The 2019-20 Let's Hate on Winter thread.

RadiantFlamberge

It's winter...  

41 members have voted

1. 1. so, how badly do you dislike it?

• 10+ (Your hate for winter knows no bounds!)
    • 7-9 (Strongly dislike)
    • 4-6 (Moderately dislike)
    • 1-3 (It's a nuisance)
    • 0 (For whatever crazyass reason, you actually like it)

There are only two things I dislike about winter:

- The higher gas bill from the heat kicking on all day, every day.

- Driving in the ice and snow, which is only really because people are idiots.  Otherwise I find it kinda exciting. xD

Everything else is great.  The snow is beautiful.  I like walking outside and taking a deep breath of ice cold air.  I'll take snowblowing the driveway over mowing the lawn and raking grass clippings and leaves any day.  I'm way more comfortable in jeans, a hoodie and a jacket than I am in shorts and a t-shirt.    Plus it's a good excuse to cozy up on a cold winter day and play some games.

Spring and Fall are probably the most ideal as far as weather goes, at least where I live... but they definitely lack the character of Winter.  And Summer just straight up sucks.  I can't deal with heat and humidity and we get a ton in upstate/Western New York.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Well, at least it will be easier to find time especially for those long JRPGs such as Trails of Cold Steel III, which I'm sure will be 100+ hours like the first two. Some consolation, but that doesn't mean I don't miss my favorite outside activities. Getting some sun (no problem, I rarely burn) and doing outdoor activities are things I'll miss for the next 4 1/2 months. The ice cold air will surely send me reaching for a ChapStick.

When spring comes, I look forward to laying my hoodies, long boots, and all other winter gear back into the bin. After having to bundle up for 5 months, being able to quit it will feel liberating. El Niño would be a good thing right now.  When it happens, El Niño pretty much takes the sting out of winter and makes it something I can bear- not so cold, little or no snow.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
changed to "doesn't mean I don't miss"

On 11/9/2019 at 3:12 PM, Spaz said:

I absolutely hate high humidity. As someone who has been to California, Nevada and Arizona I can handle the heat. I've dealt with very hot heat in Las Vegas and Phoenix among other cities. But you throw in humidity in there, it gets absolutely miserable.

White-skinned European here. I think you've got a point with the humidity: I went to Death Valley with temperatures over 110 F and I loved it. I had never experienced such a high temperature with merely a soft hot breeze... but no humidity. It was perfectly doable as long as you don't do stupid shit such as running. I don't remember even sweating. In contrast, thanks to climate change we now get 85-95 F summer days here in The Netherlands frequently and humidity is close to the maximum. I can't stand it, I sweat like a pig. It is absolute hell to dress up for work, even casual smart. Keep in mind that we are not used to the heat, so an AC is not standard. I have in fact never worked at a place that had one and opening the windows with these temperatures and without even the slightest breeze is simply not a solution.

So yeah, give me extremely high temperatures with low humidity any day of the week over anything 80+ F with high humidity. I prefer spring over any other season, but I also don't mind a few cold/coldish autumn/winter days when the sun shines (I hate depressing grey skies and constant rain). A few days of snow is okay too, preferably when I don't have to drive anywhere. It makes the world a peaceful, quiet place. Just for a moment.

Now I've got snow and it's the real deal. Yuck. It's official: that's winter storm Caleb on TWC's list.

Vegas is starting to sound good to me right now. I could very easily swap out five months of Nordic winter conditions for two months of 100+ degree dry heat. I am sure it would feel better than my typical summer temp of 87 which is often accompanied by Louisiana-like humidity.

Thankfully I've rarely had power loss from winter. When it happens, it's one of the worst things. Staying in from the bad weather has given me a little more time to chip away at Trails of Cold Steel III... if not for that, I'd most likely be just entering the 2nd town instead of getting some stuff done there. Luckily fall has seemed to return for the past few days... but they're calling for snow again later in the week. Damn it.

Worst part of winter for me is seeing other people who have lived around here for almost thier whole lifetimes and panic when we get a slight snowstorm. I counted three cars ditched on my 10 minute commute to work one day

• Like 1

Look out, here comes Winter Storm Dorothy. If you're in its way and don't get snow (Poor Colorado... they just got murdered with 22-33" of that fucking trash dumped on them), you'll probably have what seems like a mini-hurricane.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2019-11-24-snowstorm-rockies-denver-plains-midwest-thanksgiving-week