CHOSEN CHAMPION?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take home the champion crown?

• Dragon-Archon
    • Fabiansc83
    • Jemmie
    • Kevvik
    • Kingofbattle8174
    • Ladynadiad
    • Leon Castle
    • Sealightbreeze
    • Warped Savior
    • xZoneHunter

2 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I belive he is referring to using the leaderboard 25 position. Most of the time I have seen 50th used.

No. 25th percentile. You'd just look at the number of platinum achievers and do the 25th percentile. So if there are 1000 platinum achievers, you'd look at the time for the 250th fastest time. If there are 2000 achievers, you would use the 500th fastest time. It would require a small amount of arithmetic, but it's actually a really fair way to do it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eigen-space said:

No. 25th percentile. You'd just look at the number of platinum achievers and do the 25th percentile. So if there are 1000 platinum achievers, you'd look at the time for the 250th fastest time. If there are 2000 achievers, you would use the 500th fastest time. It would require a small amount of arithmetic, but it's actually a really fair way to do it.

I've been a member of this site for over five years, and this is the first time I realized that the fastest achievers list went on past the first page. Wow.

9 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

Ok I see what you mean now. That should give a good average time.

3 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Ok I see what you mean now. That should give a good average time.

This was the multiplier breakdown we decided on for our event. The only other stipulation was that a game had to be released at least 3 months before the 25th percentile time was captured (alternately, you could always "recalculate " at the end of the event). We thought it was pretty fair based on calculations we did for various games, but you could certainly tweak it to suit this event better if it's what you ultimately decide to go with:

0-1 Day - x0.1
1-2 Days - x0.5
2-7 Days - x1
7-14 Days - x1.5
14-30 Days - x2
30+ Days - x3

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, eigen-space said:

I'm not a fan of this method due to it also adding time that isn't spent on the game. For RPGs (that usually take a long time to plat) people can take weeks or even months to plat them, while the amount of time required to plat it wouldn't even be so high. A good example is Dungeon Travelers 2. It has a massive grind to defeat 20,000 monsters and takes around 75 hours to plat, but if you look at the 25th percentile (41st place out of 165) it goes to 1 month and 1 week.

• Like 1

I also prefer looking at guides when determining a games length. And in the case there are no guides available, you can just be honest about the time you spent on said game. Even if someone would try to cheat on this, we're on a forum full with gamers. The chance of someone being the only one that has played the game is pretty low. 

I'd like to not see the scoring become overly complicated. A few tweaks such as bonus games and score modifiers based on various aspects are good, but let's not try to add too much. Otherwise most people wont really feel bothered to count their scores and we'll end up spending more time calculating our scores than actually playing RPGs ?

As for my bonus games;

2x

• Dragon Age: Origins
  • Digimonstory: Hacker's memory (let's try this again lol)

3x

• Megadimension Neptunia VII-R

EDIT: I gave my vote to Warpedsavior, GL!

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I'm not a fan of this method due to it also adding time that isn't spent on the game.

Very true. 

However, the way I view multipliers for contests like these is that you're looking for a good way to compare the length of time of one game's platinum to another game's platinum. Instead of looking at 2-3 guides which rely on the opinion of completion time from just a small handful of people for an "exact" time, you'd be getting a time proxy based on real data from hundreds of people (as a statistician, I prefer hundreds/thousands of data points that are collected using the same methodology over a few "expert" opinions). You'll probably find that when you compare your play time experience among games, games that you spent 40hrs on will have similar proxy times to each other when looking at the 25th percentile (works better than an average because, from what I saw, completion times aren't normally distributed but, rather, have long-tailed distributions).

Regardless, it's just another way to compare games. No one is ever going to be happy with a single method :P

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I will say if we cannot get to a good consensus that we can forgo it entirely. Some dont want to over complicate things and either option has its drawbacks.

I'm ok with this method:

21 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

A couple of people have asked about this. It seems to be something people want, if a few more say yes, then maybe 10 points per 10 hours of gameplay, so 0 to ten hours would be 10 points. As rated by the average time posted on the trophy guide posted here or another site. If the number is something like 50-75 hours go with the higher number. A plus sign is a little ambiguous as it could be 15 hours or another 100 hours, so if it has a plus sign add 15 points on the backend.

As for the second double point game: I'll go with Ys Origin.

55 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I will say if we cannot get to a good consensus that we can forgo it entirely. Some dont want to over complicate things and either option has its drawbacks.

I'm okay with this too. It seems like several people will be unhappy no matter the method we choose, so maybe just disregarding time is best.

That being said, BEHOLD! My bonus games have arrived!

Double Points:

1. Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online
  2. Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls

Triple Points:

1. Megadimension Neptunia VII

Let's Play Bonus + Beast Mode Bonus + Multiplier Bonus = Ultimate Point Typhoon of Absolute Destruction!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I am still considering my options before I post my choices. Has anyone played Conception ? I saw a bit of the anime, how is the game though?

Yeah I played Conception 2, it's by far the worst DRPG I've played along with Mind=0. So. Much. Leveling. And. RNG. You need to go through every dungeon every time a new one unlocks to level up star kids, which are added to your party. They have a level cap, so you must create new ones whenever the story progresses and new dungeons unlock, but they all start at level 1. Then there's lots of RNG crap such as events and trophy-related things. Events also depend on affection level, so if you raise the affection too much you miss out on certain RNG events.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

25 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Yeah I played Conception 2, it's by far the worst DRPG I've played along with Mind=0. So. Much. Leveling. And. RNG. You need to go through every dungeon every time a new one unlocks to level up star kids, which are added to your party. They have a level cap, so you must create new ones whenever the story progresses and new dungeons unlock, but they all start at level 1. Then there's lots of RNG crap such as events and trophy-related things. Events also depend on affection level, so if you raise the affection too much you miss out on certain RNG events.

Thanks for the heads up. I  knee deep in dragons this weekend. I am on the last boss of devious dungeon. I also picked up  Fire and Blood today. History of the Targarians will have to hold me over for now. 

Ok so we will drop that option.

Inb4 people start playing short RPGs to rack up points.

7 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I  knee deep in dragons this weekend. I am on the last boss of devious dungeon. I also picked up  Fire and Blood today. History of the Targarians will have to hold me over for now. 

Sure, no problem. I'm working on Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. Aiming to get it done before KH3, I might actually make it.

Ok, I've got my double and triple games...

Triple - Skyrim

Double - Omega Quintet, Sword Art Online re: Hollow Fragment (PS4)

All games I've been planning on finally getting to this year. Start with those, finish others I've started and toss in a few shorter ones (blasphemy, I know) I've been meaning to get mixed in this year. The shorter ones will be good to throw in at KYC time as it gets frustrating sometimes trying to give a fair impression for a 100+hr game off 5-6 hours.

I already posted my bonus games in a post a bit above. Here it is again.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:25 PM, Warpedsavior said:

Here are my bonus game picks:

Triple points: 

Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded

Double points:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope Remastered 

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition