Remove in-video ads from PS4 Youtube app

JoesusHCrust

A few months back, I turned on my PS4 to watch Youtube and to my dismay, all of a sudden my videos were full of annoying adverts that pop up mid-sentence repeatedly throughout videos. I don't mind the adverts at the beginning of videos (Youtube content creators have to make a living) but I'd dearly love to stop these bloody in-video ads! Any way that people know to do it? Can I revert to an earlier version of Youtube? Is there an adblocker function available for PS4? Anything else? Thanks!! 

• Like 1

It is kinda annoying although I just plug my laptop into my TV now and watch youtube like that, then you can just block the adverts.

It also somehow feels like a waste of the PS4's lifespan to use it to just watch youtube or play DVD/Blu Ray in it.

• Like 1

On 8.12.2020 at 11:37 AM, JoesusHCrust said:

A few months back, I turned on my PS4 to watch Youtube and to my dismay, all of a sudden my videos were full of annoying adverts that pop up mid-sentence repeatedly throughout videos. I don't mind the adverts at the beginning of videos (Youtube content creators have to make a living) but I'd dearly love to stop these bloody in-video ads! Any way that people know to do it? Can I revert to an earlier version of Youtube? Is there an adblocker function available for PS4? Anything else? Thanks!! 

These ads are so pointless. I never watch one of them and always wait to be able to click it away while my mind is at a completely different place..

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

It also somehow feels like a waste of the PS4's lifespan to use it to just watch youtube or play DVD/Blu Ray in it.

I don’t just watch YouTube or play DVD/BluRays with it, but there’s no reason not to use it for those things when I’m not playing games on it. 

• Like 1

On 08.12.2020 at 8:37 PM, JoesusHCrust said:

You can use router and block connection to certain addresses.

Look up for AdBlock filter pages or google YouTube ads related domains.

I did it once I learned how MiktoTik works with dropping connections.

Edited by guy who says bruh

11 hours ago, skateak said:

Weird. I watch YouTube all the time and never have had an ad mid video on my PS4. I have had them before the video though.

Lucky! Mine never used to do it and then one day..........it just started popping up adverts all over the place. 

10 hours ago, Sikutai said:

These ads are so pointless. I never watch one of them and always wait to be able to click it away while my mind is at a completely different place..

I think they're worse than pointless! They actively turn me off buying the product advertised as I resent the intrusion. I was trying to watch Pearl Harbour minute by minute yesterday and the adverts kept popping up at the most inappropriate moments! I'm just in the middle of learning about this horrific attack and then I have to watch several seconds of Tommy Hilfiger!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, guy who says bruh said:

You can use router and block connection to certain addresses.

Look up for AdBlock filter pages or google YouTube ads related domains.

I did it once I learned how MiktoTik works with dropping connections.

That doesn’t quite work with YouTube ads any more since the same server (domain) that’s serving you the video is the one delivering the ad. You can’t block one without blocking both. 

Really winds me up when there's 2 adverts at the start of a video. The first one will always show as being skippable after 5 seconds but the advert itself lasts for 4.99999 so it automatically goes to the second.

However, whoever decided to put adverts in midway through videos is going to burn in a very special level of hell.

• Like 3

I tried PiHole to block the adds but it turns out it’s not that easy, so now I just pay for YT Premium :( no ads at all though... across any device you watch YT on.

However PiHole works really well except for services that put the ads through the same URL as the video itself, like YT, Twitch, Amazon Prime just as DaivRules explains above.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

While not perfect you could try using adguard. I used to use it a lot on my phone before i had a proper firewall setup.

They asked for solutions for the PS4, I don’t think AdGuard will help there. 

41 minutes ago, InfraRedPS said:

I tried PiHole to block the adds but it turns out it’s not that easy, so now I just pay for YT Premium :( no ads at all though... across any device you watch YT on.

However PiHole works really well except for services that put the ads through the same URL as the video itself, like YT, Twitch, Amazon Prime just as DaivRules explains above.

I have a PiHole zero I’ve experimented with quite a bit over the last year and it was inevitable that services would take the easy steps they did. I’m looking forward to some interesting new approaches that some people are experimenting with. 

There is a trick that you can do that may work (it works on mobile app anyway). If you scroll the video timebar all the way to a few seconds prior to the end of the video, allow the ad to play that happens, and then restart the video (providing you have the rewatch video button on PS4....) once it finishes, the video will no longer have ads. Not very useful if you watch short videos, but if you are watching something that is quite long, it may be worthwhile. :dunno:I don't watch youtube on PS4 though, but whatever the case may be, hopefully you find a solution that works for you.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

They asked for solutions for the PS4, I don’t think AdGuard will help there. 

You can change your DNS servers on ps4, you'll just send your requests towards their servers. Like i said, it used to work perfectly on my phone, not sure how well it works now but it's worth a try. I see you mentioned Pihole but Adguard is basically the same thing, the only difference being that you're running pihole locally, i suppose, instead of using the cloud.

EDIT: Besides there are a ton of alternatives to Pihole that would require a bit of set-up as well. Like setting up your own ad-filtering proxy to route your traffic through or if you want to drop some money get a proper L7 firewall.

Edited by xZoneHunter

1 hour ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Lucky! Mine never used to do it and then one day..........it just started popping up adverts all over the place. 

I think they're worse than pointless! They actively turn me off buying the product advertised as I resent the intrusion. I was trying to watch Pearl Harbour minute by minute yesterday and the adverts kept popping up at the most inappropriate moments! I'm just in the middle of learning about this horrific attack and then I have to watch several seconds of Tommy Hilfiger!! 

YES!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

You can change your DNS servers on ps4, you'll just send your requests towards their servers. Like i said, it used to work perfectly on my phone, not sure how well it works now but it's worth a try. I see you mentioned Pihole but Adguard is basically the same thing, the only difference being that you're running pihole locally, i suppose, instead of using the cloud.

EDIT: Besides there are a ton of alternatives to Pihole that would require a bit of set-up as well. Like setting up your own ad-filtering proxy to route your traffic through or if you want to drop some money get a proper L7 firewall.

Yeah, I was just referring to people not having luck with getting AdGuard to do anything on YouTube ads on PS4: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Adguard/comments/av4qdl/does_it_work_on_ps4/