Storytelling in video games (Survey for Thesis)

gameoncomrade

Hey guys  :dance:

I would be extremely happy if you would take out some time of your schedule (maximum 5 minutes) to help me. It's a survey about the importance of storytelling in video games. It's for my thesis in Game Design. Thank you so much! Feedback is also appreciated in the comment section down below. :yay:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScZejErdHuVlIn4MHwE2lOtsw_UAMDhevsWJKDWOSjdC4XxrA/viewform?usp=sf_link

• Like 3

Advanced issues found

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Interesting stuff. Never heard of Ludonarrative dissonance. I think it happens more than we know. I thought of a pretty easy example of it. 

Uncharted is the best example I can think of. You kill thousands of people and yet, you are the good guy who wants to have a happy life with his life.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2019 at 10:22 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

I've done it! That sounds like a really interesting thesis, I've never heard of Ludonarrative dissonance, the only game I could think of was tomb raider as I mostly play JRPGs

On 24/10/2019 at 0:48 AM, Clarink said:

Done! Good luck with the project, very interesting subject to work on.

Thank you very much. It means a lot!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I actually forgot to update some of you on this. Turns out, as a result of a thorough analysis of the results from this survey, the topic of the thesis was changed. The thesis investigated the elements that make up the dreadful atmosphere in survival horror video games and what design considerations that need to be taken into account when exploring the relationship between these elements. The theoretical framework, that was based on our analytical findings through prior research (for instance, through this survey) and our conducted quantitative inquires was critically applied to deconstruct the elements in P.T. and Amnesia: The Dark Descent as those two games have been eulogised for their frightening atmospheres.

Based on the framework, a design process was conducted to thoughtfully combine the elements and implement them into a self made survival horror video game that placed emphasis on tension and suspense building rather than cheap scare tactics such as jump scares. The objective was to create an unsettling atmosphere for players, and efficient utilisation of selected methods and iterative processes of testing seemed vital to achieve this. The game was a realistic-looking first-person horror game made in Unity.

• Like 2