Xbox Scarlett & PS5

RadiantFlamberge

Backwards compatibility is fine but not a major selling point.  I barely touch my PS3 as it is, feels so dated.

Did they say how save files work?  I can copy over my PS4 save file and continue on using that on the PS5?  

7 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Backwards compatibility is fine but not a major selling point.  I barely touch my PS3 as it is, feels so dated.

Did they say how save files work?  I can copy over my PS4 save file and continue on using that on the PS5?  

Simple backwards compatibility won't cut it anymore. It would at least have to be similar to how Xbox OG and 360 games have higher resolution and better framerates on Xbox One.

If the PS5 plays all PS4 (and hopefully PS3) games at 1080p and a locked 30/60fps with proper framepacing and no screen tearing, I would gladly go back to some UE3 games like Asura's Wrath.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 5:42 AM, Gommes_ said:

I have barely any interest in the new consoles. Sure, I am really interested when it comes to the spechs and stuff but besides that? There are still so many games for the 3 and 4 I want to check out and my Switch also needs some attention. The PS5 has to deliver a state of the art game in order to be bought by me. If they publish Bloodborne 2 or God of War 2 at launch forget everything I just wrote. Than it's an instant buy ;) But as always, the games have to sell the platform.

Games have to be more than just 'state of the art'.

I look at Assassins Creed Odyssey, Marvel's Spider-Man and God of War 2018. When all seen in full 4K graphics capability, they look amazing.

This is where the video game industry is at. Next gen they're going to have to push forward past 4K graphics to get even more graphical power out of technology. Hell I will bet top dollar that next decade, we will have stuff in 8K resolution. People have already talked about 8K although that is still a long ways off and 8K itself is barely in it's infancy stage.

We have enough.

Several games from 2018 onward look more impressive and more graphically amazing than anything before. If that isn't state of the art then I don't know what is.

Five years from now that WON'T be state of the art. Look at inFamous: Second Son and Killzone: Shadowfall. They already look a little beaten around the edges.

Honestly at this point I'm just going to stick with my PS3 and PS4 library and forget about the PS5 for a couple years.

There will be updates to the PS5 console. It's price tag will be reduced. More games will be released for it. There will probably be a midrelease console that is superior to the launch console.

People can never have enough. It always has to be 'state of the art'. Never mind the innovation and creativity. Which mind you, some indie games I've seen do a MUCH BETTER job of satisfying both categories over that $200 - 300 million dollar AAA game that was made with a checklist of things and a bunch of like minded investors in mind. Looking at you Ubisoft and Rockstar Games.

Edited by Spaz

On 2019-07-09 at 6:57 AM, soniq said:

Simple backwards compatibility won't cut it anymore. It would at least have to be similar to how Xbox OG and 360 games have higher resolution and better framerates on Xbox One.

If the PS5 plays all PS4 (and hopefully PS3) games at 1080p and a locked 30/60fps with proper framepacing and no screen tearing, I would gladly go back to some UE3 games like Asura's Wrath.

I don’t think all b/c support games on Xbone are “enhanced”. 

10 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I don’t think all b/c support games on Xbone are “enhanced”. 

All OG Xbox are enhanced on both base model and X, but yeah, only a few 360 games are.

As for PS3 emulation, RPCS3 team is doing a really good job, a few games are even playable on some lower end CPUs. I have an i5 6500 paired with a 1060 and was able to play NieR just fine from start to finish with 1440p resolution. Judging from that I'm pretty sure that Sony, with all their knowledge about the PS3 hardware, could make something even better on the PS5.

That's if they're even going to attempt it, which I'll bet they won't lol.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

Games have to be more than just 'state of the art'.

I look at Assassins Creed Odyssey, Marvel's Spider-Man and God of War 2018. When all seen in full 4K graphics capability, they look amazing.

This is where the video game industry is at. Next gen they're going to have to push forward past 4K graphics to get even more graphical power out of technology. Hell I will bet top dollar that next decade, we will have stuff in 8K resolution. People have already talked about 8K although that is still a long ways off and 8K itself is barely in it's infancy stage.

We have enough.

[snip...]

I meant state of the art in a more personal way- so state of the art for me but I totally get what you are saying though  ;). God of war for instance was one of the best games I've played, that's why I spoke about a second entry. And I am not just talking about graphics and stuff but atmosphere, story, chemistry between characters and so on. The ironic aspect is that you don't know these things if you've never played them. So the first thing that'll catch your attention are the graphics. But even graphics can be state of the art even if they don't have the highest standard when it comes to lighting, resolution etc.

Unlikely I buy right at launch but The Last of Us Part II will challenge my willpower.

Also, look forward to the next generation of many sports games I play.  NHL was like a whole new game going from PS3 to PS4.  Can’t wait.

9 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

I meant state of the art in a more personal way- so state of the art for me but I totally get what you are saying though  ;). God of war for instance was one of the best games I've played, that's why I spoke about a second entry. And I am not just talking about graphics and stuff but atmosphere, story, chemistry between characters and so on. The ironic aspect is that you don't know these things if you've never played them. So the first thing that'll catch your attention are the graphics. But even graphics can be state of the art even if they don't have the highest standard when it comes to lighting, resolution etc.

The practice that I've adapted since the PlayStation 2 era is to not buy at launch.

Even back then I found it better to just wait. I've done this for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. I'm not satisfied with buying a new console and then realizing that there are very few games released for it.

I had all the opportunity to buy a PlayStation 4 at launch. I was living on my own, worked a job, went to school part-time so I could already afford a new console plus 10 - 20 new games. All I saw were Knack, Killzone: Shadowfall, Battlefield 4 and Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag. Two of those games had a last gen release as well as a new gen release. But that's not nearly enough to satisfy me or my standards.

I waited until mid 2015. I got Bloodborne, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Batman: Arkham Knight. All worthy purchases that I couldn't of gotten if I just bought my PS4 around launch date.

My prediction is the PlayStation 5 is going to release around late 2020. Right after the 2020 Presidential Elections here in the United States end. But.... I'm not going to buy it simply for the fact that there will be very few games available for it and there will be a fuck ton of updates made for the console. I know for a fact that the PlayStation 5 will get periodic updates for the first year or so. Just look at the PlayStation 4 now as opposed to what it was back in November 2013. The difference is night and day.

Personally I was not all that satisfied with God of War 2018. Video games have gone from arcade like experiences to Game of Thrones style storytelling while gameplay is made ever simpler. Don't get me wrong, God of War 2018 was a good game and more than worthy of being a solid exclusive. Whether Cory is going to start expanding a bit on how Kratos actually got there in the Norse mythology world remains to be seen. Games have gotten much easier now as opposed to just 10 years ago. A big reason is because the masses don't want to play a game that challenges them.

• Like 1