Top 5 favorite & least favorite platinums in 2018

ObsiEez

I only have 28 platinums, and of those 9 are 2018 and I'm expecting another two this month before closing the year, making it only 11 total this year. I liked all the games themselves, but in terms of annoying trophies and plats....

5 Best platinums

1. FFXII TZA (PS4): What an amazing game! It was such an upgrade from the PS2 version, I loved every minute of it. The trophies had their annoying bits like that Great Crystal, Trial Mode and filling the bestiary, but I enjoyed the exploration and challenge this games platinum gave.

2. Collar x Malice (Vita): An otome game and one of my favourite at that. Easy platinum, but lots of bad endings so best done with a walkthrough. I loved the story and characters, so it was very enjoyable to platinum. 

3. Atelier Sophie (Vita): It was my first Atelier game and one I got free on PS Plus many months ago. As a newbie to the series  I struggled with the post game bosses as I found the alchemy hard to get my head around, but managed to overcome it with the help of fellow PSN Profiles members advice! The alchemy was a new thing for me, but I found the game quite fun and am curious to play Firis now. The story was a bit weak, but the gameplay was good.

4. Steam Prison (Vita): Great story, humorous to a degree and fun to play. 

5. Life is Strange Before the storm (PS4): I loved Life is Strange and found the sequel to be just as good if not better as I really liked Chloe from the first game. It was too short in my opinion, but it was very interesting to find out about Chloe and Rachel. The trophies were again super easy and simple, I liked watching Chloe get into foul mouthed fights. 

5 Worst Platinums

1. Nier Automata (PS4): I know this game got a lot of hype but I found it really boring. I'm not into robots and thought the story was very weird, with most of the endings being nothing more than a few lines of dialogue and the credit rolling. I couldn't follow what was going on in this game at all, I just played it out of curiosity. It was beautifully designed with fantastic gameplay,music and character design, but I think it had so much more potential story-wise. Trophies were bland... just bought them all in the trophy shop.

2. Amnesia World (Vita):  This was a birthday gift from a Japanese friend who visit me in London. I liked the game and the CGs, but those mini games were a pain in the butt. I hated the rhythm game, but in general I disdain rhythm games of any kind as I suck badly at them. No Hatsune miku for me. If it weren't for all the annoying mini games, this game was actually a pretty good FD.

3. Code Realize Bouquet of roses (PS4): Two games in one disc but only one plat which isn't exactly an appeal to trophy hunters. But it was a fun game and easy plat. I loved the characters and story.... but there should be two plats...

4. Amnesia Later x Crowd (Vita): I love the Amnesia games, and found this FD fun. Again, two games only 1 plat... who made this concept? Just no, there should be one plat per game.

5. Psychadelica of the black butterfly (Vita): I found this boring, didn't enjoy the characters or story. At least it was short and easy. 

I plan on finishing of Ephemeral Fantasy on Dark by the end of the year. In 2019, I plan on playing Code Realize shirogane no kiseki, Collar x Malice unlimited, Kingdom Hearts 3, Hakuouki and Spyro. After that, in my backlog remains Beyond two souls and Heavy Rain free from PS Plus to platinum, and KH 1.5 + 2.5 which I will never platinum anyway but will play for fun. 

Games I want to buy and hopefully plat in the coming year are Little Dragons Cafe and Atelier Firis.

3 hours ago, dmason2011 said:

My top 5 of 2018 plats 

1. Marvel’s Spider-Man

2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered

3. Wolfenstein: The New Order

4. Final Fantasy 12

5. Assassin’s creed Origins

The worst games I got a platinum in

1. Little Adventure on the Prairie

2. Cars race-o-rama

3. Word search by POWGI 

4. Goosebumps: The Game

5. Dying: Reborn

I know the word search game is just that. But it just would never end. Worst part about it I did it on both the PS4 and Vita. 

Thats what happens when people play a game because they want a platinum trophy, not to enjoy the game itself.

I like word search and I bought the game to gradually play it and, eventually, platinum. I won’t play it on PS4, just the vita version, it doesn’t make any sense to rush a game like this. That’s why it “never ends”, there are over 300 grids to complete, the same thing all over again. But if you play at least one grid per day, the game isn’t as painful as it looks.

3 hours ago, TurtlePM said:

Thats what happens when people play a game because they want a platinum trophy, not to enjoy the game itself.

I like word search and I bought the game to gradually play it and, eventually, platinum. I won’t play it on PS4, just the vita version, it doesn’t make any sense to rush a game like this. That’s why it “never ends”, there are over 300 grids to complete, the same thing all over again. But if you play at least one grid per day, the game isn’t as painful as it looks.

I played the vita version 12 puzzles at a time and slowly got the platinum. The PS4 I rushed through. I did find myself as you can see from my list playing some games just for the platinum. This next year I plan to play the games I want to play and go for the plats I really want to achieve. That doesn’t me I won’t have easy plats but at least I will enjoy it more. 

Only got 7 plats this year, although I have picked up a bunch of 100%'s as well. Been playing a lot on PC and spending yet more time in FFXIV, plus trying to focus on clearing backlog and completing games rather than necessarily getting platinums.

Best:
Ratchet & Clank (2016) - I love this series, and this is a damn fine game. No qualms about the two playthroughs or the slight grind for weapon exp either, it's not a big one and the combat is fun. The gold race times are a little awkward but not too bad.

NioH - Took a while to click with the gameplay but once it does, it feels real nice. Some of the DLC gets a bit ridiculous and the wheel assholes can go die in a fire, but otherwise a fun time.

Bloodborne - One of my favourite games of all time, just needed to go back and get one of the ending trophies to finish off the plat. Decided to start a new run using a different build, was really enjoyable.

Apotheon - There's a lot to like about this game. Combat is a bit clunky but it's got a lot of charm to it, I'll be interested to see what these devs do in the future. Relatively straightforward plat as well, although Olympian difficulty can be tough in places. Can just glitch past it if you want, but I enjoyed it enough to give it another playthrough.

Deadly Tower of Monsters - A good romp with a ton of early sci-fi b-movie charm, which is something I personally find very endearing. Love that style and this game hits all the right beats for that. Easy plat and straightforward trophies for the most part also other than finding all the targets.

Worst:
Jak 3 - I really like Jak & Daxter, so went on to Jak II. But then Jak II is absolute garbage, but eventually completed it anyway out of spite. Made sense to finish off the trilogy since I had all three on my list, thankfully Jak 3 is a lot better than II but it's still got a bunch of stuff which is a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

Top 5

1. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition- What a hidden gem this game was. Had an absolute blast 100%ing it and really enjoyed the storyline. Bummed we will probably never see a Sleeping Dogs 2.

2. Need for Speed- Just challenging enough that it isn't a mindless walkthrough, but not so difficult that you are rage-quitting during races. I like the storyline that interconnected all of the missions as well.

3. inFamous First Light- I'm a big inFamous fan in general and it was high time to earn this platinum. The Arenas were a tad grindy, but I enjoyed upgrading Fetch's powers and unlocking her full potential.

4. Madden NFL 17- My first Madden plat came without too much of a grind or fuss. Sports games were my first gaming love so I always will have a soft spot for them.

5. MLB The Show 18- Same as Madden, though this is my second MLB the Show plat (my first being the first plat I ever earned).

Bottom 5

1. Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness- This game was 10 degrees of awful. Mindlessly skipping through a boring story 29313391339 different ways and grinding a 2048 rip-off. Awful.

2. Wheels of Aurelia- Not really my type of game. Though, in fairness, I don't know whose type of game it would be.

3. Claire- Boring plotline, derivative gameplay, annoyingly needed to play through twice even though the first time was a dull affair (it couldn't keep my interest for the ~3 hour long playthroughs).

4. Back to the Future: The Game- Stopped trying to enjoy this Telltale effort and just read a guide about 3 chapters in so I wouldn't have to clean up missables. Boring.

5. Burly Men At Sea- Thankfully short, didn't really grab my attention. Tried too hard to be artsy.

• Like 1

Favorites (1 being the best)

1. Horizon Zero Dawn

2. Yakuza Kiwami 2

3. Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight

4. Spider-Man (only because of the random crimes. This would have been my favorite otherwise)

5. Yakuza 6

Least favorites (1 being the worst)

1. Shenmue II (the QTEs glitched frequently)

2. Life is Strange Before the Storm

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Batman the Enemy Within

5. Shenmue

Which leaves Gravity Rush Remastered as the average.

Once I finish P3D, that's probably taking 3rd place for favorites.

Best:

1. God of War. I’d never played this series before and had a blast playing this, can’t wait for more.

2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Again I was kind of new to this series but had always heard about this one being better than Mankind Divided, and it definitely was (even though I really liked that one too). Can’t get enough of Adam Jensen.

3. Uncharted 2. Not my first time playing but it’d been a few years since I’d gone through it and mainly went back for the online trophies. Boosted with one of the nicest groups I’ve met ?. Doing another playthrough also convinced me this was the best Uncharted, for a while I’d always held out that it was 3.

4. Marvel’s Spider-Man. I was let down by a few minor things, but couldn’t have asked for better with the story and gameplay.

5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Much better than what I was expecting, mainly because I didn’t think I’d come to care for Nadine, but she was great! All of the Uncharteds are pretty great in this regard but it had probably the best looking scenery.

Worst:

1. CoD: Black Ops. I just really hated zombies mode and was lagging constantly. Someone was nice enough to offer to help but I was almost never in the mood to get on and play with him because it was always a frustrating experience. One of the trophies was based on using a weapon from a mystery box and it took me forever to finally get it.

2. Far Cry 2. Servers were awful, trophies ridiculously grindy

3. Wolfenstein. Liked the story on my second run, but boosted the online with someone from Chile who seemed nice but didn’t speak any English, so we were google translating back and forth constantly and it took longer than I’d have liked.

4. CoD: MW3. Found the co op really aggravating at times, a couple of the missions were honestly some of the hardest experiences I’ve had. I don’t mind difficulty but it was annoying to be doing well then having 40+ minutes gone to waste thanks to one enemy.

5. Beyond: Two Souls. There are some elements to the game I like but I just found the plat so boring, I didn’t care for the story or most of the characters enough to want to sit through all the different endings for who Jodie ends up with.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Favourite:

1 - Dead by Daylight

2 - Steins;Gate

3 - Styx: Master of Shadows

4 - Far Cry 5

5 - God of War

Least Favourite:

1 - Flynn and Freckles

2 - Zero Time Dilemma

3 - Phobos Vector Prime: The First Ring