Unpopular Opinion...

zippydpt

I agree with your take on the game, and I can see why other people may have differing opinions. I just finished the main story, and completed several side tales in the process. This game actually made me stop playing video games for like a week because I just got so bored of the repetition and the game in general.

It's not to say there weren't parts of the game that I didn't enjoy. I thought the visuals were astounding (don't know why one person here is saying they're dissapointing), the navigation was incredibly unique while taking advantage of the touch pad games tend to completely ignore, and the story in general is very good. That opening where you finally gain control of your horse as you tredge through the brush of pure white flowers and that title card for Act I pops out, had me enthralled and will be something I remember for a while. 

However, I feel that what is the ultimate detriment of this game for me is the open world. For me, and keep this in mind for your own judgements, open world games have become increasingly stale. There are games recently that have gotten me over that, whether it be the incredibly engrossing maneuverability of Spider-Man (which I would argue that maneuverability and discovery are monumental parts of making a great open world game), or the unique quests and side quests that have multiple ways of being completed or ending (I think of the earlier Fallout games, Elder Scroll games, and the Witcher). Ghost of Tsushima, while evoking the beauty and serenity of Tsushima, doesn't do much in terms of keeping the world interesting along your journey for prolonged periods of time or mixing up the formula. Enemy variety is practically non-existent, leading to approaching combat in very limited ways. And to one of your points about the objectives of the missions, I agree that they're indeed rehashing the same objectives over and over. Rescue hostages, kill Mongols, Do not alert Mongols, etc.

What ultimately happened for me is that doing things throughout the open world didn't engross me in the world the devs were portraying; it dragged on what would otherwise be a powerful and impactful story with distractions that lead to little or very little gains.The strong points of the game are mitigated by they're choice in making it an open world game. I wasn't really hyped for the game, but since I was bored in quarantine like everyone else and had some time I figured I'd give it a try; it was even getting phenominal reviews and press. I definitely wouldn't say I didn't enjoy some of it, but I will remember this game as a mixed bag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKnocheese said:

snip

I have done a bit of studying on history during the Feudal Era in Japan, what the samurais did and the gruesome violence people had to witness in that time period. I think many of us can agree that it was one of the most fascinating pieces in human history. How Japan isolated itself for so long to where it brought out a unique culture that is still widely celebrated to this day.

Ghosts of Tsushima... it looks great, it looks spectacular, in 4K visuals it looks fucking amazing. But the game is not worth $60 to me. The reason is because the gameplay itself looks far too formulaic.

This feels like a product that was made with corporate intentions. Open world games are the big cash cow nowadays. Everybody wants a game that they can sink 30, 40, 50, 100 hours into because they paid $60 for it.

And before people jump on me for not having this game on my trophy account, I've watched plenty of Twitch tv livestreams and YouTube videos so I already know what Ghosts of Tsushima is.

Personally I felt open world games 10 years ago were a lot more fresh and exciting, because back in 2010 AAA developers were still making a lot of linear games. Now they have caught on to open world games because they know they can make them a lot of money.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt still has the best sidequests and lore in the entire genre. Everything from Horizon Zero Dawn to Marvel's Spider-Man to Ghosts of Tsushima has boring and uninspired side content. Then they basically add salt to the wound by throwing in a bunch of shitty New Game Plus trophies that get their own separate DLC away from the base game.

When Ghosts of Tsushima drops to $25 - 30, I will buy it, but at $59.99, it's not worth my money.

I experienced a little burnout around the end of Act II, but I just beat Act III last night. I'm planning on platinuming the game. The foxes are gonna be really annoying. They're not tough, it's just BS that there is over 50 of them.

I suck at the Bamboo Strikes, but I persevere and complete them. There's only 16, and I've gotta be over halfway done with them by now.

My overall impressions of the game right now are that it's great, but has some notable flaws (horse riding, repetitive objectives, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2020 at 10:41 PM, Helyx said:

I've never once cared about an NPC in a game (or even really my own character), but I found myself stopping and talking to people in the towns often. I don't mean talking to NPCs that were part of mission progression, but just random people who motioned towards Jin or spoke towards him. This, for me, was a major sign of my personal investment in a game that I otherwise have not experienced before.

Couldn’t of out it better myself! 
Picked this up for £30 from eBay (steal) and sunk a few hours into it last night for the first time

admittedly I’m not far in but normally with these types of games I’ll just smash out each location straight away and not care much on the side stories. Not with this, it’s beautiful and is seamlessly smooth. Going to take my time with this one 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 6:00 PM, Fish613 said:

My suggestion is to only watch 10-15 seconds of a trailer for a game, to see if you're interested in it or not. Stop reading reviews on games. Stop reading previews for games. You're at a point where you should have a decent idea what you do and don't like in a video game, and 10-15 seconds (maybe a little more) of a trailer should tell you in you're interested or not.

My thoughts exactly. I usually only watch reveal trailers and then I avoid any coverage if I already know I want to play the game. When you play enough games you can tell if you are going to like something or not from just those few seconds of trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I love it. It was on a mini sale digitally for £43 instead of £55.

I bought a £45 psn card for £ 37

Startedplaying it, expecting it to be an awful assassins creed borefest, and it's exactly the opposite. I find myself getting off horses i'm meant to ride just so i can take the scenery in at a slower pace.

If i were to compare it to anything, it's more like Death stranding with a lot less going on. And weirdly, thats more than enough. 

I play on PS4 pro, on a big HDR 4K tv, so maybe that helps, as it is all about the lighting and scenery for me.

Also, i bought this to use on my preordered PS5, and thought i'd better try it on the 4 to see how much better the 5 will handle it, but now i can't stop playing!!

For £37 it's a steal, and a great game to play as a benchmark to show what the PS4 can do, right up to it's pre death years, forced upon it by the imminent arrival of PS5 

Edited by TheMightyImp2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TheMightyImp2 said:

Well, I love it. It was on a mini sale digitally for £43 instead of £55.

I bought a £45 psn card for £ 37

Startedplaying it, expecting it to be an awful assassins creed borefest, and it's exactly the opposite. I find myself getting off horses i'm meant to ride just so i can take the scenery in at a slower pace.

If i were to compare it to anything, it's more like Death stranding with a lot less going on. And weirdly, thats more than enough. 

I play on PS4 pro, on a big HDR 4K tv, so maybe that helps, as it is all about the lighting and scenery for me.

Also, i bought this to use on my preordered PS5, and thought i'd better try it on the 4 to see how much better the 5 will handle it, but now i can't stop playing!!

For £37 it's a steal, and a great game to play as a benchmark to show what the PS4 can do, right up to it's pre death years, forced upon it by the imminent arrival of PS5 

I did nearly the same thing. Have been blowing through Platinums and "100 percenting" stuff the last couple months and this game has really had a "slow down and take in the scenery" effect on me.

Played it for my first two long sitdowns and didn't get one trophy in 20 hours and I couldn't have cared less. Of course I'm going to Platinum the game and I'm setting everything up to do that...but I love just taking it in and really, really enjoying it because of how much it does right. Great game.

• Like 2