A Question About Regions

Hi! One of my favorite games has had its DLC delisted in my home region of North America. I was told I could still buy it from the UK store, however. I would like to know something before I do this. If I download DLC from the UK and play it to obtain my missing DLC trophies on my North American account, would this be considered illegitimate playing and therefore cheating since it is delisted in North America? I certainly don't want to cheat or be seen as a cheater, but not having 100% on this game just because the game is delisted when I could very well earn them legitimately if I played is making me nuts. For the record, I do own the game's North American version and have obtained various trophies on it legitimately. Cheating is the last thing I want on my PSNP record, so I was worried that my game might be flagged if I did this. Can anyone let me know before I make this purchase?

Just now, woggly4 said:

Playing a game from a different region than your account isn't considered cheating.

Thank you so much! :)

1 minute ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Well it won't be cheating as you are still playing the game. People double/triple plat games all the times from other regions.

What game is it? Does it have multiple trophy lists?

It's Dante's Inferno. I'm super close to the Platinum, but Trials of St. Lucia was delisted in North America.

4 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Thank you so much! :)

It's Dante's Inferno. I'm super close to the Platinum, but Trials of St. Lucia was delisted in North America.

Well it only had 1 trophy list so it should work...but I have never done it before so I can't say for sure.

Playing games from other regions isn't cheating, period. That's on the rules. Both Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 can play physical and digital games from other regions since most of them are region free (Very few exceptions). So, buying a game with EU PSN account and playing on a US account is possible, same as importing a physical game from Japan and playing on your EU or US account.

That said, you might want to check on this: If the DLC is available on another region but not yours, check if it's compatible with the version of the game you own: most of the time it won't be compatible and can lead to wasting money. If the DLC is not compatible, best course of action would be to buy both DLC and base game (Gold/GOTY/Ultimate editions) from another region so it works correctly. Also, check if the game has different trophy lists for different regions. For example, Final Fantasy XV has different trophy lists for it's NA/EU/CN/JP versions, so it wouldn't help in your case of missing DLC trophies from the first trophy list.

EDIT 1: Just read above about the game being Dante's Inferno: It has only one trophy list https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/246-dantes-inferno

Can also check if DLC is compatible between regions.

EDIT 2: Just checked the codes between the two versions, don't seem to be compatible, would suggest buying this https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0006-NPEB00548_00-PDANTESINX000001

It comes with base game and all DLC.

Edited by Otonio_Bruno
Adding info.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

Playing games from other regions isn't cheating, period. That's on the rules. Both Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 can play physical and digital games from other regions since most of them are region free (Very few exceptions). So, buying a game with EU PSN account and playing on a US account is possible, same as importing a physical game from Japan and playing on your EU or US account.

That said, you might want to check on this: If the DLC is available on another region but not yours, check if it's compatible with the version of the game you own: most of the time it won't be compatible and can lead to wasting money. If the DLC is not compatible, best course of action would be to buy both DLC and base game (Gold/GOTY/Ultimate editions) from another region so it works correctly. Also, check if the game has different trophy lists for different regions. For example, Final Fantasy XV has different trophy lists for it's NA/EU/CN/JP versions, so it wouldn't help in your case of missing DLC trophies from the first trophy list.

That is massively helpful! Thank you so much!

@Otonio_Bruno It's not letting me install the digital game because of system storage issues. Apparently, I need twice as much space as the game requires in order to get it installed and I've already deleted everything I can delete. However, it's possible to buy UK region physical games at Amazon. If I got the physical UK copy, would it work in my NA PS3?

1 minute ago, Kristen Danielle said:

@Otonio_Bruno It's not letting me install the digital game because of system storage issues. Apparently, I need twice as much space as the game requires in order to get it installed and I've already deleted everything I can delete. However, it's possible to buy UK region physical games at Amazon. If I got the physical UK copy, would it work in my NA PS3?

With the exception of Persona 4: Golden, all PS3 games are region free but the DLCs aren't in the majority of cases :). Also, the "I need twice as much space as the game requires in order to get it installed" bit, applies to all games, patches and DLCs you install on your system therefore if you have a 50gb game, you will need 100gb of free space to install everything. If there are any patches, then you have to factor them into the equation as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

With the exception of Persona 4: Golden, all PS3 games are region free but the DLCs aren't in the majority of cases :). Also, the "I need twice as much space as the game requires in order to get it installed" bit, applies to all games, patches and DLCs you install on your system therefore if you have a 50gb game, you will need 100gb of free space to install everything. If there are any patches, then you have to factor them into the equation as well.

learn something new everyday. i had no idea you needed twice the space. 

18 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Thank you! I have discovered that I own the PS3 Slim 12 GB model, unfortunately. I'm not confident enough to take the machine apart to put storage in it, so I've downloaded the UK Trials of St. Lucia onto the system and I'm purchasing a physical UK copy of the game to go with it. I have enough space for the game itself, but not enough to install it. Hopefully, I'll knock this one off of the backlog by the end of next month.

6 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Thank you! I have discovered that I own the PS3 Slim 12 GB model, unfortunately. I'm not confident enough to take the machine apart to put storage in it, so I've downloaded the UK Trials of St. Lucia onto the system and I'm purchasing a physical UK copy of the game to go with it. I have enough space for the game itself, but not enough to install it. Hopefully, I'll knock this one off of the backlog by the end of next month.

If you have the 12gb slim model, you will have hard times installing some digital games since, as others said, some games are bigger than 6gb and then you have to consider patches, saves, dlcs, a little of the memory reserved for the system and so on. You can buy some external HD, substitute the internal hd with it and boost your memory by a significant amount. There are good tutorials on YouTube

Edited by ddrakner

1 minute ago, ddrakner said:

If you have the 12gb slim model, you will have hard times installing some digital games since, as others said, some games are bigger than 6gb and then you have to consider patches, saves, dlcs, a little of the memory reserved for the system and so on. No need to operate on your ps3, you can buy some external HD, easily connect to ps3 and boost your memory by a significant amount. There are good tutorials on YouTube

Awesome. Thank you! I think I will probably do that if I start wanting to go back to the PS3 for more than just this one game.

-forget what I said-

Checking better, seems that the only way to boost memory is to substitute the internal hd with an external hd. Still there are good tutorials on the youtube on how to do it

Edited by ddrakner
Wrong infos

• 2 weeks later...
On 29-6-2020 at 6:07 AM, Kristen Danielle said:

Awesome. Thank you! I think I will probably do that if I start wanting to go back to the PS3 for more than just this one game.

It is really easy to put in a HDD into the 12 GB as well because the HDD slot is empty. It means it is simply opening the slot and putting in the drive. Not remove anything. But I believe you also need to buy a mounting bracket. It has been a long time since I did it, but I think I needed one. It is really cheap though. It is this thing according to my Amazon history.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-Replacement-Drive-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B009CV1OVC

Edited by JoniP

On 6/29/2020 at 0:18 AM, ddrakner said:

-forget what I said-

Checking better, seems that the only way to boost memory is to substitute the internal hd with an external hd. Still there are good tutorials on the youtube on how to do it

Well, unless you're going to buy a lot of games with one 2TB internal hard drive it's enough, but as previous member said you need to buy a mounting bracket also for the 12gb model.

At this point I haven't found a digital game from one region that allow dlc from other region, the best it's to purchase a complete edition/bundle because these usually install the other content automatically.

39 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

Well, unless you're going to buy a lot of games with one 2TB internal hard drive it's enough, but as previous member said you need to buy a mounting bracket also for the 12gb model.

At this point I haven't found a digital game from one region that allow dlc from other region, the best it's to purchase a complete edition/bundle because these usually install the other content automatically.

The Hong Kong DLCs for Assassin's Creed: Revelations and XCOM: Enemy Unknown work with the US versions of those games and I believe Mass Effect 3 is the same but don't quote me on it.

• Like 1