13-year-old kid kills entire family because of videogame (supposedly)

daniel_flavia

This is an ongoing investigation and everything are still assumptions. There's no proof that the kid did it and a series of facts stated by the police are not explained yet.

A 13-year-old kid murdered his entire family and then himself. A part of the media and religious blamed videogames after a friend of the kid, during interrogation, state that the kid wanted to be a professional killer, like the ones showed in Assassins Creed series.

Right now, in Brazil a discussion is being held wich a part, specially religious and part of media says that games are irresponsible and ultra-violent nowadays. Assassins Creed is rated 18, wich means playable for 18 year-old and older.

jogo+assassin+s+creed+game+para+playstat

Even Ubisoft has spoken, sending their respect for family and friends, but still stating that games cannot be responsible for such tragedies, as thinks like this cannot be explained so easily on blaming this or that. They finished the release thanking gamers and media who stood up to defend that games cannot be blamed for inexplicable tragedies like this.

Here's a link that I found about the tragedy in english, most of the news about it is in portuguese. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/07/brazil-shocked-child-murders-family

In my opinion games cannot be held responsible for such shocking acts, but still age restrictions can and need to be respected. If you blame games for this, you have to add movies, tv series, and a bunch of other stuff for violent behavior, wich you cannot. Parents should follow up to see what kind of content your children is getting and respect restrictions.

What do you think? Does gaming helps violent behavior?

What do you think? Does gaming helps violent behavior?

Kids and certain adults can be very impressionable, obviously you can't blame all the different entertainment mediums. But certain fucked up individuals will clearly get 'inspiration' from music, television or video games.

Edited by ToxiKirby
  • Like 1

Kids and certain adults can be very impressionable, obviously you can't blame all the different types of media out there. But certain fucked up individuals will clearly get 'inspiration' from music, television or video games.

I totally agree! Blame everything but yourself.

When will parents finally grow a pair and either take responsibility for the stuff they let their kid play/see/etc that's CLEARLY rated M or whatever, or you know, actually do some real parenting?

Or how about not letting kids with screws loose already play these types of games?

Edited by Sonic
  • Like 2

For everyone saying real parenting is not allowing your kid to play mature games under the age of 18 is wrong 

My dad from an early age let me play mature games , watch mature movies and anything else you may think of 

what's the difference ? well he was with me 

Parents need to be more aware of what their kids are doing and watching especially nowadays with the internet and all 

and i completely agree the video games are not to blame , if your going to kill your whole family it isn't because of a videogame

the kid must have had serious issues and i think it's harsh to blame media 

all of these stories never seem to blame or even acknowledge the parents ! 

And yes i will agree that since people are becoming more and more brain dead by the day the age restrictions should be followed

unless the parent is absolutely sure that their kid is mature enough

which brings me to my conclusion that it is entirely the parents fault ! because of his upbringing , Kids don't know any better and

they learn from the people around them , mainly their parents . 

• Like 4

It was bad parenting and mental health issues as well.. I played much more violent games than Assassin's Creed at that age (I played Mortal Kombat at like age 5 or something.. on the Mega Drive, blood enabled and everything) and didn't feel the need to go copying any of it..

They just want to find a way to blame video games.. they even tried to pinned the blame on CoD after that guy at the cinema came and went on a killing spree because he had posters of the guns in the game.. could be confusing that with something else, but pretty sure that was the one.

*sigh* What I dont get is how here in the US anytime a violent crime happens it is blame on video games and other forms of media but yet in places like Japan they have the same games and more there plus some darker media than there is here and they have a very low violent crime rate

In Japan they censor the blood, MGR: Revengeance, the blood was white.  They're very against any of that stuff in their games.

It was bad parenting and mental health issues as well.. I played much more violent games than Assassin's Creed at that age (I played Mortal Kombat at like age 5 or something.. on the Mega Drive, blood enabled and everything) and didn't feel the need to go copying any of it..

They just want to find a way to blame video games.. they even tried to pinned the blame on CoD after that guy at the cinema came and went on a killing spree because he had posters of the guns in the game.. could be confusing that with something else, but pretty sure that was the one.

In Japan they censor the blood, MGR: Revengeance, the blood was white.  They're very against any of that stuff in their games.

That's true but they still arent censoring the violence though

For everyone saying real parenting is not allowing your kid to play mature games under the age of 18 is wrong 

My dad from an early age let me play mature games , watch mature movies and anything else you may think of 

what's the difference ? well he was with me 

Parents need to be more aware of what their kids are doing and watching especially nowadays with the internet and all 

and i completely agree the video games are not to blame , if your going to kill your whole family it isn't because of a videogame

the kid must have had serious issues and i think it's harsh to blame media 

all of these stories never seem to blame or even acknowledge the parents ! 

And yes i will agree that since people are becoming more and more brain dead by the day the age restrictions should be followed

unless the parent is absolutely sure that their kid is mature enough

which brings me to my conclusion that it is entirely the parents fault ! because of his upbringing , Kids don't know any better and

they learn from the people around them , mainly their parents . 

Can I like this post a couple of times...also

:P.

On a more serious note, Anderson Cooper (who is one of the few reporters I actually like) did an interview with an FBI profiler and it actually brings up good points. It isn't video games/movies/tv shows/music that spawns violence but if someone is already prone to violence these forms of media could help fuel that desire.

• Like 2

I read the news and all I'd think about it... what the hell? His father teached him how to use a pistol AND he knew how to drive. 13-year old kids shouldn't have access to guns. People should really stop accusing games. He said to a friend before that he wanted to kill his family, but it's wrong to blame AC for his violent behavior. He obviously had mental issues, even if his family thought he was a normal kid, took good grades and had a lot of friends. 

Edited by dontrustme_

I have never been one to who could hear of an incident like this and blame anyone but the perpetrator. America went through this after Columbine. "It's because they listened to Marilyn Manson!" and "It's because they played DOOM." were the immediate recourse of those with a finger to point. It's more likely that these tendencies existed in the kid and that's why he enjoyed the violence of his chosen hobby, than it is that he so enjoyed the violence of his chosen hobby that he couldn't help but re-enact them in real life.

That said, I openly admit that I am not educated in the field of child psychology. I am also quite biased having played video games, watched horror movies, and listened to music of a gloomy nature for many years. Despite it all, I seem to have a much lower tolerance for human or animal suffering than many of those I am supposed to emulate and be lectured by. In the end, what we do is nobodies fault but our own, at least in my humble opinion.

Edit: At the same time, I can understand (though not concur with) the need people feel to lash out at something. The true villain has denied them the satisfaction of revenge or justice or both by taking his own life. He left a lot of people with clinched fists and nothing to punch, so they either have to open their hands or start swinging at something convenient. It's not right or helpful, but I kind of get it.

Edited by siuilarun

I read the news and all I'd think about it... what the hell? His father teached him how to use a pistol AND he knew how to drive. 13-year old kids shouldn't have access to guns. People should really stop accusing games. He said to a friend before that he wanted to kill his family, but it's wrong to blame AC for his violent behavior. He obviously had mental issues, even if his family thought he was a normal kid, took good grades and had a lot of friends. 

If there is a weapon in the house ever single person in the house should know how to use it properly and know the dangers of being careless with one. My father taught me how to shoot when I was quite a bit younger than 13 and while I've ever had to protect my own house from a break-in I was confident in my ability to do so if I ever needed to. That is one reason why there are so many gun accidents in America. People assume their children are too young to learn about guns so they don't teach them anything and then the kid finds the gun and either kills himself or one of his buddies, and the whole thing could have been easily avoided by the parent taking the time to explain the weapon to their child. 

My son is 3 years old and understands not to touch my weapon. When I'm in my uniform going to work I obviously have my duty weapon in my holster and my son has tried to reach and touch it a few times. I have explained to him (in 3 year old terms) that he isn't to touch it and some of the dangers (again, in 3 year old terms) and he hasn't tried to touch it since. 

Back to the original topic...

Parker

• Like 2

The issue is so much more than the video games themselves. Something else was going on either mentally or inside the family. Not all kids should be allowed to play mature games, it just depends on the child but I'd prefer to keep children away from such games unless I knew they could handle them. I agree with siuilarun and the comparisons they made between the shooting of Columbine and music. People jump to blaming everything but the actual problem...which is and always is what's going on inside the mind of the child/adult or inside the family. People don't go crazy because of games/movies/or music. People go crazy because they are pushed or see things in a negative mind set. This is so sad, and I do hope they rest in peace and that their family and friends will heal over time.

Also, lets face it...he had access to a gun, that was the first problem. Children should be kept away from those weapons, no matter the career of the parent.

Edited by Beauty Blade

If there is a weapon in the house ever single person in the house should know how to use it properly and know the dangers of being careless with one. My father taught me how to shoot when I was quite a bit younger than 13 and while I've ever had to protect my own house from a break-in I was confident in my ability to do so if I ever needed to. That is one reason why there are so many gun accidents in America. People assume their children are too young to learn about guns so they don't teach them anything and then the kid finds the gun and either kills himself or one of his buddies, and the whole thing could have been easily avoided by the parent taking the time to explain the weapon to their child. 

My son is 3 years old and understands not to touch my weapon. When I'm in my uniform going to work I obviously have my duty weapon in my holster and my son has tried to reach and touch it a few times. I have explained to him (in 3 year old terms) that he isn't to touch it and some of the dangers (again, in 3 year old terms) and he hasn't tried to touch it since. 

Back to the original topic...

Parker

Of course, like you said, it depends. Your father taught you how to use a weapon but also warned in what circumstances it'd be used, since it's extremely dangerous. This boy that killed his parents might have even been told about how he should handle a pistol, but since he had serious mental issues he used what his father teached against him. His parents made a mistake by letting him play games that contain violent scenes and are rated R+18. I'd never get my son near a gun. I know I won't probably own one in the future, since keeping guns at home in Brazil is illegal in most of the cases (you have to be autorized in order to do so), but if that was the case, I wouldn't teach him how to handle it because I know the risks he may be exposing himself to.

Edited by dontrustme_

There are multiple valid points in this thread. As a parent, my choice is that I do not let my small children play violent games or watch violent media. I do not even play violent games while they are in the house or awake. I believe gaming does increase a young minds capacity and perhaps imagination as worlds are opened, much like books have done for years. They do play video games because of this belief, and my hopes they can spend some fun time with dad.

Parenting is tough, and I have respect for each parent’s choice. Only the parent knows the child’s behavior patterns and personality.

I also agree with Parker. I do not keep my children in a bubble from the world. I have had guns, and am an avid sportsman. My children understand the danger of guns, and I have taught them how they can be used to protect and harvest animals. They respect the guns and they respect where the gun is pointing, and what it is pointing at.

Ultimately, my belief is that news media does a great job of taking a topic and spreading an unfortunate story. Then others that have not been taught respect (from parents or leaders) become copy cats out of the desire for attention. The blame game then begins as to why......

A child naturally desires attention, the parent chooses how to provide it.

• Like 2

I guess since i watch the news and see teens shooting people I'm going to getthe sudden rage and desire to follow their acts. UM NO. That kid obviously had something wrong with him far beyond "wanting" to be like a character in a video game. He obviously wasn't a normal kid before playing assassin's creed so the game can't be too blame.