First Final Fantasy

jjmello23

I'm a long standing Final Fantasy fan way back since the early 90's, but I would say that the FF13, 13-2 and Lightning Returns are not really a good point to start at all. I sunk hundreds of hours into all three collectively and after all that time, i think they are solid RPG's, but they aren't Final Fantasy games. 

My advice - You could probably do okay with paying the Final Fantasy X Remaster, Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age or Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition to get started. Then after that, if you want to experience them all - move on to the retro games like Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7 & Final Fantasy 9

I would honestly put off the 13 trilogy to the very end of your experiences though. They aren't defining FF experiences at all.

If you want a nice experience with Final fantasy game in my opinion you should play the follow FF games in any order you want: Final fantasy 1, 7, 8, and 10. After FF X I don't think you could find a nice game, for that reason in my opinion FF died after X-2. FF XII looks very nice because it's a kind of online game but offline and you can do a lot of stuff so maybe it may be a nice choice as well.

I would go in this order all of them are on PS4 too for you to dive into.

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster

Final Fantasy IX 

Final Fantasy XII

Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster 

Final Fantasy XII-2 (PS Now or PS3) 

Otherwise if you have a PSP, PS Vita or PS3 i would also recommend 

Final Fantasy Crisis Core (UMD PSP only)

Final Fantasy Dissidia PSV & PSP

Final Fantasy VI PSV & PSP / PS3

Final Fantasy VIII PSV & PSP/ PS3

Really the best one to start with is Dirge of Cerberus, then watch Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, next play Chocobo Racing for the PS1 and finally (if you have time) PLAY FINAL FANTASY 6...BECAUSE OF COURSE YOU SHOULD PLAY M@TH#RF@%!NG FINAL FANTASY 6 FIRST.

?

Edited by Dr_Mayus

Each to their own, really.

There are some people who had to suffer with FF Mystic Quest as their first... There are some people who were lucky to enough to experience FFVII as their first (Guilty as charged). 

It doesn’t matter which FF you start with, many are masterpieces in their own right. 

Someone else’s opinion shouldn’t influence your choices, try the franchise for yourself. 

I’m about to be hypocritical with what I’m about to say... But, **ck it. 

FFVII was my first FF. I experienced it in ‘98 at a friends house; His father had a PlayStation that consisted of Adult Themed games... Games like Tekken and Broken Sword.

I was mesmerised. I had never experienced these style of games. The story, the gameplay, the graphics... (at the time, the C.G graphics were groundbreaking) were ahead of their time, by miles...

Thanks to technology (emualtors, ROMs, the internet) you can experience any FF. 

If you are a true gamer, you’ll be like a appraiser; you’ll spot a sloppy zirconium and then, you’ll spot a pure diamond.

Sorry, I believe I’m ranting on about pointless sh*t, but alcohol brings out the best of us, doesn’t it? 

..at times 

On 11/16/2018 at 5:12 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

...play Chocobo Racing for the PS1...

I am still hoping that the cancelled 3DS version of the game will still happen. probably my favorite racing game of all time.

IMO, you could play any of the main FF game as starting FF game, starting with Prequels/Sequels is not a good idea though since you would probably be confused with the plot. If you are interested, I think a physical copy of XIII is cheap right now(I think XIII has no digital copy[?]), I just don't know though if you easily find a copy of it though.

Be warned though, XIII is a series that you would either love or hate. Well, tbh most of FF games are like that. *shrug*