Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

42 minutes ago, Briste said:

It was funny to live through the progression of the series. In my mind as a kid, Final Fantasy was the pinnacle of gaming.

I believe it is a great thing to have gone through a (console) gaming journey where, up to the PS4, there were always improvements of some sort, be it in new gaming concepts (often spurred by better technical specs) and/or the deveplopment of graphics. If you start gaming nowadays, it has to be different experience then from what we had. Smaller jumps.

46 minutes ago, Briste said:

I played X quite a bit in college and really enjoyed that one. I didn't realize how cringe some of the voice acting in it was until I went back and replayed it on PS4. That laughing scene really stood out. I ended up with fonder memories of playing it in college than when I replayed it.

What I remember most of FF X is Yuna and Tidus in the lake scene. Such a magical setting back then.

52 minutes ago, Briste said:

Thanks to that Squire 'Focus' ability, you could usually trap one enemy at the end of a level and just spam that ability over and over for points. That was another game with a great story and soundtrack and I also would love to see a Tactics remaster!

Also, making Rafa a chicken to use her with move-find ability. Oh, Escutcheon II. Fun times.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:39 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I believe it is a great thing to have gone through a (console) gaming journey where, up to the PS4, there were always improvements of some sort, be it in new gaming concepts (often spurred by better technical specs) and/or the deveplopment of graphics. If you start gaming nowadays, it has to be different experience then from what we had. Smaller jumps.

Yeah, I don't really get that same 'Wow!' anymore, which is wild since the graphics are unreal compared to how I started...but yeah, I can't tell the difference between PS4 and PS5 all that much to be honest lol The leaps back then were huge and extremely noticeable. Between the sheer number of games and the availability of games, it is a very different experience than what you and I enjoyed I'm sure.

On 4/24/2023 at 6:39 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

What I remember most of FF X is Yuna and Tidus in the lake scene. Such a magical setting back then.

That scene did still give me chills the second time through. I still really enjoyed the game on my second go-round, but it wasn't as amazing as I had originally remembered.

Platinum #185

cHsZYPx.png

Final Fantasy III

This was my first time experiencing this game. I never played the PS ports way back when and I never played the emulated version either. I didn't do any research into it so it was genuinely a new Final Fantasy game for me. As such, I played this one without any of boosts, however I did use a bestiary guide so that I didn't miss anything. Not that a second playthrough would have been a bad thing, but I would have been annoyed to have to replay an entire game because I missed an enemy or two along the way. After playing through it once though, I can say that this felt like a Final Fantasy game and I really enjoyed it.

I'll start by saying that I have been playing through the games with the original font and original music. I've checked out the 'Arrangement' versions of the soundtracks sporadically to see the difference and much prefer the original soundtracks. Final Fantasy III didn't disappoint in that area and had a stellar soundtrack as well. I had a feeling I'd like this game when the opening of the game started off with naming the four characters. I was a little confused that they all had the same sprite which was labeled 'Onion Knight'...but was curious how it would unfold. I was under the impression that the 'job system' of Final Fantasy was introduced in Final Fantasy V based on what I had heard so was not expecting it in this game. After the opening couple of scenes though, you get a handful of jobs that you get to pick from and you can either stay as an Onion Knight or choose from the Final Fantasy I jobs. I, of course, went with Fighter, Monk, White Mage and Black Mage with the appropriately named York, Dee, Thor, and Zeus :) 

The leveling system was closer to the original, but was different as well. In Final Fantasy III, you have an overall character level and then a job level, so you're leveling two things at the same time each battle. Job levels go up much faster than generic levels and from what I understand, overall character level ups affect your core stats like HP, STR, etc and your job levels improve your proficiency within that specific job. For example, the higher the level your Black Mage job is, the more spells you can cast (no MP in this one) and the more powerful those spells are. You could have two level twenty characters, but if one is a level 50 Black Mage and the other is a level 1 Black Mage, the level 50 one will have more casts per level and more damage capability. It really felt like you got a job level every second or third fight almost, but it did take a while to get to 99. BLM got there the fastest and I was probably 2/3 of the way through the game when I hit 99. WHM got there shortly after and I switched the BLM job to Magus (which was a more powerful BLM) and WHM job to Devout (more powerful WHM). As you progress through the game, more jobs become available to you and they added a lot of jobs that would become staples in future games. The Summoner makes its first appearance in FFIII as well as several others.

The upside, is that there is actually a ton of replayability with this game because there are so many jobs to choose from and you could mix and match a ton. You could also try to level as many of them on one save as possible, but this seems like it would take forever. The downside I found, was that it was hard to change from a job that I had spent 50 levels investing in. I got my Fighter and Monk to level 50ish before I unlocked the Knight and Black Belt. In the first game, that was a progression you made after being promoted and your Knight started at the level you were as a Fighter. In this game it was an entirely new job and nothing that you did in the 50 job levels for Fighter or Monk would matter. I ended up switching those two while leaving my White Mage and Black Mage alone, but I ended up not playing around with the different jobs too much since it felt like lost progression when you moved away from the ones I'd been working on. But, this is a game I'd probably play again at some point and I'd probably try out the Viking, Dark Knight or Dragoon jobs and probably the Geomancer or Ranger as well.

The graphics felt closer to Final Fantasy IV than the first two games (however these are remastered so that probably had a lot to do with it). When I first started progressing through the story, the map felt very tiny and I thought I was going to be through this game pretty quickly. I was getting the impression that this one may be a poor/rushed story and that the battle system was going to be the best part of the game. You get an airship in the first like fifteen minutes of the game and the dungeons seemed kind of truncated and unimaginative compared to what the FFI dungeons were like. My initial thought was that I wasn't going to like this one. Fortunately, I was wrong. While none of the dungeons were particularly memorable, the map ended up being much bigger than I thought and I think this game is where the series found its stride with storytelling. Where FFII was lacking in creating some depth for the characters, I felt like this one was much better. There were still some odd choices for characters and a few rushed relationships...but overall this game's story was much more fleshed out and creative and felt like the start of the modern day Final Fantasy story. Honestly, I think some of the Kingdom Hearts story may have come from this game as well...not that that's a good thing necessarily lol.

Story spoiler enclosed:

Spoiler

Having said that, there was one spot in the story that felt kind of stupid to me at the end. Your guys are paralyzed with five dragons that are 'going to feast on your bodies' and you're guardian angel comes and says 'hang on a second while I get five pure hearts to counter the five evil dragons.' You then, presumably, stay paralyzed in front of five hungry dragons, who do nothing at all, while the dude transports around the world gathering his pure hearts? It made no sense. He said he knew that the only thing that could counter this paralysis was five pure hearts and it would have made more sense if he had gotten these hearts ready before you were paralyzed so that the dragons weren't just hanging out, waiting for the paralysis to be broken. It was the only real story issue I had throughout this game...that and one of the five hearts was a Three Stooges type knucklehead that was in the story for like five minutes prior. There must've been a better character they could have picked....Fortunately, the dragons just hang out while your buddy grabs the five pure hearts so you can be freed and stop the bad guy. Other than that though, this was a pretty good story. I really liked that there were Dark Warriors as well that were your counterparts in the Dark World that were equally as responsible for keeping the balance. It was a cool twist and it showed a lot more depth than FFII.

It was very interesting to me playing this game due to all of the things that worked in this game that ended up sticking around forever in this series. Final Fantasy I introduced the Crystals as a plot device as well as airships and the general battle system and enemy types/lore and such. Final Fantasy II introduced Chocobos and Cid, but this was the first time a character (completely unrelated of course) in the series carried over as both were present in three as well (actually there's also a Princess named Sara like in the first one too). Moogles were introduced in this game, however I don't think they were named that yet, but the sprite made its first appearance. Bahamut and Leviathan (and by proxy summons) were introduced in this game. Multiple worlds/maps, sealed weapons, hidden pathways, hidden items in things other than treasure chests, the spells such as Mini and Toad being needed to progress...so many different things appeared here for the first time that I saw in later games that I loved. It was crazy how heavily influenced Final Fantasy IV was by this game. Well, not crazy since IV came after III obviously, but crazy to me since my initial jump was from I to IV, so all the amazing improvements I saw in IV I didn't realize that many of them actually showed up in III first. The only really annoying thing I can think of was that they got rid of Ethers/Tents/Cabins so you couldn't really heal magic outside of towns without an elixir, which are limited in supply. Losing those items meant you either had to ration out your spells or not travel too far from inns. Fortunately, your mages aren't the same weaklings they are in the other games, but outside of that, I can't think of anything else that really bothered me with this one.

As a Final Fantasy fan, I really appreciated this entry into the series. I still think that IV and VI were better since the ideas they had were fleshed out that much better for those games, but this game is very worthy to be in the conversation among the best games in the series. I didn't find it to be terribly hard however. I can't tell how much of that is the remaster making things easier or if it's just the game isn't as hard. As I mentioned, I didn't use any of the boosts (however I did end up doing a lot of farming due to bad luck getting certain bestiary enemies to pop) and I felt appropriately leveled throughout. I didn't slaughter everything, but I didn't die a ton either. My final set of jobs for the last fight was Ninja, Ninja, Devout, and Magus. I was able to cast 18 Curagas and 12 Curajas (I think) and pretty much just had my Devout heal all each turn while my damage dealers whittled down the boss and I was never in any real danger. I was level 52 by the time I got to the end. If you liked IV and VI, then you'll most definitely like this one as well. If you want to see where the modern Final Fantasy started, I think this game marks that point. Now I get to play IV :) I'm really excited about this one!

• Like 2

Platinum #186

JE18jGz.png

Final Fantasy IV

Before Final Fantasy VI was my favorite game of all time, it was Final Fantasy IV. As I had mentioned during one of my prior reviews, I got an SNES in order to play Final Fantasy 2 (SNES). I was too young to get one on my own, but I remember getting my SNES for Christmas and with it was Final Fantasy 2 (SNES). To say I was excited was an understatement. I was ten years old and had not played an SNES game yet and I don't remember video game commercials being a thing, so I had never seen the new, upgraded graphics over the NES. Still in my Christmas jammies, I shuffled up to my room, hooked up my new SNES and promptly put the Final Fantasy 2 cartridge in and powered it on. I soaked in that intro music and started my new adventure, quivering with anticipation.

The game started very different than the first one. In the first one, you pick your party and are dumped outside of Coneria and you learn what's going on by talking to townspeople and the King. In FF2, there's an introductory cutscene that takes place that's about ten minutes long. It sets the stage for who the main players are and what the motivation is going to be. The opening scene shows the Dark Knight commander, Cecil, leading the Kingdom of Baron's fleet of Airships to attack a town and steal their Crystal. Your troops slaughter some of the townsfolk, who are not resisting, and Cecil takes the Crystal and leaves. On the trip back to Baron, the soldiers are voicing their displeasure with their new role and don't understand why they are doing this. Cecil, the loyal commander, stands by the King, but you can tell that he too is feeling bad about what they've just done. When Cecil gets back with the Crystal, he asks the King why they are collecting the Crystals. Upset at Cecil for his lack of loyalty, the King dismisses him as the Captain of the Red Wings and commands him to deliver a package (Bomb Ring in IV) to the Village of Mist. Cecil's childhood friend and Dragoon, Kain, tries to defend Cecil and is commanded to go along to make the delivery. It is here that you take control of the characters for the first time. This is clearly a pretty involved prologue, and it had me invested before I'd even taken my first step. I had NEVER seen a game do this before, spending so much time to set up a story. Every game I'd played to this point had been a game first and a story as a kind of byproduct of the game. This was a story first and the game was the vehicle to tell the story.

With this being my first SNES experience, I spent the entire morning with my jaw dropped wide open, just soaking in the amazingness of what I was experiencing. The graphics and music were incredible, the shift from turns to Active Time Battles (ATB) was new and kept you on your toes. There was just so much cool stuff to see and do. It was truly amazing how much they could do with 16 bit music. The battle music was intense, with it even more intense during boss battles. The 'sad' music could bring you to tears. It could build drama and it was just so well done to set the mood of the game. There were times in the game where if something profound happened and a new song was playing, I might sit for a few minutes and just listen. For me this game was truly revolutionary and set the new standard for how I would compare games going forward. It did so many things well and I really can't tell you anything that I didn't like about it. I played through this game several times and every time I enjoyed it.

But this review isn't about my first experience with this game over 30 years ago, but about the pixel remastered version. There is a lot that is similar and quite a lot that is different. I'll talk mostly about the differences. The biggest difference for me was that this was a new translation of the game. Most of the dialogue was different from the version I played (which I'll refer to as the original going forward even if that's not true). It seems like they modernized the lingo and added a bit more attitude to the text. I know a big knock against the original was how bad the translation was, however being ten, I never noticed or cared. I thought it was great. Due to the change in the dialogue, it was almost like playing a new game. The gist of everything was the same, but it had a different feel to it. It wasn't better or worse, just different. Another big change was the names of all the enemies and the majority of weapons were different. My biggest disappointment surrounded them changing the name of my favorite weapon across all the games from 'Spoon Dagger' to 'Knife'...none of the name changes were a big deal, but it was different. The sprites for the monsters were all the same, but nothing was named what I remembered it to be. Again, minor and nothing that impacted the quality of this version.

What this version contained that the original didn't was the extra abilities. In the original, Dark Knight Cecil could just fight or use items. He didn't have any other ability to use. Kain had 'Jump' in addition to his normal attack, but Cecil had nothing. The original Japanese version did have these abilities and I'm not sure why they weren't included on the NA SNES version, but they weren't. I feel like I remember reading that Final Fantasy IV had an 'easy version' and a 'hard version' that was released, and NA received the 'easy version' where these weren't included. I'm not sure why these abilities wouldn't have been a part of the 'easy version' and I'm sure there were other things different as well, but if I remember right, that's what happened. Anyway, in this version, Cecil has an ability called 'Darkness' that drains a small amount of his HP to deal AOE damage to the enemies. I didn't find it strong enough to be worth it, especially when there's no healer present in the party, but I used it a couple times to see what it did, but that was it. Rosa had 'Aim' in the original, but in this version she has another ability called 'Pray', which can heal your party if the prayer is answered. I found it had about a 40% success rate. Speaking of Rosa...she uses a Bow and Arrow as her main weapon. In the original, arrows were a consumable item. Each arrow you fired in battle, depleted your stock by one. If you didn't keep your eye on it, you could run out of arrows during a battle. You could change your equipment midbattle in the original, which you can't in this version. But in this game it didn't matter since you only need one arrow and you'll never run out. I did not realize this at first and spent 2k Gil on Iron arrows for her and then shortly after realized my error. It wasn't a huge deal and actually made the game far easier overall, but was a big waste of Gil early for me. In the later game, there are some arrows you can find that you only got ten of when you found them in a chest during the original, but here you could equip them and Rosa ended up being a pretty powerful DD from the back row.

As far as other changes, there were some changes to the character sprites...I remember Yang, Rydia and Edge looking a little different in the original as well as Palom and Porom. They also included the ability to buy 'Sirens' as a consumable item, which help tremendously with getting rare items/drops for trophies. What a Siren does, is initiate a battle against the rarest enemy of the dungeon, which was incredibly useful when farming for the Mage Summon (Mindflayer in this version) and mostly, the Pink Puffs (Flan Princess in this version) for the Pink Tail for the Adamant Armor. In addition to adding the 'Siren' as a purchase-able item, I'm fairly certain they significantly increased the drop rates on these items. I got the Imp, Cockatrice and Bomb summons without even trying to farm as they dropped naturally during game play. I decided to farm the Flan Princesses after beating the game to get my characters to level 70 and got five Pink Tails to drop using only 50 or so Sirens. I'm pretty sure this had a 1-3/64 chance to drop in the original and I had a 10% drop rate using Sirens. It did take about 30 battles to get the Mindflayer summon, but it was still extremely painless compared to the original. I think in all the times I played the original, I only ever had one encounter against the Pink Puffs and obviously never got the Pink Tail.

I didn't use any of the boosts while playing until after I had beaten the game. I turned on the XP boost to speed up getting to 70 while farming those Flan Princesses. Even without using the boosts, I didn't have too much trouble throughout the game with my hardest fight being against the Dark Elf. It took me a few tries to beat him. I appreciated the 'auto battle' option while farming Gil/XP throughout the game as it made a relatively mindless task even easier to do. I didn't use the Encounter On/Off either until after I had beaten the game since I wanted to mirror my original playthrough as much as possible. This remaster is a very good representation of the original and while there are some differences, I was able to jump back to being ten years old again and I soaked in this nostalgia. I am the exact market that this series was looking to cater too and they have succeeded to this point. I've played and beaten four of the six releases in just over a week since they were released, and I couldn't be happier playing these games. I can acknowledge, that when you compare these games to the stuff that's out now, graphically, they pale in comparison...however take it from me, these games were, and are still, amazing and should be played by everyone. If you like story telling in a game, then you really can't go wrong here. This story is masterfully woven and they do a great job making you invest and care in the characters. I'm looking forward to V as that is another one that I have never played. Considering how awesome IV and VI were, I have high hopes for this one.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I lied lol I had hoped to spend a week or so doing a review each night, however I went away for a week and didn't feel like using my work laptop to type and then Final Fantasy XVI came out the day I got back and I've been sidetracked. My first impression of the game is that it's awesome. The MA rating is throwing me for a bit of a loop since I wasn't expecting the word 'cock' in my Final Fantasy...but now that I'm expecting it, it's not bad. It has a very 'Game of Thrones' feel to it for me. I won't go into it much more now until I finish it, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far after about five hours of playing. I've also been trying to keep up with my dailies in Genshin Impact...the game that will never end. I still enjoy it, but I can't help but wonder how many other games I could have finished in the 800+ hours I've put into this one. I kind of hope they stop adding trophies so I don't feel as bad skipping days now and then...but I can usually get everything I need to do done in 20 minutes...but when you only have an hour and a half or so to play, it's almost a third of my gaming time a day. Well, now that I'm back home and stuff, I'll try to write a review per night until I've caught up. Next up is my favorite game of all time...

Platinum #188

1L92f857.png

Final Fantasy VI

Here it is folks, my favorite game of all time. If I had the power to relive a gaming experience again, I would choose this game without there really being a close second. I cannot understate how amazing this game was for me when I first played it when I was 13 years old. I got it for Christmas, loaded it up and began the best gaming ride of my life. This game came at the perfect time for me. As a 13 year old kid, this was a tough time during my life. Prior to this time of my life, gaming had always been more of a hobby...something I enjoyed to do, but I had lots of things I enjoyed doing. By the time this game came out, gaming had transformed from a hobby into an escape for me. I won't go into it much here since I already spilled my guts in the Trophies for Mental Health Event, but I was having a tough time at home and at school. My self esteem was really low and I just didn't feel like I had a lot to look forward to and not much hope of things getting better. Final Fantasy VI gave me an escape into a world where there was hope to make a difference. It gave me a place where I could live vicariously through the many characters that had surprising depth. This game had many mature themes, as well as some comedy, and most of all, a compelling story with an amazing soundtrack. I needed this game at that time of my life and it delivered what I was looking for.

What I love the best in this game is the story. It was the first game that moved away from the Crystals as a plot element and replaced them with magical beings called Espers. Espers were the source of magic and were supposedly wiped out a thousand years earlier during the 'War of the Magi...'. The game starts with one of these Espers being discovered in the mountains and you play as Biggs, Wedge and an unknown girl who mysteriously wields the power of magic. They show up riding on Magitek Armor that resembles the ED-209 from Robocop Screenshot-2023-06-27-214327.jpg.

Anyways, it was a pretty cool intro. I spent that first morning playing until your party splits up and then you have to choose which storyline you wish to complete first. I fell in love with the character Locke and I choose him first. When I had to do the next two sections, I couldn't wait to get back to Locke and see how his story continued. I'm not going to go through the game step by step, but I could lol. I'll just say I've played through this game probably twenty times. I have one save on my SNES cartridge where I have all of the Rage's you can get with my characters all maxed out, one save that stays at the Opera house and my third save is for replays. If I dust off my old SNES (which I do from time to time), this is the only game I play before packing it up again.

So how did I feel about this Pixel Remastered version? I give it  B+. They did this with all of the games, but I found it annoying that the names were changed from the NES/SNES versions. It's a small thing, but so many weapons, armor, items, and enemies were called something different. I know the games well enough where I still knew what they were...but it missed that nostalgia piece. I used to stay on the Veldt the first time through until I was able to learn the 'Marshal' Rage since his 'Wind Slash' ability was super strong for that time in the game. In this version, he's the 'Guard Leader'. The 'Telstar' was the 'Satellite'. The graphic was the same, but it was just different. My biggest disappointment, and it was a major disappointment...was that they changed the lyrics of the Opera scene. They did a rehaul of the graphics and made it looks a lot cooler and they also added the lyrics of people actually singing which was cool...but they changed the goddamn lyrics!! Imagine your favorite song comes on the radio and you go to sing along, but the words are completely different....(Guns N' Roses actually did this with their song Don't Cry on the Use Your Illusion CDs...anyone that liked the 'Alternate Lyrics' better is crazy). It was the thing I was looking forward to doing the most, and they changed the lyrics. What made it so disappointing was that nobody sang the song in the original game, it was just the soundtrack and then the words to match so I used to sing it in my head while doing it. I was looking forward to hearing it again and it was different. It wasn't bad...but it was different and not what I wanted during my nostalgia tour. The scene is still amazing and if you didn't play the original, you wouldn't know any better, but for me that was a huge bummer. I don't even know why they felt the need to change the lyrics since I thought they were amazing as is. There wasn't some bad translation or anything....I'll stop here with my complaining about it since I could ramble on for pages.

Outside of those couple of things, this version was a very good representation of the game. For those that have never played the game before, those two gripes I had do not exist and the game would be an amazing experience. I really appreciated that they allow you to play with the original score in addition to the newer mix. The newer mix is great, however the original soundtrack is still my favorite. The Celes theme song is what the alarm on my phone plays when I use it. That song is my favorite song from all of the games...in fact several of the theme songs are great. I do like that each of them has their own and it is very distinguishable. Several of my favorite characters in all of gaming come from this game as well. Locke is my favorite and the character I related to the most as a kid, with Celes and Shadow close behind. I did use the XP boost in this game...but I used it in reverse and chose to receive 0 XP for most of the beginning of the game.

In this game, you learn spells by equipping Espers. Certain Espers also give bonus's when you level up. For example, if you have Bismark equipped when you level up, you'll get a +2 to your STR stat. There are also Espers that give boosts to Magic Power, Stamina, HP, MP and Speed. The problem is, you do not get Espers till you're several hours into the game and you don't get Espers with +2 boosts on some stats until very late in the game. Since there is a level cap of 99, you can only get the boost as long as you can level your characters. There's also the problem that as you get new members to your group, they join your party with the average level of your party. So if you level a lot early in the game, when you get new characters later in the game, they start at a higher level leaving less room for stat boosts. Having the option to turn off XP was nice because I could keep my party as low as possible while filling out the bestiary until I got the Espers I wanted to boost my stats. 

In the later part of the game, there is a Coliseum, where you have the opportunity to send one of your characters into battle to win some rare items. The problem is you have to risk an item to get an item and oddly, you lose what you wager whether you win or lose the fight. If you win, you only get the new item and if you lose, you get nothing and lose your item. One would think that if you win, you get to keep your item and win the new one...but that's not how it works here. Anyways, the second issue is that you cannot control the character you pick. The computer will control him and he/she is not always smart. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing your dude cast Esuna on yourself during a turn when you do not have a status ailment. The trick is, to keep one of your characters from learning magic at all (mostly). That way, the only option he/she has is to attack. I always use Shadow in the Coliseum. I would wait until I get the Esper Raiden, which gives +2 to speed, and then level Shadow up to the point his speed stat is around 90-100. He then is basically hasted naturally and attacks really quickly. The only spell he'd know is Quick, which gives him an extra turn so it's not really a bad thing if he uses it during battle. If you have him learn any other spells, you risk having him use stupid things and wasting turns. The object is to kill the opponent as quick as possible since you can't count on your dude to cure him/herself. There's a boost in this game that puts the AP earned (thing you need to learn spells) at 0 so you could level up your Coliseum dude with no spells and still get the leveling bonus if you want.

It was fun to play the game this way since it's not something I could ever do in the original. I used to get to the second half of the game around level 25-30, but this time around I was able to get there at level 18, which gave me some extra levels for stat boosting. The game is not terribly hard at all and if you pay attention to your character's XP levels and equip the proper Espers at the proper times when you level, you can become OP pretty quickly. By and large, leveling Magic Power is the most useful one to do, followed probably by Speed and then Strength. There is no need to ever use the HP+ or MP+ boosts since you pretty much cap HP and MP naturally if you get to level 99. Magic power caps around 125 I believe, so for most of my characters, I get the Magic power to right around there and then boost speed so they can attack faster. With Magic Power that high, level one spells can do 9,999 damage to some enemies.

The only annoying trophy in the game is for getting 'Joker's Death' on Setzer's Slot ability. That requires you to get 7-7-7 on the slots and it kills all enemies. If you get 7-7-BAR, you get the 'Joker's Death' that kills everyone and gives you a game over screen. If you use 'auto-battle' you can supposedly get it, but I must've gotten the 7-7-BAR one thirty times and never got the 7-7-7. I was saving after every fight in case of the party wipe one happened and it got annoying fast. It's not terribly hard to time manually, however I think the game cheats at times and makes you miss on purpose. That trophy is largely RNG based and was annoying. I was happy when I finally got it and could stop worrying about it. I do recommend to start trying for that one early since it can take a while if RNG is bad.

Beyond that, I don't have too much else to offer without major spoilers or writing 45 pages. I know the game is thirty years old, but a lot of people may have never played it due to no trophies and I do not wish to deprive anyone of the joy of a blind playthrough. I cannot recommend this game enough and this version of the game is great for first timers and is adequate for those that are SNES version vets. I hope that everyone takes the time to play this masterpiece and I'd be curious to hear if anyone else loved this game as much as I have. If I could choose one game to be redone/remastered, it'd be this one...but ONLY if they didn't change the story and turn based format. I would just want a fresh coat of paint on it. I really enjoyed FF7R, but I would want this game to be truer to the source material than that one was. Speaking of which....I can't wait for FF7R part 2 next year :)

Edited by Briste
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Briste said:

So how did I feel about this Pixel Remastered version? I give it  B+. They did this with all of the games, but I found it annoying that the names were changed from the NES/SNES versions. It's a small thing, but so many weapons, armor, items, and enemies were called something different. I know the games well enough where I still knew what they were...but it missed that nostalgia piece. I used to stay on the Veldt the first time through until I was able to learn the 'Marshal' Rage since his 'Wind Slash' ability was super strong for that time in the game. In this version, he's the 'Guard Leader'. The 'Telstar' was the 'Satellite'. The graphic was the same, but it was just different. My biggest disappointment, and it was a major disappointment...was that they changed the lyrics of the Opera scene. They did a rehaul of the graphics and made it looks a lot cooler and they also added the lyrics of people actually singing which was cool...but they changed the goddamn lyrics!!

I'm super excited for when I reach FFVI in my Pixel Remastered playthroughs! It's odd that they made some localization changes to items and enemies - especially since I assume the localization done thirty years ago wasn't riddled with errors in these areas. I'm super surprised to hear that they changed something as big as the Opera scene lyrics - I've kept myself mostly blind to the story, but my understanding is that a pretty big moment in the story. While that is really annoying, I'm glad that you brought it up so that when I get to this game, I know to watch the original scene online afterwards.

I did use the XP boost in this game...but I used it in reverse and chose to receive 0 XP for most of the beginning of the game.

In this game, you learn spells by equipping Espers. Certain Espers also give bonus's when you level up. For example, if you have Bismark equipped when you level up, you'll get a +2 to your STR stat. There are also Espers that give boosts to Magic Power, Stamina, HP, MP and Speed. The problem is, you do not get Espers till you're several hours into the game and you don't get Espers with +2 boosts on some stats until very late in the game. Since there is a level cap of 99, you can only get the boost as long as you can level your characters. There's also the problem that as you get new members to your group, they join your party with the average level of your party. So if you level a lot early in the game, when you get new characters later in the game, they start at a higher level leaving less room for stat boosts. Having the option to turn off XP was nice because I could keep my party as low as possible while filling out the bestiary until I got the Espers I wanted to boost my stats. 

Thank you for mentioning this! I've been using the XP Boosts in the earlier games because I've already put in my thousand of hours of RPG grinding - let alone Final Fantasy grinding, lol. I took a quick glance at the PSNP trophy and collectible guides and they don't mention this at all. I probably won't go as far as turning XP to 0, especially being unfamiliar with the game, but even leaving it at x1 for a while sounds like it will be really helpful. 

It was fun to play the game this way since it's not something I could ever do in the original. I used to get to the second half of the game around level 25-30, but this time around I was able to get there at level 18, which gave me some extra levels for stat boosting. The game is not terribly hard at all and if you pay attention to your character's XP levels and equip the proper Espers at the proper times when you level, you can become OP pretty quickly. By and large, leveling Magic Power is the most useful one to do, followed probably by Speed and then Strength. There is no need to ever use the HP+ or MP+ boosts since you pretty much cap HP and MP naturally if you get to level 99. Magic power caps around 125 I believe, so for most of my characters, I get the Magic power to right around there and then boost speed so they can attack faster. With Magic Power that high, level one spells can do 9,999 damage to some enemies.

Noted! ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

I'm super excited for when I reach FFVI in my Pixel Remastered playthroughs! It's odd that they made some localization changes to items and enemies - especially since I assume the localization done thirty years ago wasn't riddled with errors in these areas. I'm super surprised to hear that they changed something as big as the Opera scene lyrics - I've kept myself mostly blind to the story, but my understanding is that a pretty big moment in the story. While that is really annoying, I'm glad that you brought it up so that when I get to this game, I know to watch the original scene online afterwards.

From what I understand, the translation wasn't great, however I never really noticed. I think it was a bigger problem in FFIV and that's why we have phrases like 'Spoony Bard!'. I wouldn't have noticed the dialogue as much, but I agree that it is odd that they did make those localization changes. I didn't even realize there were alternate lyrics until I played this...then I Googled it to see if I had lost my mind and had misremembered the lyrics. Turns out there's like three or four versions I believe. I'm sure if you do watch the original SNES lyrics, you won't understand the need for a change either. It's still really good and I hope you end up enjoying it.

9 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

Thank you for mentioning this! I've been using the XP Boosts in the earlier games because I've already put in my thousand of hours of RPG grinding - let alone Final Fantasy grinding, lol. I took a quick glance at the PSNP trophy and collectible guides and they don't mention this at all. I probably won't go as far as turning XP to 0, especially being unfamiliar with the game, but even leaving it at x1 for a while sounds like it will be really helpful. 

No problem! They probably don't mention it because it really isn't needed, since you can still be pretty OP without it...but if you get to level 60 or something early because you did 4x XP, you'll miss out on some really fun customization possibilities with your team. You'll definitely be fine if you keep the XP at x1 and it'll probably make some of the parts a bit easier along the way. I just found your thread on here and I look forward to reading your thoughts when you get there!

14-L0dbcd5.png

FAR: Lone Sails

The next game on my list was a happy accident that I have to give tangential credit to @Cassylvania for me discovering. Cass has probably one of the most viewed trophy checklists on the site and I am one to read it regularly. As most of you probably know, Cass is doing a solo event trying to justify a PS+ subscription by playing PS+ games and utilizing a wheel of death to do the picking. As luck would have it (lucky for me but maybe not Cass ?), Cass's first game up was Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot. I have never watched the show and I know nothing about the games. I've heard of Goku and I think that's about as far as my knowledge goes. It was mentioned in the thread that there is a meme from the show that has something to do with 'It's Over 9000!', which I know nothing about. As luck would have it though...I was about 150 trophies away from getting my 9000th trophy and thought it might be fun to have my 9001 trophy have something to do with that meme. I Googled 'It's Over 9000! trophy' and a game called FAR: Lone Sails popped up as a game with that trophy name. When I saw the trophy image (see above), I thought it was a perfect trophy for 9001. I checked out the game here and saw it did not have a platinum and had a relatively low player count. I looked it up on the PS Store and saw it was like $10 and figured what the hell...why not? 

I did a bit of research on the trophy to see if it was RNG based or if I could time it for when I wanted it to pop and was happy to see that not only could I time it, it would probably be my last trophy and I wouldn't have to quit playing the game halfway through until I got to 9000 trophies. I had a lot of moving parts with this trophy setup since, for reasons, I wanted to have the entire Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series completed consecutively and in a row on my trophy list, which they will be once I finish the games stuck in the middle there now. I also wanted the Final Fantasy VI plat to be a milestone since it is my favorite game ever. In order to do that, it'd have to be my 9000th trophy since saving it for plat 200 would put them out of order. I needed to get FFVI ready to platinum, get another 150ish trophies without finishing another game to keep the FF series in order and get the 9001 trophy ready to pop right after. A lot of moving parts, but nothing terribly hard to do...just needed patience and to pay attention. You'll notice though, that I popped several games on June 14th since that was the day the magic happened. 

All that I've written so far was the lead up to how I found the game and why I chose to play it...but what the hell was it? For starters, it's probably my favorite non-Final Fantasy game I've played this year. It was short, fun and surprisingly good! The game seems like it should be a survival game since the setting looks like a post apocalyptic world where you are trying to find another person, however outside of collecting fuel for your landship, there's no 'survival' aspects to the game. You can't die from hunger or anything (you can burn to death but it'll just reload your game from when you died). This game has not a single word of dialogue and there are absolutely no directions on what you need to do. It's a 2D setup and you can only run right or left, or climb up or down in some areas when solving puzzles. The game honestly felt a bit like Overcooked! to me. There is some light puzzle solving and it is mostly a timing game with traps.

The game starts with you, at what appears to be, a gravesite. Perhaps of the only other person alive in the world. There's no credits or title screen really...the game just starts. Your only option is to run right. The controls are very basic. You can move, jump, and pick things up or drop them...that's about it. After running a short distance, you come upon a landship (see below) and your job is to get the thing moving and drive to the right. There's not really any directions, there's just some boxes and some buttons and a few labels near stuff. In essence, everything you can pick up can be used as fuel. There are hooks scattered about you can hang stuff from and rooms where you can also drop stuff to store. You need to put the fuel into the engine and keep your ship moving. I'm not sure what happens if you run out of things to use as fuel since that never happened to me. I'm assuming you may need to reload a previous checkpoint and do a better job of salvaging things or maybe you just pull your ship until you find more fuel. I've included a screenshot below to describe the different aspects of the landship. This is a trophy image of mine of a picture of the ship later in the game. You don't start with all of the numbered items and collect a lot of them as you go.

Screenshot-20230628-205716-PS-App-489.jp

1. This is a vacuum that sucks up items that you drive over that can be used as fuel. It really helps speed things up as you do not have to stop to manually collect the fuel. Unlockable item via the story.
  2. This is a winch that you can grab to pull your ship back if needed or you can hook to things behind you. Starting item.
  3. This is the fuel loader. You put items on here you wish to put in the incinerator to add fuel. Starting item.
  4. This is the button you push to load the incinerator. Starting item. 
  5. This is a repair kit that lets you fix parts of your ship that get damaged. Unlockable item via the story.
  6. This is a fire hose that you use to put out any fires that may appear. Fires often occur if you crash into things. The hose can go very far. Starting item.
  7. This is the elevator that you can use to get to the top of the landship to reach the sails or puzzle areas. Starting item.
  8. This is the steam gauge that tells you how much steam has built up in the engine. If you press the button connected to it, it will release the steam pressure. If the pressure gets too high, your engine will shut off and could be damaged. Starting item.
  9. These are your sails. Push that giant button to raise them. If the sails are raised and you push it, they will go down. They do not go down automatically unless they hit something. Unlockable item via the story.
  10. This is the brake. Push that button to stop your landship and keep it from rolling. It is very easy to release the break and your ship could roll away from you if you're parked on a hill. Starting item.
  11. This is the gas pedal. Push that button to engage the engine (as the little red dude in the picture is doing right here). It automatically turns off like everything 15 seconds or so if you do not press it again to keep it pressed in. The speed gauge is right next to that button. Starting item.
  12. This is your fuel tank. How it looks in this image is a full tank. If you run out of fuel, you'll stop moving (unless your sails are up and there's wind). Your other systems won't work if you're out of fuel. Starting item.
  13. This flag will show you if there is wind and which direction it is facing. The way it is pointed in the picture means your sails will work. If it's hanging down or pointing in the other direction, you want your sails down. Starting item.
  14. These gauges show you how much damage your systems have sustained. If the meter falls below those lines, your system will not work optimally and should be repaired. The broken system will spark as well if it falls below one of those lines making it obvious what needs repairs. Starting item, but gauges only appear as you get the corresponding upgrade.
  15. This is your odometer. It doesn't really serve any purpose, but when this shows 9001, you'll get that trophy :) It takes 3+ playthroughs to reach that distance. Starting item.
  16. This is the front winch. It works similarly to the back one where you can pull your boat if needed or hook it to something. Pressing that button will wind the winch. Starting item.

So the game is basically finding a rhythm of monitoring all your systems, while maintaining enough fuel to keep moving, while watching the wind direction, while paying attention to obstacles that could be coming in front of you (if you crash, you'll probably damage your systems), while stopping to solve mini-puzzles that either open your way, add an upgrade, or both, until you reach your destination. It takes a little bit to figure out something that works, but once you get going...it's a lot of fun. 

The game is pretty short as there's a speed run that must be completed in less than 99 minutes. I think I did the speed run in about 90 minutes so there is room to spare. You can also reload a prior checkpoint if you think you took too long doing a puzzle or something and your timer will go back to what it was when you hit the checkpoint so it's very forgiving. As I mentioned, you'll need to do 3+ playthroughs to 100% the game as each run is just under 3000 meters. I thought it was more than that, and maybe the odometer is glitched because I swear I hit 9000 meters and the when the odometer rolled over from 8999, it went to 8000...but I may have just not been looking at it right. I'd be curious if anyone else notices that.

This was a happy discovery and I'm very glad to have played it. The artwork was really nice and I very much enjoyed the soundtrack. The games not terribly hard, but was busy to play. I liked it so much that I bought the sequel, FAR: Changing Tides as soon as I finished this one. That will be the next game I review. Lone Sails is kind of short, so I'm not sure it's worth paying much more than $10 for...but it really is a fun and entertaining game that I would highly recommend if you're looking for a nice little palate cleanser in between longer titles. 

• Like 4

Still playing some catch up. I'm finding I want to spend my free time playing Final Fantasy XVI. It's not your typical Final Fantasy, but I think it's an amazing game regardless. It's hard to choose to spend an hour writing a review when I could be playing a game. I'm almost caught up, but this will be slower sailing than I had thought initially.

Speaking of sailing...

Platinum #189

1La471d8.png

FAR: Changing Tides

After very much enjoying the happy discovery of FAR: Lone Sails, I decided to pick up the sequel that was on sale (I think). This game has a platinum and looked like it was going to be a slightly longer experience compared to the first game as there is a speed run trophy in this one as well, but it's to be done in under 210 minutes as opposed to the 99 from the first entry. This was the game that I had to pay close attention to with regards to popping trophies since this was the game that was going to get me to 8998 trophies in order to pop my FFVI milestone plat. Thankfully, I had enough of a gap of trophies that I needed that I could do my first playthrough without worrying about popping too many and blowing my milestone. This game was probably going to require a second playthrough anyway for the speed run trophy, so I could take my time and enjoy the first time through.

This game starts off the same way as the first one...with no words, text or direction on what to do. Once again, the only real option is to go right and that is the way you go. Very early, you get to see how they changed up this one. The first game takes place almost exclusively on land as you are trying to captain a landship to find civilization. With this game, you come upon water almost immediately and can swim underwater to explore. Instead of starting in an arid wasteland, you are in a flooded city. Your guy is apparently an Atlantean or something since he can hold his breath indefinitely or breath underwater. There is no air timer or anything that leads you to believe you will drown if you are underwater too long. Anyway, this game is pretty much the same as the first game, just instead of a landship, you have an actual ship ship. It has the same basic premise of having sails and an engine that needs fueling. There's still a hose to put out fires and instead of having a permanent structure to use for repairs, you have repair boxes that have about six uses before disappearing. There's a new 'Turbo' speed that is added as you progress as well. The game has that same Overcooked! feel for busywork and timing and is still a lot of fun.

There is an added wrinkle in this game, however...not only can your ship sail on the surface, but later in the game you gain the ability to turn it into a submersible and drive underwater. You get a machine you can hook the hose up to either flood with water to go under or expel the water to surface. You can choose to have the hose suck or blow and it is how you control your depth. It adds a really cool dimension to the game and also adds something else to pay attention to. I found that I was never really in danger of running out of resources in this one and I believe the speed run time is very lenient. I did quite a bit of exploring and I think I just missed the time my first attempt. I believe I beat it with like twenty minutes to spare when I actually tried the speed run.

There's not a ton to add about the gameplay for this one since it very closely mirrors the first one. The puzzles are slightly more complex (still not terribly hard) and there are some slight changes with making things more realistic, but the spirit of the game is the same. The sailing mechanic was more complex as there were more than two directions the wind could be blowing. You could adjust the position of the sails to catch the wind and move faster. It probably mirrors actual sailing pretty closely with the way you have to shift the sails. It pretty easy to get the hang of as the flag the shows the wind direction goes higher up the sail the more you catch the wind and starts to lower as your sails are losing steam. But requires a lot more attention to be paid in order to maximize speed. The engine is also fleshed out a bit more as you can control the speed and even reverse. There is not steam release button for this one and instead you have to use the hose to cool off the engine to prevent overheating. The annoying thing here is that to cool the engine, you have to spray the hose over the incinerator and it's very easy to accidentally cool the incinerator, slowing down your momentum. You also heat the incinerator a bit different in this game. Instead of just pushing a button, you have to jump on a 'bellows' like a blacksmith would, to add air to the fire and keep the incinerator going. They've added more storage and a loading system for the fuel and the ship is a lot bigger here than in the first one. In addition to the hose/cooling element being a bit stupid for how it is laid out, I found some of the buttons (especially the engine fuel feeder) to be in a little bit of an annoying place. I accidentally hit the loader button into the incinerator several times, wasting fuel. But, as I said, it wasn't a huge deal since I found fuel to be frequent enough that I never ran out.

I enjoyed this game every bit as much as the first. It expanded on what the first one built and had the same great music and artwork. It is very well done and is another game that has been criminally underplayed. The only semi spoiler-y thing I'll say is pay attention to the very end sequence. I missed it the first time I ran through the game and beat it, and only noticed it after my second, speed run playthrough...but the game ends in a very cool way. Not that there's a huge story here, but if there was, the spoiler below is a major spoiler so open at your own risk.

Spoiler

It is unclear throughout the game if you're playing the same character from the first game or not, however once you get to the lighthouse at the end, and the screen flips, and you are all of a sudden going right to left instead of left to right...the game ends with you meeting up with the person from the first game at the pyre that you lit to end the first one. I thought that was a very cool way to tie the two games together and end the story. 

I really hope that more people check this game/series out. It is a lot of fun, very well done and I would highly recommend.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Nice piece dude.

In a nut shell this is a very small representation of what’s going on in societies all over the planet right now. People entrenched in the sensation that being offended immediately makes you ‘right’ and the offender ‘wrong’. There is no appetite or Available avenue to engage in meaningful debate between two ideologies or points of view. In the main it seems If what’s being said offends an individual it’s just bring down the shutters and fingers in the ears time. No interest in any attempted empathy or understanding of a different perspective. No one can respectfully agree to disagree as much these days :(

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PotrikBerger said:

Nice piece dude.

In a nut shell this is a very small representation of what’s going on in societies all over the planet right now. People entrenched in the sensation that being offended immediately makes you ‘right’ and the offender ‘wrong’. There is no appetite or Available avenue to engage in meaningful debate between two ideologies or points of view. In the main it seems If what’s being said offends an individual it’s just bring down the shutters and fingers in the ears time. No interest in any attempted empathy or understanding of a different perspective. No one can respectfully agree to disagree as much these days :(

Thanks dude. I agree. We're supposed to be a more tolerant society, however it seems we're so quick to label these days. If you wear this, it means you're that. If you listen to this, it means you're that. If you laugh at this, it means you're that. People are so quick to tell other people what they are instead of having a conversation and letting them explain for themselves. I'm so out of the loop on pop culture things, that I have no idea what things mean anymore and could easily do/say something that could be deemed offensive without even knowing it. I feel intent is less relevant than it used to be. I enjoy talking with people and hearing what they have to say, it's the best way I learn.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PotrikBerger said:

In a nutshell, this is a very small representation of what’s going on in societies all over the planet right now. People entrenched in the sensation that being offended immediately makes you ‘right’ and the offender ‘wrong’. There is no appetite or available avenue to engage in meaningful debate between two ideologies or points of view. In the main, it seems that if what’s being said offends an individual it’s just bring down the shutters and fingers in the ears time. No interest in any attempted empathy or understanding of a different perspective. No one can respectfully agree to disagree as much these days. :(

The thing is, people seem so much more offended by things nowadays because now they are finally allowed to voice their opinions with the help of social media platforms, whereas before they would have no avenue to express their disapproval due to their complete ostracization by society – but in fact, they were always offended by these things. And, a lot of the time, the opinions and ideologies they are asked to respectfully disagree with are a threat to their very existence, which is why they might seem intolerant of differing opinions and etc. on a surface level yet their true objective is just to prevent more attention from being given to such kinds of discourse lest it seem justified. Of course, there are a lot of Twitter users or whatever that are just looking for some quick clout, but they are merely a vocal minority.

Obviously, what I just said is not the case when it specifically comes to something as minor as trophy-hunting, but alas. My opinion on the topic, personally, is that some folks take the hobby far too seriously and such things happening every once in a while are nice to hopefully help ground a bit such people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

The thing is, people seem so much more offended by things nowadays because now they are finally allowed to voice their opinions with the help of social media platforms, whereas before they would have no avenue to express their disapproval due to their complete ostracization by society – but in fact, they were always offended by these things. And, a lot of the time, the opinions and ideologies they are asked to respectfully disagree with are a threat to their very existence, which is why they might seem intolerant of differing opinions and etc. on a surface level yet their true objective is just to prevent more attention from being given to such kinds of discourse lest it seem justified. Of course, there are a lot of Twitter users or whatever that are just looking for some quick clout, but they are merely a vocal minority.

I agree with you here 100%. I understand that no one likes to be offended, however I think if people could tolerate being offended for a long enough time to have some productive conversations, a lot more could be accomplished than the current atmosphere allows for.

Devil's advocate though...this line right here:

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

the opinions and ideologies they are asked to respectfully disagree with are a threat to their very existence, which is why they might seem intolerant of differing opinions

I believe holds true for all sides of a lot of these 'discussions'. The problem is that no side seems interested in finding a middle ground or even trying to have a civil discourse. The only way people seem to be able to communicate to one another is through threats and insults, which makes people defensive and less likely to listen to each other.

An example I have from my personal life is from my days in college. I was in college when 9/11 happened and my school was very involved with civil disobedience and social activism. I was primarily there to take classes and play baseball. I remember walking through the mail room one day to check my box, and there was a group there looking to organize a march in protest of something. I can't recall if it was in protest of the war or something else (there was a lot of things to protest at the time....still is I suppose....) They were taking donations and looking for people to march. I remember being called over to their table they had setup and I walked over to listen to what they had to say. I agreed with what they were doing and gave a $10 donation for the cause. The person I was talking to was enthused that I donated and asked if I'd be willing to march with them. I politely declined and told them I would be there with them in spirit and turned to get my mail and go back to my dorm room. Instead of letting me walk away, the person decided to insult me for not being truly committed and only paying lip service to the cause. If I wouldn't march with them, I was just a pretender...

I was someone who was supporting them, but because I didn't go as far as this person wanted, instead of thanking me for the support and donation or just letting me walk away, they tried to embarrass and shame me. I was trying to be an ally and this one individual made me almost opposed to the cause out of spite. I wasn't since I still agreed with what they were marching for, but I was no longer supporting this person. Whenever I saw this particular person looking for donations, signatures, or volunteers an other times outside the mailroom, I would turn around and get my mail later since I didn't appreciate the way that person made me feel during our first interaction. I'm an anxious person and feel very uncomfortable in a crowd. I would have probably supported more of the work that person was involved with via donations, but marching was never going to be something I was comfortable doing. This one persons belligerent actions ended up hurting the cause. I doubt I was the only person this happened to. Obviously, not everyone is like this...but all it takes are a few and all of a sudden instead of allies and support you're left with indifference or more opposition. 

• Like 1

Oh, I do definitely get you on the "turning away possible allies to the cause" front, and I'm sorry you had to go through that. What I was mostly referring to is something along the lines of X bigoted action or quote happening, and the people who are affected by that being asked to ignore/respectfully disagree/etc. even though if they did that, it would serve to legitimize such occurrence.

Sure, sometimes it happens out of a place of ignorance rather than malice and if there was enough conversation there most likely would be a turning-over of heads, but the thing is that there's so much malice and plausible deniability is so used by these types that it's difficult to tell at times, and thus people naturally tend to get more defensive. It's a tough situation, especially with the main social media platforms going in the direction that they are.

• Like 1

On 22.7.2023 at 5:04 AM, Briste said:

When you do something hard, that you're proud of, it's nice to have something to show for it.

If it were just that, things on the site would be all right. Unfortunately, some people here only draw a feeling of achievement when others didn't do the throphy. It's not enough to do it, but someone else must not have done it. It's the comparitive element that fuels much of the heat around the trophy discussions.

On 22.7.2023 at 5:04 AM, Briste said:

In all honesty, I think adding more varied leaderboards to the site could help with the toxicity since people could pick the one that matters most to them and leave the others alone...

It'd would just shift the unhealthy stuff toward which leaderboard is the "real" one. I don't think it would dampen any of it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what camp I sit in, I think I'm halfway between gamer and trophy hunter. I will put in the effort to get as many of the trophies as I can or I feel is worth my time, but I won't let it dictate what I play. Also, if it becomes a point where I start to dislike the game because of a few terrible remaining trophies, i'll take a break and maybe revisit later.

Lately, I've been aiming to bring up my completion percent and have a silly goal to get all (if possible) trophies in trophy advisor above 50%. Actually started at 37% completion with over 5000 unearned trophies when I joined this site in 2018/2019, now its at 68% and sitting just below 5k unearned.

As for people being offended more, I they might have been before usually before having free space to express their feelings, but also think "influencers" have something to do with it to. They get more views by sharing negative thoughts and people that watch them glom onto it. News channels have been using this practice for views forever.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 8:42 AM, Eagle said:

Sure, sometimes it happens out of a place of ignorance rather than malice and if there was enough conversation there most likely would be a turning-over of heads, but the thing is that there's so much malice and plausible deniability is so used by these types that it's difficult to tell at times, and thus people naturally tend to get more defensive. It's a tough situation, especially with the main social media platforms going in the direction that they are.

I agree with the social media platforms issue. It's just way too easy for misinformation to be spread and fan the flames. People tend to read and believe the things they see that they already agree with, whether it is true or not. It is taken as fact and it gets to be an even larger uphill battle. It's a weird dichotomy, because I generally think that things are getting better in the middle with more level headed people willing to listen, but the extremes are getting worse. With them being the loudest and social media giving everyone a platform, it looks worse than ever....however what do I know?

17 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

If it were just that, things on the site would be all right. Unfortunately, some people here only draw a feeling of achievement when others didn't do the throphy. It's not enough to do it, but someone else must not have done it. It's the comparitive element that fuels much of the heat around the trophy discussions.

I agree, but I also think this goes back to how you achieved it. For example, you and I both got the There is only war! trophy by banging our heads against a wall for 40,000+ kills. Between the EU and Vita stacks of the game, only 39 people have had the patience to achieve that trophy from 4478 Game Owners. That took hours and hours to accomplish and I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd be pretty bummed if there was an exploit that was discovered that let you get that trophy with little to no effort. Granted, the game is not good and it was more a battle of attrition than anything else, but I do get a sense of satisfaction that I did something that other people were not willing to do. Call it stamina or insanity or whatever you want, but you and I sat there and did it. I did it for two reasons...first, because I want to finish every game that I start (if possible), and two, I wanted to do something that other people weren't willing to do. That was my incentive and my test with that game. It wasn't hard, it was just a massive grind...but I'd be lying further if I said the rarity of that trophy wasn't part of the draw of doing it. Of course I'd never rub that in anyone's face or begrudge anyone that would take advantage of that glitch should it arrive....but I'd certainly feel frustration at it.

A lot of the games I've chosen to play I've chosen for the pure reason that no one else really has and I was curious why. Strategic Mind: The Pacific, NeverEnd, Ash of Gods: Redemption, and Space Hulk are examples of games that I chose to play largely because there were so few owners. Call it the draw of the unknown I guess. I get what you're saying though that when you weaponize that and hold it against someone else, it is toxic...but a lot of times I think those people are just toxic anyway. They could get everything they wanted and still find a way to be a dick.

7 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I'm not sure what camp I sit in, I think I'm halfway between gamer and trophy hunter. I will put in the effort to get as many of the trophies as I can or I feel is worth my time, but I won't let it dictate what I play. Also, if it becomes a point where I start to dislike the game because of a few terrible remaining trophies, i'll take a break and maybe revisit later.

I was trending more towards the trophy hunter side of things myself, and during my streak, it was as close as I'd get to a collector...but I'd like to start trending back toward the gamer side of it. I don't think I could ever get back to a full gamer though since I genuinely do like the idea of trophies. I do let the trophies dictate games I'll play more than I'd like to admit. I won't play a game with unobtainables and if I see a platforming game with no death runs, I'll probably steer clear of them since they tend to frustrate me. I do think that as I get even older, I'll probably gear back towards the gamer side of things though. Not that I'm a terribly skillful gamer or anything, but what skill I do possess will eventually wane, and I'll probably care less about 100% and more about enjoying things again. For now though, I'm still striving for 100% and I do plan on going back to my incompletes during the coming months to finish them up.

7 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Lately, I've been aiming to bring up my completion percent and have a silly goal to get all (if possible) trophies in trophy advisor above 50%. Actually started at 37% completion with over 5000 unearned trophies when I joined this site in 2018/2019, now its at 68% and sitting just below 5k unearned.

I don't think that's silly! I have a personal goal of getting the average rarity of my games lower. It was at like 40.5%ish about a year ago and I had it down to 38.5% before the Pixel Remasters came out, now up back up over 39%. But my goal is to stay under 40% for no other reason than I want to lol That's awesome progress you've made and something to be proud of. It's good to set goals I think...it makes it more interesting :)    

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 11:04 PM, Briste said:

Gamers Vs Trophy Hunters Vs Trophy Collectors

Awesome post Briste! Pretty fun to read somebody else write about something relating to video games rather than a game itself. I think your 3 categories are quite sound. Gamers are your most typical player. They play what they wanna play and are there for the game above all else. Trophy Hunters as you mentioned, have a mix of both. The trophies are undeniably a factor at play. I'll admit, I go into every game I play collecting to get every trophy. I purposefully avoid games I think I couldn't complete (which is why NBA2k went from an every year entry fro me to not having been touched in 5 years). But... it's not the WHOLE thing. OR else I'd kill myself getting that one dumb glitched trophy in Forager. Finally, yea... trophy collectors. Not tryna sound judgy but if I ever reach that point take me behind the barn.

The leaderboard stuff is funny for me. I have NEVER cared about the leaderboard, and a large reason because of that is probably because by the time I got into the hobby, it was so watered down and diluted it never mattered to me. If I had been around say, well before all the trophy collector games came out, I'd perhaps feel differently. I think a bunch of varied leaderboards would be fun. In my opinion, one simple filter fixes everything. Filter trophies & games with stats of over 80% rarity. Anything above that mark is SO "common" that it's not "hunting" worthy and so frequently popped by even the casual player, no point in even counting it into the leaderboard stats. I think that one simple solution fixes a lot of the beef people have.

I don't really get involved in those fights since I stick to my own thread. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't some sinister part of me that loves it. Oh a thread with 100+ replies in the last 3 hours? This is gonna be JUICY. Without it, game's gone.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 9:41 PM, realm722 said:

Awesome post Briste! Pretty fun to read somebody else write about something relating to video games rather than a game itself. I think your 3 categories are quite sound. Gamers are your most typical player. They play what they wanna play and are there for the game above all else. Trophy Hunters as you mentioned, have a mix of both. The trophies are undeniably a factor at play. I'll admit, I go into every game I play collecting to get every trophy. I purposefully avoid games I think I couldn't complete (which is why NBA2k went from an every year entry fro me to not having been touched in 5 years). But... it's not the WHOLE thing. OR else I'd kill myself getting that one dumb glitched trophy in Forager. Finally, yea... trophy collectors. Not tryna sound judgy but if I ever reach that point take me behind the barn.

Thanks! I enjoy reading yours and I finally felt like I had something to say on a topic separate from my gaming lol 100% is still technically possible for me (although SMB may be beyond my skill set), and I'll continue to look at games as such. I won't play a game right now where the 100% is unobtainable, no matter how good it could be. That may change down the road if I ever do run into a situation like @Cassylvania where a broken DLC is released on a game I've already started and then they never fix said DLC. For now though, all my incomplete games are games I plan on completing sooner rather than later. Now that my streak is gone and my side project seems like it won't happen, I'm going to finish up and get back to 100% if I can. So I'd still consider myself a 'gamer' at heart, but I've definitely made trophies play a bigger role.

The leaderboard stuff is funny for me. I have NEVER cared about the leaderboard, and a large reason because of that is probably because by the time I got into the hobby, it was so watered down and diluted it never mattered to me. If I had been around say, well before all the trophy collector games came out, I'd perhaps feel differently. I think a bunch of varied leaderboards would be fun. In my opinion, one simple filter fixes everything. Filter trophies & games with stats of over 80% rarity. Anything above that mark is SO "common" that it's not "hunting" worthy and so frequently popped by even the casual player, no point in even counting it into the leaderboard stats. I think that one simple solution fixes a lot of the beef people have.

I don't personally care much about the leaderboard either, for pretty much the same reasons you wrote. I do like seeing my 'Rank' in green letters as opposed to red, but I have no delusions of grandeur when it comes to it. I would like to see some varied boards solely so that I can check out how like-minded players are playing. I like the idea of a completest board, where only 100% games count towards totals, I like the idea of a rarity board, the standard board, whatever really. I think the more metrics available, the cooler it is. Of course, people would argue over which board is the 'real' board, but I'd look at those pretty similarly to the current one as far as a ranking. It's kind of like in baseball where some people would swear by the old metrics of batting average, home runs and RBI as opposed to the newer metrics of OPS and WAR and stuff. I like all of them since I think they all add context.

I don't really get involved in those fights since I stick to my own thread. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't some sinister part of me that loves it. Oh a thread with 100+ replies in the last 3 hours? This is gonna be JUICY. Without it, game's gone.

lol you and me both dude. Even though I'm a Red Sox fan, I will sometimes watch the Yankees more if they are losing lol Sometimes I like to see my rival doing bad as much as I like to see my team doing well....not sure what that says about me as a human being....but it's true.

I have been meaning to write my last three reviews for like a month now....they won't be long since they are heavily story driven and I'm not about to post spoilers...but on a personal level, my boss was let go a couple weeks back and, as anyone that works in the US can tell you, that means I get to do his duties now (without compensation...) until they find a replacement. There's a decent chance that replacement is me...but it's really extended out my work days quite a bit and I've definitely chosen to unwind in the hour I have each night by playing instead of posting. I am going on vacation for two weeks starting tonight though, so I'll hopefully find the inspiration to catch up on my reviews. We're taking our kids to Disney for the first week and then I'll be home for the second week....week two is when I have no excuses not to catch up lol

• Like 2

Don't forget Game Collectors. These are a breed I'll never understand. They'll buy full-priced and overpriced games just to...display them? Like, they won't even take them out of the shrink wrap. They'll just stick them on a shelf and say, "Yup, that's mine." (Clearly, these people have no right mocking Trophy Collectors.)

I'm actually one of them. I like physical media and I'm a sucker for good box art. But if I'm going to spend money on a game, you better believe I'm going to play it. To me, I guess trophies are one part validation (as in, I'm validating the money I spent on this purchase by getting some play value out of it) and one part challenge (as in, if I felt this game was worth my money, it should also be worth my time and effort). The actual number behind the trophies, whether the game has a lot of trophies or a few or if it has a platinum or a bunch of golds, doesn't matter to me. I've said before that I'd like this hobby just as much if every game only had one trophy and it would be awarded for doing whatever the developers consider "beating" the game. (That said, obviously I prefer the system the way it is now.)

To me, this has always been an individual hobby, so the leaderboards don't mean anything. In some way, I guess I see it as a way for me to compete against myself, to challenge me to do things that I otherwise wouldn't attempt. I mean, as a kid, I'd come up with my own "trophies" by giving myself in-game challenges, like beating all of Pokemon with a team of three or speedrunning every star in Super Mario Galaxy in a single weekend (still my proudest achievement to date, I think). My favorite trophies are the ones that are creative and fun but don't come across as tedious or unfairly difficult.

I don't know what I'd consider myself on your list. I guess a Trophy Hunter. My first instinct when I come across a new game is to look at the trophy list. I'll admit that the longer or harder a game looks, the less appealing it (generally) feels to me. Part of me used to feel bad about that, but then I realized the same thing applies to books, movies, and TV shows. My time is valuable to me and I should be concerned with how I spend it. If a game is going to ask a lot out of me, it better give a lot in return. That's why I'll continue to shower praise on games like Dark Souls, XCOM, and now Rain World until the end of time. Yes, they put me through the wringer, but they delivered on their promise. I can respect any game that can put out that much content and not make me regret my purchase or how I'm spending my time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, Cassylvania said:

To me, this has always been an individual hobby, so the leaderboards don't mean anything. In some way, I guess I see it as a way for me to compete against myself, to challenge me to do things that I otherwise wouldn't attempt. I mean, as a kid, I'd come up with my own "trophies" by giving myself in-game challenges, like beating all of Pokemon with a team of three or speedrunning every star in Super Mario Galaxy in a single weekend (still my proudest achievement to date, I think). My favorite trophies are the ones that are creative and fun but don't come across as tedious or unfairly difficult.

I agree with this. Other than in passing, looking at a profile and thinking 'oh, that's a [fill in the blank] profile', no one should really care. I could understand if there was like a professional league or something and an equal playing field, where there was something legitimate at risk, where people would care more....but as it stands, this is truly an individual hobby. I was the same as a kid as far as giving myself in-game challenges. I've mentioned in previous reviews of Final Fantasy games about how I'd do low level runs or max stat runs or whatever to add replay value. It was needed much more back then since I feel like it was a lot harder to come by new games, and they were all more expensive, so we had to be creative to get our money's worth. There are literally thousands of games these days, so once we get the plat/100%, there's more incentive now to move onto something different than there used to be. I tend to dislike trophies that rely on RNG and enjoy trophies that are rewarded for doing everything. They can be tedious, but I don't generally like trophies that are something like 'Get 20 of X collectible' and that's it when there might be 50 of that collectible. It makes more sense for me if the trophy is for doing it all then for doing it just a bit....but I don't really care that much. I do like when the platinum is rewarded for doing everything though. I think the strangest game I've played with regards to that is Final Fantasy Type-0. I remember getting the platinum before I even finished the main story of the game and felt that was super weird.

Well I'm back from my vacation and it's time to do my last few reviews...so with that:

Platinum #190

Screenshot-2023-08-11-145111.jpg

Life is Strange 2

I know that these 'choose your own adventure' story-based games are not everyone's cup of tea, but I've always enjoyed them. I don't usually like games that rely on QTE's for gameplay, but I do appreciate a good story quite a bit. I enjoyed Life is Strange and I also liked Life is Strange: Before the Storm so I had no reason to believe I wouldn't enjoy this game as well. It was nothing that I was in a rush to play, but I tend to get antsy when I get close to a milestone. I'll often play some 'shorter' games once I'm within striking distance of a milestone, and with 9000 fast approaching, it seemed like as good a time as any to add this game to my profile. I think I had gotten it for 'free' as part of PS+ or the PS catalog, so the price was right as well.

Since the game is virtually all story driven, I'm going to keep my review pretty short and straightforward. Gameplay and controls mirror exactly like the previous versions of the game and you do not need to have played the prior games in the series to understand this one. There are some 'Easter Eggs' and some peripheral characters that are mentioned that make more sense if you played the previous entries....but it has absolutely no bearing on the story of this one. This entry follows the story of two brothers, Sean and Daniel. Sean is a pretty typical 16 year old high school student and is the person that you control throughout the game. He loves to draw (which you'll have the opportunity to do throughout the game and there are trophies tied to this) and he is just trying to fit in. His younger brother Daniel is your typical 11 year old little brother. He really looks up to his older brother and just wants to be included.

The story starts in Seattle, and after a disaster strikes, you help guide Sean and Daniel on a trek to Mexico to reconnect with their family. I'm not going to say much more about the story, other than like in the others, one person (Daniel) has a special power and it plays a major role in how the story gets played. You (Sean) have to decide whether to help encourage Daniel using his abilities or to suppress them. You also are the moral compass for Daniel, and your decisions will play a major role on whether Daniel stays grounded or if his power gets to his head.

It is a pretty compelling story and tackles issues of racism, death, abandonment, moral ambiguity, family and many other things. I found the story to be good enough that I enjoyed what it had to say. I'll mention that I played the role of supportive and loving brother throughout. This story suffered from the same thing a lot of these stories suffer from...most of your decisions do not seem to have that big of an impact on the outcome of the game. There are certain major events that happen no matter what you decide to do. While the decisions don't alter the story that much, it does alter how your characters respond to what is happening. I mean there are repercussions to the decisions, but you'll almost always end up in the same place, it just may have more or less people and they may act differently depending on what you chose to do...but you'll always end up in the same spot. 

I find that to be a shortcoming of a lot of these kinds of games as it really takes the urgency/apprehension of making decisions less meaningful and feel less important. That was actually why I enjoyed Detroit: Become Human so much. That story changed completely depending on your choices. You could literally play that game a half-dozen times at least and not see the same thing twice. Your decisions were very impactful and played a major role in the direction the story took. In this game, that is not so...no matter what you decide to do, you'll always end up at the same impasses.

For a free game, I can't really complain at all and it was a good enough story. I got attached to the characters and was invested in what happened to them and at the end of the day, that's all you can really ask for from a story driven game. While nothing I did felt truly impactful, it was interesting enough to see what direction to take. While this game was not a directly related to the previous games, I do wish I had played them consecutively so that I could have understand the Easter Eggs more. As it stood, I forgot about certain connections and characters. Overall, it is worth playing if you enjoy this style of game. If you do not, it wasn't so outstanding that I feel it's worth playing even if you do not generally enjoy these kinds of games. For me though, it was a good experience.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So I got Genshin Impact back up to 100% this week. It's the game I just can't stop playing...partially because they keep releasing more trophies, but mostly because I still enjoy it. I'm at almost 900 hours played and while I find it annoying that there's time gates on stuff...it does make it so that I can comfortably play for 15-20 minutes in a day and feel good about it. I've also played it enough now that I don't really mind if I don't log in for a day to do the daily commissions and use my resin. But now that that's back to 100%, it's time to start cleaning up this messy room I've been living in for a long while now. Some of the mess was the project I was working on, some was keeping my streak alive and some was I just lost interest for a bit in a game or it was too hard an I needed a break. I'm now going to try and finish up at least three of my unfinished games before starting anything new so that I can get my house in order...

My last post I mentioned I would explain the project I was working on. I hadn't spelled it out previously because I didn't want there to be any unintended pressure for an event to occur if the people that had previously ran it decided not to this year. I feel safe to say that it does not appear like it will happen this year, which is totally ok, but now I'm going to pop the games I was saving. The event that I was prepping for was the annual Gaming By Numbers event. It usually last for 2.5-3 months and involves beating 10 games to successfully finish...which is something that can be very challenging for me to do. For those of you that haven't participated in the event before, the premise is that each game page on PSNP has a number attached to it...for example, the PS5 version of Genshin Impact is 'https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/12817-genshin-impact'. The object is to beat a game that ends with each number 0-9. In this case, Genshin would have qualified as my '7' game. Each number represents a different color that would fill in the badge artwork you'd earn at the completion of the event. Each number you finished, was colored in. Any number you didn't finish was left unfilled. A clever play on the paint by numbers art projects. After my mediocre performance in it last year, I thought I'd do something fun over the course of a year to put myself in a position to be able to finish the event on time and do something unique. My plan was to beat the lowest possible game that had an obtainable platinum for each number. These were the games that qualified:

Screenshot-2023-09-01-231830.jpg

Far Cry 2 was the lowest '0' when I had decided to do this project with a game page of 10. I bought the game and literally, the day I installed it to start playing, was the day the servers stopped working, January 16th. If I had decided to start the game a day earlier, I would have had my first unobtainable game on my trophy list. Technically, the game hasn't been announced for a shutdown yet, but the servers have been broken for more than 8 months, so I'm not that hopeful it'll come back up....but for a guy that could technically still achieve a 100% profile, I dodged a bullet. But that's where Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection comes in....it was the new, lowest game number with an achievable platinum ending in '0'. So many of those old PS3 games are either now unobtainable or have no platinum trophy. The actual page numbers for each game are:

Far Cry 2 - 10

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - 60

Ferrari Challenge - 11

Battlefield: Bad Company - 2

Bioshock - 3

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 34

Call of Duty: World at War - 5

Prince of Persia - 26

The Godfather II - 67

Mirror's Edge - 18

Dead Space - 9

I bought every game on that list for my PS3, with the plan of playing them until one trophy from the platinum, until the event started. Normally the event starts sometime between July and September and I don't think that the people who ran that particular event are active on the forums any more. One would think that I might be bummed a bit, but I'm truly not because you know what? Those games up there are almost all really awesome lol I had missed out on them all when they first came out and it was a lot of fun to play the ones I have so far. I'll write about each on more when I do the review for each game, but I have no regrets on doing this, even if it won't work out like I had planned.

Now that the event won't happen, I have the opportunity to do my idiosyncratic thing of trying to beat games so that they appear consecutively on my profile (when possible). I will now be able to beat Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite in order, as well as the Battlefield series (that one will be more of a chore...). Call of Duty: World at War I feel fine popping whenever since I already have those games out of order since I never anticipated liking them in the first place. The only game from that list I may not do is Ferrari Challenge, mostly because I really do not enjoy racing games. I was willing to do it for the event and my project....but it was the game I least wanted to do. I had stalled a bit on my progress for this project when the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series came out since I wanted to play those right away, and then Final Fantasy XVI came out and I had another game that I wanted to play immediately. Worked out in the end though.

I popped Sonic's plat tonight and I'll do the review below, but I'll pop COD and Godfather II in the next couple of days and write my thoughts on those. I need to play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 sooner rather than later since the server closes in December. That game isn't nearly the grind the first one was though, but I'll probably start that one this month to give myself some time. I am almost done with Final Fantasy XVI, however I'm going to wait on finishing that one as a possible 200th plat milestone. I had made a promise that I would make Super Meat Boy my 200th, however I have to be honest with myself that I just might not be good enough to beat that one. I also get very bored, very quickly when I've tried picking it back up the last few years. I'll give it the old college try when I get to 199....but if I decide to punt that game, I'll want FFXVI there as backup.

The only bummer in all of this is that I decided to do this project while I was playing the Demon's Souls remaster on PS5. My original plan last winter was to do all the Soulsbourne games in order. If I had thought of this project idea earlier, I would have held off on playing that game until I was done with this project. Once I finish Battlefield: Bad Company 2, I'll probably shift to the Soulsbourne games. I've wanted to do that one for a while now.

Well, now that I've shared what I was working on, here's the first review:

Platinum #192

1L906df5.png

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

As I mentioned above, this game was not originally on my list. I was honestly a little bummed at the time that this was going to be the replacement for Far Cry 2. I've never played a Far Cry game, but I've heard the series is actually quite fun and I was looking forward to playing that one, even though I was warned that the online grind sucked ass. When that game became unobtainable, I had at least hoped to get a full game as a replacement. Instead, this collection of games was next up. It would have been a better game, if the trophy list wasn't so piss poor.

From a gaming perspective, I was a pretty lucky kid. I had an SNES at my mom's house and my dad, not to be outdone by my mom, had bought me and my brother a Genesis for when we were at his house. I had grown up playing both consoles and getting to experience a lot of great games on both. Shining Force and Warsong were two of my favorite games as a kid, and I was happy to see that Shining Force was a part of this collection. If you are a gamer and a lover of retro games, this is an amazing purchase. It has the Golden Axe games, most of the Sonic games, Phantasy Star games and several other arcade hits (and some stinkers too). If you are a trophy hunter...it's severely lacking...if you are a trophy collector, it's not too bad. Basically the trophy list requires you to play a sampling of the games for a bare minimum amount of time. I think the longest I had to play any one game for the trophy was 30 minutes. Several could be done in just a couple and most somewhere in between.

I get that you can't really have the trophies be for completely beating each game in the collection. I mean Shining Force probably take 30 hours or so on it's own, and getting a bronze trophy for 30 hours of work is a bitter pill to swallow for some. I personally wouldn't have minded it though...but this platinum would be obscenely scarce if that were the case. Even with how easy it is now, it only sits at an 18% platinum completion rate. Having said that though, I would have rather seen the trophies require you to at least play 10% of the game or something. As it stands, each trophy only requires an amuse-bouche of the game before granting you the ding.

Since it's a collection of games, it's hard to give it a real review. Some of the games included are amazing classics, and some of them belong out in the desert with ET...but the game doesn't make you eat your vegetables, you get to give them to Ms. Manners and move on to dessert. I got a little extra use out of the collection since I got to play some of the games a bit with my son. He likes to see the games I played as a kid, plus they are a lot easier for him to control since they are mostly 2D and he has fun with them. He always ends up back playing Minecraft or Don't Starve on the iPad after a while, but I busted out my SNES and we've been playing Link to the Past a bit lately. Oddly enough, my youngest likes playing The 7th Saga, which I loved as a kid, but is waaaaay too hard for him. He's just been putzing around the beginning area fighting birds and demons and seems to enjoy it enough.

To put a bow on this post, there's nothing here with this collection that you can't get with an emulator or Raspberry Pi or something. I guess technically there is since there are some interviews and stuff as a bonus....but if you don't have a PS3 and a copy of the game already, there is absolutely no reason to buy and play this game...unless you're doing something weird like I was, then go nuts lol Of the five games I played for this project, this one was the worst.

• Like 3