Can i cancel downloading and then continue where i left off?

Varhur

I'm trying to download Beyond: Two Souls and after leaving PS3 for the night i'm currently at 40% downloading and if i remember correctly, before downloading comes installing. Could i cancel downloading and then continue downloading on another night?

8 minutes ago, Varhur said:

I'm trying to download Beyond: Two Souls and after leaving PS3 for the night i'm currently at 40% downloading and if i remember correctly, before downloading comes installing. Could i cancel downloading and then continue downloading on another night?

What are you actually trying to achieve? If you turn off the PS3, then it will resume the download next time you turn it back on. Or if you want, you can pause the download and choose when to resume it later. Or if you go to the far left of the XMB and select "Turn Off System", you can set the PS3 to turn off once the download has finished. Pretty much the only thing you don't want to do is cancel the download.

Just now, mekktor said:

What are you actually trying to achieve? If you turn off the PS3, then it will resume the download next time you turn it back on. Or if you want, you can pause the download and choose when to resume it later. Or if you go to the far left of the XMB and select "Turn Off System", you can set the PS3 to turn off once the download has finished. Pretty much the only thing you don't want to do is cancel the download.

Play some games, i don't wanna lose the progress, because damn, this is taking long.

4 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

As @mekktor has said, canceling the downnload wouldn't be the best idea, because if you get to 40% as you said, then cancel it, you would have to download again from the start.  So pausing it would be the better option here, just pause and then resume another night.

But can i play games in the meantime or the console has to be turned off?

Just now, DrakeHellsing said:

Ah yeah, you should be able to play games easily.  Heck, I've done that sort of thing before on the PS3... though it's been ages since I've done so.

Does it work only from downloading from PS Store? Or downloading from Account Management also has this option?

Spoiler

Cancel

19789999.jpg

As long as your download is being done in the background (it appears in the Download Management menu) you can play while it downloads. The only thing is if the game needs to use the internet (online playing) the download may either slow down or even stop until you close the game.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TugaSonic said:
  Hide contents

Cancel

19789999.jpg

As long as your download is being done in the background (it appears in the Download Management menu) you can play while it downloads. The only thing is if the game needs to use the internet (online playing) the download may either slow down or even stop until you close the game.

From my experiences, no matter what i've played, downloading in the background would end up in stop.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Varhur said:

From my experiences, no matter what i've played, downloading in the background would end up in stop.

The PS3 will always pause its background downloads when you are playing a game. The best option is to start a download, select download in background and continue to play your system normally. Go into the systems settings (I can’t remember exactly where) and turn on the option to download/install applications at a time of day when you are sleeping. The system will turn itself on and finish all background downloads and installations at the appointed time. You can also set it to auto download and install patches for any games on your system as well as uploading your saves to the cloud if you want. 

If you are not downloading in the background and press and press cancel download you won’t be able to resume and will need to start the download from scratch again. 

Edited by Warlord99956

Yea those that say you can play games and have it download in the background are wrong, as soon as you start a game the download will pause. If you're downloading from account management or the ps store just press download in background, you won't lose any of your download progress. You can play games but the download will pause. You can go all the way to the left and press turn off and then select auto turn off after download has finished, that will also install the game and the console will turn off. 

51 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

I thought *some* PS3 games will not pause downloads.

That is my experience too. The majority of my PS3 games are single player games with no network features/gimmicks, I usually log off PSN and downloads continue in the background (and finish). They do slow to a crawl, however ?

In in any case, here is what the PS3 manual has on background downloads pausing:

C533-E5-FE-1082-4-E14-B311-4849304-A3748