Is trophy hunting a waste of time your thoughts.

I absolutely feel it is a waste of time, but I do not see that as a bad thing. The majority of things we do can be considered a waste, but that doesn't mean they are any less important to us. There is a negative connotation to wasting time, but that is how every single person spends a lot of their time. Trophy hunting should not be viewed inferior to the thousands of other activities people commit to.

• 7 months later...

To me, it's not a waste of time. I may spend 100+ hours on platinum, but if I accomplish something major (such as a very hard platinum), then it's worth it. So long as I enjoy it, that is. I also like helping others when it comes to trophies in boosting sessions, though this is limited to a few games.

It may be obvious, but I should mention that I don't play games because of trophies. That wouldn't make any sense. Unless there are missable trophies, I'll focus on them as well. Other than that, I just focus on enjoying the game and don't pay too much attention on trophies.

• Like 3

Buying games only for trophy hunting is a bad habit or playing games that you almost certainly won't like or you know will be bad after looking it up

but you still force yourself to play or buy it because of the trophies is a waste of time since you wont even enjoy the game anyways.

However buying games you know and enjoy or feel like you will then trophy hunting is a good addition for replay value and to search for all collectable if there is any .

so to sums it up,play what you want and don't force yourself to play or buy something you don't or feel like you won't enjoy because there trophy in it that be not only a waste time but a waste of money.

• Like 2

I believe that question comes down to who you ask. Many people who fail to understand the concept of trophy hunting would indeed find it an utter waste of time and energy. For us, however, it is a meaningful and accomplished cycle that we can't get enough of. It brings us joy, and it connects us with many who share this passion as well. 

• Like 4

I like the whole, well i enjoy it though so its not a waste, logic

even though well, it is

i mean, i enjoy having my medical marijuana card and being able to go to my dispensary on a whim but shits a damper on my wallet...do i need it, probably not..but i sure do enjoy it

i got sucked into trophy hunting as many others have to the point i have so many games, many of which ill never get to start, why..because of flash sales and fire sales and my ocd of wanting to scoop up as many platinums as possible for as cheap as possible, and now i have less and less free time on my hands, its a complete waste in my case

after a 12/13 hour work day, i wanna play a game or two but not have to slog through some giant check list of bullshit, thats why i love my nintendo switch, i can just play a game and not have to fuss over some meaningless trophy

id love to get back to all the games i have and platinum everything but my sanity comes first

• Like 2

In my opinion trophy hunting can be really cool, I just can't place my head around people who have their trophy list BASED in easy 30 min plats and only play certain games for completion rate (no one really cares, but you really). As an hobby I find it to make me games I probably wouldn't have the courage to play due to an immense backlog, and I can have fun pursuing the extra stuff a game has to offer, do smaller grinds too, one of the reasons why I stopped trophy hunting for 2 years was because I tried to pressure the trophies in, now I still play alot but don't rush it to have the feeling of: I hate this game so much you wouldn't see me playing this game ever again.

Take away points: do smaller grinds, REST a little for god sake, it's just trophies don't be pressured to get them for completion rate or anyone's approval, or your OCD. Be happy and GAMING FIRST, trophy hunting second!

• Like 3

Some people might think that if you're not working 14 hours a day 7 days a week, you're wasting time.

That's not how I am. I would rather enjoy a relatively stress free life and be happy. And for me, happiness comes from gaming/trophy hunting. Yes, get done what needs to be done. But after that, enjoy your life. You're gonna be dead for a very long time, so enjoy your time while you still can.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:12 AM, UlvenFenrir said:

Sleeping is a waste of time. Any other time of the day where you are awake isn't. Use the time you have on whatever you want.

This.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:10 AM, grifteskymfning said:

It's either that or slowly rocking back and forth on the couch with a spoonful of mushy peas in each armpit.

I'm so confused right now.

On 3/17/2019 at 5:12 AM, patrickogorman19 said:

I feel that grinding 100 hours grinding trophies sometimes feel like a waste of time.But you gonna earn that ultra rare platinum.

Yes.  Total waste of time.  Completely.  Do not bother.  Give up.   ....  And inflate the rarity of said platinum.   Such a precious, ultra rare, platinum.  My precious!  O my precious!

Edited by pogo_loco
  • Like 1

I don't even grind ten hours for a trophy. I love getting platinums. In recent past I moved on from "Yakuza: Like a Dragon" and from "Persona 5 Strikers" without the plat because they both had a single trophy needing 10-15 hours grinding to achieve. I've got too many games to get to, I can't throw away multiple days off doing the same repetitive task just for a digital representation of a trophy.

• Like 1

In the end, life itself is one giant waste of time. In the unimaginably vast and endless universe we are all nothing more than microscopic specks of dust living on a tiny pebble hurling itself through space, pathetically insignificant in the grander scheme of things. We are all pretty much just sitting around twiddling our thumbs waiting to die.

When you look at things through that lens, you start to realize how utterly meaningless and devoid of purpose our human lives really are, and that there really is no “right way” to live or spend your time. It belongs to you. We’re only here for a fleeting moment, and so I think we should all just try and enjoy the ride as much as possible and do things we enjoy or that make us feel happy.

Admittedly, sometimes I do think about the countless hours I’ve pissed down the drain playing games and watching shows etc, where I could have been doing something more productive. But it doesn’t bother me too much to be honest. I’ve had a ton of bad habits and self-destructive vices in my short life thus far, and compared to those things, trophy hunting is one of the healthiest hobbies I’ve ever had. It’s been good for me, and makes me happy, so I never fret too much about the time wasted. Maybe one day I will, but right now I could give a shit lol.

• Like 2

I have thought about the OP's question many a time and in short, the answer is no, with one exception which will outline below. I have had moments of panic in the past where I’ve seen total number of hours played and though it was time wasted however thinking about it a bit more I no longer do. 

We think it’s time wasted, from my experience, based on what family friends, society etc tells us. For me gaming in general is a hobby, it is my down time, it is how I unwind. It relaxes me and gives me enjoyment in a way TV or books cannot. It does not adversely impact my social life, work productivity or my health (never skip exercise to trophy hunt). As long as it is a positive influence on your life and doesn't become a negative one then no, it is not time wasted.

The exceptions when it is a waste of time:

- time lost organising boosts. Getting 100% on UC2 and UC3 PS3 versions and on The Division involved sitting in lobbies waiting for partners for countless hours.

• Like 1

I don't think trophy hunting can be anymore of a waste of time than playing games themselves, if you enjoy it then thats all the reason you need to do it. When it comes to the grinding/tedious trophies i'd rather give up, but some people might enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of beating it. At the moment I'm in and dark place and with the world in its current state things looks bleak, so trophies give me a sense of achievement that I can't get in real life. Looking over guides and thinking about what trophies I'm going to get tomorrow is a good motivator to get through each day. It gives me a goal to focus on. I think the satisfaction of a trophy popping is instant gratification and I haven't managed to balance it out with other, more productive work. So it's a bit of a coping mechanism sometimes. The more I think about how pointless trophy hunting is, it makes me feel more nihilistic about everything in general. So I just want to do what feels fun, even if its a hollow sense of fulfilment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

In the end, life itself is one giant waste of time. In the unimaginably vast and endless universe we are all nothing more than microscopic specks of dust living on a tiny pebble hurling itself through space, pathetically insignificant in the grander scheme of things. We are all pretty much just sitting around twiddling our thumbs waiting to die.

When you look at things through that lens, you start to realize how utterly meaningless and devoid of purpose our human lives really are, and that there really is no “right way” to live or spend your time. It belongs to you. We’re only here for a fleeting moment, and so I think we should all just try and enjoy the ride as much as possible and do things we enjoy or that make us feel happy.

The universe is over 10 billion years old. Life on Planet Earth only started in the last one billion years. Dinosaurs went extinct tens of millions of years ago, Neanderthals died out around 40,000 years ago when the transition from ape to human already occurred long before that. Until around the early - mid 20th century, many children could not get adequate care and died before they would become adults because there was no real medicine back then. Until the early - mid 1990s, you had to look up everything by book and catalog, no internet was around for you to Google search. 

All this to say, the option to even be on this forum website, trophy hunt in games we enjoy and are alive and well, we should all be happy and grateful for that. 

Mankind has made monumental strides throughout history. We have discovered things that nobody would even think about even 10 - 20 years ago. That is progress. Humans and life are constantly evolving, which is something I’ve always been fascinated with. I don’t tend to think that we are microscopic even though we actually are. All of the mysteries of the vast universe are probably far beyond our understanding. 50 years from now, we may have people living and sustaining a long healthy life on the Moon. The possibilities are endless. 

The way you put it is a rather grim look at reality. But that is how some people think, to each their own. I want to think I am something more than a microscope little cell inside of a constantly expanding universe, that I will never know much on because I will be dead. For every new thing we learn on the universe, there is more we don’t know.

I’m here, I’m now. There’s no time like the present, and I want to enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

If you ask my wife and other non gaming friends, yes. I still love them and they, at the very least, tolerate me. Know this though...I have a good balance. 

Me, no. I love the hunt, enjoy the community, and relish in the achievement. 

• Like 1