Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (November 12, 2020)

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I feel like the new face looks better graphically (might just be a result of it being a remaster but still), and fits the voice better.  At least from what I can tell in that short clip.  He definitely looks younger and I'm not sure how awkward that'll be, but I'll reserve my judgement for after re-playing the remaster myself.

The old face always felt a little off... for lack of a better way to describe it.

If I was working as a bartender and I saw a 23 year old guy who looked like this new Peter Parker, I would of had him kicked out.

The closest comparison is how I saw how Disney Channel marketed their young stars. They made them look remarkably younger than they actually were. To a degree, people nowadays in Hollywood look younger and more soft than they ever did in the past. Whether that is due to modern medicine, or them exercising and eating healthy, I don't know.

Peter Parker in the game is in his early 20s and done with college. I know because in the game you have to go to a college party as part of the main story, and there is a sidequest where you have to help out a college student. The new Peter looks like he is just 15 - 16 years old, and is typical of what today's high school kids look like. He is just too soft. Compared to Batman/Bruce Wayne in Batman: Arkham Knight and Kratos in God of War 2018, he looks far too cuddly. He is a product of today's 'soy boy'.

People are going to attack me here for "You haven't played the remaster", "You can't judge a book by it's cover", yadda yadda yadda. Because story driven AAA games are a big thing still, appearances still matter more or less. It's a remaster, it's very much playing the same missions and doing all the sidequests over again just like you guys did in the original game.

I often get told at 32 years old that I look young for my age by my friends and co-workers when I still had a job. I remember when I was 23 years old and I STILL looked older than this new Peter. This would be if Ellie from The Last of Us Part II was suddenly made more like she looked in the original Last of Us. Or making Clementine look a lot younger for the final season of The Walking Dead.

He's a goddamn kid. If this post offended anyone, then I'm sorry for being butthurt. He looks like he better represents the 'play it safe', 'can't task risks' type who is a bit feminine. Doesn't looked rugged at all. I'm not criticizing the graphics, because they look sharp and crisp. I'm criticizing his facial appearance because I sure as hell wouldn't offer him an alcoholic drink at a bar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

If I was working as a bartender and I saw a 23 year old guy who looked like this new Peter Parker, I would of had him kicked out.

The closest comparison is how I saw how Disney Channel marketed their young stars. They made them look remarkably younger than they actually were. To a degree, people nowadays in Hollywood look younger and more soft than they ever did in the past. Whether that is due to modern medicine, or them exercising and eating healthy, I don't know.

Peter Parker in the game is in his early 20s and done with college. I know because in the game you have to go to a college party as part of the main story, and there is a sidequest where you have to help out a college student. The new Peter looks like he is just 15 - 16 years old, and is typical of what today's high school kids look like. He is just too soft. Compared to Batman/Bruce Wayne in Batman: Arkham Knight and Kratos in God of War 2018, he looks far too cuddly. He is a product of today's 'soy boy'.

People are going to attack me here for "You haven't played the remaster", "You can't judge a book by it's cover", yadda yadda yadda. Because story driven AAA games are a big thing still, appearances still matter more or less. It's a remaster, it's very much playing the same missions and doing all the sidequests over again just like you guys did in the original game.

I often get told at 32 years old that I look young for my age by my friends and co-workers when I still had a job. I remember when I was 23 years old and I STILL looked older than this new Peter. This would be if Ellie from The Last of Us Part II was suddenly made more like she looked in the original Last of Us. Or making Clementine look a lot younger for the final season of The Walking Dead.

He's a goddamn kid. If this post offended anyone, then I'm sorry for being butthurt. He looks like he better represents the 'play it safe', 'can't task risks' type who is a bit feminine. Doesn't looked rugged at all. I'm not criticizing the graphics, because they look sharp and crisp. I'm criticizing his facial appearance because I sure as hell wouldn't offer him an alcoholic drink at a bar.

I mean, the old face model didn't exactly look "rugged" either. xD  He looked closer to the right age I guess but that's about it.

I think you're kinda going overboard a little, I'm in my 30's and people constantly think I'm in my mid 20's.  When I was in my 20's people thought I was in my teens.  I'd get carded buying R-rated movies.  People can look young, it's not completely unrealistic that this version of Peter is 20-something.  It's a stark difference between the two though, and it'll just be a matter of getting used to it IMO.  Nothing to get too upset over at least.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I mean, the old face model didn't exactly look "rugged" either. xD  He looked closer to the right age I guess but that's about it.

I think you're kinda going overboard a little, I'm in my 30's and people constantly think I'm in my low 20's.  When I was in my 20's people thought I was in my teens.  I'd get carded buying R-rated movies.  People can look young, it's not completely unrealistic that this version of Peter is 20-something.  It's a stark difference between the two though, and it'll just be a matter of getting used to it IMO.  Nothing to get too upset over at least.

I've seen guys aged 40 who look like they're barely 25 - 26 years of age, so we're not the first people to look young.

He looks too soft. I picture Hannah Montana when it was popular back in the late 2000s. He would be a perfect fit for that show.

Modern medicine and exercise has enabled us to look younger. Hulk Hogan in his 30s looked like a guy in his mid 40s, same with Ultimate Warrior. Probably all the drugs they popped and steroids they taken, the 1980s and 1990s was still a time when the drug culture was largely prevalent. High school kids also smoked a lot more back then.

Nowadays I look at somebody like Ellen DeGeneres, she easily looks like she can pass for 10 - 15 years younger than she actually is. The stars of old looked old largely because of their excessive use of smoking, not getting any exercise, and living a bit of a hard life.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

He looks too soft. I picture Hannah Montana when it was popular back in the late 2000s. He would be a perfect fit for that show.

Modern medicine and exercise has enabled us to look younger. Hulk Hogan in his 30s looked like a guy in his mid 40s, same with Ultimate Warrior. Probably all the drugs they popped and steroids they taken, the 1980s and 1990s was still a time when the drug culture was largely prevalent. High school kids also smoked a lot more back then.

We get it, he looks young.  I'm not going to pretend I can change your mind. :D

But when people say about playing the remaster before judging, it's not because the game is going to be different.  It's about giving this new Peter Parker more than a 15 second clip before deciding it absolutely doesn't work.

Seeing him more in the world, and with other characters, and in different contexts, may surprise you.

Edited by Dreakon13

6 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

We get it, he looks young.  I'm not going to pretend I can change your mind. :D

But when people say about playing the remaster before judging, it's not because the game is going to be different.  It's about giving this new Peter Parker more than a 15 second clip before deciding it absolutely doesn't work.

The remaster is basically more of the same we got with the original game. I just don't see the point. If I can't play the original Marvel's Spider-Man on the PS5, then I definitely know this was just a cheap tactic to make more money.

For all the criticism I've said about Microsoft, I can actually commend them on a few things because Sony has sat on top of that pile of gold for far too long now. There's practically no competition anymore. I'm already going off base here.

But whatever. I'm not going to bother responding to any more of your points because we clearly don't see things eye to eye. In short, he looks like a kid, and that's all I'm going to say from here on out. Agree to disagree.

Edited by Spaz

8 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The remaster is basically more of the same we got with the original game. I just don't see the point. If I can't play the original Marvel's Spider-Man on the PS5, then I definitely know this was just a cheap tactic to make more money.

Isn't it common knowledge at this point that PS4 games will be backwards compatible?

I'm not saying you have to play the remaster, if you don't see the point then you probably shouldn't.  But you seem to have VERY strong opinions about this, and especially since it's such a large change to the main character in the original, it probably requires a little more time and context to adjust to.  Something you aren't willing to give it... but as such you should probably just concede to that instead of getting madder and madder about it.

Edited by Dreakon13

It's weird how in Australia the PS4 version of this game is like 30 bucks cheaper than the PS5 version when the PS4 version already comes with a free PS5 upgrade. Why else would you buy the PS5 version if you can get it through the free upgrade from the cheaper PS4 version?

Edited by PostGameBlues

3 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

It's weird how in Australia the PS4 version of this game is like 30 bucks cheaper than the PS5 version when the PS4 version already comes with a free PS5 upgrade. Why else would you buy the PS5 version if you can get it through the free upgrade from the cheaper PS4 version?

With the PS4 version, you get to upgrade to Miles Morales (PS5) for free, but you don't get Spider-Man remastered.

The PS5 version (Ultimate Edition) is more expensive because Spider-Man remastered is included.

AFpuvQe.png 

Edited by Ghost

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

With the PS4 version, you get to upgrade to Miles Morales (PS5) for free, but you don't get Spider-Man remastered.

The PS5 version (Ultimate Edition) is more expensive because Spider-Man remastered is included.

AFpuvQe.png 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/?q=miles morales&hPP=36&idx=shopify_products&p=0

JB Hifi listed Miles Morales for PS4 as just $79 (and most likely will bump it down to $69 near release as JB usually does with their triple A games), while the PS5 version as $94. Not talking about Ultimate Edition but just the standalone standard edition of the game. It doesn't make sense why you'd choose the PS5 version if you can get it for cheaper by buying the PS4 version.

Edited by PostGameBlues

3 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

JB Hifi listed Miles Morales for PS4 as just $79, while the PS5 version as $94. Not talking about Ultimate Edition but just the standalone game. It doesn't make sense why you'd choose the PS5 version if you can get it for cheaper by buying the PS4 version.

My fault, I should've asked you from which store as I checked EBGames. Agreed, best to just pre-order from them, then :) 

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

My fault, I should've asked you from which store as I checked EBGames. Agreed, best to just pre-order from them, then :) 

Hopefully JB also makes their PS5 games lower than EB Games lol. Highly unlikely at this point but maybe when the PS5 has been out for a while they can figure out a lower price point that is both competitive and doesnt lose them that much profit. 

13 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

Hopefully JB also makes their PS5 games lower than EB Games lol. Highly unlikely at this point but maybe when the PS5 has been out for a while they can figure out a lower price point that is both competitive and doesnt lose them that much profit. 

Yeah, I don't see EBGames doing that.

But this is interesting - on JB, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Watch Dogs: Legion, and Dirt 5 for example are cheaper on PS4, and those are free PS5 upgrades. 

23 hours ago, Vivis_apprentice said:

Cheers, will buy the standard edition then!

You can upgrade it by buying the upgrade option on the PSN store.

Anyone know if the PS4 and PS5 version will share a same trophy list or seperate trophy list? Would make more sense to get the PS4 version first then get the free upgrade if there are two different lists.

Edited by KHDelBoy

Glad Miles Morales is a stand alone.  Because I'd like at least a full Peter Parker trilogy,  before handing the web shooters over to someone else.

As far as the new face for Peter, I don't really care too much.  My issue is... if you are looking for a good face match for Yuri... why not just actually use Yuri and de-age him?  So odd. 

Edited by NxtDoc
Spell check
  • Like 1