Save file is HUGE

Neme-ita

Nowadays save files aren't just some bits of code with your progress coded, they often contain multiple heavy files such as sounds, textures etc. I've read somewhere that some games save a few seconds of the entire game engine, you can see this when a game takes a long to load after save because it has to generate the entire level/map from scratch. I'm not a game designer tho, maybe someone smarter will explain.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

Nowadays save files aren't just some bits of code with your progress coded, they often contain multiple heavy files such as sounds, textures etc. I've read somewhere that some games save a few seconds of the entire game engine, you can see this when a game takes a long to load after save because it has to generate the entire level/map from scratch. I'm not a game designer tho, maybe someone smarter will explain.

Former game developer (from three years ago) and current programmer here, there's no good reason why a game like RE7 or KH3 should need saves I'm the hundreds of megabytes. Most likely it's a lack of willingness to spend time optimising this because "consoles have 1TB hard drives now, who cares?", or a lack of time due to other duties taking precedence that will affect sales or player experience more. It's a sad reflection on how much thought and care gets put into peripheral features like save size, but I suppose I can say that from my ivory tower of no more deadlines now I've left the industry.

Key takeaway is that anyone that tells you save files for games like Kingdom Hearts need to be this big is either lying or misinformed. It's a shortcut, sometimes it might be justified but OP is right to be annoyed.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jdizzle0420 said:

The LBP3 one was also 500+ MB...

LittleBigPlanet 3 has multiple save files tied to the different aspects of the game (Adventure Save, Poppit Puzzle Save, The Journey Home Save, User Profile Save and so on). But is the Kingdom Hearts 3 save data a single file or multiple saves as I just mentioned for LBP3?

And yes, the PS Plus auto upload is very useful. It backs up my saves even when my console is on as my brother is using his account on the PS4.

Just now, ThaiChi said:

Are you exaggerating? How is it taking you an hour to transfer to a flash drive? It took me 3 minutes. It takes just a couple of seconds to upload to cloud backup.

Some USB drives transfer extremely slowly to/from the console. For example I have a really cheap 2GB USB drive that transfers in seconds but then when I plug in a 32GB USB drive I have it takes a comically long time. This is a good video from back in the day highlighting this conundrum lol