PSNParents?

SmashThruPlanets

I'm interested in whether there's any other parents on these boards.. I am 25 and have a 3 year old son - and another one due next April  :pimp:  

How do you fit gaming in nowadays? Do you play games with your kids or do you try and keep your hobby away from them as much as possible? 

My son already seems quite interested in games, he loves playing Peggle when we let him occasionally and is surprisingly good! Still not sure how I'm going to play it when he gets older though - I personally think in hindsight that I was allowed to play games too much as a child.

..Just realised this is starting to sound like a veiled parenting advice request but it's genuinely out of interest  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

I'm 35 and have a 7 year old boy and an 8 year old girl. My boy plays Xbox for a few hours a day after school. My daughter plays minecraft on her desktop and plays the Sims from time to time on her kindle. As long as they do what's expected of them, I allow them to spend their time however they want. If my boy wants to play Skyrim for four hours, so be it. I must be doing something right, they've both been accepted into enrichment classes and bring home excellent grades.

I work night-shift, so I game during the daytime when everyone is at school and work. I bought a Vita for those times that the family take over the television.

• Like 4

I'm 31 and I have four mini clones of myself, an 8-year-old son, and three daughters, 5, almost 3 and 9 months.  My oldest son plays games like Sly or Crash Bandicoot.  My 5 year old has some slight interest in games.  She's more of a puzzle game person, like Tetris.  Definitely gets that from the misses

Edited by grimydawg
  • Like 1

I'm 21 with a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 1 year old girl, as soon as either of them hears the 'beep' of the PS3 switching on, they both grab my old PS2 controllers that I cut the wires off so they could have them as toys, go sit on the couch and get all excited watching me play lol.

And if they are really doing my head in then I plug the surround sound in, put on some guitar hero and they can sit there mesmerized by it for hours lol.

I work but I do 4 days on 4 days off so get to spend quite a decent amount of time with them and the misses and playing the PS3 so everything has fitted perfectly  B)

• Like 2

I am 30 plus have two young children that attend primary school and being a shift worker rotating shifts i normally can do my gaming while my children are at school or when they are in bed.

My eldest is interested in gaming, she will watch a bit and ask for a go, but my youngest gets to bored with it.

Edited by ElaborateEnd
  • Like 1

I'm 21 with a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 1 year old girl, as soon as either of them hears the 'beep' of the PS3 switching on, they both grab my old PS2 controllers that I cut the wires off so they could have them as toys, go sit on the couch and get all excited watching me play lol.

And if they are really doing my head in then I plug the surround sound in, put on some guitar hero and they can sit there mesmerized by it for hours lol.

I work but I do 4 days on 4 days off so get to spend quite a decent amount of time with them and the misses and playing the PS3 so everything has fitted perfectly  B)

That controller idea is awesome, would definitely stop my little man grabbing my controller all the time!

His first taste of Playstation when he was teensy..

ZrIndyG.jpg?1

• Like 3

I've got a 3 year old son and he is very interested in video games. I bought him Skylanders which he absolutely loves (he has a hard time with the DS3 though, so I'm looking into getting a smaller controller for him) and we played Megamind co-op together which is some of the most fun I've had gaming in a long time. 

I work 3rd shift so I leave for work right at 10:00 PM and I get home right at 8:00 AM so I try to get a little gaming time when I get home but my son is usually awake and if he is I go to sleep. I sleep until noon or so and then get up and be with the family. The only time I really get to game is on my off days or if my parents decide they'd like to watch Rory and take him off our hands for a few hours. 

Here is a picture of the little goober:

1009838_10201673033249115_194228085_n_zp

Parker

Parker, this is quite disturbing.........

blue eyes, high defined cheekbones, disarming smile, stooopid bowl hair cut - where the f... did you get photos of me from 37 years ago?

• Like 2

I'm a 35 year old father of two sons, 10 and 11 years old. We created our PSNID together with the first 2 letters of our three names and we all game together when we feel like it or the time allows it. I keep the kids away from games like GTA, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, Resident Evil, The Last of Us, The Walking Dead, ... but after some hesitation we allowed them to play COD: Black Ops II. We do however keep a close eye on them and they handle it well. 

Gaming together with the kids allows me to experience games in ways us "boring adults" have forgotten, it's great fun!  

Finding the time to play is another matter ... these days my gaming is limited to a couple of hours a week.

Edited by AnRoDr

Skylanders_1.jpg

I'm 41 with a 3 1/2 year old son, 2 year old daughter and 6 month old daughter. Most of my gaming time lately has been co-oping with my son and we've worked through a number of games together, hence the strong representation of kids games on my trophy card. Like Parker, playing co-op with my son is the most fun I've had gaming in a long, long time.

All of my kids seem to be interested in gaming, though I never play my games while they're awake - if it's daylight, we have better things to do. I slot my gaming in after they've gone to bed, which is roughly 8-11pm at night.

I've got a 3 year old son and he is very interested in video games. I bought him Skylanders which he absolutely loves (he has a hard time with the DS3 though, so I'm looking into getting a smaller controller for him) and we played Megamind co-op together which is some of the most fun I've had gaming in a long time. 

Try one of these suckers on for size...

100643_x.jpg

My 3 year old uses this to play Skylanders (he's apeshit for all things Skylanders) and it fits neatly in his hands. It's a 360 controller, but it works fine on PS3 using a cheap 360 > PS3 USB adapter. He also comfortably uses the Wii U gamepad to play The Wonderful 101 and a DualShock for LBP Karting & Sonic & Sega Racing Transformed. He's only allowed to play a couple of times a week for about an hour after his swimming, soccer or athletics. That's more than enough for a kid that age.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Parker, this is quite disturbing.........

blue eyes, high defined cheekbones, disarming smile, stooopid bowl hair cut - where the f... did you get photos of me from 37 years ago?

Maybe it's just the Irish blood? I've been told he looks a lot like me when I was younger...

226761_1030677817650_3614_n_zps07869975.

Skylanders_1.jpg

I'm 41 with a 3 1/2 year old son, 2 year old daughter and 6 month old daughter. Most of my gaming time lately has been co-oping with my son and we've worked through a number of games together, hence the strong representation of kids games on my trophy card. Like Parker, playing co-op with my son is the most fun I've had gaming in a long, long time.

All of my kids seem to be interested in gaming, though I never play my games while they're awake - if it's daylight, we have better things to do. I slot my gaming in after they've gone to bed, which is roughly 8-11pm at night.

Try one of these suckers on for size...

100643_x.jpg

My 3 year old uses this to play Skylanders (he's apeshit for all things Skylanders) and it fits neatly in his hands. It's a 360 controller, but it works fine on PS3 using a cheap 360 > PS3 USB adapter. He also comfortably uses the Wii U gamepad to play The Wonderful 101 and a DualShock for LBP Karting & Sonic & Sega Racing Transformed. He's only allowed to play a couple of times a week for about an hour after his swimming, soccer or athletics. That's more than enough for a kid that age.

I've seen you post a few times and it is actually exactly what I was thinking of getting. 

Parker

DSC05061new_zpse300ed9e.jpg

DSC08949_RESIZE_zpsf1566bde.jpg

I am 33 years old, my wife is 29 (30 in December), Daughter just turned 4 years old and my son is 6 months old... my daughter has watched me play Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia (loves the music)... ive let her play a little here and there but mostly i don't game while the kids are awake... I can't wait for Knack because im going to actually sit back and have her try to play it a little... I also let her watch Netflix on my Vita sometime... My wife isn't a gamer but she likes watching me play anime style JRPGs like the Tales series... sometimes she even offers to look something up in a guide or something to help because she gets so into it...

I know ive already posted these pics in the "post a picture of yourself" thread but im still a proud daddy...

Edited by Pigburkulosis
  • Like 1

1098522_10151836049994198_1201738920_n.j

My pround family. My son turns 4 in a week, and our little girl is almost 4 months old now. most of the gaming I have done in the last few months now is just running around the HUB's of LEGO Batman 2 or LotR's with my boy. He also likes to play a bit of Rayman Origins, Epic Mickey 2, and Skylanders. I've thought about getting the new disney infinity game to play but its looks like more of a money pit than skylanders ever thought about being.

• Like 2

This is a really awesome thread.

I'm 21 with a 10 month old girl. She's more interested in whatever controller I'm using than actual gaming, so I let one of my DS3's die completely so she can play with it while I game. While I do most of my gaming at night after she's gone to bed, there are the occasional days off or long weekends where I like to sneak in some extended game time. :) At least until she decides daddy needs to stop looking at the TV and play on the floor haha.

Mid thirties here with a 12 yo step son & 5 yo girl,boy likes his 360 as his mate's are all on it,daughter likes the move and eye toy thingy,pretty much a gaming family but we do plenty of outdoor activities and they have school clubs,scouts,dancing,gymnastics and swimming,moderation is key as with everything in life

36 year old father of 2 here. Both my kids enjoy gaming (not like I do though, haha). They are 9 and 7 with my son (youngest) being a little more into it. They really don't need to be micromanaged however, as they do quite well themselves with balancing gaming/tv with outdoor play. I'm quite blessed as they are great kids :)

I passed down the PS2 and most of my games for them to enjoy and they occasionally co-op with me and/or I let them goof around on a separate account on the PS3. They enjoyed most of the Animated Film games as well as LittleBigPlanet and a few of the PSN mini-games i've picked up.

My wife doesn't like the gaming portion of my life and would rather I sell everything and whittle wood or something. Because of that, I rarely play when she is home or awake. I game later in the evenings when everyone has gone to bed most nights. The wife works every other weekend so those are my gaming marathons :lol:

• Like 1