Briste's Diary of a Madman

Briste

15 minutes ago, Briste said:

When I said I was getting it, they said it was important to not look anything up. I was expecting soft core kind of stuff and was like, 'sure, no problem'.

You were a little more excited about it than that...

I liked the review. I didn't think you were actually going to play it. One of the unfortunate things for me is that I almost always review a game extensively before I jump into it. Sometime I watch videos about games I think I have no interest in. I think it usually works to my benefit because it means I'm not going to be fooled into playing a bad game, but there are times when I wish certain things weren't spoiled for me. Doki Doki LCP was one of those. I'm not even sure how they market a game like that.

Glad you were able to "enjoy" the experience that I was robbed of.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Briste said:

SPOILERS CONTAINED

Hide contents

I really appreciated the recommendation from my friends and really appreciated them telling me to go in completely blind. I totally judged this book by its cover and I was able to experience the full effects of what the game was trying to do. If I had been spoiled, it wouldn't have been as impactful. Hopefully, if you read all of this, you have already played the game. If you haven't played it yet and got this far, I'm afraid you won't have the same experience I did. I'm sorry for all of the fluff in the first part of this review, but I thought it was important to walk you through the story and my impressions to see just how floored I was by the Sayori hanging scene. A+ from me and so far I'm 2/2 on visual novels since I really enjoyed Steins Gate; as well. I may just have to sprinkle these in a bit more frequently....

I too shall hide my entire reply in a spoiler!

Spoiler

That was one of the most satisfying reviews/recaps of an experience I've read on here! The fact you got to enjoy it as intended by the developers going into completely blind was spectacular. Each moment where the game hits that "oh crap..." spike of "We're not in Kansas anymore and this isn't a cute waifu dating sim" was perfect. I got spoiled of it as once it started to gain traction there was an incessant amount of: "it's not what it seems!!" which in and of itself kinda removes the shock value. Glad to see you loved it and consider yourself very lucky that you got to bask in all its glory organically! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First of all... damn man. Sensational job with the review! I can't imagine how much you had to juggle all of your thoughts on a game that's been a part of your life for so long now. 

7 hours ago, Briste said:

I won't lie, I did it one time and regretted it immediately. I had originally started the game in September last year and took a bit of a break from it to finish up some events and some other games, but came back to it in late December. I had gotten a $100 Visa gift card for Christmas and ended up buying the $99.99 Genesis Crystal package. I got more than 50 wishes since I think the bonus was double the amount instead of the 1,600. I think I got 100 wishes, which guaranteed me at least one five star. 

Huge respect for admitting this aspect. I've only seen the game in a passing fashion while watching one of my fave streamers play it temporarily and it is a bit terrifying how it's so easy to fall into the justification of: "well I know there are whales out there spending thousands of dollars on the game... what's a couple $20's for something I'm enjoying?" 

7 hours ago, Briste said:

I'm going to pause here for a moment to say that I have been extremely lucky with my pulls. I have thirteen five star characters and with three of them, I have pulled multiples of the same character five other times. I also have three five star weapons. So all in all, I have pulled 21 five star characters/weapons. I have played this game virtually every day since the end of December, have 21 five star pulls and consider myself lucky. I've had six of those five star pulls with a pity of 25 or less while the most amount of wishes I've had to pull before a five star was 82. Despite my 'good luck', the system is still extremely predatory and broken.

When you first start the game, you really don't realize that there is a cap on what you can do each day because there is so much to do and explore that it never comes up. But once you finish the storyline and get all caught up, you'll find you can only play for about twenty minutes in a day before you run out of shit to do and then log off. This seems like a stupid concept to me. Why make it so that people have to stop playing your game? I end up playing other things and move on from this game except for that twenty minutes a day.

I found it very noteworthy these two anecdotes you included. Nearly around a year ago today, I wrote little post about my reasons for why I'll actually NEVER play Genshin Impact. One of the biggest reasons being "I don't want the game dictating when I play. I always want to be in control." The "games as a service model" goes directly in contrary to this. They make content exclusive or time limited. You're already invested in the game. You'd have a huge fear of missing out if you don't log on and it's how developers seep their tentacles into becoming an active part of your everyday routine. I'm not saying this like it's criminal or something(though very predatory/problematic as you pointed out is a very worthwhile argument). I just don't like the idea of "having" to get my 20 minutes in everyday due to the way the game is developed.

If I may propose a theory on the latter question you posed, I'd say it's simple. Genshin Impact developers DO NOT want you blowing through all of their content as quickly as possible. They don't want you to binge it. Because if you COULD, you WOULD, but then once you're done... you move on for good. Sure there will be SOME people who come back when a new giant content update drops but it's far more effective to string content along and make it part of a player's routine. Play right before going to bed. Don't forget your daily's. Etc... and that familiarity is part of what makes the game such a money-making machine. It becomes a part of people's lives even more so than the newest Spider-Man game comes out, people play it, love it, but move on as once they've seen the end credits... on to the next game! Genshin Impact is trying to become a forever game and it's definitely working with how much love I continue to see it receive. 

I hope that didn't come across as negative/holier than thou. Based on your review, I'm about 9999% sure that I'd become absolutely obsessed and be all on that wishes, resin, 4 vs. 5 star jazz ?. So thank you for allowing me to get a hit of the narcotic without actually dabbling in it myself :D

EDIT: Since you also love the game as much as you do, may I recommend NeverKnowsBest(YT video game critic) video on it? You can perhaps have it on in the background as a bit of a podcast but I think you'd really enjoy it as having similar backgrounds of not really being anime folk. 

Edited by realm722
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Briste said:

I'm going to pause here for a moment to say that I have been extremely lucky with my pulls. I have thirteen five star characters and with three of them, I have pulled multiples of the same character five other times. I also have three five star weapons. So all in all, I have pulled 21 five star characters/weapons. I have played this game virtually every day since the end of December, have 21 five star pulls and consider myself lucky. I've had six of those five star pulls with a pity of 25 or less while the most amount of wishes I've had to pull before a five star was 82. Despite my 'good luck', the system is still extremely predatory and broken.

Just to further emphasize how extraordinarily lucky this is, I've been playing just as long as Briste (with almost 700 hours of playtime), and I have 14 five stars. I've also only won the 50/50 three times.

22 hours ago, Briste said:

There is no reason why they can't remove characters whose constellations have been maxed out from the pool. I have had this happen to me with Yanfei. I have gotten probably 11 pulls of Yanfei and every time I see her now I get pissed off.

dWLnYTO.png

15 hours ago, realm722 said:

I found it very noteworthy these two anecdotes you included. Nearly around a year ago today, I wrote little post about my reasons for why I'll actually NEVER play Genshin Impact. One of the biggest reasons being "I don't want the game dictating when I play. I always want to be in control." The "games as a service model" goes directly in contrary to this. They make content exclusive or time limited. You're already invested in the game. You'd have a huge fear of missing out if you don't log on and it's how developers seep their tentacles into becoming an active part of your everyday routine. I'm not saying this like it's criminal or something(though very predatory/problematic as you pointed out is a very worthwhile argument). I just don't like the idea of "having" to get my 20 minutes in everyday due to the way the game is developed.

That post is directly responsible for me -- and, by extension, Briste -- playing this game. So, thanks for that.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 8:37 PM, realm722 said:

First of all... damn man. Sensational job with the review! I can't imagine how much you had to juggle all of your thoughts on a game that's been a part of your life for so long now. 

Thanks, it took me a few weeks to actually think about what I might want to say. There is soooo much going on and while I did go quite a bit into the technical side of the game, I hope I explained it well enough that it wasn't that confusing :)

I remember reading that post at the time and since I hadn't really heard of the game yet, I didn't really think much of it. But once it became a larger topic of conversation in my discord chat, I kind of just dove into it without looking at all. I've been doing that a lot lately lol

I know what you're saying with regards to the game 'dictating when I play', however it's not quite that bad in Genshin. I've played MMO's before where the game is literally playing while you are not there and you feel this compulsion to log in and take part of things all the time. There was a time when I was playing FFXI where I was setting my alarm at 4am to get up every 30 minutes for the window pop time of HNM's (High Notorious Monsters) and I would do this every day. These were monsters that dropped the best gear in the game and only appeared once per 21-24 hours and every four days and higher, there was a chance an HQ version of the monster would appear and drop some of the best and rarest gear. The drop rates were trash, but the fights were so rare, you felt you had to be there every night just for that chance.  I would give up shifts at work to make it to events and I used to either skip family gatherings or plan them around longer events that were taking place so I could go. I made a lot of great friends while I was playing, but I was neglecting my life around me. Genshin isn't like that at all really. It's a single player game with online components. When you log off, the game isn't continuing without you. When you log back in, you start exactly where you left off. The events are all pretty lame to be honest and only serve as a means to earn some Primogems to make wishes. I log in to do the dailies since it's a quick twenty minutes to earn 60 Primo's, but I don't really feel like I've 'missed something' if I don't log in. Most days I do log in though since it's wasteful not to use your resin and it's easy Primo's, but it's a very different feel from other MMO's I've played in the past where the game is constantly on your mind. You can comfortably log off of this game and not have that same feeling.

If I may propose a theory on the latter question you posed, I'd say it's simple. Genshin Impact developers DO NOT want you blowing through all of their content as quickly as possible. They don't want you to binge it. Because if you COULD, you WOULD, but then once you're done... you move on for good. Sure there will be SOME people who come back when a new giant content update drops but it's far more effective to string content along and make it part of a player's routine. Play right before going to bed. Don't forget your daily's. Etc... and that familiarity is part of what makes the game such a money-making machine. It becomes a part of people's lives even more so than the newest Spider-Man game comes out, people play it, love it, but move on as once they've seen the end credits... on to the next game! Genshin Impact is trying to become a forever game and it's definitely working with how much love I continue to see it receive. 

I'm sure that is a big reason, but I still feel they'd be more successful letting people binge. Idle hands are the Devil's workshop and if you run out of things to do, people don't just stop playing games and they might find something else they like better. Nothing's changing so it's not like it matters lol I can only speak for myself, but I know I would play this game more if they lifted the limits.

I hope that didn't come across as negative/holier than thou. Based on your review, I'm about 9999% sure that I'd become absolutely obsessed and be all on that wishes, resin, 4 vs. 5 star jazz ?. So thank you for allowing me to get a hit of the narcotic without actually dabbling in it myself :D

Not at all! You know your limits and what's best for your gaming habits and psyche. You are smart enough to know what you should I avoid, just like I am now after my experience with FFXI. I think it's unfortunate that you have to avoid a game that would bring you so much potential joy, but I understand :)

13 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

dWLnYTO.png

You smug bitch.... :P

I have a Lara Croft GO review that I need to write up in the next few days. I just got back the other day from a 10 day trip that we took our kids to Disney World and that was the Vita game I played to keep my trophy streak alive (643 days in a row!). I'll also give my thoughts on Disney World during that review.

• Like 2

Platinum #176

i88gfG8.png

Lara Croft GO

This was a spur of the moment choice that I decided to play a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I had been planning and saving to take our kids to Disney World for almost a year. My kids are 8 and 5 and we felt like this was a good age for the 'magical' trip. They are at an age where things like that are just special. We will probably go one more time when they're like 15 and 12 or something and it's more about the rides...but this trip they were into the characters and the princesses and pretty much everything they have to offer. We were going for ten days and I have a current trophy streak of 644 days. I have no hopes or delusions of ever making headway on the leaderboard, but this is an achievement that I can try to keep myself that is a nice little challenge to keep me interested. Anyways, on the trip, I was going to bring my Vita (since my kids are small and would be in bed by 10:00 most nights) to be able to play for an hour or so at night before bed to try and keep the streak going. I was originally looking for an isometric style, TBS game, however I didn't find anything that wasn't going to require a large time investment. I'm already playing Shiren The Wanderer, however none of those trophies are quick. When I was scanning through the list of Vita games, I paused on this entry since I have already done Hitman GO and enjoyed that game for what it was. If this was anything like it, I knew I'd be able to keep my streak alive while playing a game I might enjoy. Turns out I was right on both fronts.

I was wondering why the completion rate is as high as it is, since it didn't seem like the usual 'EZPZ' game that litters the front of PSNP on a daily basis. I found out pretty quickly why. In Hitman GO, there was a 'hint' option...but if I remember right, it only gave you a hint on your next move (maybe it didn't since there's a trophy for not using a hint so I never tried really). This game has no such trophy and the 'hint' option doesn't give you a hint so much as it just gives you the solution. Not only does it give you the solution, it doesn't let you walk off of the path of the solution. Outside of the collectibles, you never really have to pay attention to the game at all to get through it. It was nice to know that was in my back pocket if I wanted it...I mean I was in Florida to go to Disney, not play games, so having the option to speed things along if needed was nice to have.

Having said that, I did try to do each puzzle on my own. Some of them were very straightforward and not too bad to do, but some of them were very convoluted and I resorted to hints. The game has a chapter select option to be able to easily go back and do the collectibles. Most of the collectibles were pretty easy to spot, but some of the later ones in particular were very well hidden. I tried to find each of the collectibles as I went so that I wouldn't have to do much back tracking. 

The boards are isometric in view and you move one block at a time. There are spiders, lizards and snakes that try to eat you as you go as well as trap boulders and darts from walls. Lara has to try to either avoid these traps or move so that the enemies are in-between her and the trap when they go off. There are movable columns and pitfalls to avoid and there's a decently good variety to the puzzle solutions. Nothing groundbreaking here, just a decent puzzle game with an easy button.

There are only a handful of mechanics and the game does act very similar to the Hitman version. The only real downside to the game was that the loading times were pretty long. Not XCOM 2 long, but long enough. At the end of the day though, it served its purpose and did provide a little bit of fun in the process so I can't really ask for much more considering what I was looking for. It's not a game anyone needs to run out and buy...but if you find yourself in a similar position to me, it's a good choice to casually play something on vacation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #177

e8SbEMc.png

Jurassic World Evolution 2

Jurassic World Evolution was not a game that I had on my radar a few years ago. I was scrolling through a sale and my son, who was a dinosaur nut, saw the logo and was like 'Daddy, can you buy that came to play with me?' I thought it would be a good opportunity to bond together a bit over a game he might enjoy so I did. My son loves building things. He's big into LEGO's and we have magnetiles and blocks all over the place, and I thought he'd have fun helping build a park with me. For the most part, we did have a great time. Most of the game was over his head (and over mine for that matter at first) but we enjoyed building paddocks together and he loved to tell me which dinosaurs should go together. We probably played together for six hours or so and the other hundred hours I did it myself. While it wasn't on my radar, I had a ton of fun with the game and really enjoyed my time with it. It was hard and addicting and a cool concept...plus I don't have a lot of those 'Sim' style games on my profile, so it was somewhat unique for me. I had no idea that there was a second game being made and again, it was not on my radar, but when I saw it as a new release, I pounced on it because my son is a bit older now and I thought we could have fun again together.

My son was super excited when I told him that I had bought this game for us to play and I loaded it up. I started the campaign and we beat the first level together. I let him tell me where I should put stuff and it was a lot of fun. It wasn't hard, but my son got bored pretty quickly. He has the patience of a gnat and just wanted to be able to build a huge park with all the cool dinosaurs, so I switched over to the 'Sandbox' mode. I took all of the difficulty settings off and just let him go to town making a park...however since we had just started the game, not much was unlocked yet to be used. He wanted an Indominous Rex and an Indo Raptor and all of the big name dinosaurs right away. The problem for us was that, it's not unlocked in the Sandbox mode until you unlock it in one of the game modes. We got about two hours of the game done before he lost interest because he didn't want to help with the campaigns.

The game went on the backburner for a bit because I was hoping he'd want to play it again, but he's really into Minecraft and Don't Starve on his iPad and also Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on my Raspberry Pi. Because of this, the game sat untouched for several months. I wasn't sure at first if I had liked the changes that they had made to the game either, so I wasn't in a huge rush to get back to it.

So now that I've given you the backstory into how it found its way into my active game list....how about I talk about the game? So for those of you that don't know, it's a park simulator game. There are four different gaming modes, the campaign, chaos mode, challenge mode and sandbox mode. The campaign is the games attempt at creating a story. They are all quite easy and are pretty good tutorials on how the game will work going forward. Chaos mode thrusts you into a scenario (loosely based around the events that happen in the different movies) and gives you a series of challenges that you must complete in order to complete the level. Challenge mode is to simply create a five star park. There are five areas (in the base game for the platinum) that have varying wrenches thrown at you to make it a challenge. The higher the difficulty, the bigger the wrenches. The final mode is the sandbox mode which is exactly that, a sandbox for you to play around and fiddle with the game pretty much any way you want. It's fun to mess around in there and was helpful for unlocking a few of the trophies in a controlled environment.

The game is very thorough on its demands of what you need to do in order to build a profitable park. You need to build 'Operations' buildings to make sure you have the staff to run a park. That includes a Response Team that has Ranger Jeeps and a Helicopter crew to maintain order with the animals. A Paleo-medical facility to make sure you can cure any diseased dinosaurs or heal their injuries. A staff center, which affects how many scientists you can hire for research, expeditions, hatching, etc. A dig team for finding fossils and extracting the DNA, and a science center for research. In addition to operations, you need to build hatcheries to create the dinosaurs and paddocks for them to roam around in when free. You have different types of Power outputs, whether it is a generator or power plant. There are guest attractions to build that bring in the guests and amenities to build to keep them happy and help make profit while they are there. There's a lot to learn, however a lot of this was carried over from the first installment so playing the first one helped a lot with understanding this one...however they added so much more to pay attention to, yet also made some things so much easier as well.

I'll start with the things they added that are annoying. The biggest change to this installment is the addition of scientists. In the first one, you just did stuff and the scientists were implied as being a part of the process. In this game, you have to actually hire them...and they are not cheap. It might cost you $450k to hire one, and then they have an hourly wage that cuts into your profits continuously. If you hire too many scientists, you could go bankrupt if you aren't bringing in enough money...but you can't do anything without them. There are three categories of stats that they could have, Logistics, Genetics and Welfare. The cap for each is as high as 10 points (unless they have a bonus), however usually a scientist's cap is somewhere between 5-7 points in any category. In addition to having points in these different areas, they each have one specialty about them. They might speed up research time or decrease the cost of an expedition or be altruistic and have a cheaper salary. You can level them up (via research) that will give you more points to put into a category, but that costs money and also raises their hourly wage.

Generally, you need logistics for all research and digs, genetics for some research, DNA extraction and egg synthesis and Welfare for some research healing dinosaurs and hatching eggs. Everything has a monetary cost and everything has a minimum number of points you need in order to research. For example, researching a small power plant costs $500k and you need at least 5 points in logistics to research. You can have up to three scientists involved in any one research (unless you pay for an upgrade that you also must first research). If you have a scientist with 5 points in logistics, it takes only that one to research the item. If you don't, you might need to use a scientist with 4 in logistics and another with 2. Any amount of points you have higher than the requirement will speed up the time it takes to complete.

That's a basic explanation on it, but the higher/better the research item, the bigger the cost and requirements. If your scientists do not have enough points in the required area, you cannot research it until you either level up your scientists enough to where you can (which also requires its own research and money) or you fire your scientists and hire others that do. There's an extra wrinkle with these scientists as well. Every time you have them do a task, they get a bar of fatigue. Most of the scientist have like 7 bars of fatigue, meaning you can use them 7 times before they need to rest. You can't use them if their fatigue bar is maxed and they can't rest unless you have a staff center. If you forget to research a staff center and your scientists are fatigued, you better hope you have enough money to fire one and hire another new scientist or else you need to restart. Letting them rest costs $125k and also takes like 3 minutes of time (researched upgrades can lower both of those figures). While I can appreciate what they were trying to do here, managing the scientists is just a major pain in the ass. Why it costs so much money for them not to do anything is beyond me. There is no logical explanation that can be provided to me why it costs $125k to let them take a break.

The scientists is a big change, and to me, mostly negative. Almost all of the other changes though are an improvement. The biggest of these improvements is how they handled herbivore food. In the first game, you had to build feeders that needed to be refilled, which cost money and didn't make a ton of sense. In this game, herbivores eat what is in their environment. You plant fruits, leaf, nuts or fiber and so long as you have enough of their food growing in their paddock, you never have to worry about feeding them. This is a major improvement. It's really easy to do as well. You can click on a dinosaur and it'll tell you it's comfort level and what it needs to be more comfortable. Does it need more water? Put a man-made lake into the paddock. Do they prefer to live in the forest? Put a bunch of trees in there until they are happy. Is it missing fiber, add plants high in fiber for them to eat. I like this change a lot and was a huge quality of life improvement. 

Another big improvement was the addition of the 'Ranger Station'. You can build one of these in a paddock and if you click on it, it will show you how much area it covers. You can then assign a Jeep, Helicopter and Medical Truck to it and the assigned vehicles will monitor the dinosaurs within its range on their own. If a dinosaur is sick, the Medical Truck will automatically go out to diagnose. When dinosaurs need status checks, the Jeep automatically embarks and if that Jeep is under attack, the helicopter will automatically go out and tranquilize the offending dinosaur. It helped a ton take the focus of the game away from micromanaging the vehicles and into growing your park. This was another awesome quality of life change to the game.

The biggest game breaking change was the addition of a pause button. Part of what made the first one so hard, is that the game kept moving...always moving. If a storm came and dinosaurs escaped, you'd spend 10 minutes tracking things down and putting them back and it was so hard to keep up with at times. In this game, if a storm comes, you can hit pause and time will stop. You can then open all the shelters, close all of your amenities (you lose a TON of money if you keep them open during a storm), and once you are ready, hit pause again to get time moving. In addition to pausing, you can also speed up the time by up to 3 times, which was also nice. I would generally pause the moment there was a storm, then get my park prepared, then have the storm move through at 3 times speed and pause again if there was any damage so I could get my ranger teams out to fix, then move time again and once the storm was over, pause the game and reopen all of the things I closed. It takes all of the stress out of these moments. I'd also pause a lot when I had learned new research or when I was checking the different 'birds eye' view of things. There's a menu where you can view your park and see where people are overcrowded or missing restrooms or shelter or amenities and it was extremely helpful in figuring out what needed to be build and where. The addition of this pause button made this game sooooooo much easier than the first and a much more relaxing experience.

The only real downside I found to this game was how formulaic it tended to be and how expensive it made things, which in turn meant you didn't use a lot of the things. Basically, to maximize profits, you build a paddock and a hotel next to it with a viewing gallery. Then you build a restroom, a shelter and one of each of the amenities (food, drink, shopping). Add dinosaurs to the paddock to improve the appeal and get people there, then make a new paddock and rinse repeat. As you get further from the entrance of the park, add a monorail to improve transportation, if there's a crowded area, widen the path. There's not a ton of incentive to spice it up more than that. I never needed to research anything passed the basic fence. I never had to research any power options past a small power plant. It just wasn't necessary at all.

The other problem is how outrageously expensive things are. It costs like $2M to research T Rex, and then it's like $2M more to send out a dig team, which you need to do several times before you get the genome to 100% (you can synthesize at 50% but the fail rate is high). Then you need to spend $1M to synthesize the egg and then like $2M per egg to fertilize. It costs like $15M to get a T Rex in your park. When doing the challenges on Jurassic difficulty, no way in hell are you going to make enough money to make that worthwhile. You pretty much use the same handful of dinosaurs every map. I didn't make one hybrid, T Rex or Spinosaurus in any of the challenge maps. I only made a Lagoon or Aviary for the novelty of it since the cost of setting one up was so expensive, most of the time your resources were better spent on other things. The only time I got to see them in this game was in the sandbox or during the campaign. It was kind of a bummer that they had over 100 different dinosaur species and you get stuck only able to afford about 20 of them in any one scenario. I didn't even make a Stegosaurus or Triceratops. I got to use the 'lesser' versions of those dinosaurs, but if you want to get a 5 star park, you really can't spend much time trying to get the cool dinosaurs. By the time you have enough money for one, your dinosaurs will die from old age....literally.

The trophy list isn't too bad. The 100% database was the hardest trophy to get since it isn't clear how all of the diseases/injuries get unlocked and you have to actively try to get a couple. The hardest one I had to get was for 'ingrown claw'. In order to get this injury, you have to get a dinosaur that has a broken claw and not heal it. They get a broken claw by fighting or attacking a fence. Sometimes it will turn into an ingrown claw. Well I spent three hours trying to get this one before I realized I was sabotaging myself by having my medical truck assigned to the ranger posts because they were healing the broken claw. Then I must've gotten a broken claw ten times before one turned into an ingrown claw. I ended up forcing the issue by making a very small paddock with the strongest fence and loading it with Coelophysis (small carnivore). They were too small to break the wall and they were uncomfortable enough to keep trying. I had like 30 of them in this small zone and after about 15 minutes, I finally had a broken claw turn into an ingrown claw. All the rest of the diseases and injuries happened naturally for me.

The trophies for beating the challenges on Jurassic Difficulty were also quite easy due to that pause button. I beat each map in six hours or less and the par time on Jurassic Difficulty was over ten hours for each. Once you get a hang of what is needed to get a five star park, it is super easy to do. I didn't mention some of the nuance involved with amenities and how there are different types of guests that come to your park and how attractions can lure different types. I didn't mention it since while it is a thing, it's not something I really paid much attention to other than making sure my amenities made happy the type of guest that was visiting it (you do that by offering different food/drink/shopping item targeted towards certain guests). If you have attractions that make 'adventure guests' happy, but only 'luxury guests' are visiting that amenity, well you'll probably lose money. Selling the right good or having the right attractions present means big money.

I liked this game very much. While I found the scientists to be a pain in the ass, especially in the beginning, once you get the formula down for making a profitable park, even the scientists became pretty easy to manage. If you like park builder games, I would recommend this one since it brings something a little different to the table. It's not a perfect game, but once I got back into it, I had a hard time stopping each night. I kept on wanting to just finish this one last thing before bed, not wanting to lose my train of thought. It was addicting and fun and if you can get it for $20, you will have many hours of enjoyment.

I finished another game today in Stray, but I'll write about that one another day.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I started this review back in September and then just kind of left it...It's been crazy busy at work and I've been saving all my free time to play my games. I've had a bit of a mid-life gaming crisis at the same time. I had been all about this streak of mine for two years and I found that trying to keep it going had made me break a lot of my gaming habits that were formed from me simply enjoying the games I play and doing it the way I want to. My streak was two years in mid-November and I let it lapse on the two year anniversary. it's been about 6 weeks since I let it expire and I feel great about it. I'm no longer stressing about what game I need to play or stopping at a certain point so I have a 'gimme' trophy on a day I need one. 

I have a mini-project I'm working on in advance of an event that I hope happens again next year. I won't say anything specific now, but my goal is somewhat lofty and ridiculous, but I think it would be cool if I can get it done.  If the event doesn't happen, I'll probably just post my results on my own. My short term goals will involve finishing up my incomplete games on my list. There are a few I'm not looking forward to, but I want to get back to doing what I loved about trophy hunting, which was to finish every game I start. I had planned on doing the Soulsbourne series this winter (as you can see by the Demon's Souls game sitting one trophy from the plat), but I'm going to put that on ice until I get my unfinished games back down to something I'll be happier with.

What have I been doing with myself since my last update in September? Playing a lot of Shiren the Wanderer on my Vita. I can smell the platinum right now and everything hard has been done....just some grindy stuff left to do and I'll be done. I could be anywhere from 5-20 hours away from completion. I'm up to about 350 hours in it so far and I'd say about 250 hours of that has been since September. 95% of my time on PSNP is done on my phone, where I'll usually read threads and give the ole heart to my favorite posts...but I only post from my desktop. While I don't consider myself 'old' per say....if you saw me try to type on my phone, you'd think I'd never picked one up before. I can type 80-100wpm on a keyboard and that dips down to about 5 wpm on a phone. Needless to say, I'm not terribly active on the forums when I'm on my phone. Time I would have been on my desktop being active here has been spent with my Vita. With Shiren almost done, I would think I'd be much better about updating my progress here....in addition to the many events I try to participate in.

Anyway....

Platinum #178

MaNxMSR.png

Stray

I'll start off by saying I don't have the same infatuation with cats that a lot of people seem to. I don't dislike them, but I also don't feel the need to run up and pet every animal I see either. I'm allergic to pet dander so never really had any pets growing up, so never developed that 'fur baby' mentality that a lot of people have. I like other people's pets, but don't need one of my own. Having said all that...I'm not a monster lol I like a cute cat video as much as the next person but I'm sure my allergies and not having any pets growing up has made me a bit more apathetic towards the pet-life than if my situation were different. I got this game because it was free at the time, it seemed somewhat unique, and I thought it was a cat sim game to be honest. I thought it'd be fun to do some evil cat shit and push other cats down a flight of attic stairs or chase after a red laser dot or something. Plus, it looked like a short enough game that I could casually play to get some quick trophies to keep my streak alive. Needless to say, I didn't exactly get what I thought I was lol...

As I mentioned, I thought this was going to be a Cat Sim game, maybe not as goofy as Goat Simulator, but not far off either. I wasn't expecting there to be much of a story and was somewhat surprised that there is a story and that it's actually not as shallow as you would think. It's fairly original and takes place in a post apocalyptic world. Emotions ran higher than I would have expected from a cat game....but robots are our friends and little gelatin-like parasites are out to get us. The game starts with you falling from the 'outside world' into this dystopian city and you are trying to get out to get back to your family. Along the way you make some friends and help them out. The game is pretty linear, but has an open world feel to it in some of the areas. You can run, jump and meow. Those are your tools against the forces of evil...until you find a flashlight...then you're a badass and microwave explode the little shits. The controls are decent...there is some drag when you're trying to turn at times and it can be slightly frustrating when going for the Can't Cat-ch Me trophy where you have to run through a parasite infested zone without any of them latching onto you. There seems like hundreds during that sequence and they are yeeting themselves at you from every direction. In general, running in a zig-zaggy way seems to throw off most of them, but if that's all you do, you won't get through the area unscathed. It probably took me 45 minutes to an hour to get that trophy. I never really got frustrated since the whole sequence is only a couple minutes long, but there were a couple really tricky spots that took a bit of luck to get through.

The graphics were quite good. There was a lot of detail in the city and the lighting in the sewer areas was pretty well done. It was colorful, but you could definitely tell you were in an apocalyptic world. I can't recall any puzzle being that hard to figure out. Finding some of the music sheets were a bit out of the way, but the scratching posts and memories weren't usually too far off the beaten path. Outside of that one trophy, the rest of the list was pretty straightforward. I cut the speed run pretty close clocking in at an hour and 55 minutes. I thought I went pretty quickly through most of the areas, but I think the game can be done in about an hour and 40 or so, so I must've taken the long way around on more than one occasion.

For an indie game, it was extremely well done. They took the time to flesh out the story, tighten the graphics and make a pretty enjoyable gaming experience. I beat the game in like 10 hours or so, so it's a game you can do pretty quickly. It's not the best game I've every played, but if you didn't know it was an indie game, you probably wouldn't think it is since there were really no rough edges to be found with this one. I enjoyed my time with it and it was definitely worth the price I paid :) If you haven't played it yet, it's worth giving a shot.

Since my last post, I've beaten two other games completely that I'll need to review and I've gotten two other games a minute away from the plat that I'm saving to pop later. I'll probably write the reviews on those two ahead of time since I'm not sure when I'll finish them and I want to give them a fair review and write about them while they're fresh in my brain. I hope everyone has had a great holiday season and I hope you have a happy and safe New Years!

Edited by Briste
  • Like 4

My next game review is a game with no Plat.

4E5f5hV.png

Guns Up!

Apparently this game has been around for a while and is another one you can add to my pile of games I'd never heard of. I learned of this game quite accidentally and it was pretty fortuitous. I saw a thread on the the main page of PSNP that mentioned the servers were closing in April and that anyone who had an account prior to the end of October would get 50k free gold to use in the game. When I see that a game server is closing, I usually take a peek to see if it something I would like to play before it is gone forever. I played Mad Max for that reason and enjoyed that game quite a bit. When I saw this game, it reminded me a bit of Clash of Clans that I played on my phone, except it was a side scroller. The concept is the same though, you build a base to defend your fort and you use troops to assault others. I enjoy games like this quite a bit and decided to pick it up and start playing. I figured the 50k gold would speed up the process, but I had 6 months to beat it in any scenario, so I wasn't very worried.

Turns out that the headline was a bit misleading. What the promotion actually was, was that anyone who had an account before they made that announcement, would get 50k gold before the end of October. Me, and several others I'm sure, were duped by the misleading headline and started playing the game expecting the 50k gold to come. It never did. The good news is that it didn't really matter that much. I think the game was much harder for me and those that didn't receive the gold, who were just starting out, because EVERYONE had stacked soldiers from being able to buy card packs with the Gold. I swear to Jeebus, that virtually every base I assault has Commando's (think Jesse Ventura in Predator with a mini gun) or Bombardiers, who just spam grenades at you. There are some bases that you just can't beat without 'Hero' characters. While the game was harder without the gold, it is still very doable.

So I haven't really said anything about the game yet other than it feels like COC and that there was a gold giveaway I didn't qualify for. What is the game though...it's a side scrolling real-time strategy game. You utilize troops with different strengths, that you can further enhance with perks and helmets, to assault other bases to earn 'Dog Tags' and other rewards like cards. I don't think the the Dog Tags do anything other than serve as trophies for how well you're doing. You can earn alliance battles by getting some during an alliance war season, but other than that, they seem to be mostly used for daily/weekly/monthly rankings. 

You start with some basic troops and can unlock more by leveling up. You can use Munitions (in game currency used for upgrading), Gold (you can buy this with real money but not anymore since they announced the closure), card packs or battle rewards to unlock new troops. They are rare from battle rewards. You mostly earn attack cards, perks and munitions from battle rewards, but you can occasionally earn structures for your base, dynamite (to clear your base debris from your base), Valor (to unlock more troop perk slots), Gold (used to purchase card packs and unlock soldiers) or Build Points (used to expand your home base). Attack cards are used during an assault to give your team a short advantage. It could be a missile strike, tear gas, a decoy, health boost and several other things. The basic soldiers are Grunts, Assaults, Grenadiers, Medics and Engineers (you might unlock those last two early in leveling). They are cheap to use in battle, but they are not terribly powerful either. You will mostly be using Grunts as you get five of them to spawn each time you select them for the least amount of munitions.

I feel like this is getting confusing....I made a brief video for the thread I mentioned above because people were having trouble beating other bases and I discussed my strategy. I'll put that here too so you can get a quick look at what the game is like:

So basically the job of the defense is to use the terrain and setup their structures in a way to prevent you from destroying the base and as the attacker you want to kill it. Very straightforward.

The game was not very hard at all to 100%. I finished it in just over a week. Alliance battles happen every couple of weeks, so that one is common enough. The scariest trophy is the one for getting a Legend card as a reward from a battle or card pack. You don't get any Legend card packs unless you have 900 gold to spend or are in an alliance that qualifies for one. I got my Legend card as a reward from a battle, and it wasn't until about my 250th battle that that happened...so it is quite rare. The rest of the trophies though aren't too bad...it takes a little planning for the 'Well Rounded' trophy for spawning five different veterans in one battle...but you can slowly work towards that. You soldiers earn XP during battle, and if they earn enough and survive the fight, they can be upgraded to a one star veteran (boosting stats). They can earn enough to get up to a three star veteran. You can carry over a set amount of Veterans (this amount changes the higher level you are). I only use them for defense for the most part...but for this particular trophy, you need to spawn a veteran from five different classes during a battle. I just used different soldier types until I got five of them saved up and then just spawned them all towards the end of a fight so I didn't lose them and the trophy popped. The grindiest trophy was probably for getting a level 7 wall. It costs like 300k munitions and you don't get them that fast in the game. Plus you want to use your munitions to level up your base and unlock new soldiers, so it's hard to save up that much....but this is another one that just takes a little time.

I very much like this game and have continued to play it every day since I started. I'm a bit bummed it'll be shutting down in April, but I'm happy I've gotten to play it this much since it is a genre I do enjoy quite a bit. If you do too, you should definitely give it a try. I'd be happy to friend anyone to help them get the friend trophy and you have more than enough time to get the rest. My next review will come some time in the next few days and will be for the new(er) Gotham Knights game that came out. Happy hunting all!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #179

jdyQmZu.png

Gotham Knights

This is a new game so I'll keep this spoiler free beyond the intro/tagline. I had pre-ordered this game because I was really excited about the prospect of another Arkham style Batman game. Arkham City was my first ever platinum and it's the only series I've played all the games for, including all the versions. I absolutely love the series and have loved each and every playthrough I've done. As a kid, I was lukewarm towards Batman and was always more of a Spider-Man fan. I enjoyed both animated series, and the Michael Keaton Batman movie was amazing. The next few that came out kind of turned me off a bit to Batman, but the Christopher Nolan Trilogy brought me right back into the Batman fold, and the Arkham series games helped make Batman my favorite super hero. As I mentioned, I was initially very excited when I heard about this game...and then I heard that it was going to be a Batman game without Batman since he is dead for this one. That made me a bit nervous, but I figured it'd be fun to play an Arkham game with the Bat Family as well, so decided to keep my pre-order.

The opening of the game is about a 15 minute cutscene that shows you the sequence of events that lead to Batman's demise and the game starts off with you picking which of the Bat Family you want to play as. The choices are Batgirl, Nightwing, Robin and Red Hood. I decided to play as Babs since one of her abilities is to not be detected by cameras. Since I enjoy playing stealthily, I thought that would match my playstyle the most. I also figured her combat would probably more closely resemble Batman that the others. The opening sequence is cool, but I'll say it was quite jarring to hear someone other than Kevin Conroy voice Batman. Well, let me say it was jarring to have someone who sounds so different to Conroy voice Batman. I felt like Roger Craig Smith, who did Arkham Origins, was close enough that it didn't feel that off. Michael Antonakos does the voice acting in this game and his voice is incredibly deep and very different and was extremely noticeable. He didn't do a bad job, but it didn't sound like Batman. I was incredibly sad when I heard that Kevin Conroy had passed away shortly after this game came out. He was the voice of Batman and extremely good at what he did.

I feel like now is a good time to say that this game is the textbook definition of mediocre and it could/should have been great. What this game did well was the graphics and the city of Gotham. It is wide open with a ton of detail and it doesn't look like any expense was spared when creating this game. The handling on the Bat Cycle wasn't too bad but unfortunately, that's the last of the good things I have to say about this game. Nothing is bad, but nothing is good either. The biggest sin that this game has, by far, is the combat. I don't understand how you fuck that one up in this series...the thing that made those Arkham games so iconic (well was several things but...) was the combat. I can only speak from the perspective of Batgirl since I didn't play with any of the other characters, but I hope you didn't like countering in the other games, because it is gone in this game. The combat moved away from the perfected Arkham free flow style to something closer to the Spider-Man game's method of combat that relies on dodging and agility in lieu of countering and brute strength. You have to relearn the combat and it is just not as smooth or well done. Gone are the gadgets, replaced with Momentum Abilities. The abilities are fine, but aren't as fluid in battle. The game is much more button mashing in this than in the previous games and it was my biggest disappointment in this game by a landslide. Once I got the hang of the combat it was a bit better....but it was no longer great.

The story is kind of meh also. With Batman dead, there's a power struggle that ensues between some criminal factions and it's the Bat Family's job to step in and subdue the chaos. I found it to be very predictable and several of the 'big reveals' were not as surprising to me as I think they were supposed to be. The voice actors are also fine, but the script is pretty camp-y. Most of the cutscenes end with someone saying something inspiring and then they stand there awkwardly while the camera zooms out and fades away. A lot of head nodding as the camera zooms out too. It was just kind of lazy. There was no darkness or edginess to it like there were in the other games of the series. 

While the script felt lazy, I thought how they had the story play out was even lazier. As I mentioned, I only used Babs even though there were four to choose from. Nothing stopped me from switching at any point, but I just started with Babs, stuck with Babs and had no reason or motivation to try anyone other than Babs. This was a huge missed opportunity here. They should have interwoven some sort of story for each into the main story where you had to play as each for a while. They could have done something like Final Fantasy VI when Sabin is knocked off the raft and floats down the river and you're introduced to Cyan and Shadow, while Locke has to go to South Figaro to try and sabotage the Empire from advancing to Narshe and meets Celes, while Edgar and Terra go to Narshe to get the help of the Returners against the empire. In that game, you can pick to do any of the three in any order, but you must do all three to advance the story. That is my favorite game of all time and it's because they did stuff like that to really flesh out the story. If that was too much for Gotham Knights, they could have done what Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep did by having all the characters have a different story happening at the same time and you had to play as all three to get the full story. That did not happen here. I think the story is basically the same for any of the four except maybe some dialogue so there is really no reason to have all four at all.

What they should have done is have different events within the story where you had to go as Red Hood to do something, while at the same time Robin is off doing X and Nightwing is doing Y, while Babs does Z. You'd have to complete all four events as a team for the story to progress. That would have made the characters you aren't using as your main, at least feel a little relevant. In this game, they're basically on comms the whole time and contribute nothing to what you're doing. It seems like a wasted opportunity and the game wasn't good enough for me to playthrough four times to see what the differences could be.

I will say this for them, when someone had an idea...they did the shit out of it. Didn't even have to be a good idea, just an idea, and you'd have to do it hundreds of times. Similar to Spider-Man having crimes that you had to do, Gotham Knights has the same thing. You have to prevent 250 crimes for a trophy. None of them are hard, but there's like six variations and it's the same shit over and over and over and over....It's got your usual collectibles like finding batarangs scattered throughout the city and different street art and some other stuff. There's a couple side missions that involve fighting some peripheral bad guys, not in the main story. But basically the day time in the game is a cutscene advancing the story or allowing you to upgrade/train at the base, and the nights are preventing crimes and doing fetch quests to advance the story. It is a formula that has been done a thousand times and this game truly doesn't bring anything new to the table.

The DLC they added didn't bring anything new to the table either. The trophies require you to beat 'hard versions' of the side-bosses from the main game, but they did the annoying thing that these games do to make the bosses 'harder'....they made it have a million hit points. Your 'power level' goes up as you get better gear and better mods to add to the gear, and each boss has a 'recommended power level' you should be before fighting them...but if you have patience, you can ignore that. The first one of those I did, I was like 3000 power under the recommended level and beat it easily....it took me 27 minutes since I wasn't doing more than 500 damage and he had like 1.2 million HP, but I was able to do it. I decided to level up my power after that fight since I didn't want to spend 30-45 minutes each fight. I decided to do the Heroic Assault part of the DLC first and holy shit is that repetitive. You have to beat 30 floors of battles for this trophy. Each floor has three sections before it is beaten and I think there's only like 5 different things it can be. Either defend a console, beat some faction leaders, survive four waves of bad guys, escort a laser gun or fix some consoles to unlock some doors. It is brutally repetitive, but you can play with three other people. It doesn't make things any easier really (except for a couple of the escort levels and the very last level). The best way to get through these is to put the difficulty to very easy and then just watch TV or something while you go through this mind numbing addition.

This game's biggest problem is the fact that it was following in the footsteps of some masterfully done games. If you weren't comparing this game to the others in the series, it'd probably be fine...but the problem is you are. They took the best part of the previous entries and changed it and then didn't do anything new or make anything better. The game runs fine, I had no crashes and everything popped when it should have...but there was nothing memorable at all either. If you get this game as a gift, or it ends up 'free' on PS+ some day, and you have a craving for some Batman-like gameplay....you could play this one...but under no circumstances can I recommend you pay full price for this. Everything this game is has been done before and probably a lot better.

On my other gaming front. I'm a few hours away from getting the Plat for the behemoth that is Shiren The Wanderer. I've also gotten Call of Duty: World at War one trophy away from the platinum. I'm saving this one for a project I'm working on. I'm going to re-100% Jurassic World Evo 2 since they added DLC since I beat it a few months ago. Once I'm done with that...my next game will be Farcry 2, which according to my friends, makes me nuts. I have my reasons and we'll see how it goes. What I've learned recently is that I really enjoy these old PS3 games. Bioshock was more fun than I expected and I also had quite a bit of fun with WaW. I run the risk of this game becoming my first true 'unobtainable' if the servers shit the bed in the next few months....but I'm willing to roll the dice for now. Hope everyone is doing well!

• Like 4

I appreciate the write-up for Shiren. There is a very passionate cult for the game online, but not a lot out there in regards to the trophy experience, so this has been pretty useful. I've played and made a guide for a game that takes direct influence from Shiren, so I have experience with quite a few of the game mechanics you went over: taking turns, using staves, identifying items through scrolls or use, and -- of course -- lots of save scumming, lol. I'm not currently mentally prepared, but Shiren is on the "someday" list for me, and I am interested. It's nice to know what some of the tougher parts of the game are like.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:40 AM, AihaLoveleaf said:

I appreciate the write-up for Shiren. There is a very passionate cult for the game online, but not a lot out there in regards to the trophy experience, so this has been pretty useful. I've played and made a guide for a game that takes direct influence from Shiren, so I have experience with quite a few of the game mechanics you went over: taking turns, using staves, identifying items through scrolls or use, and -- of course -- lots of save scumming, lol. I'm not currently mentally prepared, but Shiren is on the "someday" list for me, and I am interested. It's nice to know what some of the tougher parts of the game are like.

Thanks! I did notice that there were some very passionate players of the series. You can tell with how thorough that wiki page I linked is.

If you have experience with those types of mechanics already, you might have an easier go of it than I did. I didn't even really start using a lot of the mechanics until I had already cleared half of the dungeons. I couldn't find a great explanation on how the Synthesis worked, so for most of my early playtime, I didn't upgrade my weapons/shields at all, which made things a lot harder than it had to be. Once I learned how it worked, I had a better time of things. The cool thing is a lot of the enemies have some little quirk that you can possibly exploit to help make your trek easier. I didn't need a lot of them since I wasn't afraid to savescum....but to beat it legitimately, I'm sure you'd have to be a master of all of them.

I hope you end up trying it because it is a really fun game :) If you do and have any questions, feel free to stop back in here and talk it through! Good luck!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Platinum #181

hOCzj5b.png

Walden, a game

It's been a minute since my last completed game. As I've mentioned before, I have a little project I'm working on in anticipation of a potential future event. I've been playing these games and am about two minutes from the Platinum in four of them. I'm one upgraded weapon away from the Bioshock platinum, with a save right in front of the last upgrade station. I'm one collectible in Call of Duty: World at War away from the platinum with that one collectible being at the start of the level. I'm one cracked safe away from the platinum in Godfather II with a save at the nearest safehouse and I'm a 'viewing the trophy art' trophy away from the platinum in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I've also made good progress in Battlefield: Bad Company, but the 10,002 online kills trophy is probably going to take me several months to achieve. So even though I don't have a ton of completed games recently, I have been making some good progress. Since I'm not sure when I'll be completing these games, I've been writing my reviews about them and saving them to a Word doc so that I'm giving them a fair review at the time they are completed. Walden, a game was me taking a break from these more grindy games to play something a bit more laid back and relaxing...and what could be more relaxing than spending a year by Walden Pond fishing and taking in nature?

One look at the trophy list should have clued me in that this wouldn't be quite as laid back as I was thinking. There is one pretty mindless, grindy trophy and several of them didn't pop when they were supposed to. In all honesty, I probably would have never played this game if left to me own devices. My friends @Jens and @eigen-space wrote a very nice guide for the game and since they seemed to enjoy it enough to write the guide, I thought I'd give it a go. To their credit, the guide is quite comprehensive for what you need to do to get the platinum and I found their recommendation of doing two playthroughs to be the best approach. 

For those of you that do not know, Walden Pond is a pond in Concord, MA (slightly northwest of Boston) where Henry David Thoreau decided to live on his own for a year back in 1854, and he wrote a book about the experience titled Walden. Thoreau was a 'Transcendentalist', which is the belief that people are inherently good and that society and its institutions are responsible for their corruption. My biggest memory from learning about him in high school was that he went to jail for refusing to pay his taxes to support a war he did not believe in. That is a very 10,000 foot view on it, but Thoreau decided to test this theory by withdrawing from society and living on his own out in the woods to see if he could, not only survive, but thrive on his own. This game was developed by USC Game Innovations Lab and is, by and large, an educational game. At its core, it's supposed to be a survival game, but I don't think you can actually die in this game, just lose inspiration.

In this game, you play the role of Thoreau and the game begins in the summer. You are placed by his unfinished cabin, and are left to your own devices on how you wish to proceed. The goal is to survive an entire year in your cabin. There are several seasons that you must make it through, starting with early summer, then late summer, early fall, late fall, early winter, midwinter, late winter and finally spring. Each season lasts three in-game days and each day lasts about 15 minutes. Based on this, you can see one playthrough is roughly 6.5-7 hours. The basic tenant of the game is to forage enough food, gather enough fuel (wood), keep your clothes from falling off your body and keep your cabin from falling down. If you can do all of those things, you'll make it through. There is generally plenty of ways to stay alive. You can fix your clothes, chop wood and fix your cabin right at the cabin. You can forage for berries almost year round just outside the cabin as well. It really isn't that hard to do. The 'gimmick' in this game involves trying to 'find inspiration' while you are roaming around the pond. You'll find as you're playing, that the more inspiration you have, the more vivid the colors of the game are. While the graphics aren't 'amazing', they are decent enough that you can really notice when you are missing inspiration. You primarily gain inspiration by reading books and examining nature (you can zoom in on things in the game). As you find new items, you'll jot them down in your notebook and gain inspiration. In addition to finding new things in nature, you can also find arrowheads laying around. You primarily lose inspiration by not soaking in nature and by becoming fatigued from doing tasks. If you get too fatigued, you'll collapse and when you awake, are completely out of inspiration.

I'm pretty sure the arrowheads are excerpts of Thoreau's writings. You'll find that these arrowheads will give you clues on his beliefs as a Transcendentalist as well as a slight clues on maybe what you need to be doing. You'll also find that the phrases that are said when you find an arrowhead, end up being scrawled in your notebook. The side quests or tasks that you need to do, are learned about from the letters you receive at your cabin, conversations with your good friend Emerson, mail you receive at the post office in the city of Concord or fliers located on the wall of that same post office. There is a trophy called Hermit, which requires you to complete the game once without ever going into town.  This playthrough is exceptionally boring. There is not much to do in the game beyond foraging, chopping wood, fixing your house and mending your clothes without going into town. There are a few letters that you receive that let you know of potential side quests to do...but every one of them, except finding Emerson's books, requires at least one trip into town, so you can't really do anything during this playthrough. My recommendation for this playthrough is to just jog all over the place. The trophy Sojourner requires you to walk for 50 miles. You absolutely will not do that in one playthrough and I didn't get that trophy to pop until the end of my third playthrough. I basically just spent that playthrough jogging from your Cabin to Emerson's house and back. You run out of energy just outside of Emerson's house if you run there all the way from the cabin. He has a fireplace, which is important, because Thoreau regains his stamina by staring at a fire...you can then turn around and run back to your cabin and stare at your fire....and just do that over and over only stopping to replenish food/fuel as needed. The Saunterer trophy for walking 20 miles, popped just before the end of my first year at Walden Pond.

The bummer about this trophy is that there is no tracker that lets you know how far you've walked. You just have to hope that the trophy isn't bugged and keep walking. I was convinced that the trophy was bugged since I felt like I ran several marathons that first year at Walden and the 20 mile trophy only popped at the very end. I spent the entire winter ice skating back and forth between two fires on the pond (ice skating is faster walking in this game) and it still took a full year for the 20 mile trophy. I was curious, since I was nervous it wasn't counting my miles, how big Walden Pond is...I Googled it and it says it is 1.7 miles to walk around...so you have to walk all the way around the pond just under 30 times to hit 50 miles. If all you do is walk around the pond, you can make it all the way around one time per day. You won't need to do that since you have a lot of walking to do in your second playthrough...but I thought it was worth noting. Another trophy is called Townie and that is for spending an hour of real time in town. I spent my time in town running laps around it trying to kill two birds with one stone. If you can't tell already...the stupid walking trophy is in the back of your head the whole time as a trophy hunter. I'm pretty sure that they have distance being extremely accurate and you legit have to walk 50 miles. 

As I mentioned, I ended up doing three playthroughs. Not by choice either mind you. On my second playthrough, I ran into a couple of glitched trophies. There is a trophy called Surveyor  for doing surveying jobs around Walden Pond. You get the job by visiting the post office and reading a flyer that is pinned to the wall. The flyer is up there from the beginning of the game and I started doing the jobs the moment they became available. Once you finish one surveying job, you can revisit the post office to find the next request. I believe there are eight in all. Once I finished the eighth job, the trophy should have popped but didn't. I believe in late fall, you receive a letter from Emerson letting you know that there are surveying jobs available. I'm pretty sure that you glitch out the trophy if you start the surveying jobs before Emerson tells you about them. I was frustrated it didn't pop, but continued on with my second playthrough to finish up the Abolitionist trophy for helping slaves escape the US. Frustratingly enough, this trophy didn't pop either when I did the final request for that trophy. I'm not sure if they are tied together or not, and it may have been that the Naturalist trophy for gathering all of Dr. Agassiz's specimens would have glitched out too...but I didn't complete those side quest requirements. Once the Abolitionist trophy didn't pop, I stopped my second playthrough and started a third playthrough. On this playthrough, I waited until Emerson told me about the surveying jobs and on that playthrough, everything popped as it should have. So word to the wise if you plan on playing this game...on your non-hermit playthrough...DO NOT start the surveying side quest until after Emerson notifies you about it. It may have been a coincidence, but it's the only thing I can point to that caused the trophies not to pop when they should have during my second playthrough. Turns out I would have needed that third playthrough regardless as the 50 mile trophy was the last one to pop for me and didn't pop until spring started. In hindsight, it may have been a blessing that the trophies glitched in the second playthrough because it meant my third playthrough gave me more to do than just walk back and forth. If I had finished that second playthrough, it would have popped sometime during the winter of the third...but I suppose you could continue your second playthrough and just go through the seasons, walking each day, until it popped.

I have mixed feelings about this game overall. I was bored to tears during my first playthrough as there is legitimately not enough to do in the game if you aren't going into town. Your hermit playthrough only consists of walking, taking boat rides to get that trophy out of the way, and maintaining your different supplies. The idea of inspiration enhancing the colors in the game was interesting...but there's no consequence at all for having low inspiration other than lifeless graphics. The second playthrough was way more interesting, but littered with trophies that didn't pop when they should, which soured that experience. That ended up making the third playthrough feel stressful as if I could be wasting my time if the trophies didn't pop this time. It was a relief when they did pop, but the focus was on making sure I didn't do anything to glitch out the trophies rather than enjoy what the game has to offer. At the end of the day, it was a pretty low stress, but boring game. If you read all of the diary entries, you would learn a thing or two about transcendentalism and about Thoreau, but the story doesn't go into any great depth outside of these small phrases you find. I bought Walden, a game back in June of 2022 for $4.49. That is a fair price for this game and I do not walk away feeling ripped off. It would have been a much more enjoyable game to play without the hermit playthrough and without the trophy popping issues. If you can find the game for that price, it's probably worth a playthrough...but any more than that and you may walk away feeling shortchanged. 

I'm going to try and mix in a few more 'non project' games so that I have more reasons to write. Hope everyone is having an enjoyable gaming year so far! Can't believe it's already March...

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Briste said:

I'm going to try and mix in a few more 'non project' games so that I have more reasons to write. Hope everyone is having an enjoyable gaming year so far! Can't believe it's already March...

It's march, and I played only one game this year and am not even half way through, so you're good im comparision.

The project doesn't sound like birthday Plat rain day coming again, so what is it? Or is it still hush-hush, secret-secret?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The project doesn't sound like birthday Plat rain day coming again, so what is it? Or is it still hush-hush, secret-secret?

45 minutes ago, gruffiiti said:

Maybe hes trying to spell his username in a plat rain? :dunno:

It's not super secret really, it's just that it's for an event that's been run annually by someone else. I don't want there to be any pressure to run the event again or anything. I just can never finish this particular event in time and I thought it'd be cool to spend the year getting ready for it just in case. There is a common theme among the games, but there is one unfinished game that will cause confusion I'm sure lol 

When I pop them, it probably won't all be on the same day, but there will be a specific order to how I pop them, whether the event happens or not.

Speaking of events...I'll need to put my progress in the DLC event since I've finished several DLC's already :) 

• Like 1

9HGCuir.png

Risk of Rain

Quick little 100% game up next. This was a complete spur of the moment game. I had remembered @realm722's glowing recommendation when he had played and and @Cassylvania had recommended it recently as well. I knew it was a roguelike, but not much else. I didn't even know what roguelike/lite meant until a couple of years ago and my first real introduction to the genre was Enter the Gungeon, which I absolutely loved. Technically, Shiren the Wanderer was a roguelike/lite, but that had more of a Legend of Zelda feel than EtG. I had a craving for that Gungeon feel and am not quite ready to tackle The Binding of Isaac quite yet so this game was a pretty satisfying fit.

Risk of Rain is a 2d side-scroller with graphics that reminded me of my NES days. The 'story' is that your spaceship has crash landed and you are trying to get off this planet that you've landed on. Your character is a 'Survivor' and according to the selection screen, there are twelve of them to choose from. You only start with one, the Commando, and you have to unlock the others through playing the game. After completing all of the trophies, I unlocked ten of the twelve. The only one that you need to unlock for a trophy is the 'Bandit' and that's because you have to beat a boss with one of his moves. I enjoyed playing as the Commando and felt that his arsenal of abilities and weapons matched how I like to play these games so I pretty much only used him. I didn't like the feel of the Bandit and only used him three times until I got that trophy and moved back to the more comfortable Commando. I never tried any of the other characters.

The levels are relatively small, but you start at 'Ground Zero' and your mission is to find the 'Gate' that will lead you to the next level. Once you find the gate and activate it, it takes 90 seconds to charge and enemies start spawning at a much faster rate in addition to one (or sometimes two) of the possible bosses. Once the gate has charged, enemies stop spawning and you can leave the level once you clear out all the remaining bad guys on the floor.

Similarly to EtG, I was getting creamed out of the gate and thought this game was going to be quite a challenge. I started playing on the 'Rainstorm' difficulty (normal) since you need to play at that level in order for the enemies to drop a 'Log Book'. The 'Log Book' is a fairly rare drop and you need 15 of them from the possible 31 enemy types for a trophy. I figured I'd play on that difficulty until I got enough books and then step down to 'Drizzle' to do the trophy cleanup. One of the trophies is for dying 50 times. Considering I died ten times relatively quickly, I figured that would be one of the first trophies I'd win and I was surprised that the rarity on that trophy was as low as it is. Well, while I got my ass handed to me relatively quickly in the beginning, the learning curve isn't that steep, and once I got my bearings, was able to hold my own pretty quickly.

There are many, many different artifacts that you can get and you can get the same one several times. As you do, they stack and make the effect, and by proxy your character, even stronger. You may feel exposed and vulnerable early, but once you figure out what they are and how to farm them...you can get beefy pretty quick. The main way to get artifacts is by opening treasure boxes or by paying for a wish(?) at a shrine. You'll also get them from Boss drops and one artifact will make 'elite' enemies also potentially drop artifacts. You earn a little money for each kill and enemies will spawn indefinitely until you activate the portal, so you can farm gold as long as you want. I found that it was best to farm enough gold to unlock all of the boxes and shrines until they were all gone, before activating the gate portal.

You don't want to dilly-dally though. Sticking around to farm too long does have its drawbacks....there is a timer in the game and the longer you play, the harder the difficulty is. It starts at 'Very Easy' where the enemies have the least amount of HP and they spawn more slowly and with not as many. In the 'Rainstorm' difficulty, about every one and a half minutes, the difficulty is increased...so every 90 seconds it'll go from 'Very Easy' to 'Easy' to 'Medium' to 'Hard' to 'Very Hard' and so on all the way up to 'HA HA HA HA HA HA' difficulty and in turn the spawns become faster with more spawned enemies and with more powerful versions. So if you take too long, and don't get enough artifacts, the enemies will become too strong and you'll get slaughtered. However, if you farm enough artifacts and get lucky with some good ones, 'HA HA HA HA HA' difficulty isn't that much harder than 'Very Easy'. On my last playthrough, I was virtually God. I had like seven stacks of every artifact (I had 237 at one time!) and I was regening health faster than I was losing it...that was if the enemies could get through my shield. The good news is that level of OP'ness makes the clean up for trophies super easy.

A typical run has about five or six levels before you have the option to go to the last level. You can then either choose to go to the last level or replay a random level that is not the last level. The way I was able to get so many artifacts was because I was replaying the other levels. One of the trophy's requires you to open a Gold Treasure chest using the 'Explorer Key' (the wiki page calls it a Skeleton Key). It took FOREVER for RNGesus to bless me with that key as an artifact drop. I think I cycled through fifteen levels before getting one.  The Gold Treasure chest will only appear in two different levels (thankfully, one of them is the last level), so I just kept cycling levels until I got the key before going to the last level.

Overall, the game ended up being quite easy. I'm not sure why the guide seems to think it takes 25 hours to beat...I beat it in about 10-12 and I got relatively unlucky with RNG. My playtime will probably show like 30 hours because I left my console on overnight. One of the artifacts is a piggy bank that gives you a constant stream of money over time (about one gold every 2.5-3 seconds). The more stacks you have, the faster you get money. I had two stacks of the piggy bank and decided I'd leave the game on overnight, after clearing a level, to get the $20k trophy to pop. I left it on for about 16 hours or so and got to $21k when I turned it off. Trophy didn't pop...so word to the wise, don't waste your time with that method. In all honesty though, you get money really fast by the end of the game and the $20k trophy is super easy. That last run I did I had over $350k by the end of the last level.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the soundtrack. It was actually quite good. Each level seemed like it had its own theme song and some of them were bangers lol It runs on a loop, but it sounded good and matched the style of game. I would 100% recommend this game to anyone. It scratches a nice itch for those that already like roguelike games and for those that are unsure if you'd like that genre or not...it's a good introduction. It's relatively short, has a smaller learning curve and is not terribly priced. It's a small bummer that there's no plat for this game. There are many in-game achievements to unlock that are not on the trophy list. They could have easily added more stuff to do and I would have happily continued to play this game. I would have liked to see a trophy for beating the game with each character or something. For a trophy hunter, there's a lot of the game left untapped due to the lacking trophy list....but as a person who also likes to have fun playing games, this game checked all of those boxes. Pick up this game and feel confident you are going to have a good time!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Platinum #182

hvxul3r.png

Strategic Mind: The Pacific

Here's a secret about me...I love Turn Based Strategy games. I love them. I grew up playing games like Civilization 2 and Lords of the Realm 2 with my brother. I like playing board games like Risk and Mage Wars and some of my all-time favorite games are from this genre. I'm a sucker for them and no matter how bad the reviews are for a game, there's a decent chance I'll still give it a try if it's a TBS. That's why Space Hulk is on my profile and that's why I played this game. I had never heard of it before and the only reason I picked it up was I saw it randomly when scrolling through a PS Sale back in November. It was 50% off and with a name like that...I figured TBS. I looked it up here and saw that there were only a few dozen players of the game and nobody had played it in like a year. Didn't bode well for how good it would be, but I looked up a review, which gave it a pretty poor score, but I saw some of the gameplay and didn't care what the reviews said. This was a game I was going to enjoy. I picked it up with no real timetable of when I wanted to play it...but its scarcity and genre had me interested. There's almost no information out there on this game and what little there is was less than flattering.

So what is Strategic Mind? It's an historically based TBS game that utilizes a grid format for maps, reminiscent of Civilization. There are towns/cities (that you don't do anything with directly, but are important to the strategy of a level) and chess-like pieces that can move certain spaces and have specific attacks. There are Naval Ships, Naval Planes and Land Soldiers/Tanks. The green pieces are your core/forever pieces that stay with you throughout the game. If they die, they're gone from the game, but you can level them up and give them bonuses to attacks or extra things they can do. The gold/yellow pieces are also pieces you control, but they are rentals. You can only control those ones for that specific map and whether they live or die won't matter since they don't go to the next zone with you....well that's not true exactly....if too many of your pieces die, you lose 'promotion points' and miss out on the trophy for that level. But if you're going to sacrifice a piece, you want it to be the gold/yellow piece. The blue pieces are allied NPC's that you do not control and the red pieces are the enemy.

The story of the game follows the US and Japanese conflict in the Pacific during World War II. It's supposedly fairly historically accurate, however I can't say for sure since I skipped all the cutscenes (I'll explain why later). There are two campaigns. One as the US Navy and one as the Japanese Navy. Each campaign has nine battles to complete to finish. The maps do seem to be pretty accurate, which was neat and I did end up enjoying the game...HOWEVER! This game is so brutally, and almost unforgivably, flawed.

I'm going to write about all of the major sins this game has. The first major sin is also the first one you see. The game opens with a CG scene, just before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Never mind how terrible the scene is, showing a family having breakfast before being bombed from the sky...but the CG and voice acting is HORRENDOUS!! The mouths move completely independent of what the person is saying and there is absolutely no syncing involved at all. The voice acting is extremely flat and they would have been much better served having still frames with a Narrator or something. It is by far the worst CG I have ever seen in my life. I think games in the 90's did a better job of syncing the mouths to the words than this game. It was horribly bad.

The next major sin for me was the lack of a tutorial mission or anything. I played the US campaign first and you get dumped into a battle where you are given primary and secondary objectives. You have no foot soldiers yet and only Naval ships and planes. There is no explanation of the stats of each...no explanation of anything. It's the Dark Souls of TBS games. You get dumped into a battle and have to figure things out on your own. I got the platinum and I still have no idea what most of the things on the screen were. I know that the buildings are train stations, runways, ports, supply stations and a couple of other things. I know as your units run out of gas or ammo, you need to go to one of these things to refill...but I'm unclear as to how close you need to be or anything. Some of the hexagon squares on the map are red, which I thought meant you were in range of the supplies or something...but that didn't seem to be the case. I know you don't get the benefit of the building if it's destroyed until it is rebuilt...but I have no idea how to leverage the buildings to your advantage. 

It doesn't help that the controls in this game are completely fucked. They aren't bad, so long as you do not try to use any of the quick keys to change the size of the map or navigate the HUD. If you should try to press any button outside the D-Pad, twin sticks, :cross::triangle:, or :circle:...the cursor just randomly will start to move around the screen. Pressing L1/R1 buttons is supposed to jump to different areas of the HUD to help make navigation easy...but if you do, and then move the cursor, it will just keep wanting to return to that spot. The only fix I found was resetting the game. If you play this game, only use those buttons I mentioned above or you're going to pull your hair out trying to maneuver around the screen. It also doesn't help that you can have three units occupy the same square at once. It could be a building, ground unit and air unit or submarine, ship and plane...but trying to select the on you want was more of a pain than needed. I figured out by around the sixth map that the HP of the units could be selected and that you didn't have to click on the image of the unit. That helped, but was still not fool proof. It also was a bit of a pain having a unit try to occupy a town. If you didn't click just right, you'd click on the town and see the supply routes (which I still don't understand how they work.) Despite those headaches, once you do figure out how to move around the screen without the random cursor warping....it's not bad....but it is really bad until then.

The HUD in between missions isn't terrible. In between missions you have the opportunity to acquire new units, upgrade existing ones, get equipment, add/upgrade abilities for individual units via the level up tab or add/upgrade abilities that you can use as a commander. You earn a type of currency in each level that you can spend in this phase. The promotion points (called Victory Points in the war room) can be used to upgrade the the commander abilities, which either add things you can do or lessen the cost of abilities during a campaign. The other currency you have is called 'Prestige', which you earn by defeating enemies and finishing objectives. That currency is used to get new units or upgrade existing ones. I found that I liked to upgrade my existing ones more than buy new ones. New units are expensive and I feel like you get more mileage for your prestige on making your existing ones stronger. I tried to get two Capital Ships (Battleships), two Carriers, two to four Destroyers and two subs. I'd then try to get up to five fighter planes and five bombers to go on the Carriers. For ground troops, I got more infantry types than tank types since infantry types tended to be more mobile...but I'd have a couple of each. It takes several campaigns to be able to afford all those units, but that was what I aimed for.

The next brutal thing...the phrases your units say when you click on them. I think they were trying to add a bit of humor to the game...but it is so bad and gets really annoying really fast. Plus they randomly throw in swears for no reason. Sometimes when you click on your ground units as the US, they say something that sounded like 'hang on, we've got to take care of some stupid fucks' or something. I ended up not being able to play the game around my kids, which was a shame since they were interested in it. I don't get upset at swear words, since I swear all the time myself...but it just seemed really out of place for this game. I'm also not one that gets offended easy, but one of the Japanese submarine lines seemed borderline racist. All the other pieces speak in perfect English (whether they are Japanese units or US), but this one line goes like 'oooo how you see me' in a Japanese accent that felt like it came from South Park. It wouldn't have stood out as inappropriate if all of the Japanese units spoke with the accent...but it came across as them trying to make a joke on the accent and again didn't seem necessary in the context of the game and the story. In any case, they all get so repetitive and what may have been funny once, got super annoying by the 400th time you hear your pilot say 'low on ammo, not on altitude'.

The last sin I'll blast them for are the bugs. I don't know if it got buggy because I had 600 save files in the game, but my game crashed about 30 times on the last US campaign alone and another 10-15 times throughout the entire Japanese campaign. Why did I have so many saves you might be wondering...because the game makes two autosaves each turn. Once at the beginning of your turn, and once right before you hit 'End Turn'. Doing that makes save scumming insanely easy, but it then will auto save your save scumming attempts and the number of saves you have grows quickly. By the time I got to about the fifth level in the Japanese Campaign, any time I tried to make a manual save, it told me I had too many saves and had to delete some. I like the autosave at the beginning of each turn...but it should cycle through ten or something. Anyways, on the last level of the US Campaign, I had upgraded my tanks to the highest level. Apparently that broke the game, because the sprite for the tank didn't appear on the screen. Instead, a giant red question mark appeared where my tank should have been. You could click on the question mark and move it like a tank...but the sprite started to fall through the screen or randomly warp around. Just check out this awesome tank sprite:

The shame about it is the game was actually really fun outside of the nonsense. It is very challenging as the fog of war makes virtually all of the enemy units disappear at the end of each turn and you have to re-discover them. Scouting plays a huge role in success and since most units can move a great distance, you need to play it a little safe as it's easy to have the enemy units gang up on your aircraft carrier and send it down to Davy Jones Locker. Now that I know what I'm in for, I'll probably end up playing the other games in the series if they go on sale. I figured out how to avoid the annoying stuff (mostly) and will be able to just have fun with the maps.

The trophies are straightforward even if there is no real explanation on what you need to do. Basically you just need to do all the objectives, defeat all the enemies and control all the buildings and you get both trophies each level has. It's a bit easier said than done because some secondary objectives have a time limit on them and some are well hidden. It can also be challenging finding all of the enemies at times due to how strong that fog of war is. Half of the trophies are for 'Gain Enough Promotion Points'. There are 400 promotion points available each map. You gain promotion points for completing objectives and defeating enemies. You lose promotion points for taking too many turns to beat the level and/or losing too many units. There are probably other ways you can lose promotion points as well, but none that I came across. The good news is your promotion points are shown on the top of the map so you can tell when you've done everything. The campaign will want to end after you finish all the primary objectives, but you can return to the map instead of finishing to clean up the rest.

This game has a really good concept and the framework of a really good TBS, but the execution of it was such garbage that I have a hard time recommending this game to anyone other than TBS enthusiasts such as myself. The levels were fairly long too, mostly due to how many units you control. You could have anywhere from eight to twenty units. Trying to figure out what to do with each of them and then battling the HUD made each turn take several minutes. It took me roughly 80 hours to beat this game, however a lot of it was going back to replay earlier saves to make sure I completed all of the objectives before moving on. It's definitely not a quick game, but I probably took longer than is needed. If you know what you're doing, you could probably get through it in about 40 hours. Since it takes so long to learn the game and you are battling the HUD half the time, 60 seems more likely. Despite all of the headaches and all of the bad things about the game, I'm glad I played it and I did enjoy it enough that I'll buy the rest of the games eventually...but not a chance in hell for $30. We'll see if/when they go on sale again. As of now, I'm only the third person to platinum the game and I can't give any really good reason why there should be a fourth.

On to happy news though. The Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster comes out tomorrow and I'm stoked. I'm really excited to get these games on my profile and I'm going to savor these (as much as I can since I'm going to play them all right away). If you haven't played any of the originals...I highly recommend giving them a go at some point. The price tag is a bit steep for all of them, but when they go on sale, it'll be worth your time to play them.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 4

On 4/18/2023 at 6:58 PM, Briste said:

Platinum #182

hvxul3r.png

Strategic Mind: The Pacific

Great write-up! It's hard out there for console-based strategy lovers, man... I feel your pain! Reading the intro had me so intrigued, the genre, the name drops, was definitely hoping for that to end on a more positive note but it happens, whaddayagonnado. I applaud you for seeing it through and finding as much enjoyment out of the experience as you could, mad props for that?

• Like 1

I started with VII, loved VIII and Tactics, had a good time with IX and X and was okay with X-2. Unfortunately, beginning with XII (I am not counting the online games XI and XIV as main FF games, sorry), I felt the series went downhill, with XIII as the low point. I didn't even bother to play that game a second time.

At this point, I only want one thing from Final Fantasy: A Tactics remaster. That is the one game that I absolutely want as a milestone on my profile.