Track Hours Played

27 minutes ago, JoniP said:

It doesn't matter the data is public, that doesn't give PSNProfiles or Exophase to process that data. I have given PSNProfiles the right to display my Trophies. They don't need hours to do so no data minimisation is applied:

"the company/organisation must collect and process only the personal data that is necessary to fulfil that purpose (‘data minimisation’);"

Aside from that, they can't claim legitimate interest. The site is about Trophies earned. Tracking hours played doesn't have any effect on Trophies. And even if you could claim that, GDPR does handle usage of data obtained from other sources than the person itself, the rules on that are even stricter.

Most accounts tracked on this site never signed up to the site. I don't believe there was ever a point where you specifically granted PSNProfiles the right to display your trophy data. The closest you'd come is by choosing to make the information public, which includes the hours played. I believe this is actually disabled by default, and you're forced to review every setting each time Playstation makes a change. As you have the ability to make this information inaccessible to PSNProfiles at any time, as well as request removal from the site entirely, I don't think there's really a case to be made for invoking GDPR laws. It's not your right to have your trophy stats tracked, and if that eventually includes hours played, it's not your right to have one tracked without the other.

As for it not being legitimate interest, I'd argue that hours played falls under that. The site already displays information related to time, such as timestamps, and calculated completion times. This is a natural extension to that, and can offer relevant information about how long it typically takes people to earn their trophies (another purpose of the site). They also come as a package on Playstation, Exophase tracks it, TrueAchievements tracks for Xbox users along with countless other things unrelated to achievements.

And finally the company is listed at the bottom of every page as Gaming Profiles Ltd. It's a gaming profile-tracking company, not specifically one limited to trophies, regardless of what this specific site is named.

But if you're right about any of this, then we'd get to a point where you could pick and choose what information you want PSNProfiles to display. For example if the amount of time you've played a game isn't acceptable, then what about when you played a game? Are we going to get people making a case to have their trophy timestamps hidden but not their unlock status, or their trophies but not their username?

On 23/11/2020 at 5:38 PM, fbdbh said:

Some inconsistencies can be explained:

- if you play offline, that time won’t count

- if an application has three games (like Uncharted trilogy), the first game’s time will include all three, while the second and third will show 0 hours

- playing a DLC can be messy (Lost Legacy is a standalone game but might not track or track its time into Uncharted 4)

I've seen a few people say this and it almost seems like people think these are ok reasons for the times to be wrong? They might explain the inconsistencies, but the information is still incorrect.

I just hope it's either offered here on an optional basis and/or Sony give us the option to hide it seperately from hiding trophies. I wouldn't mind if all times were 100% accurate, but it's clear that they're not (both due to inconsistencies & the way it tracks all time in the app and not just time actually spent playing).

5 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

Most accounts tracked on this site never signed up to the site. I don't believe there was ever a point where you specifically granted PSNProfiles the right to display your trophy data.

Then PSNProfiles is liable as they are collecting information without an agreement. Aside from consent, the legal base of collecting information:

1. Processing is necessary to satisfy a contract to which the data subject is a party.
  2. You need to process the data to comply with a legal obligation.
  3. You need to process the data to save somebody’s life.
  4. Processing is necessary to perform a task in the public interest or to carry out some official function.
  5. You have a legitimate interest to process someone’s personal data. This is the most flexible lawful basis, though the “fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject” always override your interests, especially if it’s a child’s data.

PSN Profiles satisfies none of these. And when requesting consent, it always need to be specific.

The closest you'd come is by choosing to make the information public, which includes the hours played. I believe this is actually disabled by default, and you're forced to review every setting each time Playstation makes a change. As you have the ability to make this information inaccessible to PSNProfiles at any time, as well as request removal from the site entirely, I don't think there's really a case to be made for invoking GDPR laws.

And finally the company is listed at the bottom of every page as Gaming Profiles Ltd. It's a gaming profile-tracking company, not specifically one limited to trophies, regardless of what this specific site is named.

GDPR is explicitly opt-in. Data cannot be used unless explicit consent is given for the specific purpose. And that consent isn't giving on PSN itself as PSNProfiles is not a subsidiary of Sony. And that is not dependent on the company name either. For instance, if I give Sony consent to use my data in terms of PlayStation, that doesn't mean they are suddenly allowed to track my television usage.

As for it not being legitimate interest, I'd argue that hours played falls under that.

Is the lack of tracked hours preventing PSNProfiles from fullfilling its intended purpose of tracking Trophy completion? Then the answer is no, this is not legitimate interest. GDPR is really specific about that kind of thing.

Edited by JoniP
  • Like 1

But if you're right about any of this, then we'd get to a point where you could pick and choose what information you want PSNProfiles to display. For example if the amount of time you've played a game isn't acceptable, then what about when you played a game? Are we going to get people making a case to have their trophy timestamps hidden but not their unlock status, or their trophies but not their username?

The difference is those have always been available and therefore people have already accepted to share that by keeping their settings for trophies as public. This is newly added data and people were not given a choice specifically to share it.

Also I want to make this point which I haven't yet (because I didn't know about PS5 at the time and wanted the full facts first)

My main account for example. I can't view these hours myself on PS4, PS3, VITA, PSApp or anything official and neither can any of my friends. I have no privacy options for hours on any of those platforms either. Additionally, friends of mine who own a PS5 also can't see my hours either. So, as far as PSN is concerned they're technically 'private', absolutely no one can see them for my account, yet 3rd party sites seem to be able to show that information on my account, it's almost as if they could be considered as 'leaking' that information since no one else can publicly access it for my account on PSN right now and I had no say.

Still don't know the ins and outs of PS5, but all I know for certain is no one can see my hours except for 3rd party sites that have added the feature as of writing.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

Still don't know the ins and outs of PS5, but all I know for certain is no one can see my hours except for 3rd party sites that have added the feature as of writing.

Time played is available to see on the console itself. 

5 hours ago, StacFace92 said:

They might explain the inconsistencies.

Being able to see times played per title for quite some time, I'm semi familiar with why an inconsistency would occur. Generally, the times will be accurate.

10 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

Time played is available to see on the console itself. 

Is that just for yourself to see or can you also see your friends/friends see yours? Because obviously my friends can't see mine yet as I don't have a PS5, but, when I do get a PS5 will my friends then be able to see my hours too or can I only share this information at the moment by using 3rd party sites?

1 hour ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

Is that just for yourself to see or can you also see your friends/friends see yours?

Anyone with a PS5 will be able to see tracked time on any user's PS5 and PS4 games, unless those games are hidden altogether. 

Edited by B1rvine

11 hours ago, BeautifulTorment said:

Would love the ability to hide playtime. Don't roll out a PSNP option without providing the ability to block it. 

While I would probably be willing to keep my play time public, I do believe that people should have a right to privacy if this website does implement it, similarly to how you can omit your 0% trophy lists. Most people use this website as their means of viewing people's trophy lists and don't normally go out of their way to view people on the console itself, I wouldn't like the ease of access of viewing people's play time to be on this website because a lot of toxic elitists roam this website.

I am going to add that the play time stat isn't completely accurate so I feel like it shouldn't ever be used as evidence in a dispute, some of my play time is missing and initially when the feature launched it said that my play time on Payday 2 Crimewave Edition was 5 hours, now it has corrected itself to an accurate representation of my play time. It will be shit if people need to dispute their flags and the reason for the flag is "played less time than average according to their play time stat", I saw someone do that recently when they tried to call out Hakoom for some play times that weren't being tracked accurately. All in all, it is a decent feature, just not one that this community could behave themselves with.

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

Cue the battle of the "true" fastest achievers.

Player A get a platinum in 10hours in a single day.  10 hours game time, 10 hours from first timestamp to last.

Player B gets the same platinum in 8 hours, but spread out over 3 days.  8 hours game time, but say 60 hours from first timestamp to last.

Who got it faster?  Mind. Blown. Lol

Edited by AJ_-_808
Double posted

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Cue the battle of the "true" fastest achievers.

Player A get a platinum in 10hours in a single day.  10 hours game time, 10 hours from first timestamp to last.

Player B gets the same platinum in 8 hours, but spread out over 3 days.  8 hours game time, but say 60 hours from first timestamp to last.

Who got it faster?  Mind. Blown. Lol

This is why “fastest achievers” are pointless. The only reasons I have a game or two as a fast or even fastest achiever are 2 things: there was a trophy guide, and I did it in 1 sitting (a fact there’s no way to conceal ._.)

“First achievers” are not so pointless. After all, they were the first to figure out that part or whole of the game, and they’re sticking their necks out for the rest of us for could-be impossible trophies/100%.

Time played is just a number ?‍♂️
Imagine the Dualsense detecting fingerprints around the controller when trophies unlock, to make sure it was You who did it.

• 3 weeks later...