Not worth trying to platinum

damilesman

I've only played zero, kiwami, kiwami 2 and 3, but so far Yakuza 3 easily has the hardest minigames out of all of them, and even then only pool stood out as being the most brutal. The batting cages would have been brutal too if I didnt use part of a post it note as my crosshair in ex-hard difficulty, but it only took about an hour to complete all the batting cages. Outside of expert ai pool nothing else stands out. Colisseum battles, legend mode, and the climax battles (called ultimate challenges in this game) didnt take much effort at all, and has been the easiest out of all of them. Even the battle with Amon was a cakewalk and I beat him on my first try, compared to having to go through multiple attempts to beat him in the other games. I still had most of my healing items too.

All of this was playing on hard mode on my first playthrough too. Enemies blocked A LOT, but it became easier to deal with them as I unlocked more moves.

I thought the platinum being at 7% seemed too high at first, but it really is one of the easier Yakuza games to platinum. Or maybe I've just become so familiar with the series now that I know what to expect and it only seems easier due to my experience. Probably a bit of both.

tl;dr: if you can beat pool and batting cages, you can complete the rest of the game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 8:42 AM, Snake_1302 said:

I've only played zero, kiwami, kiwami 2 and 3, but so far Yakuza 3 easily has the hardest minigames out of all of them, and even then only pool stood out as being the most brutal. The batting cages would have been brutal too if I didnt use part of a post it note as my crosshair in ex-hard difficulty, but it only took about an hour to complete all the batting cages. Outside of expert ai pool nothing else stands out. Colisseum battles, legend mode, and the climax battles (called ultimate challenges in this game) didnt take much effort at all, and has been the easiest out of all of them. Even the battle with Amon was a cakewalk and I beat him on my first try, compared to having to go through multiple attempts to beat him in the other games. I still had most of my healing items too.

All of this was playing on hard mode on my first playthrough too. Enemies blocked A LOT, but it became easier to deal with them as I unlocked more moves.

I thought the platinum being at 7% seemed too high at first, but it really is one of the easier Yakuza games to platinum. Or maybe I've just become so familiar with the series now that I know what to expect and it only seems easier due to my experience. Probably a bit of both.

tl;dr: if you can beat pool and batting cages, you can complete the rest of the game.

I put headphones on with music and knocked out batting (and the substory) in about an hour--oddly enough, the hardest one for me was easy for some reason, which I gave up on and finished last, while the hardest cage only took four tries to get the routine down. Darts was giving me more of a headache, but even then, I think it only took about an hour to nail down at both locations, and pool -- which I was dreading the most -- finished up really quickly just because I seemed to be getting lucky; I finished 9-Ball on Advanced on my second try out of sheer blind luck. The few gambling things I have left to do, I'm not even worried about struggling with; I'm saving Mahjong completion for last, even, because I actually enjoy it.

The one that's getting me, though, is golf... I can't stand it! It's the only one that might end up being a platinum blocker for me, and I hate that I can't even finish the substories because golf is required to unlock one of them. I don't know what it is, but it just will not click for me, and even when I'm lucky enough to land near the hole on a first shot, I end up going way over par because the putting is utterly atrocious and feels wildly RNG/out of my control, which then makes the whole thing a waste of time. I'm at a loss!

• 2 weeks later...

I found that pool easier than Rotation in Kiwami, that shit made me hate Haruka forever.

The Aqua Sky theme makes this mini game so relaxing, I didn't even care when I lost some matches.

Took me 3 hours to complete the expert levels in all modes.

I think pool is not too hard compared to golf and batting.

Edited by MegaMegu__
Aqua Sky theme is an absolute banger!

• 6 months later...
On 24/04/2020 at 7:52 PM, oni_spawn said:

I plat yakuza 3 in ps3 and i Enjoyed every minute of it. If it's the same i don't think am going to have hard time with it. 

Mahjong is the real problem with me 

That 50 k was a pain to get, but thanks to that I became a better mahjong player. When I got it I had a haneman and a baiman and finish with 70 k. I’m still had to do the exposed dragon trophy for the win with the open hand 

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2020 at 8:34 PM, damilesman said:

This topic is to warn people who are considering going after the platinum for this game.  It's just not worth it.  Somehow, they screwed up the pool minigame to the point where it is virtually impossible to win.  About a quarter of the time, the cue ball will randomly decide not to follow the trajectory that is shown.  I've spent dozens of hours trying to complete this one minigame, but unless you read trigonometry books for fun, you're going to have a hard time.

I almost did the whole pool part without the ruler method. The only time I had to use a ruler was for the hardest opponent. It doable. 

30 minutes ago, Dr__Hennessy said:

I almost did the whole pool part without the ruler method. The only time I had to use a ruler was for the hardest opponent. It doable. 

well i didn't use a ruler or anything fancy and below is me doing it 2 years ago....definitely doable with some practice

• Like 1

Wow, the memories. This platinum is hard as hell, ngl. I usually don't hunt platinums that are aggravatingly hard, but I fell in love with this franchise so much, I told myself I wanted to 100%/platinum all of them, at least until the 6th included (I love brawlers way more than rpgs, so I'm not so interested in Like a dragon). I think this could be a 7/10 in difficulty, the minigames will hunt you in your dreams and will devour your heart and mind until you get it. Some people meet their pain in golf, others in billiards,  in my case it was baseball, I swear this was the game that made me think if I wasn't already too old for this crap. But I love so much these games... in the end, it paid off. This is the ultimate experience in plat hunting in the yakuza saga. If you can get this platinum, you can get the others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm dreading this trophy list, Yakuza 3 was my first Yakuza game I played back in the day and absolutely took a toll on me with the minigames, 10 years later I'm back here with the remaster version, with much more experience from the previous game, wish me luck lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Everybody makes this game seem like absolute hell, and it really isn't. It's worth getting the platinum. Nothing is more difficult than any of the other Yakuza games. The worst part of 3 is the blocking, which just gets super old, and the RNG (the same RNG that plagues every Yakuza game).

Pool and Darts in this game were trivial once you get the hang/feel of it, just like in every other Yakuza game. The only tough part of pool was the opponent on expert, only because he had the capability to sink all balls without you even taking a turn: 

But I've said it once and I'll say it again, that kind of shit isn't true difficulty. It's all based on how much time you have to throw at the game, and if you can wait out the RNG to tip in your favor. 

For pool, you definitely have to hone your pool touch to make your shots, but I think the natural gimmicky nature of Yakuza minigames, plus RNG on the enemy side, ends up blandly exacerbating the time-sink and amount of retries needed.

I say blandly because I "beat" expert 8-ball by retrying for an hour during work, and eventually winning because the opponent straight pocketed the 8 ball mid game for the L. Had he done that my very first match, I'd have saved an hour of my time.

But it's just weird because the AI literally has the capacity to calculate and make ANY shot, even if it has 6 bounces, it lines it up perfectly and executes... It's just RNG whether it decides to miss a shot to let you win, or miss 4 shots to let you win, or just wipe you, which can make it take an hour, or a day, and that sucks. But there's definitely worse, just curse the devs and get your trophy.

Yakuza 3 is well worth the platinum. It's just A LOT LESS refined than it's newer predecessors (Y0-YK2).