Should games end with a boss battle?

drummerklg

Sometimes, games ending with boss battles could feel like you are so close to the end, you have one last obstacle, and once you finish the battle, it has a big impact, but sometimes, when there isn't a boss battle, and you just finish the game, I am left feeling with a sense of, "is that it?"  Games like Uncharted 2, or Dante's inferno, they have a big boss battle at the end, everything leading up to that point, it's time to finish it, but games like The Last of Us, it ends with a sense of "is that it?", even games like Uncharted 3, while not that big or hard of a boss battle, it still has one, so for me at least, I think games should end with one final obstacle.  What do you guys think?

nosure.1336417454.jpg

Edited by drummerklg

I think the first game I noticed it on was Terminator Salvation. You run down a hallway and kill some more terminators (the same ones you always kill) and then enter a door....credits.

I was expecting a big end boss battle against some new type of terminator and instead you just go through a door.

• Like 1

I agree, what is even worse is when it looks like your about to have a great boss fight and instead it is just a 3 or 4 button QTE. Games like Metal Gear always have great bosses, most recently Metal Gear Rising, that was a great long boss fight which left my hands shaking after the fight because of the sheer adrenaline and excitement I was getting, I would love it if more games made me feel like that after beating it

It depends on the game if you ask me. It's nice to have that final boss that you can triumphantly beat to complete the story. But sometimes it just doesn't feel necessary or it's just some way for the game to stick a boss in your way. The best example I can think of is Arkham Asylum where you fight Joker-Bane. It just felt like a way to have that old school sort of boss to fight where you fight a giant monster when it should have just been the Joker with an elaborate puzzle or something imo.