PS3 mouse and keyboard controller announced

Wade_VC

According to Gameranx, Sony has announced plans to release a mouse and keyboard set of gaming controllers for the PlayStation 3.

The “Tactical Assault Commander 3” will consist of an optical right-handed mouse and left-handed keypad with WASD-style keys, complete with an easy-access D-Pad and comfy looking palm rest for prolonged use.

PS3_keyboard.jpg

The peripheral, which is licensed by Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE), will be manufactured by HORI and is slated for a $127 price tag.

Sony has not yet announced what games it plans to support. However, with the growing popularity of Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) titles on the PS3 including DC Universe Online and the upcoming Dust 514 - as well as the ability to play FPS and Role-Playing titles with PC-style precision – this is something that many gamers will be looking forward to.

Source: Gameranx

Looks, aesthetically, better than the Splitfish one that came out when the system launched. $127 seems a little steep...but it is being made by HORI - they do some pretty damn good fight sticks, and other peripherals, so it may be worth the price.

Seems like it might be a good investment for FPS fans at the least - like a wheel for sim racing fans.

Don't bother, it'll be awful, just like the XFPS, Eagle Eye, Aimon PS (formerly FragNStein) and FragFX. As a kb/m PC gamer, I've bought them all over the last 4 years and been disappointed time and again.

The only one worth looking at is the Xim3 (www.xim3.com) and it is freaking awesome. It's a 360 peripheral but with a $10 360 > PS3 USB adaptor, it works perfectly on PS3 as well.

Unlike the other kb/m emulators which are limited to basic analog sensitivity tweaking, Xim3 lets you digitally dial-in hip-fire sens, ADS sens, acceleration, X-Y ratio, dead zone & diagonal dampening and permits full key remapping via a GUI on the device. To top it off, you get to use your favourite PC gaming-grade mice and keyboards with support for 5000DPi+ for uber-precision.

I wonder if all games that support this peripheral will support any keyboard and mouse?

I suspect if this is a licenced Sony product, it'll only support games with native PS3 kb/m support. But if that's the case, why bother with this piece of crap? Just use any USB mouse or keyboard and be underwhelmed by the native PS3 kb/m support in games like UT3 and il-2.

Xim3 on the other hand, supports all USB mice and keyboards in ALL PS3 and 360 games and is as close to 1:1 PC mouse control as we can get on a console. In cross-platform titles like Call of Duty, Wolfenstein, Bulletstorm, Borderlands, Bioshock etc, it's perfect.

Because the Xim3 is a 360 device, some config tweaks are required for PS3 exclusives like Uncharted, Killzone, MAG and Resistance. As a life-long PC kb/m gamer, these titles were unplayable for me on the Dualshock, but they're slick and responsive with a mouse.

Xim3 also fully supports the Logitech G13 including the analog stick, as well as the Move Navigator if you prefer controller + mouse. I'm a left-handed gamer, so I prefer the ambidextrous Z-Board Fang to the G13, despite owning both.

Here's my PS3 kb/m setup -

xim3_setup.jpg

Hooked up to the iMac -

desktop-1.jpg

I'm a controller freak and as a PC gamer who sucks with a Dualshock for shooters, the Xim3 is easily the best peripheral I've ever bought for my PS3.

• 2 weeks later...