Is trophy hunting a waste of time your thoughts.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:26 AM, jaehyun1009 said:

To me trophy hunting provides that extra motivation to explore the game to its fullest extent in most cases. For example I wouldn't have gone the extra mile to get the 7 ultimate weapons, fight dark aeons, etc. in FFX if it weren't for trophies. I get more value out of games and earn trophies in the process, win-win situation.

I wish that was the case for every single game cause there are a few that are pretty simplistic compared to what the game offers, but FFX was a perfect example of this. I spent alot of time farming luck spheres and like an idiot maxed out luck on all characters, only scripted attacks were a guarantee hit on me. But I wouldn't have done all of that without that extra dose of motivation.

As a whole, I've gotten much more out of my game purchases now than I did before, so to me that's a huge win.

I never played with platinum in mind, until I platinized my first game and after that I started to become addicted to platinum.

Nowadays I combine the useful with the pleasant because the games are expensive and when I go to the platinum some game, I try to recover what I spent on it having fun.

I don't play for quick platinum, but I try to make the most of what the game universe has to offer me while picking up trophies in the process.

PS: Except when it is an Online Trophy, then I prefer not to even play. HAHAHAHA' 

The serious answer is no, though the less serious answer is why would it be? I'm not going to read through 7 pages of this thread to see the arguments for or against it being a waste of time but I would hope that people saying it is a waste of time are in the minority on this website? Trophy hunting isn't for everyone clearly, but to me it's a natural extension of playing the game, for better or for worse. Good games have been made shitty by the end of a horrific grind, but good games have also been elevated by meaningful exchanges with what trophies asked me to do in them. 

I love my account too. My old account was more typical, started on ps3, didn't care about trophies, so by the time I did it was too late for my completion. Leaving that account with plats I was really proud of for a new account was really hard actually, but starting a 100% platinum account, by which I mean an account with only games with an actual platinum and not just a 100%, ended up being the best decision I could have made. Building up a 100% account is an amazing feeling.

On 2021-03-12 at 6:15 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Mankind has made monumental strides throughout history. We have discovered things that nobody would even think about even 10 - 20 years ago. That is progress. Humans and life are constantly evolving, which is something I’ve always been fascinated with. I don’t tend to think that we are microscopic even though we actually are. All of the mysteries of the vast universe are probably far beyond our understanding. 50 years from now, we may have people living and sustaining a long healthy life on the Moon. The possibilities are endless. 

The way you put it is a rather grim look at reality. But that is how some people think, to each their own. I want to think I am something more than a microscope little cell inside of a constantly expanding universe, that I will never know much on because I will be dead. For every new thing we learn on the universe, there is more we don’t know.

I admit I am guilty of being a very cynical and pessimistic person when I get stuck inside my own head. My problem is that I tend to be a deep thinker. The vast majority of people go about their daily lives without ever stopping to ponder these kinds of thoughts, and part of me believes that’s almost like some sort of built in defence mechanism in our psyche, because being forced to confront the insignificance of man and torture one’s self over all the important questions we are unable to answer is scary. Being able to move through life without confronting these kinds of thoughts protects most people from going mad and sinking into some sort of existential crisis.

Way back when I was a rebellious little hellion lol, I used get enjoy getting stoned and having these sorts of discussions with people. But sometimes we would follow these kinds of thoughts down a black hole, and it was honestly terrifying. It’s just so completely overwhelming when you attempt to look at the bigger picture and wrap your mind around some of these concepts we can never truly understand.

Just look at everything that has ever happened on earth - the incredible legacy of mankind, the seemingly limitless potential of humans to solve problems, to create and build things, to ask questions and explore the world around us. The engineering marvels of the world, the impossible athletic feats performed by people, the talents of people, the skills we’ve taught ourselves and one another, the art, music, and languages we’ve created to express ourselves and connect with one another, the great, towering civilizations built and destroyed over centuries, the empires that have spanned and conquered the globe. The great societies we have built and lived in together, and pointless but hugely impactful and costly events that have shaped the world such as the endless wars we’ve fought against one another for territory, religion, politics, or for simply looking different than one another. All of the estimated 100+ billion human lives that have lived and died in this world throughout the course of human history.

ALL of that, this one, giant, massive, beautiful, fucked up swirling mass of humanity and drama that has defined the entirety of our human existence has all played out on one minuscule rock called Planet Earth. And this one planet is, compared to all the grand vastness of the infinite universe, so small and insignificant that we don’t have even a scale by which to measure or describe it. It’s so tiny that it is literally incomprehensible to the human mind, because we have no point of reference, nothing to compare it to. Your head could explode trying to wrap your mind around it.

It’s a weird place to go in your thoughts. On one hand, it makes me feel incredibly small. But on the other hand, it also fills me with an intense feeling of astonishment and wonder, and causes me to realize how little we actually know or understand anything at all. 

The only thing I know for absolute certain is that I love the dopamine rush I get when a trophy pops. Ding!

• Like 1