Getting the Platinum diminished my enjoyment of Detroit: Become Human

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2020 at 6:49 AM, DarthMagnus0605 said:

Whenever I finish a platinum in a game I usually do two things. The first is a jump up in my chair screaming "YESSS!!". The second is to reflect on how getting the platinum affected my experience with the game. Sometimes my appreciation of the game goes way up and it can make a good game feel great (i.e. Infamous Second Son) or a great game feel even greater (i.e. Resident Evil 2). However, every now and again the chase for the platinum, while fun, can diminish my enjoyment of the game and Detroit: Become Human was one of those times. Now don't get me wrong. I absolutely loved this game. I think next to Indigo Prophecy this might be my favorite David Cage game yet. The characters, the story, the emotions i felt along the way, the revelations were all extremely satisfying. In fact I turned off the trophy notifications my first time through because I wanted to appreciate this game for what it was. However, the chase for the Platinum diminished my enjoyment of the game. I was now forced to make decisions for characters that I felt was incongruous with the story and motivations I had built up for them. My Markus is more MLK than Malcom X. My Conner wants to have a bromance with Hank not be cold to him. My Kara does make it. Forcing my characters to do things I didn't want them to do sucked and in some ways took away from the experience I had the first time playing it. I still am glad I got the Platinum but it came with a cost.

Did anyone feel the same as me? What games did you feel you would have enjoyed more if you were not chasing after the Platinum?

I'm having that thought right now as I just finished my 1st playthrough. I just wish the trophies aren't dependent on choices, but rather collectibles or any action regardless of path (i.e. Life is Strange collectibles).

• 4 months later...

For games like this I always do 1 playthrough blind, and make the choices I would and live with the consequences. I treat it like a story, it is what it is and I can like the story or not (interestingly enough I hated the Heavy Rain story for this reason lol). The platinum hunt, if I choose to do it, is a game of checkboxes, same as doing a Bad Karma run in the Infamous series or something like that. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I enjoy seeing the different ways the story can play out, but the plats for this and Heavy Rain both get really tedious by the end. It's fun to go back and see how certain sequences change if you successfully stealth vs. getting caught, or choose peace vs. violence and so on. The lack of a skip button, though, makes it annoying when you have to play through 80% of the game or more again for a single trophy. I really want to do back-to-back playthroughs for these types of games, because then I get to savor the parts of the game that are new instead of going, "Wait, does that always happen? How did it play out last time?" Just let me skip dialogue I've heard before! I want to see what's new in this playthrough, not sit through the same scene of someone driving in a car over and over.

Also, someone else mentioned this already, but the recycling center sequence was really uncomfortable. I wish they'd left that out, and just had it be an instant "game over" for those characters if they got caught.

5 hours ago, cakeisatruth said:

I enjoy seeing the different ways the story can play out, but the plats for this and Heavy Rain both get really tedious by the end. It's fun to go back and see how certain sequences change if you successfully stealth vs. getting caught, or choose peace vs. violence and so on. The lack of a skip button, though, makes it annoying when you have to play through 80% of the game or more again for a single trophy. I really want to do back-to-back playthroughs for these types of games, because then I get to savor the parts of the game that are new instead of going, "Wait, does that always happen? How did it play out last time?" Just let me skip dialogue I've heard before! I want to see what's new in this playthrough, not sit through the same scene of someone driving in a car over and over.

Also, someone else mentioned this already, but the recycling center sequence was really uncomfortable. I wish they'd left that out, and just had it be an instant "game over" for those characters if they got caught.

"I've always felt that 'game over' is a state of failure more for the game designer than from the player." - David Cage

But yeah, I agree, that part was too much.

4 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

"I've always felt that 'game over' is a state of failure more for the game designer than from the player." - David Cage

But yeah, I agree, that part was too much.

By having a "game over" for those characters, I mean have them get instantly killed if they're caught. Or they could have

Spoiler

let Kara and Alice be taken to the recycling center, but not actually shown us the inside. Just leave us with a scene of them getting arrested or something. Markus could still free them if he leads a violent revolution.

Kara can already get killed in almost all of her chapters anyway. Only one I can think of where she can't is the amusement park chapter.

• 10 months later...

I'm on my second playthrough now.

although i have looked up various things from a guide, I'm still early enough in my playing that I can keep experiencing new things.

my first playthrough, Connor was contentious with hank and got deactivated. I sacrificed Markus and lost the battle, Kara, Alice and Luther made it to Canada safely. I also screwed up getting the supplies with Markus.

I'm enjoying the idea of multiple playthroughs and chapter select with this game. I haven't been truly engrossed in a game in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

This game is great! So is Heavy rain and beyond two souls. I did finish all of them and I plan on going for the platinum. I first did a blind playthrough to get my own experience with all of these games. Now I'm going to do them all over again and follow a guide to get the platinum. I don't want it to ruin the story or the memories I have of the game and the feeling of the choices I made. I'm going to look at it more like work now than actually paying attention to the story and choices that I KNOW I would not make or do otherwise. 

This is the best Davide Cage's game so far, way better than Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls, which suffer from poor plot, weak pacing and sometimes bad acting. I regret going for the plats for those two games as the multiple playthroughs killed any little enjoyment that I had. 

As regards Detroit: Become Human, I enjoyed my first run, but replaying the game is just not fun for me, this plat is tedious and boring as the other titles. I also hated the 

Spoiler

Alice twist in the end

because the premises were misleading. However I enjoyed the relationship between Connor and Hank and the fact that the story has so many different choices and consequences.

Frankly, this has been the only game like this in which I truly enjoyed all the multiple playthroughs and differences between them, but that's only because I loved the game, most of the characters and the general themes and setting were right up my alley. 

Story and choice based games are inherently boring to platinum, because despite making different choices and having different outcomes, it's still like watching the same long movie a few times in quick succession. I've been putting off the Quarry, Man of Medan and a few other games because of that reason - I'm up for one playthrough, but not 2, 3 or more. Especially since it's a hit or miss genre imo and even if you like 70% of the game, you're still stuck with the shitty 30% for the next two 10 hour playthroughs. 

What these games need is a fast forward feature on scenes you've already seen that goes back to normal speed as soon as something new happens.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I know this forum topic is old, but I do agree with it but for slightly different reasons. To preface, IMO David Cage is a hack writer, all his games present really good ideas but botch the execution. They do look pretty though. For Detroit become human, The only story line I cared for was Hank and Conner (which is funny cause they were the best in spite of David Cage). Doing a more violent play-through made me more mad about the story and sad about Conner and Hank since they did not get a great ending