DaRe

Wii U?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get it?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
    • Not if my life depended on it!

Nope, not even thinking about getting it. After the huge disappointments that are the Wii and 3DS, I have lost my faith in Nintendo. It may turn out to be decent, but I'm not gonna let Nintendo get my money again for a sub-par product.

Parker

Man...I bought my WIi before I bought my PS3 and now it just sits in a corner collecting dust. Like Parker, I've lost a lot of faith in Nintendo and their products - the most I can promise them is that I'll wait a few years, look at the available products and the price, and make a decision then. Definitely won't be getting it launch day and will be selling my Wii pretty soon.

Man...I bought my WIi before I bought my PS3 and now it just sits in a corner collecting dust. Like Parker, I've lost a lot of faith in Nintendo and their products - the most I can promise them is that I'll wait a few years, look at the available products and the price, and make a decision then. Definitely won't be getting it launch day and will be selling my Wii pretty soon.

yeah Nintendo was better 10-15 years ago imo.

Nope, not even thinking about getting it. After the huge disappointments that are the Wii and 3DS, I have lost my faith in Nintendo. It may turn out to be decent, but I'm not gonna let Nintendo get my money again for a sub-par product.

Parker

was the 3DS that bad? i heard people saying they were going to get it and i kept saying i was going to get the PSV.

The 3DS isn't bad, but it isn't really an improvement from the DS, other than the tacked on, gimmicky 3D. Another bad move on Nintendo's part is the absolutely atrocious launch titles they put out. Not one game has interested me in the least (other than Harvest Moon which isn't out yet, and will be available for the regular DS as well) and the "big" games the 3DS is supposed to get are just remakes of older Nintendo games.

The PlayStation Vita already trumps the 3DS in every way, especially value seeing as they're both $250. Nintendo is relying on all their fanboys (I hate using that term) to buy anything they release which has worked up until this point, but Sony is really raising the bar in the handheld market and Nintendo are either going to have to make another system or accept being number 2 (sales wise, I still maintain the original PSP was better than the DS) in the handheld market after all these years.

Parker

I think Nintendo have fucked up with this one. There are so many variables involved that point towards disaster... One WiiU controller per console? Yeah, that's going to work. Plus, have you seen the controller?

E3-2011-The-Wii-U-Controller-1070486.jpg

Check out where the analogue sticks are positioned... Above the face buttons. Recipe for disaster imo.

Also... who the fuck wants to look at their controller when they're playing a console game?

I seriously doubt success for Ninty on this generation.

I think Nintendo have fucked up with this one. There are so many variables involved that point towards disaster... One WiiU controller per console? Yeah, that's going to work. Plus, have you seen the controller?

E3-2011-The-Wii-U-Controller-1070486.jpg

Check out where the analogue sticks are positioned... Above the face buttons. Recipe for disaster imo.

Also... who the fuck wants to look at their controller when they're playing a console game?

I seriously doubt success for Ninty on this generation.

Oh how I wish that were true, but I foresee this thing selling like hotcakes just because it's the next "new" Nintendo product. I hope Nintendo get the kick in the ass they need and build an actual console that the "hardcore" (I hate using that term) fan base wants to use. They need to stop screwing their old fans over by bringing all this gimmicky crap out, and take some chances by developing new IP's or hell, a system up to the standards set by Sony and Microsoft this generation. Releasing a new system 6 years after the PS3 and telling everyone "it should be at least as powerful as the PS3" is absolutely pathetic. This system should be triple the power of the PS3, because when Microsoft and Sony release their new systems Nintendo will be massively outdated...again.

Parker

This pile of dirt will sell respectably, though not as well as the Wii has, and everyone will praise it for its supposed "innovation" despite it being a pile of crap.

I'm not sure. I'm expecting a lot of backlash against Nintendo next generation for concentrating too much on useless gimmicks instead of trying to come through with some actually decent gaming experiences that don't rely on their mascots. I think they're trying to push technology in the wrong direction. We're at the stage now where controller 'innovation' isn't really necessary. I mean, I'd be quite happy to play with a Dual Shock in my hands for the rest of my life.

I'm not sure. I'm expecting a lot of backlash against Nintendo next generation for concentrating too much on useless gimmicks instead of trying to come through with some actually decent gaming experiences that don't rely on their mascots. I think they're trying to push technology in the wrong direction. We're at the stage now where controller 'innovation' isn't really necessary. I mean, I'd be quite happy to play with a Dual Shock in my hands for the rest of my life.

I don't know. Every article I've read about the Wii U has had raving fanboys defending Nintendo's every decision in the comments section. Honestly, I fully expect people to buy this by the boatload and like the Wii, eventually be disappointed by the lack of worthy games coming out for it.

I hope this is a massive failure for Nintendo, because they need a kick in the ass to get back in gear. They used to be a fantastic company and I'd hate to see them go down the road of one of my other favorite console developers, Sega. If the Wii U doesn't sell well (like the 3DS hasn't, and sales will continue to plummet once the Vita is actually released) I hope Nintendo will pick up where they left off with the GameCube and have an actual decent controller with some good, core games. Nintendo really needs third party support to win back the hearts of gamers. People can only take so much Mario, Link and Samus, no matter how good the games are.

Parker

Ah, but we are gamers, and the people that will buy the Wii U are non-gamers, same as the Wii - unless they're scared off by the price and stupid controller... I can but hope.

Ah, but we are gamers, and the people that will buy the Wii U are non-gamers, same as the Wii - unless they're scared off by the price and stupid controller... I can but hope.

According to Nintendo, with the Wii U they are targeting the "core" gamers with more single player experiences hence the "U." So it seems to me that Nintendo are now trying to target the actual gamers who are sick of their shenanigans and won't buy the system, and the non-gamers won't be interested in the system either, so it looks like Nintendo is screwed.

Parker

so basically the Wii U is focusing more for the opposite audience? i want to see how that turns out

Pretty much. From what I gather, they're trying to get the "core" market back. The problem with that is the vast majority of "core" gamers were left disgusted with Nintendo after they released the Wii and continued to pump shovelware out, and now they're making another gimmicky system that won't appeal to the casual gamers and they'll have to really, really prove themselves to make the "core" gamers get on board again. But, Nintendo are saying the Wii U "SHOULD" be at least as powerful as the PS3, a system that came out what, 5-6 years ago? The Wii U NEEDS to be way more powerful than the PS3 in order for it to succeed, or what's the point in buying it? It will have less 3rd party games, worse online, awful controller, but hey, at least some of the 1st party titles will look good. ;)

Nintendo messed up this generation. The 3DS has been selling terribly, the PS Vita is about to be released at the same price point, but with way more features. Now, they're trying to release a system with specs barely better than what we have now, so when Microsoft and Sony release their new systems, Nintendo will yet again be a generation behind.

Still, after all that I expect Nintendo new system to sell really well. Nintendo fanboys are the worst ones out there. They have no real competition so they constantly have to make excuses why the Wii is the best system out there. I'm fairly certain Nintendo could put a turd in a bag, stamp Mario's name on it, give it a fairly clever name with 3D stamped on the end and it would sell like hotcakes. Damn, I should work for Nintendo, I would make them million of dollars. :lol:

Parker

Yay, Sony FTW ^_^

i might sell some of my DS games if no one wants them to buy more PS3 games or save up for the PSV, but im mot spending money for anything Nintendo anymore

Depends what DS games you have - if you've got Radiant Historia, or any other niche RPGs that weren't released in the EU, I'd love to grab that stuff off you. ;)

I definitely won't be getting one, the whole thing just seems really gimmicky to me.

For next generation, Nintendo don't even get a second look from me. I'll most likely be getting the next PlayStation console, unless Microsoft impress me - in which case I'll get both.

When I move into my new place next year and have a steady source of income, I think I'll buy one. I like fire trucks.

lol Kiwi, i don't think you will be able to afford one xD