Microsoft’s new Kinect patent goes Big Brother, will spy on you for the MPAA

x_First2Fight_x

Source:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

halbox-kinect-348x196.jpg

Microsoft has filed for a Kinect-related patent, and it’s a doozy of an application. The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers.

No, really. It’s that blunt. From the abstract: “The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.”

It’s refreshing to see Microsoft eschewing its play-nice-with-everyone approach to business for some old-fashioned, straight-up evil. The patent’s various claims can endow a device with a limited number of performances in a given period of time, a limited number of users allowed to view such performances, and the continuous monitoring of viewers during those performances. It also covers the determination of “when performance of the content to an identified user exceeds a threshold.”

MS-KinectPatent.png

The really interesting thing about this patent is that it suggests that copyright holders are allowed to govern performances in otherwise private dwellings. The application describes how the patent could be applied to head-mounted devices, large screens, gaming and media products, computers, and even mobile phones. Clearly, this isn’t just a method for cracking down on illicit big-screen viewings of movies and television that might plausibly be called a public performance.

Perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised. This is the logical extension of the “you only buy a license” philosophy that rules the content provider universe. Microsoft’s misstep here is in filing for a patent on devices that can onlyprovide a personal viewing experience. Getting 50 people together to watch a movie on someone’s 84-inch television may indeed count as a public performance, as far as copyright law is concerned. Two people watching a movie on a 10-inch iPad, on the other hand, isn’t quite the same thing. MS’s new patent covers both scenarios.

Recent developments in US copyright law could leave a patent like this without much of a bite. Last summer, Judge Posner on the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals struck down a lower court ruling that claimed embedding a video in a website qualified as copyright infringement. In the decision, Posner held that viewing an uploaded video does not infringe on copyright law’s reproductive or distributive rights. The law, he wrote, is unclear on whether or not the act of viewing content infringes on a copyright holder’s performance rights.

This question could have a significant impact on whether or not copyright holders spring for systems like the one Microsoft is trying to patent. If viewing a video online constitutes a performance infringement, rightsholders could mandate a user-detection scheme under the auspices of the DMCA. If it doesn’t, no electronics company on Earth will want to touch the idea for fear of a consumer backlash.

I must admit, Microsoft is doing an amazing job at ensuring that no one will want to buy their new console.

Edited by x_First2Fight_x
  • Like 3

don't know even know what to say about this. Surely they won't actually enforce a fee for too many people watching, right?

I think this is playing to the notion of Microsoft wanting the XboxOne to be an entertainment console, and not a gaming console. So yes, if they think they can get more $$$ because you have too many people watching a movie, then I could easily see them trying to do it.

Even if it's "just a patent," you don't try and patent something unless you intend to use it. From the sounds of their entertainment system.. I mean XboxOne.. this is right up the alley of what they're trying to accomplish. This, added onto them using Skype for the chat system (mind you, Skype is under investigation for illegally monitoring its users calls) just means that Microsoft is too busy trying to stick its nose where it doesn't belong.

• Like 1

Xbox One? More like Xbox One Nine Eight Four. Who the cock thought tv and surveillance is a good direction for One? Fuck it, I'm gonna start searching my nose for probes and hightailing it to Mars. Maybe I can find some titties before I meet Kuato Hirai and start the reactor...

FUCKIT_zps541fa126.gif

c wut eye done did rite der?

• Like 1

well first thing that comes to mind is "nope, I will never buy this system" the kinect is cool dont get me wrong, it is an impressive piece of hardware. But to go "Big Brother" on its customers? that is an invation on personal living or whatever (cant think of the right wording). next thing we know the government will try to get their cia and stuff thru there and spy on anyone they want. It is a home they need a warrent to do that stuff (in the states at least)

Even if it's "just a patent," you don't try and patent something unless you intend to use it. From the sounds of their entertainment system.. I mean XboxOne.. this is right up the alley of what they're trying to accomplish. This, added onto them using Skype for the chat system (mind you, Skype is under investigation for illegally monitoring its users calls) just means that Microsoft is too busy trying to stick its nose where it doesn't belong.

Agreed.

If I recall correctly, Sony patented a way to block used games from being played on their consoles. I don't foresee Sony trying to use that patent and I don't foresee Microsoft actually implementing this one.

That being said, if Microsoft ever added this to the Xbox I'd be done with them completely. I'd never even consider purchasing a new system from them and I'd strongly consider replacing my PC with a Mac. As crappy a company as Apple is, they've never (to my knowledge) done anything like Microsoft is potentially considering.

Parker

Yep I remember the same. patents are often there just to protect ideas. so many exist that have never been used...

in regards to all this kinect hate, You guys realise you could just obstruct the camera on it ?

This is one thing I'm genuinely curious about. I'm wondering if the Kinect has the power to turn the Xbox off or prevent it from being played if it doesn't detect anyone in its field of vision. Microsoft hasn't said anything about it (and I'm not claiming that they have, or that this is a feature) but for a system so dependent on Kinect I could certainly see it as a possibility.

Parker

If this thing is reading heat signatures to count bodies, that is not the standard camera, so you cannot just block the camera and be okay.

if it can read a heat sig through an obstruction, the xbox will be very very expensive, trust me, most people wouldn't be able to buy it ...

This is one thing I'm genuinely curious about. I'm wondering if the Kinect has the power to turn the Xbox off or prevent it from being played if it doesn't detect anyone in its field of vision. Microsoft hasn't said anything about it (and I'm not claiming that they have, or that this is a feature) but for a system so dependent on Kinect I could certainly see it as a possibility.

Parker

I highly doubt it unless you chose to do so for power saving for example. Lots of people have consoles inside of hi-fi furniture - it wouldn't work well if you had to leave doors open :)

I was reading an article about the Xbox One's features on a humor site, and they said you and a friend can accidentally catch each other masturbating now (referring to Skype and the Kinect always being on :lol: )

I think it was Cracked.com :lol:

I read the same "article" :lol: