Is trophy hunting a waste of time your thoughts.

Oh it absolutely is a waste of time, most things are.

But "Time you enjoy wasting..."

So the way i see it, Yes, it is a total waste of time, but wasting time isnt as bad a thing as we believe it to be.

Almost anything we do is just to 'waste' time, make time go by, until we eventually run out of it.

Okay shit didnt mean to get that philosophical.. 

• Like 1

I'm an older gamer and so having targets to go for is very appealing, than say when I was a kid gamer and could kill hours just messing about. So trophies are awesome for me. 

The problems happen when a developer has no idea on how to make an interesting trophy list for the gamer. So many incredible games have been given a sour completion feeling simply because the devs threw in some stupid/repetitive trophy which zapped the fun instead of adding to it. 

• Like 1

If you don't like the game you are playing then yes trophy hunting is a bad waste of your time . But if you're really passionate about a certain game then it's actually really good. I like revisiting the game after I finished it for a platinum run.

While this has pushed up my backlog I have no regrets since I would've played them to the end if I did enjoy the game. Most of the time they're not to my liking after playing it for a few hours.

Edited by bulletsaysbang
More detail

For me, gaming can be quite an expensive hobby. So getting 100% of at least the base game trophies is a way of adding a bit more value for my money. I work 40 - 50 hours a week and i have a 3 hour commute each day, so my spare time is really slim Monday - Friday which means I have to make sure that i'm not wasting my money on stuff i'm hardly ever going to finish. So I try to research any games that aren't a surefire bet of enjoyment (e.g I wouldn't bother researching the next Assassin's Creed game because they don't change things up that heavily and i know i'll enjoy it. But I might research stuff like Crypt of the Necrodancer and Subnautica).

But while i do a bit more planning around time and my purchases nowadays - I generally get the game for the game itself first and foremost and then if i enjoy it, i'll go for the trophies. For example - i'll be getting Day's Gone this week and whether i enjoy it and connect with it properly will determine whether i go for all the trophies.

Same goes for the DLC content, although i give less of a damn about getting 100% in DLC trophies. Arkham Knight is a good example, I loved that game so so much, but I know i'll never get those last couple of DLC trophies to bring it to 100%. Same with Assassin's Creed Black Flag, i'll never get that Domination match victory trophy in PvP but i'm actually fine with that because i enjoy the game.

• Like 1

I've asked myself the same thing over the past few months. I believe going for trophies in games isn't a problem and like many said if you enjoy the game, you'll likely enjoy the trophy list too. However if you are getting games purely to plat them rather than enjoying them, then what is the freaking point and i think this can lead to depressing thoughts eventually. If you're getting angry over a platinum then stop.

In my opinion going for trophies in a game gives more value for your money. That goes for any game. But there's no point if you really despise the game. I think trying to keep your account on 100% game completion isn't healthy because you feel forced to keep it that way which i gave up on long ago. So what if you have an unobtainable on your account, it doesn't change anything. I think if you are suffering from depression and you have convinced yourself trophy hunting counters that, you are leading yourself into a false sense of accomplishment.

I don't believe it's a waste of time. If that's the case watching sport, film, tv shows is also a waste of time which is an everyday aspect of peoples lives. We just live in a generation of growing technology and entertainment.

Trophy hunting isn't meant to be a chore, cure or addiction. Its for fun. And as long as you remember those 3 things, it's as much a hobby as anything else

Edited by Last-_-Judgment
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you play purely for trophies and view each game as a checklist then yes I feel that's a waste of time.

Unpopular opinion especially on a site like this but gaming would be better without them. So many people playing crap just to make a digital number increase. That's not gaming to me.

I've OCD and it's hard to play a game without feeling like I have to have all the trophies. It can totally ruin a game for me. When you compare it to gaming on the Switch, there are no trophies/achievements. I am free to play the game and enjoy it without thinking I've gotta do this or I've gotta go there. It's a better experience.

I'm sure if I made a game that kicks you in the nuts 200x and gives you a plat for $1 it'd sell well. That's what's wrong with the whole achievement system.

• Like 3

I have bouts of trophy hunting here and there every few months but lately, I've been just enjoying playing games and getting whatever I can in terms of collectables and such. If there's a game I really enjoy (Cuphead is my most recent platinum) then I will get everything I can and hope to get the platinum but beyond that, I don't trophy hunt as hard anymore

Nothing that brings you happiness is a waste of time, since the value of time spent varies from person to person. If we're talking if it's an objective waste of time, I'd argue only stuff like cancer research, building homes, working a productive job or making some other kind of positive change in the world is using your time well, but that's another matter.

Trophies are a good way to handle gaming time as a hobby, instead of simply playing to end you push the game to its full potential.

It does become a waste, though, when the trophy requirement is "abusive" to the playing experience. Most of the time this abusive is in the form of a extended grind that leads the player into a meaningless farm. In other words, it's as much of a waste as one would consider playing a game, but is definitely a waste of time when the player isn't having fun in doing so.

To be honest, this is something that is going to vary from person to person.  There will definitely be people out there who think it a waste of time and that people like us should do something better with our time.  There will be others who think it's a great hobby.   The same could be said of any hobby really.  What it comes down to is people need a way to relieve stress and also a way to socialize.  Trophy hunting can be a great way to do both because it's a way to unwind and a community like this provides a group of people who have stuff in common with us to talk to.

No more than playing games. At least, assuming you enjoy the act of earning trophies. At that point it’s no different from other hobbies you do for fun. though I’d you purpose is some kind of validation from others for earning them, that’s a waste of time. Most people don’t care what you’re doing. Do it for you. 

I think it depends on how you see it. Does trophy hunting stops you from doing more productive things that could improve your life? (like fitness, learn to cook, studying, gardening or whatever) Absolutely, but I think it happens with any other hobby when you dedicate so much time to it. It's a way of entertainment like any other. Everybody watch some series, movies, play online games, etc. My way of investing my spare time is trophy hunting, but it could be any other nonsense hobby. I think life it's not only about trying to be mr. perfect by having muscular body, five bussiness and party every day. You should spend some time in whatever makes you happy to have a balanced life.

I mean, when you really boil it down, everything in life is a waste of time isn't it? You know, we're all just here killing time until time kills us and all that. But maybe that's just my pessimistic attitude :lol: But I would say overall that work is the biggest waste of time in life for anyone.

I don't see it as a waste of time though - no more than any other hobby anyway. To other people around me though, I'm sure they would see it as me wasting my time. Grinding pointlessly for 100s of hours though for 1 trophy does seem like a waste of time to me though, because I could be using that time to do several other "more important" things. 

I enjoy it, so good when that trophy pops after battling days to achieve the platinum. But i admit some games i do find myself thinking why am i doing this, for example gran turismo sport the grind to level 50 is unbarable. I see my friends all playing warzone etc and im spending full days on gt sport on my own and your lucky if you even level up once after spending about 12 hours playing. Its a love hate relationship trophy hunting haha. 

For me, it can depend. Overall, video games and trophy hunting are a hobby that I enjoy spending my time on. But sometimes I can feel myself getting annoyed at games when it is such a long grind for one trophy or when I am just not enjoying it that much but I wanna finish it to get 100% completion. But in the end, I do feel accomplished and most games I do enjoy getting the platinum for.

I love trophy hunting, but trophies that piss me off are ones that are luck based. I don’t like the idea of putting hours into a game only for a chance of getting something. This is why I stay clear of FIFA and 2K. At that point, it’s just another form of gambling.

I also have a disdain for easy 1 hour plats, I feel it really ruins the purpose of trophy hunting in the first place. Why work hard on something, when I can just spend money to unlock it? That in my opinion is a waste of time and money.

To this day, my only regret is One Word by POWGI.

Edited by Roronora_Zoro666