The Proposal to Fixing the Platinum Trophy: The Ribbon System

Ribbon of Effort Percentage  

473 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort? (For example, '75%' means any platinum trophy you earn with a 0% - 75% rarity gets you a ribbon)

• 75% (If set this high, it would include most games that take hours to complete while still excluding all games which take minutes)
    • 70%
    • 65%
    • 60%
    • 55%
    • 50% (If set this low, games like Spider-Man won't get a Ribbon of Effort)

I will say that I actually really like this idea.  Stats are a big part of anything we as a society do, why would more information, displayed in a simple yet elegant way be a bad thing?  It doesn't change anything that you have accomplished, or designed to make anyone feel bad about something they have done, it is just another stat to add to the numerous stats already provided.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

If we going with this thing, let us have the chance to opt out from this. I don’t need some unofficial numbers on my profile page.

Unofficial is subjective. The rarity here is unofficial yet it's accepted and mostly taken as gospel.

So ribbons are a welcome addition because it feels quite well thought out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Detrimental in what way? I don't see how rewarding people with ribbons for putting effort into their platinums hurts people on the other side.

5 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

How is it designed to exclude anyone at all?  That would be like saying the platinum trophy is designed to exclude those who don't get it.  It just doesn't make sense.

Leaderboards exist for no reason other than to compare you against others, the more stats on that leaderboard, the more ways you can compare yourself against your peers.  If you are worried that adding stats are going to be excluding people, then you need to opt to get rid of all stats (trophies included), because they all will exclude someone along the way.

Both your points are valid if were just talking about something else. We are talking about a ribbon with a statistic that is specifically calculated to exclude a demographic. Made to counter people who are playing completely within the current leaderboard rules of listing people with the most points.

Anecdotes and comparisons need not apply, we don't need to compare this to anything else because it isn't anything else. It's detrimental because they played by the leaderboard rules up to this point and now group has banded to find a way to identify them as different and call them out as different on the front page of their profile. Anyone with a difference between their ribbon count and their platinum count will be labeled as less than others and you can look back through most of the conversations here on the topic to see how civilized people tend to be on the subject.

• Like 3