Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

5 hours ago, Briste said:

Platinum #193

1L6b3076.png

The Godfather II

Nice!

5 hours ago, Briste said:

I ended up having Covid when I started this game.

Okay, maybe not so nice.

Great write-up, dude! I thought this game had a very unfinished feel, so many great functions like having a crew, or features like multiple maps, yet they just didn't feel quite as explored as they could have been. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, possibly because I loved the first Godfather game when it came out (warts and all, much like this one).

But yeah, agreed with pretty much everything you said - reminded me that my lazy ass needs to get to writing about this one of these days😄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this reply is coming so late...I've decided I need to stop saying I'm going to post more lol It never seems to happen despite my best intentions. My boss was recently let go and I've been doing the job of two people and my kids are starting to go to bed later now and I'm just beat almost every night. I'm kind of just going through the motions with my games right now to just blow off some steam...but I don't have the energy for it as much right now....and even less to properly maintain this thread. I'd really like to, but I just have so many other things going on so I'll just say that I'll post when I can.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:15 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Great write-up, dude! I thought this game had a very unfinished feel, so many great functions like having a crew, or features like multiple maps, yet they just didn't feel quite as explored as they could have been. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, possibly because I loved the first Godfather game when it came out (warts and all, much like this one).

I never new there was a Godfather game lol I didn't know this one existed either until I was looking up the first games with trophies. Was that game also a GTA clone? Unfinished is a good word for this one. A lot of potential and some good ideas, just didn't quite do everything it could have. I am definitely glad I played it though.

Platinum #194

1L085582.png

Call of Duty: World at War

So this series has been a true surprise for me. As I mentioned in previous posts, I first playe CoD on my friends Xbox way back during the MW2 days I think. We played online for like 20 minutes, I got slaughtered and had absolutely no fun with it and thought never again. I had bought Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 when I bought my PS3, just so I'd have an MP game to play in case someone came over. It remained unopened until last year and I only played it since I paid full price for it way back when. I was shocked at how much I actually enjoyed it. I solo'd most of the online stuff and DLC's and thought the campaign was a really good challenge. After that experience, I bought most of the other ones that I plan on playing over time. I was pleased to see that this game was so low on the game page count and that I'd get to play a game I really wanted for my project. 

I had done a little research going into this one. I know these games can be full of hackers and I really don't want to have to hide any games on my profile for some online shenanigans. I saw that this game was not really safe to play in public lobbies online and I had also read that the main campaign on Veteran difficulty was one of the hardest in the series. I wasn't so worried about the campaign, but the online portion made me nervous. What made the campaign so hard was the absolutely ridiculous grenade spam. There were certain sections of the game (looking at you 'Heart of the Reich' mission). That particular mission requires you to take out four stationary guns. I found the first two guns to be fairly easy to do, and thank goodness there's a checkpoint right after that second gun is taken out because the next section taking out the last two was brutal for me. You need to use cover when you move virtually all the time if you want to survive in Veteran, but you also have to keep moving because if you stay still for more than a few seconds, odds are there's three grenades being lobbed at you. Even when you're not close, they are tossing them at you. It's bananas the amount of grenades get thrown at you. It's not unique to that level, but that particular checkpoint was really hard for me due to that.

The next hardest level for me was the 'Burn'em Out' mission. You get a flamethrower and spend most of the level in trenches, where you get shot at from people in trees and people running on the top of the trenches and people in the trenches. You get some smoke grenades, that I found extremely useful in a few tricky spots, but it just took a lot of trial an error to get through it. I tend to play these games through on Veteran my first go through to save time. I figure I have to beat them on that difficulty anyway, so I might as well just do it to start and then use the regular playthrough for clean up if needed.

I like these campaigns and I appreciate that they bounce you around a few different characters to play. It allows them to expand the story a bit and gives you some different perspectives to play from. The graphics were good for the time and the controls are good. The trophies for the game are pretty consistent as well. You pretty much get some trophies for beating missions in Veteran difficulty, there's always a collectible to find and then there's some unique things to do in a mission for a trophy. I found the hardest random trophy to be the 'Sum of all Zeros' trophy for shooting down 45 Japanese planes. There's not too many more planes than 45 it seems so you need to shoot down most of them. It takes a little while to learn the level well enough to know where they are coming from. Thankfully it can be done in Regular difficulty...but that one took me a good 45 minutes to an hour to get.

I found the hardest trophies in the game to be for the DLC's. Both involve the Zombies mode of the game, which has historically been my least favorite part of the games. The trophies are not easy for either of them and require quite a bit of luck to do solo. In the Map Pack 2 DLC, there's no place safe where you do not have to worry about zombies coming from a blind spot. There's a very specific strat for doing it solo, but it requires a lot of luck with regards to the random gun you get from the mystery box and the random perk you get from the vending machine. You need the Wunderwaffe, which is like an electric shock gun, and a high capacity, fast shooting gun like the PPSh-41. You need specific perks. You really need to end each round with a crawler, which is a zombie whose legs have been blown off, so it moves really slowly. This allows you to catch your breath, replace boards on windows for some cheap points and get ready for the next round. As the rounds get higher, the zombies move much, much faster and if you get stuck, you're pretty much dead. The strategy involves getting those key guns/perks, unlocking specific areas, and then running a loop to get a huge zombie train behind you before running back into the hut, creating a long line of sight where you can just mow the zombies down. It took me several days of trying to get the right setup and used to the strategy, until I was able to beat it. You feel like a major badass when you get it working, but it was very hard to do.

I didn't think DLC Map Pack 3 could possibly be as hard as Map Pack 2, but I was wrong. In theory, it is easier. The level has warps, you can boost up your weapon, and there is an area where you can camp where you won't be attacked from the back or sides...but the trophies make this one harder. The trophy 'Perkaholics Anonymous!' requires you to get to the 20th round without buying a perk. That is super hard to do. I tried for several days to do this solo and just wasn't even getting close. I did what I could and then decided to do something risky...I joined a public lobby to see if I could do it with others. I got reeeeeaaaaaaally lucky. I got into a room with two dudes who were vastly better than me at the game. I pretty much just had to not screw them up, and we were going to make it. It's hard not to screw things up in the later rounds. There's just so many zombies, they move so fast, and they don't go down as easy...plus there's Hell Dogs to contend with. The first 18 rounds or so, you can hang out in the camping spot up the stairs and survive...but after that round, it gets impossible. You have to use the teleporter and start to kite a bit to survive. I was not prepared for this the first time through and we died in round 19. Thankfully, the same two dudes played again and we got to like round 22 and I got the trophy. I was able to do all of the other trophies alone, but I rolled the dice with that one that I wouldn't get screwed by hackers and really lucked out.

While Zombies is my least favorite part of the game, I found the DLC's to be very satisfying to beat since they were so hard and it's typically not something I'm good at. The game has been out for 15 years, so odds are if you wanted to play this game, you would have by now. If you haven't, it is a fun game to play and I would recommend it. I'm not terribly good at FPS games and I was able to solo everything but one trophy, so I think it's achievable by most with a little patience. I'm currently playing the Vita CoD game, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified. That game is mostly hard because the Vita screen is so damn small, but I will definitely play more games from this series going forward. I think I have less interest in the newest ones, but these classic ones have been a lot of fun.

The rest of the games in my project will be beaten eventually, but I'm going to turn those into series runs now. I really enjoyed Bioshock and am looking forward to the other games in that series. I also need to finish Mirror's Edge...and the Soulsborne series...my ambitions are high and my time is low 😭

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 7:30 PM, Briste said:

I never new there was a Godfather game lol I didn't know this one existed either until I was looking up the first games with trophies. Was that game also a GTA clone? Unfinished is a good word for this one. A lot of potential and some good ideas, just didn't quite do everything it could have. I am definitely glad I played it though.

Oh yeah, total GTA clone. I thought it was a lot of fun though! Definitely more fully realized than the sequel, even if it didn't always work as well as it should have. Definitely worth a play, especially if you had fun with the sequel!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Briste said:

The fact is, I'm the only one that truly knows my mind...and despite the fact that I present happiness to my friends and family, because that's how I want them to feel, I'm not sure that is how I truly feel. I should feel that way....but something just seems off. I feel fatigued and I'm just running the rat race, treading water. I'll keep that lie going with my wife and kids, because I don't want them to worry (and truly there isn't anything to worry about), but I just need to do some soul searching and find what makes me happy. In the pursuit of doing, what I think is the right thing for my family, I've forgotten about myself a bit....I'll make no promises about this thread...I won't abandon it, but I also don't know how often this will be updated either.....stream of consciousness over.

Not that I would be qualified to give advice, but - have you thought that it might be something bordering burn out if reallife is afflicted? Please take good care of your health, it's usually the only one you got. There is nothing wrong with doing something for yourself now and again.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

@Briste

I remember seeing you around in Bad Company. I decided to just get all the multiplayer trophies I could before the closure and I never successfully joined a boosting group. I did fairly well all things considered and actually got pretty good at the game even against the lifers haha. But I definitely didn't attempt the 10000 kills or all the awards. I did get half of them(and the trophy for it) so I felt pretty accomplished over that since I did them legit. I'm sad the game is over it actually replaced R6 Siege for me for awhile. Now I'm back on Siege for my multiplayer shooter fix haha.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Super_Mep said:

I remember seeing you around in Bad Company. I decided to just get all the multiplayer trophies I could before the closure and I never successfully joined a boosting group. I did fairly well all things considered and actually got pretty good at the game even against the lifers haha. But I definitely didn't attempt the 10000 kills or all the awards. I did get half of them(and the trophy for it) so I felt pretty accomplished over that since I did them legit. I'm sad the game is over it actually replaced R6 Siege for me for awhile. Now I'm back on Siege for my multiplayer shooter fix haha.

I remember seeing your name too! I'm impressed you were able to do that much without a boosting group. It was painfully slow on my own with an alt...can't imagine without it. Not all of the lifers were bad, but some of them were pretty unfun to play with. I'll be cycling through the old COD games if I need a fix any time soon.

• Like 1