The Last of Us General Discussion *Potential Spoilers*

Parker

Before I start, SPOILERS.

I just finished the game an hour ago, I would like to say that I liked the ending, it shows a side of Joel that we new was already there and haven't really seen. It shows how much Ellie means to him. How much pain he has already been through and he can't give up another person he has cared so much about(Talking about how he lost his daughter, Sarah if I can remember correctly.) I wish I couldn't kill the doctors, but when he gets in between Ellie and him he had to go.When he lies to Ellie's face because he wanted to protect her made me feel for Joel. I loved the minimal animals in the games whenever they showed up they put a smile on my face. Ellie as a character was amazing to be around and when your in winter trying to survive by yourself only makes the immersion more intense and when Ellie is locked up in the restaurant and has to kill David(Who was another great character in the game and well voiced by Nolan North himself) Joel turns up after Ellie is slashing him in the face the moment of relief to be in one each others hands was a spectacle to watch. The only times when I teared up in the game was very early on when Sarah innocently gets killed in Joel's arms and when Sam and Henry dies, just when Joel and Henry start to like each other Henry kills the newly infected Sam and then takes his own life because of the act, that's when I new it was serious and shit happens because of it. The Hospital combat was intense and I got killed because I suck at the game although after I was done the pay off, of sticking to it was rewarding. The infected early on was really hard to kill mainly because I didn't know how to kill him easy, but towards the end I was killing all the infected in sight. Combat against humans are much more rewarding to do,enemies will try to search you out when you kill their mates and they just don't all run towards where you last were. If they only have a melee weapon they run in zig-zags now and again. They will come from all angels and you better be ready if you get spotted. 

All in all it was a great experience and I was happy I bought it, Although I wish I pre-ordered it to get the sights and sounds pack.

Edited by X_Kustoms_X

needs a prequel

A1MmvET.jpg

While I know this is a joke, I'm not sure if I want to see another game. I'm sure due to the success there will be one but I hope Joel and Ellie aren't the main characters as I feel their story ended perfectly like it is. I'd love to see new characters who talk of Joel and Ellie but I think another game with them would kinda ruin this one. Who knows though, I think Naughty Dog are probably the most talented gaming developers out there (along with Polyphony Digital, of course) and I'm sure whatever they do will be amazing. Maybe an Uncharted game where Drake somehow disturbs something that causes the whole infection to spread.  :lol:

Parker

While I know this is a joke, I'm not sure if I want to see another game. I'm sure due to the success there will be one but I hope Joel and Ellie aren't the main characters as I feel their story ended perfectly like it is. I'd love to see new characters who talk of Joel and Ellie but I think another game with them would kinda ruin this one. Who knows though, I think Naughty Dog are probably the most talented gaming developers out there (along with Polyphony Digital, of course) and I'm sure whatever they do will be amazing. Maybe an Uncharted game where Drake somehow disturbs something that causes the whole infection to spread.  :lol:

Parker

I agree, I feel the same way about the ending. While there was a little disappointment b/c nothing really happens, it's also perfect that nothing happens. I though this would be a game that would have a sad ending, and I'm kinda glad it didn't. You gotta expect that there will be at least one sequel, but I don't really want one. However, I must note that Naughty Dog did say that the DLC being released will be predominately single player, if not all of it. So,I'm kinda eager to see what they do with it.

This is by far one of my favourite games. The story was amazing and I loved all of the characters that we were introduced to. It really is a must have game for this year and the story will stick with you for a long time. It's one of the only games that has made me emotional, which is a good thing imo, lol. If/when ND begin to create another game for this franchise, I'd love to see a sequel focusing on Ellie & Riley. I read the American Dreams comics, and I think that their story would be really exciting, fun and scary to play. But I'd rather not see anymore of Joel and Ellie, as much as I loved them and their journey, there's not much else to it and if there is, I'd rather see it in DLC form rather than an entirely new game. 

I finished The Last of Us.

Wow,just wow.

I've played a lot of games in my lifetime,and I never played a game that made me this emotional for 2 characters in a game.

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

I'm sorry,but I would have the same thing Joel did for Ellie.

As far as I'm concered,mankind had it's chance,and they failed.

Why should Joel give her up to help the people that gave them hell :angry:

Even if he did give her up,would the cure really improve mankind or would they go back to what it was before the outback? :hmm:

These are questions that I find interesting.

I'm sorry,but I would have the same thing Joel did for Ellie.

As far as I'm concered,mankind had it's chance,and they failed.

Why should Joel give her up to help the people that gave them hell :angry:

Even if he did give her up,would the cure really improve mankind or would they go back to what it was before the outback? :hmm:

These are questions that I find interesting.

Also, there's a collectible somewhere that suggests the Fireflies have tried and failed with other test subjects before. So it might not have even worked anyway. Not to mention how they are going to go about manufacturing and distributing a vaccine with everything as fucked up as is it.

Joel did the right thing imo.

Also, there's a collectible somewhere that suggests the Fireflies have tried and failed with other test subjects before. So it might not have even worked anyway. Not to mention how they are going to go about manufacturing and distributing a vaccine with everything as fucked up as is it.

Joel did the right thing imo.

Agreed.

Joel needed Ellie just as much as she needed Joel.

Giving her up would have been like losing his daughter all over again.

Agreed.

Joel needed Ellie just as much as she needed Joel.

Giving her up would have been like losing his daughter all over again.

At the end of Winter when he called her 'baby girl' there was no way he'd ever let her go. I was never in any doubt during that Marlene scene. It was unthinkable.

Goes both ways to. I'm sure Ellie knew Joel was lying to her, or not telling her the whole true, at the end. Else she would have never asked. But she trusted him enough to accept his decision. 

Fuck. Such a good game!

At the end of Winter when he called her 'baby girl' there was no way he'd ever let her go. I was never in any doubt during that Marlene scene. It was unthinkable.

Goes both ways to. I'm sure Ellie knew Joel was lying to her, or not telling her the whole true, at the end. Else she would have never asked. But she trusted him enough to accept his decision. 

Fuck. Such a good game!

I noticed that too.

It really is a good game :D

• 2 weeks later...

I found that the game was a bit underwhelming for me. It may be that I ordered the European edition and that the code vouchers didn't work in the US. And that the US codes don't work on the European disc. Anyway, I found myself rushing through the game about half way through. I couldn't believe that I paid an extreme amount to be let down. The story was okay to sub-par (before you say anything, I've read several books on the apocalypse, so it's all familiar by now). I felt that it was a cross between two monster movies and a survival book. I disliked the gunplay, and in certain areas I felt like there was no stealth involved at all. The AI didn't seem all that great and the collectibles (comics/pendants) were somewhat irritating. I thought about playing a new game plus, but wound up playing other games instead or working around the house.

The visuals are indeed beautiful, but even if it is the best looking game on the planet, it will always have some flaws that some refuse to see. I found that certain items were far more prevalent than others. Sugar bombs, never used except to see what they looked like. Scissors or sharp pieces were far more uncommon than alcohol and cloth, giving me a limited number of shivs and nail bombs, but a near infinite supply (in terms of use) of med packs and molotov-cocktails. Another thing, shivs. Ellie has a knife (undoubtedly older than her) that doesn't break, but Joel can't find himself a kitchen knife? The most common weapon on the entire planet? Really? That part bugged the hell out of me. As well as calling the magazines a 'clip' and the differences in carrying different ammo types. I believe you can only carry 12 rifle rounds initially, but later in the game you can run around with 80+ rounds of assault rifle ammo. Does that even make any sense? I didn't like how all the bricks crumbled after hitting someone in the face. Even a brick that was inside and out of the elements broke with ease. Not all the brick buildings were falling apart. I don't know. Overall I'd say it's okay, but it's just one of those that I'm having a hard time playing again when I have other games to play.

Edited by Multi-Melta

SPOILERS:

If a vaccine was developed:

- The fireflys would most likely use it against quarantine zones  controlled by the army, which would just escalate violence. 

- It wouldn't work on already infected people, meaning the world is just as dangerous as before.

- The cannibal rapist hunters wouldn't be accepted back into society, so they would still remain in the citys and camps.

- Even with the chance it works, the world would take centuries to return to its previous state, which has a very small chance to begin with.

- It took Joel and Ellie the good part of a year to travel across the USA. Maybe it would be faster with vehicles, but vaccine distribution would be near impossible.

-Why would Joel sacrifice the one thing he lives for, on the off chance that something will happen he won't live to see

I fully agree with what Joel did in the end because the fireflies will probably abuse it, or there is a chance it wont work at all.

Ellie felt like his daughter and didnt want to lose another one

I would like the DLC to be about Tess, Bill or Tommy any one of those would be great and leave Joel and Ellie's story as is

Great game, good if somewhat predictable story, I mean how obvious was it that Ellie would have to be a sacrifice. The multiplayer is hard but enjoyable.

The only reason this would not be my personal GOTY is the trophies, c'mon 8 playthroughs? are you kidding me?

I would have liked to see multiple endings I.e. choose whether to let Ellie die or not, I know how Americans HAVE to have happy endings so I guess that is out of the question, also that maybe when they get back to Jackson at the end it would have been nice to find the settlement wiped out, reinforcing the inevitability of the demise of the human race. just saying.

Great game, good if somewhat predictable story, I mean how obvious was it that Ellie would have to be a sacrifice. The multiplayer is hard but enjoyable.

The only reason this would not be my personal GOTY is the trophies, c'mon 8 playthroughs? are you kidding me?

I would have liked to see multiple endings I.e. choose whether to let Ellie die or not, I know how Americans HAVE to have happy endings so I guess that is out of the question, also that maybe when they get back to Jackson at the end it would have been nice to find the settlement wiped out, reinforcing the inevitability of the demise of the human race. just saying.

Actually you only need 2 playthroughs, one playthrough and then a survivor + playthrough and all the lower difficulty trophies will unlock.

• Like 1

I just finished the game, and I'm completely in love, to me it was perfect from beginning to end (the story).

(Spoilers ahead)

Before starting to talk about the ending, I have to say that I liked every single point of the story, it was a joy to play, it's true that it has its flaws in gameplay sometimes but I'm a person who cares more about the story than other things normally. I'm still not sure about what to think about the ending though, it's complicated... I felt deeply sad for Joel towards the end, when he gets in the hospital. It was such a mixture of feelings, I was angry because of how the Fireflies were treating him after all he's been through, then I heard Marlene's recordings and became kinda sad, and then it was just shocking, he and Marlene after he gets out of the elevator.

That part was perfectly done, I was SO sad when he was in the car, thinking he was alone, and then they make the reveal, show us what really happened in the parking lot... the use of different scenes alternatively, very well done. And then the epilogue was just touching. Joel might just be one of the best video game characters ever created in my opinion.

I'm not sure if it's the best game of this generation because there are so many titles that I haven't played, but the story is definitely one of the better ones for me, and I consider it one of my top favourite games already.

Also, the collectibles were cool in this game, I often barely find anything in games, but here I have like more than 100, without looking any guides. They are not too hidden as in Uncharted though, and I've been looting everything, I have searched every area well :P

• 7 months later...

Well, here's my take on it:

Joel harboured sorrowful regret, deep-seeded anger and profound sadness following his daughter's death, which he was utterly powerless to prevent. In the case of Ellie, however, he was in a position to actually save her from death, something that we wasn't able to do for his own daughter: his daughter was taken from him without a choice, but he had a choice with Ellie - he was able to save her and he wasn't about to choose to lose Ellie, who'd essentially become the personification of his dead daughter. 

As for the cure, there was no guarantee that killing Ellie would result in a cure; it was hypothetical and without such a guarantee Joel decided that an apocalyptic world with Ellie alive and well was better than an unfounded promise of a better world without Ellie. I believe he felt he needed to atone for his own daughter's death and save Ellie, even at the expense of others. Perhaps Joel sees the world as beyond saving, and he wants what little goodness left to remain alive as long as it can - that goodness being Ellie. 

• Like 3