Support for Vita's update to hide games

Sly Ripper

I was one of those people and i restarted 6 months ago and built up a pretty good account and now all that has just become completely pointless

That's the thing though, listen, I almost did the exact same thing you did when I was around 40 platinums, thought about starting over so I could get 100% completion rate, but I didn't, because anyone could do that, you know what I mean?  I understand why this would piss you off, but at the end of the day, don't let it bother you man, I have 106 platinums, you have 20, you have 91% completion rate, I have 75%, who cares?  It's just a number, just keep doing what makes you happy :lol:

• Like 2

The only people I see bothering to use this are those who want to boost their completion rate.

I know. As I said in the other thread, there is nothing to be gained by hiding any game from your list. The only real use it's going to find is people looking to seem superior due to their now higher completion rates. Which leads into...

i understand that, as long as it's not so people can bully people and make them feel like less of a completionist, and say that they are better than them, that's a great idea for competitions, unfortunately, some immature people will think highly of themselves because their trophy list isn't hidden.

You are actually assuming that people that choose not to use the feature may cause a problem for people that do? Again, there is no practical reason for hiding a game on your trophy list. You will not gain anything by hiding a game that a friend accidentally played on your profile and therefore stays at 0% (which is an easily avoidable situation if it's something you don't want to deal with in the first place). Any problems will be caused by people trying to hide what they've done.

• Like 2

It becomes a little bit tricky.

If the completion used the unhidden numbers then we can't tell which games those trophies were in, so 0% games would have to be included now.

Also, using the unhidden numbers means any flagged games would count towards completion while being hidden on the profile.

I updated my proposal in a new reply.

Also, while checking for hidden trophies via count, you can just post a warning saying that (when a user updates) that given the evidence of hidden trophies, 0% games will count.  However, I'm guessing those with 0% trophy list are gonna hide those very 0%'s before anything.

First off great, timely work!  Secondly, I'm an individual whose been hoping for a feature like this, though not how this firmware turned out.  My naivety lead me to glitching Socom and Fuel in Jan. 2010.  I took my walk of shame for 3 and a half years and tried hard to dismiss the notion that Tex is a cheater or hacker throughout the years.  I justifiably deserved the criticism i received and never decided to start over on a new account.  I was way too deep in the game at that point with 40+ plats and 2000+ trophies.  So, i continued on my path of redemption with hopes of earning fellow trophy peers respect.  Even though the 2 stains i spoke of earlier, following me as i continued to spread my disgust for anyone trophy hunting unfairly (teams, hackers, payers, traders or help me outer's).  I know i'm in the 1% minority who regret their few mishaps, and i have been earning my way for a second chance. I absolutely feel like i been trying to speak for the 1% minority on my behalf throughout the years.  With that being said, i have a few suggestions in mind.  

Is there a way you can show the number of games hidden by an individual in their profile?  Would you consider a LIMIT of hidden games a person may be able to have hidden if they would like to participate on your leaderboards?  I understand it's a person's right to hide whatever they shall desire, but to keep the integrity of the statistics i believe a LIMIT should be implemented!  Other wise people who've gone "full hacker" (never go full hacker) can just hide as many as they want.  Even though i know their statistics/trophies/levels will drop on this website.

As for the people who are genuinely trophy completionists, i hear their concerns and they should continue to be recognized for it.  So, if a LIMIT was imposed a person who has 50 unfinished games can't just hide them all or any future platinums/100%'s they cannot achieve, because the LIMIT has been enforced! 

Having a LIMIT to how many games you can hide and showing how many "hidden" games on a person's profile will still keep the integrity in place a bit.  Considering with what you have to work with from Sony's firmware.  So, instead of having a person just hacking away and hiding all their games, or a person playing whatever games they want without any consequences to their completion rate, they would have to consider the LIMIT i speak of.  Which will in turn, keep the new firmware from being exploited expeditiously by savvy trophy hunters!

I hope my suggestions could help spark an idea for SLY or the community if this firmware update affects them.  I personally am torn in two directions.  As I feel i've earned my way to "hiding" the infamous Socom and Fuel for obvious reasons (hopefully one day delete them entirely) and all their statistics because i didn't deserve them.  Others i would "consider" are BZB (dlc was never released) NBA 09: The Inside (got game after servers were closed) and NBA2k10 (One trophy glitched and plat unobtainable).  All of these mentioned games were no fault of my own, though it wouldn't kill me to leave them showing as played.  

Conclusion, i see how this update has changed the entire trophy statistics landscape.  Even though your leaderboard will reflect the games hidden by reducing their point values.  I truly believe this website, others, and the trophy communities should consider implementing a LIMIT (if possible) to keep things in perspective.  Just my 2 cents.  Keep up the great work, PSNP community! 

Thanks!

But I did make an error, what I meant was total displayed Trophies divided by MAX Trophy count (both unlocked AND locked) x 100 = %.

So, say I have 122 trophies earned, out of 150 possible trophies.  I decided to hide a few and now my trophy count on this site is 76.  So, 76 (displayed trophies) / 150 (max possible trophies = 50.6%

So not only will that reflect a fair completion rate, but the PENALTY would be a REDUCED trophy rate (as this site counts shared trophies instead of actual earned trophies)

EDIT:  I updated my proposalThis way, on this website, even hacked Trophies would NOT contribute to completion percentage.

Again, the problem is that there is no way to tell what's the number of possible trophies (the 150 number in your case), since this website can't find which games were hidden by a user (at least that's the impression I'm getting from Sly's comments).

@drummerklg

Hiding trophies is apparently a PRIVACY setting, so says Sony. This means that if a dad played a game he doesn't want his kid to see if they use the same profile, he can hide that game, for casual users it is explainable

However, trophy hunters will not give a damn about trophy privacy. For the trophy hunters who choose to hide trophies, they will select the games that they don't want on their list and not work themselves to get those games to a high percentage themselves - that's fine, those are also the people that don't care about a legitimate completion rate and should not care if their profile says they have hidden trophies activated.

As for the trophy hunters who care about a legitimate completion rate, they will really want a notification that tells them if a person has chose to hide their trophies, because they care about a legitimate completion rate. Even though you don't care about a legitimate completion rate and want to hide your trophies, that doesn't mean you should think the people that do care about a legitimate completion rate all of a sudden should not.

• Like 1

Holy crap are my math skills abysmal.  Sorry fellas! I really am not a smart person :(

I think the simplest solution is to calculate actual earned trophy numbers (displayed or not, doesn't matter) against total maximum trophies.

This will show the true completion rate.

As with trophy lists at 0% (which is displayed, not hidden) you can program the site so that that game's total max trophies from the overall max trophies.  (if a person has a max of 400 trophies, and has a game of 0% which has 30 possible trophies, then they can automatically reduce 30 from the overall max possible).

That would be fairest?

Again, the problem is that there is no way to tell what's the number of possible trophies (the 150 number in your case), since this website can't find which games were hidden by a user (at least that's the impression I'm getting from Sly's comments).

See, I actually thought they could still see the total max, just not which games/trophies.

With that out of the question, I guess my suggestion is moot.

We can't tell if a game is hidden, PSN removes it from the list that we retrieve, we can only tell that a number of trophies are hidden.

Edit: Icon added:

Y4d1x.png

Fantastic work...that's all i wanted

Obviously this feature sucks but that's on Sony's end... PSNP made the best of a bad situation.

Edited by Kazuma
  • Like 1

We can't tell if a game is hidden, PSN removes it from the list that we retrieve, we can only tell that a number of trophies are hidden.

Edit: Icon added:

Y4d1x.png

Oh wow, well that truly sucks!  Damn i wrote a long ass "article" too, oh well lmao.  Hopefully they tweek this firmware to where you can just delete games once a year or pay a fee per game you wish to delete in the future!

Oh wow, well that truly sucks!  Damn i wrote a long ass "article" too, oh well lmao.  Hopefully they tweek this firmware to where you can just delete games once a year or pay a fee per game you wish to delete in the future!

Edited by TEXASBOI727

@Sly Ripper

I also want to ask something else, should you implement something on people's (forum signature) trophy cards that indicated that they've hidden trophies? Like an asterisk right next to their completion percentage or something? Or should we not worry about that?

- - - 

As far as this feature as a whole, we would just need to complain to Sony, type in comments, shoot them emails and tweets, and message their podcast, etc - Tell Sony to take away the ability to "hide" our trophies and instead give the option to delete games 15% and under (or just 0% as others want) and when we do that it affects our trophy levels to decrease the level accordingly.

• Like 4

Great solution, thanks for the quick work, Sly! :)

@Sly Ripper

I also want to ask something else, should you implement something on people's (forum signature) trophy cards that indicated that they've hidden trophies? Like an asterisk right next to their completion percentage or something? Or should we not worry about that?

Or even a little marker at the bottom next to either the world rank or the points value? Or after the username/PS+ symbol? But I feel this is less needed and would just be an added bonus.

Edited by CooperFyfe

@Sly Ripper

Personally don't really think that would be necessary. If you are concerned enough about someone's ratio to want to know if it's legit (for lack of a better word) clicking through to their profile shouldn't bother you much.

@Sly Ripper

In addition to that, should there be an asterisk next to their completion percentage all over the site, or no? Just throwing out recommendations =P

Edited by BlindMango

Sly, people ask you to implement things, and you end up doing it, I thank you on behalf of everyone, for proving once again, that you are one of, screw it, the best admin ever.  I've been on other forums, but you are just miles ahead of them, thank you again :yay:

@drummerklg

Hiding trophies is apparently a PRIVACY setting, so says Sony. This means that if a dad played a game he doesn't want his kid to see if they use the same profile, he can hide that game, for casual users it is explainable

However, trophy hunters will not give a damn about trophy privacy. For the trophy hunters who choose to hide trophies, they will select the games that they don't want on their list and not work themselves to get those games to a high percentage themselves - that's fine, those are also the people that don't care about a legitimate completion rate and should not care if their profile says they have hidden trophies activated.

As for the trophy hunters who care about a legitimate completion rate, they will really want a notification that tells them if a person has chose to hide their trophies, because they care about a legitimate completion rate. Even though you don't care about a legitimate completion rate and want to hide your trophies, that doesn't mean you should think the people that do care about a legitimate completion rate all of a sudden should not.

So basically, people who have the hidden icon aren't "legitimate" trophy hunters?  Got it.   :)

@ SLY how about a LIMIT to the amount of trophies you can hide?  Like 5 - 10 games worth?  Whatever the community think is fair!

I'm pondering if this even necessary since hiding games drops your place on the leaderboards altogether and also drops your level (on this website, not on PSN) - Then again, there could be ways people could drop only 0% games that could up their completion rate on the leaderboards, hmmm.. Well, I guess that's overall why I was saying to put an asterisk by their completion percent if they choose to hide trophies.