Fez 2 Canceled, Phil Fish Confirms

xVolloxx

Fez 2 Canceled Phil Fish Confirms 

Fez 2 has been canceled by developer Polytron, according to a tweet on the developer's official account 

''It's with a heavy heart that we announce that FEZ II has been cancelled and is no longer in development. We apologize for the disappointment''

Fez creator Phil Fish has confirmed the cancellation with us via email, saying "Yep. I'm done." No details have been given as to why the game is canceled.

Shortly before the announcement, an argument between Fish and writer Marcus Beer broke out on Twitter in response to Beer's comments during a recent episode of GameTrailer's Invisible Walls. During the episode, Beer touched on the media's recent efforts to reach out to indie developers during the Xbox One's reversal on indie self-publishing — particularly Jonathan Blow and Fish, who "decided to go bananas and bitch and moan" about press questions.

"Gents," Beer said. "You were the guys who did Indie Game: the Movie. And some of you looked relatively normal in it, one of you looked like a total tosspot in it. But you can't have it both ways. You're successful game designers — you're 'indie' game designers — hurrah, good for you, you fucking hipsters."

Fish responded harshly in turn, later tweeting "I fucking hate this industry" for the negativity and criticism it's brought. The back and forth ended with Fish tweeting, "I'm done. Fez 2 is canceled. Goodbye." The announcement went up on Polytron soon after; Fish's account is also now private.

Fez 2 was announced at the Horizon indie press conference at E3 2013. No details were released about the game.

Update: The following update has since been posted on Polytron : 

"Fez 2 is cancelled. I am done. I take the money and I run. This is as much as i can stomach. This isn't the result of any one thing, but the end of a long, bloody campaign. You win."

''To be clear, i'm not cancelling FEZ II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, i'm doing it to get out of games''

''And i'm getting out of games because i choose not to put up with this abuse anymore''

Via Twitter : https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH

Article : http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/27/4563350/fez-2-canceled-phil-fish-confirms

Edited by TheBolloxx
  • Like 1

From what I can tell this Fish fellow seems like a drama queen who can't handle a little criticism. Oh well, it is his game and money so he can do whatever he wants with it and if he hates the industry he doesn't need to be working in it. I wish him well in whatever he decides to pursue next but I have a strange feeling we'll be seeing more of him in this industry after this blows over. 

Parker

That dude is overreacting.

Some people can't handle the internet and the criticism that comes with it .... 

From what I can tell this Fish fellow seems like a drama queen who can't handle a little criticism. Oh well, it is his game and money so he can do whatever he wants with it and if he hates the industry he doesn't need to be working in it. I wish him well in whatever he decides to pursue next but I have a strange feeling we'll be seeing more of him in this industry after this blows over. 

Parker

Yeah i follow him on Twitter and he is and no he can't handle criticism unfortunately which is a shame cause he seems like a genuine guy  

i don't think he hates the industry , he hates the journalism and the haters that come with it

i do too , hope he comes around and continues to make Fez II and whatever else . 

Parker

/thread

Also while the comment : "Gents," Beer said. "You were the guys who did Indie Game: the Movie. And some of you looked relatively normal in it, one of you looked like a total tosspot in it. But you can't have it both ways. You're successful game designers — you're 'indie' game designers — hurrah, good for you, you fucking hipsters."

I think at least what I agree and like to expand upon is that they have this have this holier than thou attitude and treat their videogames like its the next starry night. Sure not everyone is like that I get.

I remember going to IG:TM premiere here at MicroSoft HQ PR too, was seriously expecting usher to appear but alas it was not to be.

Edited by Ramonalicious

Phil Fish is a fucking pretentious douchebag who made one good game, he was a one hit wonder and nothing more. Shame he made his Twitter private though, I would have loved to see his reaction to all of this, especially after such gems as this:

phil-fish-tweet.jpg

And even the game isn't that good as people make it to be and it isn't even that good at all imo its just as pretentious as its creator.

Man, I think there's a reason why the industry is going after him so much, it's because of him! Someone should tell Phil Fish to look in the mirror and breathe for a little while, sure there were bad experiences with Microsoft but you deal with that, focus on your fans and future projects and MOVE ON, not Tweet like some child and then throw your arms up and then basically say "If someone doesn't talk good about me, then NOBODY can have my game!" Jeez man, it's time for a reality check, this is a tough industry to deal with but the reaction isn't for nothing Phil Fish.

When will Phil "blow" Fish get his head out of his ass and realize that maybe if he stopped acting like such a pretentious prick towards people then he wouldn't get as much hate and criticism aimed at him. Just looking at that documentary of his and the countless arguments he gets with people on Twitter and you can see why people hate him so much. Some have even said he may have some mental disability by looking at the things he writes. What kind of developer tells someone to suck them off and kill themself? And then he makes up some excuse about his friend passing away which is why he has such a cocky attitude? Gosh how pathetic. 

God, what an arrogant obnoxious loser, after reading this thread, I'm glad that I never bought into the hype surrounding Fez. Phil Fish needs to learn that the world doesn't revolve around him, there are better people in the industry than him, and none of them are as obnoxious, arrogant or conceited as him. I bet this prick has an inferiority complex or something.

When will Phil "blow" Fish get his head out of his ass and realize that maybe if he stopped acting like such a pretentious prick towards people then he wouldn't get as much hate and criticism aimed at him. Just looking at that documentary of his and the countless arguments he gets with people on Twitter and you can see why people hate him so much. Some have even said he may have some mental disability by looking at the things he writes. What kind of developer tells someone to suck them off and kill themself? And then he makes up some excuse about his friend passing away which is why he has such a cocky attitude? Gosh how pathetic. 

How do you know his friend actually didn't pass away? I'm not saying I support his attitude, but I wouldn't jump to a conclusion like that. Phil may actually be telling the truth. Now whether it really affected his attitude or whether he's just using his friends death as an excuse, I couldn't say. But surely nobody, not even the most arrogant person, would use somebody's death as an excuse, especially a friend's passing.

• Like 1

I don't support gaming journalist who goes too far just to look good and I don't like whiney devs.  Marcus Beer went a bit too far thus I can see why Johnathan Blow defending Fish on that account. However Fish giving up so easy to me to be honest why should I give my money to him. Anyways Fez looked like crap. Still the point being is corrupt gaming journalist strikes again and at the same time the whiner couldn't take his licks and bails on the industry. So lesson of the day is don't do gaming journalism TMZ style and if you can't take criticism at the same time find another profession. 

I don't support gaming journalist who goes too far just to look good and I don't like whiney devs.  Marcus Beer went a bit too far thus I can see why Johnathan Blow defending Fish on that account. However Fish giving up so easy to me to be honest why should I give my money to him. Anyways Fez looked like crap. Still the point being is corrupt gaming journalist strikes again and at the same time the whiner couldn't take his licks and bails on the industry. So lesson of the day is don't do gaming journalism TMZ style and if you can't take criticism at the same time find another profession. 

But the guy at IGN says he isn't paid to give CoD a high score. And authroity can't lie? Can they? that would be totally corrup- *cough* watergate *cough* -t. Seriously, you can't trust anybody these days. Journalists, newspapers, even the government a lot of the time.

But the guy at IGN says he isn't paid to give CoD a high score. And authroity can't lie? Can they? that would be totally corrup- *cough* watergate *cough* -t. Seriously, you can't trust anybody these days. Journalists, newspapers, even the government a lot of the time.

True on journalist. That's the problem with this industry's gaming journalist, they are PAID to ADVERTISE an game aka review it their way to please the ad money. I mean come on COD the first 1-2 might deserve the scores (Not to me still) but than it's just to please the money these sites gets. That's my problem with gaming journalism and their gaming noob that's right I call em gaming noobs ways. Still sites like Polygon and IGN are PAID to skew review scores. If you don't believe me look at COD reviews, "Exclusive reviews", and changing the scores around. The system is messed up with gaming journalism today and well if it keeps going an change is in order. 

As for Fez dev I'm disappointed, he just needs to take the actual licks from the gamers who weren't pleased and that's all he needs to worry about. Making an game is also improving on it including the sequels. Otherwise we get the same boring stuff year after year after year.