Critique, review and a bit of a rant.

Gr4de_04

Very interesting take.

I'm playing through a racing game myself... but never really considered myself a fan in any sense other than the Mario Kart series, which is mostly because I grew up on those games.

Driveclub, as good of a racing game it is, isn't without it's share of flaws. It still suffers from a bit of rubber banding, which I absolutely hate in racing games and is one of the primary reasons why I don't go and play a lot of them.

I pretty much agree with your opinion as a whole, but something you wrote irks me a little...

3 hours ago, gamesfourever said:

The game represents itself as a reality TV show. But since it is released in early 2010 before the explosion of social media there isn't any of that garbage or reputation system with followers or whatnot (looking at you need for speed).

Definitely not true. I used MySpace, Facebook and Twitter pretty extensively during my early college years so the social media explosion was definitely there. Steve Jobs had already come out with the iPhone so social media was pretty much everywhere. It just took a long time for video games to catch up.

Video games are definitely platforms of social media now. The PS4 console is basically a social media platform, and recent games like Death Stranding are pretty much centered on social media. It's basically everywhere nowadays and it's in our everyday lives.

Need for Speed is seemingly reality TV. They have used live action for a long time now, I played Need for Speed: Undercover over a decade ago on the Xbox 360... definitely didn't have any real aspect on social media because smartphones and Facebook weren't really a thing yet.

===

I'll probably give Split/Second a pass. One thing I will say is racing games have greatly improved in their gaming mechanics. Some of the old PS2 and PS3 era racing games feel so bad and dated now it's almost impossible to not look at the glaring flaws. Definitely not worth my time playing.

The thing to be wary about is considering Split/Second is an older game, best go after the online trophies while you still can. With the Uncharted 2 & 3 server closures nothing is safe, eventually the Ubisoft games will get their servers shut. Just something to think of.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gamesfourever said:

@Spaz i meant the social media thing in relationship to videogames. Not social media itself. Sorry, i didn't made that more obvious.

Well yeah I knew that. Much of Death Stranding is basically social media within the game.

In recent years AAA games have taken to in-game advertising which I almost consider to be a part of social media. It irritates me, but that is the direction we've been heading towards.

9 hours ago, gamesfourever said:

So, I wanted to write this thread because i feel like this game, while being one of the most enjoyable racing games i played is also the most frustrating one I ever played.

Try Blur, a mix of Mario Kart with real cars, some decent mechanics and good AI,a rarity on racing games as the AI always shines on stupidity and / or cheating. Online is broken due to a abuse of one of the power ups, but the game offline is interesting. Even so they exaggerated and some of the requirements to complete the game become gimmick and not driving which is stupid overall.

I already tried Split Second,and did all online to be safe, but the game didn't seem that appealing to me.

In terms of AI I think there's nothing as broken in racing games as Criterion titles.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved Split Second when I played and platinumed it all those years ago. Its my favorite racing game of all time and I have a hard time imagining any will surpass it. The level events are so cool. 

I don't really understand the problem with rubber banding in racing games. It forces you to actually drive well for the entire race instead of just crashing through everyone on the first corner and automatically winning like what happens when you race online. Also, if you happen to crash, rubber banding is what helps you catch back up instead of having to just restart the whole race.

I always wished for a sequel to this but I guess that's never happening. Since remasters are such a thing this gen (still!!) I guess I can hope for one of those maybe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gamesfourever said:

Lastly, I just want to mention Detonator events real quick. these are fair for the most part. But the ones you have to do on the Power Plant track are a fucking nightmare.

I played this game many years ago on PC. And I definitely remember being stuck on some time trial on a track that sounds like this one, lol. I don't remember if I beat it, though. One more track that was giving me trouble, I think, was the dam one.

But I remember enjoying Split/Second very much. I don't think I noticed any of the problems mention above back then. But again, it was long time ago (probably, the year it came out). So my opinion could have been different if I played it yesterday, for example.

Just now, yowzagabowza said:

I always wished for a sequel to this but I guess that's never happening. Since remasters are such a thing this gen (still!!) I guess I can hope for one of those maybe.

Black Rock Studio shut down in 2011 and Disney Interactive Studios shut down in 2016. If the new Disney videogame divison decides to remaster this game, they will probably have a lot of hoops to jump through to make it.

But yeah, I miss this game, too. And I miss arcade-style racing games in general. I think this genre is half-dead in 2020. Evolution studios (who made Motorstorm) was closed, Criterion Games is a shadow of it's former self (most Burnout creators left the studio long time ago to make indie titles), NFS games have been mediocre for years. The only arcade racing game that looks interesting to me now is Forza: Horizon 4 and it's not even on PlayStation. Other than that, there are only racing simulators like Gran Turismo, GRID and Dirt Rally (I like them too, but slightly less).

Edited by Alderriz

1 hour ago, Alderriz said:

I played this game many years ago on PC. And I definitely remember being stuck on some time trial on a track that sounds like this one, lol. I don't remember if I beat it, though. One more track that was giving me trouble, I think, was the dam one.

But I remember enjoying Split/Second very much. I don't think I noticed any of the problems mention above back then. But again, it was long time ago (probably, the year it came out). So my opinion could have been different if I played it yesterday, for example.

Black Rock Studio shut down in 2011 and Disney Interactive Studios shut down in 2016. If the new Disney videogame divison decides to remaster this game, they will probably have a lot of hoops to jump through to make it.

But yeah, I miss this game, too. And I miss arcade-style racing games in general. I think this genre is half-dead in 2020. Evolution studios (who made Motorstorm) was closed, Criterion Games is a shadow of it's former self (most Burnout creators left the studio long time ago to make indie titles), NFS games have been mediocre for years. The only arcade racing game that looks interesting to me now is Forza: Horizon 4 and it's not even on PlayStation. Other than that, there are only racing simulators like Gran Turismo, GRID and Dirt Rally (I like them too, but slightly less).

Y'know what game ended up being fun? Onrush. 

Its not really a racing game in the traditional sense, but it takes the funnest part of racing, fighting through the pack, and makes that the whole game. I can see why it was tough to market because it's really hard to describe, but I actually enjoyed the gameplay.

Edit: Those two time trials that were mentioned were tough but fair. 

Edited by yowzagabowza
  • Like 1

Just now, yowzagabowza said:

Y'know what game ended up being fun? Onrush. 

Its not really a racing game in the traditional sense, but it takes the funnest part of racing, fighting through the pack, and makes that the whole game. I can see why it was tough to market because it's really hard to describe, but I actually enjoyed the gameplay.

I watched the trailers of this game before it came out, it looked fun. Sadly, I didn't hear anything about it after launch until it came with PS+.

I'll check it out when I get a PS4.

3 hours ago, Alderriz said:

I watched the trailers of this game before it came out, it looked fun. Sadly, I didn't hear anything about it after launch until it came with PS+.

I'll check it out when I get a PS4.

I didn't play it til it was on Plus. (It was actually the only game I took all year! )

Some trophies can be a pain but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the game.

• 2 years later...
On 1.3.2020 at 2:10 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Well yeah I knew that. Much of Death Stranding is basically social media within the game.

In recent years AAA games have taken to in-game advertising which I almost consider to be a part of social media. It irritates me, but that is the direction we've been heading towards.

I think burnout 3 from the mid-2000s had Gillette ads in game, so that isnt very new either

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2020 at 10:36 AM, yowzagabowza said:

I don't really understand the problem with rubber banding in racing games. It forces you to actually drive well for the entire race instead of just crashing through everyone on the first corner and automatically winning like what happens when you race online.

That's true for some racing games but not this one. The better you drive the more it punishes you to the point where it leads to very unfair circumstances stacked against you because of the overaggressive rubberbanding implemented here. It makes for a fun experience as you can't just dominate with good driving skills but it can get frustrating quick when you feel like you constantly have to be perfect AND get lucky at the same time because of the way the Power Play mechanic is which can lead to many unfortunate and practically completely unavoidable crashes which ultimately leads to many more re-do's of races than what should be necessary.

Still a lot of fun though, just the strategy kinda has as much of a luck factor to it as it does skill. 

• Like 1