God the controls in the mini games suck

• 2 weeks later...

The controls are terrible. Even in the main game, the camera alone increases the difficulty. It took me forever to beat the boss in World 2 because of it. The snowboarding it terrible. It took me a long time to get the slingshot trophy. Not looking forward to the monkey target trophy...

• 3 weeks later...

I all but gave up on this game for now, I could get a couple more of the grindy trophies but some of the mini games and a certain level in the final world was doing my head in.
I swear I remember this game being easier on the original version but in minigames and the main game.

• 1 year later...

I've been playing the Decathlon and Casual Time Attack once a day for a little over a month to inch towards the two trophies for playing both the Decathlon and Time Attack 36 times each, and finally got them both just now.

Even after playing them almost daily, these mini-games are a fucking abomination, and I only managed to get the required high-score for the Hammer Throw. My two cents (warning, rant ahead):

Seesaw BallOne of the better mini-games since the controls aren't anywhere near as bad as the rest of them, but that's not a high bar to set. Got ridiculously close to the required 8k score (got 7884, kill me) and just couldn't seem to get anywhere near that ever again. 

Space Monkey: The mini-game itself isn't terrible (not great either) but the required high score of 5000 is absolutely ridiculous, you'd need a godlike run to get it. Best I've gotten is 3560. 

Slingshot: Fuck this game. Whoever okay'd this needs to be slapped in the face. With a brick. 

Dangerous Route: Somehow the controls in this are even more slippery than the main game? How does that make sense? Like Space Monkey, you need a near flawless run collecting as many bananas while racing to the finish and not falling to get even close to the 2 min required time remaining. I'm not even close to this one. 

Hurdle Race: I have no idea what I'm doing wrong with this. I'm mashing the life out of my L1 and R1 buttons. Getting a boost over every hurdle. And best time I'm getting is around the 23 second mark, can't even get close to the 20 seconds. 

Hammer Throw: As with the rest of the mini-games, the controls in this just don't make sense. A lot of the times I'd barely get 50-60m and then, while doing the exact same thing as all of my other throws, I fluked a 111m throw to break the 110m required. 

Hovercraft Race: Who the fuck thought controlling a hovercraft like this was a good idea? Yeah, lets make them point both analog sticks in opposing directions to turn while slipping out of control! What the living shit is this? 

Snowboard: Slippery and very unresponsive controls. Best time I can achieve is 1:43, literally 3 seconds away. 

Monkey Target: Can someone explain how to play this shit heap? I can barely control the bloody thing and make it to the target, let alone get a high score! 

Whack-a-Mole: The control for the cursor in this is atrocious. Sometimes you think you're over the mole and whack down, only for the hammer to hit just on the side of the hole where the mole was. Got stupidly close to the required score of 3000 (got 2850) after many, many attempts. 

I don't mind a challenge. But when the challenge stems from poorly implemented controls that completely hinder your experience no matter how many times you play them, then its a problem. The main game is frustrating enough with its horrendous camera that you can't control but these mini-games just ruin the game completely. 

I'll end my rant there. I've given up and come back to this game a bunch of times over the past year and I think after this one, I'll officially give it up. If anyone has any tips on how they beat any of these mini-games, I'd gladly appreciate it.

• Like 1

Tips I’d give:

It helps to remap buttons in the PS4 accessibility settings for things like Hurdle Race. You can mash face buttons like “down”, “x” or “square” way quicker than L1 and R1.

Whack-a-Mole you can make easy by pausing after every whack to check the moles for your next move (always prioritise the higher value ones/moles just popping up).

Monkey Target gives you two pushes of “X” one to open the ball (glider) and another to close (it won’t open again). The key is to wait until you’re up near the bananas straight ahead of where you are launched before you open it. once open glide down collecting bananas if you can by pressing up/down to change your descent angle but stay perfectly straight (don’t go left or right), just before the first target, close the ball to drop onto the bullseye. You’ll get a feel for the drop distance after 2 or 3 attempts. 

Slingshot is pretty easy, you just have to spam shots into the very top of the screen to focus on hitting UFOs and then aim to get a few rising balloons whenever the next UFO is spawning.

Edited by Tsundokuist

10 hours ago, Tsundokuist said:

Tips I’d give:

It helps to remap buttons in the PS4 accessibility settings for things like Hurdle Race. You can mash face buttons like “down”, “x” or “square” way quicker than L1 and R1.

Whack-a-Mole you can make easy by pausing after every whack to check the moles for your next move (always prioritise the higher value ones/moles just popping up).

Monkey Target gives you two pushes of “X” one to open the ball (glider) and another to close (it won’t open again). The key is to wait until you’re up near the bananas straight ahead of where you are launched before you open it. once open glide down collecting bananas if you can by pressing up/down to change your descent angle but stay perfectly straight (don’t go left or right), just before the first target, close the ball to drop onto the bullseye. You’ll get a feel for the drop distance after 2 or 3 attempts. 

Slingshot is pretty easy, you just have to spam shots into the very top of the screen to focus on hitting UFOs and then aim to get a few rising balloons whenever the next UFO is spawning.

Thank you, I'll give these a try. Any tips for the Hovercraft Race mini-game? 

It’s been a while since I did these but from memory the flags in the hovercraft game are in straight lines. You can therefore get a lot in one run/acceleration as long as you take time to line up correctly/from the right approach point).

Reversing is something to remember to do. The hovercraft doesn’t corner at all well so most of the time it’s not worth trying to U-turn for a flag you just missed (you will usually drift away from

it doing that) 99% of the time it’s better to stop and reverse back into it by adjusting your angle. Bouncing off a wall/obstacle to turn/adjust course is a timesaver as well.

• 1 month later...

I’ve just completed all the mini-game trophies (minus the Decathlon one), and inspired by @coldhardcrash_, I’ve decided to give my opinions and tips related to them.

Seesaw Ball: This one is actually not that bad, minus the awkward physics. The biggest thing here is to collect as much bananas as possible and it is also vital to land right in the middle at the very end for maximum points.

Space Monkey Attack: Yeah, this one is annoying as shit. To reach the required score, you need to finish the mini-game with all 3 lives.

For the waves of enemies before the boss fight, I recommend going left and right constantly on the screen while shooting so you can kill as many enemies as possible. For the boss fight, you need to make use of the barrel roll (R1) to dodge the attacks. I recommend going into a corner and waiting until the VERY last second to use the barrel roll and save yourself from damage. This is because the boss will often send another attack right after, and you need as much time as you can get so that the barrel roll can recharge before you get hit.

This took quite a long time.

Slingshot: No doubt the worst minigame out of all of them. The controls are sensitive as fuck, and most of the time you have no idea where you’re aiming due to the lack of a crosshair. This is probably because the game originally released on the Wii, and the switch from motion controls resulted in the mini-game having terrible controls. 
Anyways, the key to victory here is to hit as many balloons as possible (around 5 seems to be required for 500 points) and the two UFOs which will give you 1000 points each. This is easier said than done though, as it’s hard to even know where your monkey will fly when you launch it. The best case scenario is the balloons spawning right in the center, it’s easier to hit them that way. 

Dangerous Route: There’s not much to say here, because the mini-game is pretty decent and easy. Just follow the road while picking up as many bananas as possible (especially the big banana bunches) so your timer goes past 2 minutes by the time you finish.

Hurdle Race: This is another shovelware tier mini-game like Slingshot. In this one you have to spam L1 and R1 while jumping over the obstacles in the correct timing to win within 20 seconds.

My biggest tip here is to re-map L1 and R1 to X and Circle, and remap X to Triangle. This way, mashing those buttons becomes significantly easier and increase your chances of victory. This still took the most time to complete by far. Just keep mashing and trying again, and you should succeed eventually.

Hammer Throw: Easy and fast minigame, I literally had the required score for this within 2 minutes. Just wind up your throw with the right timing and it should hit the required distance very easily.

Hovercraft Race: This minigame is also a pile of shit. If I said the controls sucked, that would be a massive understatement. You basically have to hap-hazardly control this hovercraft type thing through 12 flags. Honestly my biggest tip here would be to ignore the normal “turning” controls completely, and just turn yourself by pushing the left stick up or down. This saved me a lot of annoyance.

Also, try to “combo” the flags by getting a bunch of them in a straight line. This saves a lot of time. I pretty much just tried to hit as many straight lines as I could, then clumsily cleaned up the rest by sliding into them. The time limit for this is actually pretty generous.

Monkey Snowboard: There’s not much to this mini-game, and thankfully it is very straight forward. You’ll just need to finish the normal course under 1:40:00. Just try and hit as many bananas as possible for the speed boost, and don’t crash. If you do crash, you can restart the minigame immediately because you won’t hit the time.

Monkey Target: This one aggravated me quite a bit till I actually figured out how to play it. This is very hard to explain in text, but basically, you need to find a balance between pointing the monkey straight up and straight down. This will allow it to glide smoothly and with a great degree of control. If you do point it straight down, you’ll likely lose momentum and plummet down.

The right timing to release the monkey is also very important. I recommend this video to see exactly how that’s done:  https://youtu.be/JWsfosNVInQ

Another important step is to always try to hit the centre of the big “darts board” near the end for maximum points. You might be just short of the necessary points if you don’t do this.

First, go for the middle row and get the big banana bunch, plus some bananas while gliding down to the darts board.

Second, go for the left row and get as many of the banana bunches as possible.

For the third go, do the same thing for the right row.

This took quite a lot of time, but it is very doable once you figure out the controls.

Well, that’s all for the minigames. I’ve seen a lot of people who have given up in this thread, and I hope I can at least help them with these tips if they do decide to try again. Glad to be done with them, not so glad to have to play all of them 36 times for a trophy. Lol

• Like 1