Anyone else hoping for more Katamari

Samakin_Pie

As much as I love this game, it’s a little underwhelming compared to We Love Katamari and Beautiful Katamari. It still confuses me why they chose this one and why it took 2 years to come to playstation. Here’s hoping they rerelease more katamari games, or better yet release a new katamari game.

• Like 4

It might be the nostalgia goggles, but Katamary Damacy is the one I've enjoyed the most. I've also played We Love Katamari and Beautiful Katamari and found the locations and soundtrack of the former much better than the later ones (which are also amazing, btw). Looking forward for this plat, but will wait for a sale to get it.

• Like 1

Absolutely hoping for more Katamari. Bought this one twice (Switch physical and PS4 digital) and would gladly re-buy more Katamari titles if they put them out. These games are just so much fun! No bullshit, just simple, satisfying gameplay and a massively enjoyable soundtrack to go with it.

We Love Katamari probably plays the best, but I think the soundtrack on the first game is the best.

I am even quite nostalgic now for the PS3 version.

It's a shame that both the PS3 and this version suffer from slowdown sometimes.

I mean why should there be slowdown in this game, PS3 perhaps, with all the new shader renders you could do in the game. But this version is basically the PS2 version in higher res just for PS4 and it's not even 60fps either, still stuck at 30fps.

Anyway, yes I hope we get all the other versions, I will certainly buy them all.

I just completed the game, only the roll up everything trophy now. Just looked at my collection, 89%....

As much as I love this game, I don't think I can be bothered with the platinum this time around. Felt like I was playing for 2 weeks on the PS3 version just to roll up all the items and the cowbear stuff, but at least on that version you had the turbo boost engine mode to speed things up. 91% completion is likely enough for me.

Hopefully We Love Katamary will be released sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of playing the originals. My first foray was Katamari Forever on PS3. I have yet to play Reroll on PS4, but the wife and I played quite a bit on Switch, as it has been out there for a while now. 

I completely agree OP that this game felt very underwhelming compared to the majesty that was Katamari Forever!! Let's just hope that if enough people buy this and show interest, then this will spark them to create a brand new Katamari experience!! That being said, I still plan on picking this one up and adding another Katamari plat to my collection ?

It would be amazing with more Katamari. Imagine a true next-gen katamari: the scale and scope of the world, the amount of items on display. I believe it would be immensely fun! And i believe that the concept is still truly great. I thouroughly enjoyed Katamari forever on the ps3 but seeing as ps4 or 5 release of a new katamri would be a dream-come-true! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Would be nice to see a We Love Katamari (my first Katamari game!) Reroll, or even better - a whole new Katamari. The original Katamari Damacy is still great, but as mentioned, feels a bit underwhelming compared to later games (kinda hard to go back after you've rolled up the entire Earth country by country lol)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 8:02 PM, celobrock said:

It might be the nostalgia goggles, but Katamary Damacy is the one I've enjoyed the most. I've also played We Love Katamari and Beautiful Katamari and found the locations and soundtrack of the former much better than the later ones (which are also amazing, btw). Looking forward for this plat, but will wait for a sale to get it.

I too enjoyed the original the most…until I played this. I really miss the QoL improvements from the sequel, and especially from Katamari Forever. Playing this game is still OK ( the soundtrack remains), but I really miss things like jumping and the like.

The lousy trophy list doesn’t help. Nothing for making a max size star, or getting shooting stars. 

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I too enjoyed the original the most…until I played this. I really miss the QoL improvements from the sequel, and especially from Katamari Forever. Playing this game is still OK ( the soundtrack remains), but I really miss things like jumping and the like.

The lousy trophy list doesn’t help. Nothing for making a max suze star, or getting shooting stars. 

Exactly. Though I've played a little bit of Katamari Forever from my ex-gf's PS3, now that I've bought one with the game, I'll be able to play it more and make a better judgement, but I remember it was pretty fun! I couldn't get some trophies for Katamari Re-Roll yet, unfortunately (goddamn cows & bears), but I agree about the trophy list as well. I was honestly hoping for something challenging, but not annoying and lousy.

Katamari Forever is the collection to get I guess. Some of the charm of the original games are lost there though, and some levels missing.

This one is pretty true to the original, but has a lot of minor changes. I hope they do the same for the second game as well. I'm less fan of Beautiful.

Trophy list was okay. Yes, there's no overachieving stuff, it's all rather simple. Pretty much complete each level and find all the items. Without the all items trophy, I'd say it'd be lousy, and I'm sort of happy it didn't have a lot of maxing trophies, though in some way it could have been fun too. idk

It has cowbear and holy cow, along with all the pencils etc! :) This cowbear is a bit different than the one in Forever. Forever had some hot and cold devil, but eh, was pretty easy. Once you learn some good paths for cowbear and holy cow, you get the correct size pretty fast and easy, but they can still be a bitch to catch.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

After wanting to play this for almost 2 decades, I was fairly disappointed when I finally tried it about a month ago. One of the draws of this game for me was it's basic concept, but I feel the controls are....not great.....and don't live up to what I hoped this game would be. I also don't enjoy the pressure-cooker nature of a couple of the missions. Especially in conjunction with the WEIRD controls. Both the "original" and "simple" setups kind of suck in different ways. If I am able to resist going for the last trophies I need, I will consider it a win in warding off mental illness, because I was not looking forward to the prospect. 

• Like 1

On 24/10/2021 at 4:09 AM, COKTOE said:

After wanting to play this for almost 2 decades, I was fairly disappointed when I finally tried it about a month ago. One of the draws of this game for me was it's basic concept, but I feel the controls are....not great.....and don't live up to what I hoped this game would be. I also don't enjoy the pressure-cooker nature of a couple of the missions. Especially in conjunction with the WEIRD controls. Both the "original" and "simple" setups kind of suck in different ways. If I am able to resist going for the last trophies I need, I will consider it a win in warding off mental illness, because I was not looking forward to the prospect. 

Having played WLK on PS2, KF on PS3 and TMK on Vita - I'd say this KD remake is the weakest of the bunch.

After playing later instalments, this one really suffers from lack of jump and it feels really janky to me on the whole. The bump penalties seem way too harsh, but the levels are also much too long. It just ends up dull and frustrating.

Maybe the unity logo at the start should have warned me off.

Edited by DordorTheSwift
typo
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:43 AM, DordorTheSwift said:

Having played WLK on PS2, KF on PS3 and TMK on Vita - I'd say this KD remake is the weakest of the bunch.

After playing later instalments, this one really suffers from lack of jump and it feels really janky to me on the whole. The bump penalties seem way too harsh, but the levels are also much too long. It just ends up dull and frustrating.

Maybe the unity logo at the start should have warned me off.

Just adding this too....This almost 20 year old, single-player game has an EULA that the player has to agree to before playing. Because my money in exchange for a product isn't enough. The ghouls at Namco need to access my digital information, so they can sell it to their cockroach friends. I don't like crap like this. That's why my plat for Far Cry 4 is not complete, what with the utter nonsense of U-Play. I'll remember this the next time I see a Namco game though.

9 hours ago, COKTOE said:

Just adding this too....This almost 20 year old, single-player game has an EULA that the player has to agree to before playing. Because my money in exchange for a product isn't enough. The ghouls at Namco need to access my digital information, so they can sell it to their cockroach friends. I don't like crap like this. That's why my plat for Far Cry 4 is not complete, what with the utter nonsense of U-Play. I'll remember this the next time I see a Namco game though.

I guess you don't know much of the story of this game?

Anyway, I had great fun replaying it. :)  I do agree with Dordor about the length of certain levels. It can get a bit much replaying a couple of the later levels for some few items you still miss, just to screw it up and have to try again.

As for time pressure and the controls? Eh, it's fine, nothing much tbh. The controls are a bit of the charm, and a bit of the challenge. You usually do get strangely quickly accustomed to it though. If you felt on the time pressure, know that time really isn't a real issue once you get a bit into the game, an that you can do a whole lot better. You may want to re-think your approach to the levels. You don't need to learn the levels or anything, it's just, you need to just learn to follow the trails and figure out more correctly what you can pick up at any given time. The only trial and error in this game is a couple of items for the collectible trophy, but mostly for holy cow and cowbear. The rest is rather simple.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 4:29 AM, MMDE said:

I guess you don't know much of the story of this game?

Anyway, I had great fun replaying it. :)  I do agree with Dordor about the length of certain levels. It can get a bit much replaying a couple of the later levels for some few items you still miss, just to screw it up and have to try again.

As for time pressure and the controls? Eh, it's fine, nothing much tbh. The controls are a bit of the charm, and a bit of the challenge. You usually do get strangely quickly accustomed to it though. If you felt on the time pressure, know that time really isn't a real issue once you get a bit into the game, an that you can do a whole lot better. You may want to re-think your approach to the levels. You don't need to learn the levels or anything, it's just, you need to just learn to follow the trails and figure out more correctly what you can pick up at any given time. The only trial and error in this game is a couple of items for the collectible trophy, but mostly for holy cow and cowbear. The rest is rather simple.

I guess the whole experience is going to hit everybody differently. Where I left off, completing the main story, I was already generally not a fan of the controls, and not enjoying the more difficult missions. It looks as is the post game content ups the difficulty, so I would most likely not enjoy that either. A PSN friend who got the plat echoed similar sentiments, and told me he did not have fun collecting all the pickups. Having said that, I may go for it eventually. Sometimes I put off going for certain things that I think suck for a long stretch. Like the Rocketbirds 2 "UFO Hit And Run" kill all enemies while escaping trophy, or the Flappy Bird Trophy from Goat Simulator. Then again, as I already mentioned I may not even bother, and chalk it up as a win.

As for your advice, I was already approaching the levels as you are outlining, but could improve at knowing when I can pick up increasingly bigger objects, as I messed that aspect up more often than I should be considering it's importance. The thing is though, if I'm not enjoying something, I'm less inclined to get better at it. Or maybe even less able to get better. Thanks for the tip though.

"I guess you don't know much of the story of this game?"

You mean about it's development history? Not really. I read previews and reviews about it in the magazines of the time all those years ago, and know it's generally well liked. I don't know much of anything about it beyond that.

6 hours ago, COKTOE said:

I guess the whole experience is going to hit everybody differently. Where I left off, completing the main story, I was already generally not a fan of the controls, and not enjoying the more difficult missions. It looks as is the post game content ups the difficulty, so I would most likely not enjoy that either. A PSN friend who got the plat echoed similar sentiments, and told me he did not have fun collecting all the pickups. Having said that, I may go for it eventually. Sometimes I put off going for certain things that I think suck for a long stretch. Like the Rocketbirds 2 "UFO Hit And Run" kill all enemies while escaping trophy, or the Flappy Bird Trophy from Goat Simulator. Then again, as I already mentioned I may not even bother, and chalk it up as a win.

As for your advice, I was already approaching the levels as you are outlining, but could improve at knowing when I can pick up increasingly bigger objects, as I messed that aspect up more often than I should be considering it's importance. The thing is though, if I'm not enjoying something, I'm less inclined to get better at it. Or maybe even less able to get better. Thanks for the tip though.

"I guess you don't know much of the story of this game?"

You mean about it's development history? Not really. I read previews and reviews about it in the magazines of the time all those years ago, and know it's generally well liked. I don't know much of anything about it beyond that.

The controls are nothing like the games you compare it to. Those games have terrible controls, often purposefully so.

This game actually has pretty good controls, you just need to get used to it, as it's very different. What I mean by the charm is the fact that you need to balance the ball around correctly too. Be wary of how the things you pick up affect your ability to roll and where you can roll etc. I did have more issues with climbing walls in this one though, and I struggled a bit more with 180 degree rotation and running.

Did you turn on the music and just sit back and relax a bit? Don't stress, just be excited and roll with the flow. The two things that will make you pull your hair out is the holy cow and cowbear. ? In both levels you need to roll up quite the size while avoiding all the wrong items. EASY after some few tries! BUT you need to roll up the item too... The cowbear moves around and runs away when you get large enough, so gotta ambush it......... The Holy Cow has two locations, one is surrounded by other cows at a lower section almost impossible to get to without hitting any other cow. While the other is hiding in some bushes with a lot of smaller cows and will run away if you get too close. Both cows and the bear for that matter will likely fall over on the ground and need to be rolled at a second time to fully pick it up.... without picking up any other item you don't wanna in the process. Neither are easy levels to navigate in the first place. >_<

Anything else, as I said, is pretty damn easy. Not sure why you struggle, if that is what you do. Unless you're in one of the long levels, there's very little at stake if you don't make it either, so no need to stress. The longer levels have plenty of time and you should have plenty of experience by that point. I'm currently in the top 5 fastest 100% for this game, and I didn't practice beforehand or play the older games in years.

Edited by MMDE

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 7:15 AM, MMDE said:

The Holy Cow has two locations, one is surrounded by other cows at a lower section almost impossible to get to without hitting any other cow. While the other is hiding in some bushes with a lot of smaller cows and will run away if you get too close. Both cows and the bear for that matter will likely fall over on the ground and need to be rolled at a second time to fully pick it up.... without picking up any other item you don't wanna in the process. Neither are easy levels to navigate in the first place. >_<

One of the times I was going for the Holy Cow I ran out of time after knocking it over. It bounced and landed in the water, so I was falling to the ground when the timer ran out. Got a nice lecture from that too, lol.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw this in the shop earlier for Switch, and was happy to see it being announced also for PS4 and PS5.

Honestly hoping they also re-release the XBox ones as I haven't played that one. I'd even revisit the PS3 one if they re-released it. The PS3 version is wow, honestly nostalgic about getting my PS3 since it was maybe the 3rd or 4th game I ever had that had trophies in it (if I recall)

I pray to god there isn't a trophy for 1 million roses though, no way I am rubber banding my analogue sticks and leaving my game on for days like I did on PS2 (Can't believe I did such a thing even before trophies came along.... I mean why?! lol)

Edited by enaysoft

• 1 month later...