How is the difficulty of farming covenant items offline

Astray404

6 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

Just got the plat of DS3 and I found that DS remastered is on sale in ps store. I would like to buy it but I'm kinda worrying about the drop rate of covenant items if I farm them offline. How is the drop rate of covenant items in DS remastered?

I think it's better than it is in DS3, if that's any indication. I've never had any issues with covenant items in DS. Sunlight medals are the worst one that I recall (because you need so many), and they drop so-so from chaos bugs (though if you play at all online, everyone and their brother is a SunBro). But I didn't think they were worse than any of the annoying covenant items in DS3.

I think I used multiple playthroughs for the Gravelord item (good number in chests), and ground out souvenir of reprisal from those annoying flying enemies pretty easily. Humanity is a joke to farm. Am I missing any necessary for the plat?

EDIT: Oh, Basilisks drop the eyes, too. Should be fine.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

Honestly in Dark Souls Remastered the drop rate has been improved quite a bunch! In the original release the drop rate was worse truth be told. All you need, as usual, is this:

10 humanities(aka consumed, must show up in the upper left corner) - best farmed off the rats in the Depths, there's a bonfire there and a pack of rats near it. Alternatively the DLC is your best bet(you don't want to wait until then, for sure)

Covetous Gold Serpent Ring - found in Sen's Fortress, at the bottom where the boulders keep rolling, just let the hole fill so a boulder smashes the wall. You find the ring there.

While the worst to drop are Sunlight medals from those chaos bugs, they still drop way easier than in the original. Just make sure you have 25 faith to actually join sunlight covenant (I doubt they modified that), if you do not wish to co-op online. Evil Eyes for Gravelord(basilisks in the Depths) and Concords for Darkmoon(Paint of Ariamis) drop really easy now.

• Like 1

I did both games entirely offline. DS3 took forever to farm, especially the Silver Knights and the dudes in the catacombs must have taken 15 hours.  

In comparison, I wouldn't even call "farming" what you have to do in DS1, to be honest... You only need 10 of each covenant item, and they drop really quickly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

I did both games entirely offline. DS3 took forever to farm, especially the Silver Knights and the dudes in the catacombs must have taken 15 hours.  

In comparison, I wouldn't even call "farming" what you have to do in DS1, to be honest... You only need 10 of each covenant item, and they drop really quickly. 

So there is no ring/sorcery/pyro/miracle that need 30 covenant items? Wow that's so kind.

7 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

So there is no ring/sorcery/pyro/miracle that need 30 covenant items? Wow that's so kind.

There is one single covenant that you need to level up to rank 2, but that is done with "humanity". You'll get the amount required (30) in no time doing what Copanele described above :) 

All other covenants don't yield rewards required for the plat when you get them to rank 2. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

There is one covenant that you need to level up to rank 2, but that is done with "humanity". You'll get the amount required (30) in no time doing what Copanele described above :) 

All other covenants don't yield rewards required for the plat when you get them to rank 2. 

Many thanks! Without farming I think I could enjoy the boss battles more :)

The covenant items are super simple. I'd say the worst are the 10 thingies from Harpies in Ariamis, not due to the drop rate but because when they die they tend to fall down holes and shit. That takes like 30 minutes.

The sunlight medals are easy because the bugs don't attack and get one shot.

The covenant that requires humanity is simple because by the time you do it you should have well over 30 humanity items safely in your bags.

The thing that took me the longest were probably some of the weapon drops from regular mobs. The staff from the mages in the library is easily the longest and most boring one. Then there are the weapons from the different varieties of "knights", but those are more plentiful so you are likely to get a few of them through regular playthroughs.

One last thing that you should consider is that there is a very useful skip to go to the last boss. This avoids a lot of bosses that you don't need to fight again if you don't want to (the ones that you need the souls from come before the part were you can perform this skip).

• Like 1

As everyone in the posts above mine said, in DSR the covenant items are not hard to farm. I'd say the most "troublesome" thing to do for the platinum would be the weapon trophies, since you have to do at least two full playthroughs and one up to a certain blacksmith for the Knight's Honor trophy.

So someone who is coming from DS3's platinum (which I don't have but I know people who do) should not have a hard time with DSR.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

DS3's covenant grind was an outlier in the series. I think I spent longer grinding for those items in DS3 than I spent on the entirety of DS:R's platinum, although I had played it before

Those items were the worst part of getting the platinums across all three games

I agree. Especially when it only takes you 8-10 hours to beat this game but then you have to spend more than 20 hours to farm those items.

• Like 1