The Last of Us General Discussion *Potential Spoilers*

Parker

The Last of Us has finally launched and us lucky PlayStation 3 owners can get our hands on what many are calling the best game this entire generation. This thread is for all things "The Last of Us" whether it is campaign discussion, talking about multiplayer and anything in between. As such, spoilers should be expected but be courteous and use the spoiler tags if you're going to post any. 

I've played about an hour so far and the game is already absolutely stunning. The opening scene was incredible and the game looks absolutely gorgeous. The games sound design is also amazing and it is made even better with my Astro A50's. Just from the small bit I've played I can already tell this ride is going to be stunning and I can't wait until I have some time to actually delve into the game and lose myself in it. 

So, what do you guys think so far?

Parker

About an hour and a half in to the game and I'm loving it. I haven't had a chance to dabble in the multiplayer yet, the single player has been far too captivating. The opening scene has to be the most a game has ever drawn me in. Praise aside, is anyone else experiencing weird sound problems. Like, if I'm not looking at a character I can't hear them speak. So if I'm walking with Ellie behind me and she says something, I see the subtitles but hear nothing or a very quiet version of what I should hear. I didn't have this issue with the demo and was wondering if anyone else shared this problem or had a fix. I did a quick google search to no avail.

Edited by Little_FX_Radio

Question to you guys then. Are there only two multiplayer modes in the game? I would have been playing it by now but the gamestop I pre ordered at didnt have a midnight opening -_- I will be playing the single player first of course to get a feel of the game and also to experience the storyline.

I WAS getting far into it, until an autosave bug wiped out my last 2 and a half hours of progress. I'm likely back at the start now. I don't wanna play anymore until it's fixed.

If you pause and your game says AUTOSAVING PLEASE WAIT, but never actually saves, then you'll lose all progress since that started happening. There's no way to manually save while it's AUTOSAVING so the only option is to quit to xmb.

UPDATE: Apparently you can disable autosave by pressing :circle: when manually loading a file. I'll have to do that for now. JUST REMEMBER TO MANUALLY SAVE BEFORE QUITTING!!

Update 2: ok, so you CAN'T disable autosave. Just remember to save manually regularly.

Edited by ShadowGandalf

Autosave bug wiped out about 1h of my progress. Now playing offline without the 1.01 update and no problems so far.

Game looks and sounds great, story and characters will be great and im gonna enjoy those a lot. My only fear is that in some point this game gonna turn to be more like uncharted action with minimum bullets. Hopefully it never goes there.

I was wondering what this autosave bug is, but I've been saving manually regularly so hopefully I won't have an issue when I boot the game up tonight. It's a shame some people are having an issue though and hopefully Naughty Dog have a patch coming to fix it soon. 

Parker

From their facebook page.

Naughty Dog, Inc.

Hi all,

The autosave issue some of you have been encountering has been investigated thoroughly. We have determined that the cause had to do with a server we were using to capture player stats, which is why playing offline may have alleviated the issue for some players. We have addressed the issue with the server. 

All you need to do is quit any current playthrough of The Last of Us all the way out to the XMB, and then restart the game.

Existing save files are okay. Both single-player and multiplayer are okay to play. I.E. you play online in any mode.

Enjoy!

I've just reached Bill's town to get the car, and took at look through the guide at what I had already done, (which I'll be using on my next playthrough) only to find I haven't been looking for things as well as I thought I was. I've missed 9 firefly pendants so far, as well as other things. ): oh well

Apart from that, the game is incredible, and so beautiful! I love the woods you walk through before you get to Bill's.

Wonder when/what my first trophy will be...

Edited by Beeinhollywood

That save bug... Okay I got the game on thursday and played it for 6 hours and was done for the day, today I played it for around 8 hours and finished the game (very good arguably my fav game of all time). Anyways here is where things get weird I watch the credits get my Hard and Normal campaign completion trophy but no Easy, so I was like okay.... the game then froze so I had to restarted it to play on survivor difficulty and hopefully get my Easy trophy also, however I was greeted by resume at the chapter of the first 6 hours I played .___. 

I'm just going to say right now that other than Parker's original post i have not and will not read any of the comments in this thread until i have beaten the campaign. Even though Parker asked for the spoiler tags i'm sorry but I am taking no risks when it comes to the story of this game. I have been playing for about 2 hours now and what i have to say is this. The opening to the game was so powerful!!! Off the top of my head I can't think of an opening sequence that is more powerful than this game. I can tell this game will be wonderful and look forward to the ride. 

I'm not going to post any specifics as I don't feel like making a long post right now, but I've played a few more hours and one thing that really strikes me is the conversation between Joel and Ellie. I always felt like the Uncharted games had great dialogue between characters that never felt forced, but the way Ellie says and sees things and how Joel responds feels so completely natural that is it almost strange to feel it in a video game. Naughty Dog have done an outstanding job and I think these two characters are the most accurate portrayal of human beings we've ever seen in the video game medium. Absolutely impressed with their efforts. 

Parker

Does anyone know the requirements for the 'Hunter' and 'Firefly' trophies? Is it literally just a case of get to week 12 in MP and if so, how difficult would that be? It seems time consuming. Not really worried about that, but I can imagine supplies becoming very short towards the last few weeks and if you screw up and everyone dies, is it straight back to week one, all progress reset?

Does anyone know the requirements for the 'Hunter' and 'Firefly' trophies? Is it literally just a case of get to week 12 in MP and if so, how difficult would that be? It seems time consuming. Not really worried about that, but I can imagine supplies becoming very short towards the last few weeks and if you screw up and everyone dies, is it straight back to week one, all progress reset?

I think that for each of those you have to finish the 12 weeks for both teams separately and since each match counts as one day thas like 84 matches for one team so 168 for two. That being said if your colony ends up getting wiped out I think you have to start back over at week 1 day 1 for whatever side you were playing.  Still the mp is pretty fun I'm already at week 9 and i just started the mp yesterday.  

Edited by MrKittyEmperor

Thoroughly enjoyed the opening of the game, but for me everything has been downhill from there..

I do love the characters though and their interactions, the voice acting is Top Notch. 

Maybe i was just expecting too much after the 10/10 scores, i just feel its not really going anywhere and im about 45% though the game.