Never play on Easy!

Rebourne07

• 3 months later...

Blah! Wish I’d read this thread sooner. The guides don’t really do a good job explaining WHY. I’m finding the roadmap for this game to be very complicated and confusing tbh. Both PSNP and PST have drastically different routes recommended in their guides.

I opted to go with the route on PST and start on Easy mode while I learn the layout of the map, get all the miscellaneous trophies, beat all bosses with Rebecca (who is weak as hell in this game wtf) and then do the no saves and no healing runs on easy as well. It seemed smart at the time! But the more I start to understand the mechanics of this game, the more I’m starting to realize I chose the tougher and longer path in the long run. ☹️

Should I start over? Or just finish what I’m doing then do another whole separate playthrough on Normal before going to leech hunter mode? I don’t even mind this option so much - I can use every bit of practice I can get for the more difficult runs later on).

Thanks!

Edited by dieselmanchild

On 7.10.2020 at 0:24 AM, Rebourne07 said:

This is discussed in the guide, but I had a hard time finding a direct, concise reason WHY you should never play on easy so I figured I'd write it here in hopes that it helps someone in the future. When you start a save file for a new game, you select a difficulty. Afterwards, anytime that save is loaded or used for new games or leech hunter or Wesker mode or whatever, it stays on that same difficulty. Thing is, in easy mode there are no ranks at the end of the game, so you cannot get rewards for Rank A, Rank B, etc. Meaning if you play on easy then you'll never get leech hunter rewards to be able to use on subsequent playthroughs. So even though it seems counter intuitive to do trophies like a speed run or no save run on Normal, it's better to do them on Normal with infinite ammo from leech hunter than to do them on easy without any perks.

I agree with you that the guides don't have good explanations that you shouldn't play on Easy but i did it anyway and i got all rewards from Leech Hunter like the trophy for Rank A and infinite ammo in the maingame. The problem is something else: you cannot get one weapon in a speedrun on Easy but only on Normal or Hard difficulty.

Well @dieselmanchild i think you should start on Normal right away. I played on Easy then started Leech Hunter 2 times for Rank A and played through the campaign twice more for no save, no healing, kill all bosses with Rebecca. But then i realised i saw i didn't get one weapon even though i completed the game in less than 3,5 hours. Now i have to play at least once again on Normal and either hope i complete the game within 3,5 hours or do Leech Hunter again for the infinite ammo and after that another playthrough on Normal for the speedrun very likely to be done. Then i still need one hard difficulty run for another trophy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Optinooby said:

This is my playlist m8 that may help, we get platinum in what I believe to be the easiest and fastest route with everything explained and carefully laid out for you. Its helped a lot of players who say I make the game much easier;

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcXyIPOWYDvy3xMItAogbMJ_3ndV-yUfT

I think we do iirc;

- Normal, 

- LH 

- LH again

- Normal speedrun

- Normal Wesker

- HARD

The trophies are all thrown in there at the points I found they were easiest. Weay have done Wesker before Speedrun, cant quite remember. I think we do Rebecca all bosses with unlockables!! 

EDIT:

Just looking at my thumbnails, we do speedrun with no saves and bosses as rebecca with leech hunter rewards, and the no healing is done in Weskers run. 

I saw your speedy plat guide on PST and have read lots of your comments on tips on various forums. Thanks a lot for being so helpful! ?

Regarding your roadmap above, would it be feasible to do something like this:

- Easy (just to finish my current run, get all misc trophies + Rebecca kills all bosses, regard this run as extra practice)

- Normal

- Leech Hunter

- Leech Hunter #2

- Normal Wesker

- Hard mode (on new save file)

- Normal speed run (reloading previous Normal save file)

???

The only reason I’d want to do it this way is to get as many practice runs as possible before trying for the speed run. This is how I did it when I platted the HD REmake (speed run dead last) and by then I knew the map so well I was able to complete the speed run with no problem at all.

And my thinking is that if I know the game like the back of my hand by then & have the infinite ammo rewards from LH still attached to my Normal save file, I might be able to combine some of the other trophies like no-save with this run.

I also have a couple other questions if you’d be so kind.

1) No healing run - Regarding the no healing run, are there any ways at all to gain health throughout the game that don’t void the trophies? Or should you just be trying to save before encounters/bosses and reloading if you get hit at all? 

2) Can you elaborate more on the trophy for collecting all weapons? I’m confused about this as well. From what I understand, it’s not possible to get all base weapons in a single run, so it’s crucial to do this at some point on your Normal clear save file. And the final weapons are unlocked from leech hunter and getting an S rank in the game?

3) Speedrun - Does the game’s timer pause when you open the map in this game? How about when you pause the game by pressing the Options button?

Edited by dieselmanchild

8 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I saw your speedy plat guide on PST and have read lots of your comments on tips on various forums. Thanks a lot for being so helpful! 1f60a.png

Regarding your roadmap above, would it be feasible to do something like this:

- Easy (just to finish my current run, get all misc trophies + Rebecca kills all bosses, regard this run as extra practice)

- Normal

- Leech Hunter

- Leech Hunter #2

- Normal Wesker

- Hard mode (on new save file)

- Normal speed run (reloading previous Normal save file)

???

The only reason I’d want to do it this way is to get as many practice runs as possible before trying for the speed run. This is how I did it when I platted the HD REmake (speed run dead last) and by then I knew the map so well I was able to complete the speed run with no problem at all.

And my thinking is that if I know the game like the back of my hand by then & have the infinite ammo rewards from LH still attached to my Normal save file, I might be able to combine some of the other trophies like no-save with this run.

I also have a couple other questions if you’d be so kind.

1) No healing run - Regarding the no healing run, are there any ways at all to gain health throughout the game that don’t void the trophies? Or should you just be trying to save before encounters/bosses and reloading if you get hit at all? 

2) Can you elaborate more on the trophy for collecting all weapons? I’m confused about this as well. From what I understand, it’s not possible to get all base weapons in a single run, so it’s crucial to do this at some point on your Normal clear save file. And the final weapons are unlocked from leech hunter and getting an S rank in the game?

3) Speedrun - Does the game’s timer pause when you open the map in this game? How about when you pause the game by pressing the Options button?

Haha, you'rr testing my memory now bud, it's been a while ;)

I would advise to do Rebecca all bosses on your speedrun as u will be using infinite weapons then, it will be much easier! 

Any run will give u experience, you just need to be careful off enemy/item layouts as they can change between difficulties, plus enemies may be more aggressive, so you would still need to be quite adaptive when changing difficulties

1) Don't quote me on this as I can't quite remember off the top of my head, but I don't think there is any way to heal. You do have other means to heal iirc like the tank I think in facility med room, but I just dont remember exactly what counts. You would find the answer to this by quickly scanning for the no healing run in my text guide, and run through it looking for mentions of healing (its on Gamefaqs as well btw, easier to read than PSTrophies). 

2) There are custom parts you get in that armory room above the trap area with the hunters, but its only 1 and u must combine it with Billy and Beccas weapon for a trophy, hence why u need another half playthrough to reach it again. 

Make sure you combine different grenade ammo types as well so they register, and of course u also need to equip the unlockable weapons. 

One very important thing is to make sure u dont overwrite that 1st save with 1 custom pistol made, so u can continue from that one in 2nd playthrough and do the other custom pistol, then u just need the unlockables. 

3) No way to pause timer unfortunately except for lobbing PS4 into rest mode or now you can probably go to the PS4 full home menu to pause it. I started to think recently when I was playing CVX that if you can do something to pause the game when you are opening a door to a different area (you know when you get the door opening transition), like if the PS4 menu pauses the door opening animatiom, then it should pause the game. 

The only sure way I know is rest mode, but the PS4 menu (not sub menu) may pause it as well, u could quickly test it urself to check. PS4 menu is a bit less annoying than rest mode. 

Ur speedrun btw, I recommend to do that with No saves and Becca bosses, then do No healing with Wesker after. That way you can heal with Becca, get the no saves and speedrun out the way with LH weapons, then with Wesker, tou have the Rocket Launcher which will make no healing easier as easy boss kills, plus he can take more dmg than Becca meaning easier no healing!! 

I've done my best to remember things m8 so hope that helps ;)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Haha, you'rr testing my memory now bud, it's been a while ;)

I would advise to do Rebecca all bosses on your speedrun as u will be using infinite weapons then, it will be much easier! 

Any run will give u experience, you just need to be careful off enemy/item layouts as they can change between difficulties, plus enemies may be more aggressive, so you would still need to be quite adaptive when changing difficulties

1) Don't quote me on this as I can't quite remember off the top of my head, but I don't think there is any way to heal. You do have other means to heal iirc like the tank I think in facility med room, but I just dont remember exactly what counts. You would find the answer to this by quickly scanning for the no healing run in my text guide, and run through it looking for mentions of healing (its on Gamefaqs as well btw, easier to read than PSTrophies). 

2) There are custom parts you get in that armory room above the trap area with the hunters, but its only 1 and u must combine it with Billy and Beccas weapon for a trophy, hence why u need another half playthrough to reach it again. 

Make sure you combine different grenade ammo types as well so they register, and of course u also need to equip the unlockable weapons. 

One very important thing is to make sure u dont overwrite that 1st save with 1 custom pistol made, so u can continue from that one in 2nd playthrough and do the other custom pistol, then u just need the unlockables. 

3) No way to pause timer unfortunately except for lobbing PS4 into rest mode or now you can probably go to the PS4 full home menu to pause it. I started to think recently when I was playing CVX that if you can do something to pause the game when you are opening a door to a different area (you know when you get the door opening transition), like if the PS4 menu pauses the door opening animatiom, then it should pause the game. 

The only sure way I know is rest mode, but the PS4 menu (not sub menu) may pause it as well, u could quickly test it urself to check. PS4 menu is a bit less annoying than rest mode. 

Ur speedrun btw, I recommend to do that with No saves and Becca bosses, then do No healing with Wesker after. That way you can heal with Becca, get the no saves and speedrun out the way with LH weapons, then with Wesker, tou have the Rocket Launcher which will make no healing easier as easy boss kills, plus he can take more dmg than Becca meaning easier no healing!! 

I've done my best to remember things m8 so hope that helps ;)

Thank you so much for writing all that out, I am going to take your advice! I will also  check out your GameFAQs guide for more info as I haven’t checked that forum yet. RE0 platinum here I come woohoooo!! ?

On 2021-02-04 at 2:46 PM, RedDevil757 said:

I never select easy anyway. You'll not get better at gaming without challenging yourself

On 2021-02-04 at 3:17 PM, yellowwindow7 said:

I forgot when was the last time I played a game on the Easy difficulty.

I barely play games on normal, let alone easy.

This often over complicates things though. Easy mode is often of strategic importance when trophy hunting. Why make life harder for yourself when you don’t have to?

Resident Evil 0 is a really great example of this mindset. The game has a challenging enough trophy list as it is, and no matter what roadmap you take through the game, you will still have to conquer the game’s greatest challenge (Hard mode) without any of the special weapons, unlimited ammo etc.

Starting the game on Hard difficulty and trying to complete all miscellaneous trophies and gameplay constraints would just be needlessly frustrating unless you’re a veteran Resident Evil player who played this game back on the Cube. I find this same thing applies to many games.

4 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

This often over complicates things though. Easy mode is often of strategic importance when trophy hunting. Why make life harder for yourself when you don’t have to?

Resident Evil 0 is a really great example of this mindset. The game has a challenging enough trophy list as it is, and no matter what roadmap you take through the game, you will still have to conquer the game’s greatest challenge (Hard mode) without any of the special weapons, unlimited ammo etc.

Starting the game on Hard difficulty and trying to complete all miscellaneous trophies and gameplay constraints would just be needlessly frustrating unless you’re a veteran Resident Evil player who played this game back on the Cube. I find this same thing applies to many games.

I get bored when a game's too easy. I like to challenge myself. Plus when there's a hard mode trophy it's not so much of a shock to the system as it's the difficulty id be playing on anyway.

I've been gaming since the C64 and ZX spectrum. The games are so much easier these days and seem to be getting even easier. Soon the platinum will be given just for participating:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

I've been gaming since the C64 and ZX spectrum. The games are so much easier these days and seem to be getting even easier. Soon the platinum will be given just for participating:

Well it’s hard to argue with that point. You don’t really realize how easy modern games are with all their quality of life and handholding features, until you go back in time and play an older game.

Besides lacking the QoL features that have become the standard in modern gaming, these older games often have additional challenges like camera angles, difficult controls, and wacky saving mechanics that add to the difficulty!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

was my first ever time playing on a resi evil game, did it on easy but actually took so long to get through the game, not because it was difficult but because of the amount of times I went in the wrong rooms trying to remember what was where when I needed specific things (especially the mansion) really enjoyed the game and might go back to platinum it, will have to follow guides this time so I don't get lost and lose time going for the speedrun

20 minutes ago, LukeTheGooner said:

was my first ever time playing on a resi evil game, did it on easy but actually took so long to get through the game, not because it was difficult but because of the amount of times I went in the wrong rooms trying to remember what was where when I needed specific things (especially the mansion) really enjoyed the game and might go back to platinum it, will have to follow guides this time so I don't get lost and lose time going for the speedrun

This is pretty standard for your first run of this game, don’t worry! In both Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 0, my initial blind playthroughs took me around ~15 hours I believe. I really took my time and enjoyed it of course, but I’d say more than half of that time is attributed to aimlessly wandering the labyrinthian corridors of the mansions and going in and out of the wrong rooms.

In Resident Evil 0 in particular, the lack of the item storage boxes from the first game means you spend even more additional time backtracking through the mansion to grab key items/weapons you left behind, or managing your inventory and juggling items between both characters.

In both games, the concept of doing a sub 3-hour speedrun felt literally impossible to me at first, but it’s amazing how drastically your knowledge of the map and your overall times will improve with subsequent playthroughs. After your 2nd run you’ll likely have most of the mansion layout memorized. After a couple more runs, you’ll be finishing the game in like 2 hours without blinking.

The key to really speeding things up is organization and pre-planning. What I did was keep a written list of all the key items/rooms needed to progress, and kept one eye on it as I played. This way you always know exactly where you’re supposed to be going. Learning to cut down your time further by efficiently managing items and character placement in RE0 takes a little more practice, but you’ll get the hang of it!

Good luck if you decide to go for this platinum. It’s a challenging one, but a lot of fun! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

This is pretty standard for your first run of this game, don’t worry! In both Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 0, my initial blind playthroughs took me around ~15 hours I believe. I really took my time and enjoyed it of course, but I’d say more than half of that time is attributed to aimlessly wandering the labyrinthian corridors of the mansions and going in and out of the wrong rooms.

In Resident Evil 0 in particular, the lack of the item storage boxes from the first game means you spend even more additional time backtracking through the mansion to grab key items/weapons you left behind, or managing your inventory and juggling items between both characters.

In both games, the concept of doing a sub 3-hour speedrun felt literally impossible to me at first, but it’s amazing how drastically your knowledge of the map and your overall times will improve with subsequent playthroughs. After your 2nd run you’ll likely have most of the mansion layout memorized. After a couple more runs, you’ll be finishing the game in like 2 hours without blinking.

The key to really speeding things up is organization and pre-planning. What I did was keep a written list of all the key items/rooms needed to progress, and kept one eye on it as I played. This way you always know exactly where you’re supposed to be going. Learning to cut down your time further by efficiently managing items and character placement in RE0 takes a little more practice, but you’ll get the hang of it!

Good luck if you decide to go for this platinum. It’s a challenging one, but a lot of fun! 1f642.png

I found the view of the game awkward and hard to manouver at times as well, like for example moving your character one way round a corner and then accidently turning around and going back round that same corner, was pretty funny tbh but annoying at the same time, and also like you said most of the time in the inventory switching items with each character and also going back constantly to pick up the grapple gun because it just takes up so much room

1 minute ago, LukeTheGooner said:

I found the view of the game awkward and hard to manouver at times as well, like for example moving your character one way round a corner and then accidently turning around and going back round that same corner, was pretty funny tbh but annoying at the same time, and also like you said most of the time in the inventory switching items with each character and also going back constantly to pick up the grapple gun because it just takes up so much room

Yeah the fixed camera angles are really difficult to adjust to at first. I had the same problem, where every time the camera angle changes it’s like the controls get inverted, because my brain instinctively wants to change the direction I’m pushing the analog stick.

Once you learn the exact spots where the camera angles change, it’s easier to just continue holding down the analog stick in the direction you want to go (rather than taking your thumb off the stick and readjusting your direction for the new camera angle), as your character will continue running in a straight line. I hope that makes sense.

Also, regarding the hookshot, I find it’s best to get Rebecca to carry at when you first enter the mansion, and have her take it with her as she goes up to the roof, past the crows, past the indoor pool where you fight the Centurion, and down the stairs to unlock the 2F NorthEast door in the main hallway so Billy can get in.

Drop the hookshot in this hallway between the two doors, and you can leave it there until you have all 3 tablets and are ready to head to the church & laboratory. I find this hallway is the best place to store key items you don’t need in the mansion, like the grenade launcher or magnum ammo, as you can pick up all this stuff when you’re ready to head through the double doors and to the church. It saves a lot of space during the mansion stuff!

You’ll also want Rebecca to carry the hookshot once you get inside the laboratory. As soon as you use it for the 4th time to get inside the train control room, you can drop it forever! You won’t be needing to lug around that pesky thing again. ?

3 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Yeah the fixed camera angles are really difficult to adjust to at first. I had the same problem, where every time the camera angle changes it’s like the controls get inverted, because my brain instinctively wants to change the direction I’m pushing the analog stick.

Once you learn the exact spots where the camera angles change, it’s easier to just continue holding down the analog stick in the direction you want to go (rather than taking your thumb off the stick and readjusting your direction for the new camera angle), as your character will continue running in a straight line. I hope that makes sense.

Also, regarding the hookshot, I find it’s best to get Rebecca to carry at when you first enter the mansion, and have her take it with her as she goes up to the roof, past the crows, past the indoor pool where you fight the Centurion, and down the stairs to unlock the 2F NorthEast door in the main hallway so Billy can get in.

Drop the hookshot in this hallway between the two doors, and you can leave it there until you have all 3 tablets and are ready to head to the church & laboratory. I find this hallway is the best place to store key items you don’t need in the mansion, like the grenade launcher or magnum ammo, as you can pick up all this stuff when you’re ready to head through the double doors and to the church. It saves a lot of space during the mansion stuff!

You’ll also want Rebecca to carry the hookshot once you get inside the laboratory. As soon as you use it for the 4th time to get inside the train control room, you can drop it forever! You won’t be needing to lug around that pesky thing again. 1f609.png

thanks for all your tips, will bear them in mind when I do my second run

• 6 months later...
On 03/02/2021 at 7:22 PM, Optinooby said:

This is my playlist m8 that may help, we get platinum in what I believe to be the easiest and fastest route with everything explained and carefully laid out for you. Its helped a lot of players who say I make the game much easier;

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcXyIPOWYDvy3xMItAogbMJ_3ndV-yUfT

I think we do iirc;

- Normal, 

- LH 

- LH again

- Normal speedrun

- Normal Wesker

- HARD

The trophies are all thrown in there at the points I found they were easiest. Weay have done Wesker before Speedrun, cant quite remember. I think we do Rebecca all bosses with unlockables!! 

EDIT:

Just looking at my thumbnails, we do speedrun with no saves and bosses as rebecca with leech hunter rewards, and the no healing is done in Weskers run. 

Just to clarify, there's 12 videos in that playlist, split into 2 sets of 6. Is the only difference between the two that one has commentary and one doesn't?

Edited by bikeman223

25 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

Just to clarify, there's 12 videos in that playlist, split into 2 sets of 6. Is the only difference between the two that one has commentary and one doesn't?

Didn't even remember I did no commentary with this, I usually just lob them up with commentary only now.

Yea, that will be all it is mate, I have a text trophy walkthrough on PlaystationTrophies and Gamefaqs as well, but it's old, in these videos I changed a few things just to streamline it a little more and make a little simpler

36 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Didn't even remember I did no commentary with this, I usually just lob them up with commentary only now.

Yea, that will be all it is mate, I have a text trophy walkthrough on PlaystationTrophies and Gamefaqs as well, but it's old, in these videos I changed a few things just to streamline it a little more and make a little simpler

Alright, thanks for the prompt response. 

Edited by bikeman223

2 hours ago, Optinooby said:

One more thing, in your video you say you can pause the in-game timer at the pause screen. At lot of people online are in disagreement as to if this works on not. Do you remember anything related to this?

1 hour ago, bikeman223 said:

One more thing, in your video you say you can pause the in-game timer at the pause screen. At lot of people online are in disagreement as to if this works on not. Do you remember anything related to this?

Did I say that, I didn't think you could. I tested it by getting endgame, doing things, waiting 5 mins then completing the game and seeing if it paused.

I tried everything and anything I mention in the video should be right, I thought I remembered you could only pause this by putting the system in rest mode???

8 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Did I say that, I didn't think you could. I tested it by getting endgame, doing things, waiting 5 mins then completing the game and seeing if it paused.

I tried everything and anything I mention in the video should be right, I thought I remembered you could only pause this by putting the system in rest mode???

Okay, cool I didn't think you could. You definitely talked about the pause menu at around 2:50. It's alright I just wanted to see what you meant.

Edited by bikeman223

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 7:24 PM, Rebourne07 said:

This is discussed in the guide, but I had a hard time finding a direct, concise reason WHY you should never play on easy so I figured I'd write it here in hopes that it helps someone in the future. When you start a save file for a new game, you select a difficulty. Afterwards, anytime that save is loaded or used for new games or leech hunter or Wesker mode or whatever, it stays on that same difficulty. Thing is, in easy mode there are no ranks at the end of the game, so you cannot get rewards for Rank A, Rank B, etc. Meaning if you play on easy then you'll never get leech hunter rewards to be able to use on subsequent playthroughs. So even though it seems counter intuitive to do trophies like a speed run or no save run on Normal, it's better to do them on Normal with infinite ammo from leech hunter than to do them on easy without any perks.

yes i do agree starting the game on easy you are missing out on the rewards that u could of gotten by playing the game on Normal. I did a playthrough on Easy mode, I tried Leach Hunter on Easy mode and you dont get the rewards you need to be able to progress the game and platinum

Actually you can get ALL Leech Hunter rewards on Easy (including Super Magnum and infinite ammo). There is only three trophies you cannot do on easy: S rank, all weapons and clearing Hard mode (obviously).

You only get a rank on Normal and Hard mode so you can only get S rank on a Normal/Hard file. And since you need the unlockable weapons (which can only be unlocked with a S rank) you need to do that on a Normal/Hard file too. So aside from those three trophies you can do EVERYTHING on easy.

I really hate that you can only use your unlocks on one difficulty. This was NOT the case in RE 1 Remake where you could use your unlocks on every difficulty.

• Like 1