Question regarding sharing store purchases on a second PS4 Console

CristianX-97

Now I know some form of this question has already been asked, but I can't seem to comprehend or fully understand what other people are referring to on how it's done or if it's even possible. So you know how on PS3, if I were to purchase, lets say Call of Duty Advanced Warfare base game and all of its 4 DLC packs, and install them on my main console, you could then also redownload them on a second console, provided you have the same account on the second console and login to physically redownload them. So with the game and DLC purchase, I could play and use them all on both consoles indifferent of what account I was using on either of the consoles. My question is, does this work the exact same way on PS4, and how is it done (and please explain specifically)? At one point, I attempted to what I believe was the exact way of doing this, and it didn't work out. I wasn't able to play the game on my second PS4, unless I was signed in on that console with the main account on which it was purchased on. I need to be able to download games and DLC on 2 consoles, but be able to use all of it on the second console with another account. Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks for any help.

It doesn't work like that on a PS4 unfortunately. You can only share content with other accounts on the console that is registered as the sharers primary console. 

I have 2 PS4s but I can only play games bought from my NA alt using my main on one of those. I mean I guess you could mess about switching primaries all the time but there could be limits on how often you can but I've never bothered to look into it

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CristianX-97 said:

So just to confirm, if I have 4 consoles and I want to boost Battlefield Hardline all by myself, I would need to purchase the game and all the DLC 4 times? 

No... only twice. The account you bought it on will always be able to play it regardless of having primary activated or not, then you will activate primary on your second console with your main account allowing anyone on that device to use it. You will have to buy it twice though if you plan on doing it on 4 consoles. There is also no limit to the amount of times you can deactivate and reactivate the primary using the PS4.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kreivok said:

No... only twice. The account you bought it on will always be able to play it regardless of having primary activated or not, then you will activate primary on your second console with your main account allowing anyone on that device to use it. You will have to buy it twice though if you plan on doing it on 4 consoles. There is also no limit to the amount of times you can deactivate and reactivate the primary using the PS4.

Are you certain of this? This would be amazing. I'll have to try this soon then and confirm it for myself.

Yes :) works the same way with PS + not like PermaFox said. 1 ps plus membership will work with the account you bought it on and on 1  additional ps4, then on your other ps4 where it is set as primary any account will able to use the games and ps plus.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kreivok said:

Yes :) works the same way with PS + not like PermaFox said. 1 ps plus membership will work with the account you bought it on and on 1  additional ps4, then on your other ps4 where it is set as primary any account will able to use the games and ps plus.

Thanks a lot for the information.

26 minutes ago, Kreivok said:

This is right. I've been doing it for years with my 2 ps4's.

Just a word of warning though. The system where you're profile isn't the primary needs constant internet to play the games. If it is not the primary, it needs to verify the license.

It might not be an issue but just in case.

• Like 1

For clarification - If you own GTAV, and you want to play online with your brother, you can play on one PS4 console that is your primary with a PS Plus account.  IF he wants to join you in a lobby, he will need his own PS Plus Account to get online.   

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

For clarification - If you own GTAV, and you want to play online with your brother, you can play on one PS4 console that is your primary with a PS Plus account.  IF he wants to join you in a lobby, he will need his own PS Plus Account to get online.   

He can take your account and make it primary, you will still be able to play it too.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

Is this something specific to GTA V? I play multiplayer with my wife via 2 PS4s all the time in many games, and only I have PS+ (she doesn't).

She plays on the PS4 where my account is set as primary, so she gets access to my games and the ability to play online. I play on the secondary PS4, and because I'm logged in I can also use all my games and play online.

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 1

make your account the primary on the console the other account will be using and play with your account on the other console, only you need ps+, so far I've only had one game i wasn't able to play without having plus on the second account.

you can only do it on 2 consoles though due to the primary bs.

Edited by Leenewbe
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, PermaFox said:

Had exactly this same problem.  Especially with digital games.  Good post.

• Like 2