How are Free As A Bird earned after Near shutdown?

grifteskymfning

Not to name or shame anyone, but how are players earning the Free As A Bird trophy after the complete shutdown of Near in July 2017?

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Termination-of-support-for-near-and-Live-from-PlayStation-applications-on-PlayStation-Vita

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2990-minecraft/Lazkin?order=date

Hmm, it appears one of the users who has earned this trophy after the Near closure has earned a DLC trophy for the Vita Edition of Minecraft. I know you can earn missing timestamps for Vita games as long as you are playing the physical version (all 3 Minecraft PlayStation Editions have physical options), but for this user to earn the "Feeling ill" trophy with a missing timestamp is impossible. To earn this trophy you'll need to have the game updated to patch 1.52 or greater, but to update an application to the recent version requires internet connection and to be signed into your PSN account. To earn a "missing timestamp" on a PS3 or Vita you'll need to earn the trophy before doing both of these steps. Since earning this trophy with such timestamp cannot be done due to the circumstances of this trophy being added to the Minecraft Vita Edition trophy collection post-release among other things, this is a flaggable offence.

Here's a line from the forum topic "What Constitutes A Flag?"

• "No Timestamp" - If you have trophies without timestamps, it means that you earned trophies before connecting to the internet and setting up your PSN account on your console. Typically you shouldn't get flagged for this unless these are online-only trophies which could not be earned without previously setting up online PSN account.

While this only mentions earning Online Trophies with missing timestamps is flaggable, it doesn't take a Boy Genius to know the situation I just discussed above the quote is against legitimate means.

EDIT: Turns out this user has earned not just one, but two DLC trophies with missing timestamps, the other one being "Cheating Death".

Edited by Skeptical69

I do not have the game so I can not make any checks on it, but found such a comment:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/4988279-post4.html

So in case if you have to "receive" the sent bird, you will not be able to. Hopefully it works as @Sergenmentioned, that only "sending" counts, but it has to be confirmed.

Whole subject here:
https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/angry-birds-trilogy-vita-/258163-near-closure-might-effect-game.html

Edited by Smashero

3 minutes ago, Smashero said:

So in case if you have to "receive" the sent bird, you will not be able to. Hopefully it works as @Sergenmentioned, that only "sending" counts, but it has to be confirmed.

That is why I am asking. I have the game, but I don't want to start it without confirmation that it actually works. With only two achievers in the last year plus, one might suspect FOWL play.

1 minute ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Can't you make an alt account and test it?

It's not that easy on Vita to do that kind of thing since it only supports one profile without a reset. I think there are work arounds, but it's not as easy as it should be.

The game has never been on a good sale in NA that I've seen so I wouldn't know about the trophy.

Edited by Elvick_

Just now, Elvick_ said:

It's not that easy on Vita to do that kind of thing since it only supports one profile without a reset. I think there are work arounds, but it's not as easy as it should be.

The game has never been on a good sale in NA that I've seen so I wouldn't know about the trophy.

Didn't know about this.So i can't play jrpg that are released only in japan?

31 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Didn't know about this.So i can't play jrpg that are released only in japan?

you can import it, or gameshare with yourself if you follow this guide

for example, a friend of mine used it to play a HK region-locked MMORPG on his main account

Edited by Trope Hore

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/11/2018 at 10:23 AM, grifteskymfning said:

Not to name or shame anyone, but how are players earning the Free As A Bird trophy after the complete shutdown of Near in July 2017?

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Termination-of-support-for-near-and-Live-from-PlayStation-applications-on-PlayStation-Vita

On 26/11/2018 at 10:39 AM, Sergen said:

I've seen people say that the trophy still works because you can start sending birds and the game registers that although near doesn't work. It wouldn't work if it was the other way around and you had to receive the birds. 

I've got the platinum in this and you can only send one bird on migration at a time, you then have to receive that bird back via near before you can send the next one.  Thus it is impossible to get the "free as a bird" trophy without near and so the platinum is unobtainable to new players. As far as I know there is no workaround for this that doesn't involve cheating.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Without looking at the profiles mentioned, what is a possibility is that someone had sent out all birds except the big red one. To get the trophy, all you'd have to do is sent out the last bird, it doesn't have to return. So if only your last bird was left (because you didn't unlock enough panels yet) you could earn the trophy by sending out the last bird, without being able to upload it to near.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2019 at 0:38 PM, Baron_Bonk said:

Without looking at the profiles mentioned, what is a possibility is that someone had sent out all birds except the big red one. To get the trophy, all you'd have to do is sent out the last bird, it doesn't have to return. So if only your last bird was left (because you didn't unlock enough panels yet) you could earn the trophy by sending out the last bird, without being able to upload it to near.

True, though given the fact that you really needed to boost the other birds unlikely.  In most cases I've seen thowever the player has earned all the trophies after the closure of near.

Edited by aerosol_grey

4 hours ago, aerosol_grey said:

True, though given the fact that you really needed to boost the other birds unlikely.  In most cases I've seen thowever the player has earned all the trophies after the closure of near.

In those cases it's pretty much clear that the trophy couldn't be earned legit I guess.