Cyberpunk 2077 - overpromise, sell, underdeliver (Crowbcat)

Lordidude

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

Whats the point of this obnoxiously "wise ass" quote you may ask?

Well in all honesty I didn't know much about Cyberpunk before watching this video. More or less just the basic stuff (Futuristic setting, Keanu Reeves, RPG made by the Witcher guys) and of course the numerous bugs and glitches that has apparently been crippling this game from its release. Basically up until now I thought the game was more or less what people had expected minus the buggy stuff.

Now that I've seen this video(review?) I got to say the bugs and glitches in all honesty as immersion breaking and frustrating as they might be dont seem like this games biggest problem anymore. After all with enough time (and patches ...) MOST of this stuff can probably be ironed out and make the game for the most part playable ... but from what I've just seen even if the game was "bug free" it still just seemed like an ... average (maybe even slightly below average) FPS RPG.

Can't speak for the story which for all I know could be amazing but the gameplay .. my god as he kept pilling on the comparisons to games as far back as the PS2 it really hit home how much of a letdown this game appears to be in multiple areas. Add to that the promises for game features that were never even kept in the first place (seriously reminds you of No mans sky back in the day) and you've got yourself a pretty nasty combo.

Oh well I'm just glad I was never aboard the hype train (more like wreck at this point)

13 hours ago, PeachXHime said:

They misrepresented everything and you're still blaming the consumer? I didn't pre-order this game myself but that is some flawed rhetoric to say the least

Yes and it makes no sense. We call these people "sheep". People who will defend anything they love no matter what. Every criticism towards CDPR is well justified. I will never buy anything from them again. And I still haven't gotten a refund. I just don't care about playing it anymore.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lordidude said:

A friend lost a lot of money this way and he is joining the class action lawsuit for fraud.

Your friend is joining a class action lawsuit because he lost money in the stock market? If that's what you meant then please tell your friend to never invest in stocks again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Titan said:

Yes and it makes no sense. We call these people "sheep". People who will defend anything they love no matter what. Every criticism towards CDPR is well justified. I will never buy anything from them again. And I still haven't gotten a refund. I just don't care about playing it anymore.

CDPR has gotten it as bad as they're going to get it.  If they are ever going to learn a lesson, they already have.  From here lawsuits will settle, the game will get fixed, we know what they're capable of for next time.  There's nothing more to gain from the relentless assault on the PSNP forums that CDPR won't see anyways.  All you're doing now is continuing to beat the bloody stump that was anyone who has actually listened to this for the last month, and getting mad at the stump for quivering back at you.  You can stop now.  It's okay.  You survived.

Now is the time for self-reflection.  You've done what you can to fix CDPR, now we must fix ourselves.  Shouting inward instead of outward.  This is the only way to be whole.  If you preordered the game, it's a lesson learned.  If you didn't, the wounds aren't as deep but you can still heal.  Breathe.

Edited by Dreakon13

As the saying goes: You know you messed up when Crowbcat wakes up to make a video. ?

I'm glad I held off on pre-ordering it since I intended to play it on PS5 whenever they release the complete edition. But seeing all the bugs and glitches is a shame to look at for a game that promised so much. They had a ton of good faith from The Witcher 3 and I guess it could be said that it was going to sell well no matter what because of that since CDPR had a lot of trust compared to most other devs. Like I can't imagine any other dev getting the same amount of optimism for all those promised gameplay features the way CDPR did. I really want them to earn that trust back but I feel like they won't be able to have all the features they intended without basically re-doing most of the game. At the very least I think I would be okay with the bugs and glitches removed while also adding things that make it seem like a game that actually came out in 2020 whereas in the current state as the video shows there are games from the 2000's that have more features going for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

There's nothing more to gain from the relentless assault on the PSNP forums that CDPR won't see anyways.  All you're doing now is continuing to beat the bloody stump that was anyone who has actually listened to this for the last month, and getting mad at the stump for quivering back at you.  You can stop now.  It's okay.  You survived.

Don't care, game sucks. I have a right to call it out. Just like how Watch Dogs Legion or Miles Morales were bad overpriced trash so is Cyberpunk 2077. You're right that I learned something. I learned to stick to Japanese games. Western games are dead to me now. 

• Like 2

The bugs/glitches can be ironed out over time (which I'm not making an excuse for btw), but based on the video, they made several promises that never made it into the final product, which is quite disappointing. Even the articles that recently came out with one of the staff members stating that a 2022 launch window would have been more realistic given that they would have a lot more time to continue working on the game is even more disappointing to hear; I felt like we would have received the developer's vision on what they really wanted their game to look like at the end instead of the rushed version that was handed to us by leadership (unless of course, both parties are to blame). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Your friend is joining a class action lawsuit because he lost money in the stock market? If that's what you meant then please tell your friend to never invest in stocks again. 

It's not about losing money but about false promises.

Being a lawyer myself I really do not see this lawsuit going anywhere since there are no precedent cases in my country for fraud on entertainment media.

I'm glad I jumped ship early enough and sold most shares early enough.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DaivRules said:

There would be a whole lot less whining in the world if people would do two things:

1. Realize they’re subjecting themselves to marketing, constantly. 

Marketing is one thing.

False promises and blatant lies should never be the consumer's fault who believed them.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Voland44 said:

you completely miss the point, if you thinks this is ONLY about 60$. which actually can be refunded after all

You're right. The point is stop falling for false promises put out by these companies for sometimes years ahead of time by eating up everything they put out there.

Just now, Lordidude said:

Marketing is one thing.

False promises and blatant lies should never be the consumer's fault who believed them.

I agree to a point. All those "false promises and blatant lies" were the marketing. Why should consumers be completely off the hook for giving money for only promises like a bunch of suckers? Both parties are to blame here. A company who marketed for years ahead of time and blind consumers who just hyped themselves up and bought in. This company put out something that didn't deliver on what they said it would, but that's always a risk when you give money without examining if the product doesn't match the promises. It took one day of being out for this to be revealed and responsible consumers waited that one day so they could see what they were forking their hard earned money for.

Just now, Voland44 said:

sorry, are we both talking about CDPR who made Witcher 3, like, one of the best games in this genreation?

I don't know about one of the best games in this generation, I haven't played it but all I've heard about it is it's a buggy mess that crashes hard drives. And we're talking about every company out there and all the people who bathe themselves in constant ads for their products.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lordidude said:

Marketing is one thing.

Agreed, there's marketing regulations to protect against that kind of thing (depending on your country of course)

Many cover their backs yet can safely 'lie' with wording that suggests or implies rather than outright tells people something (depending how strict regulations are).

In the case of Cyberpunk, they instead have outright lied in their marketing, flat out statements of 'fact' which were shown to be false upon release. This sadly was not some typical jazzy and slightly misleading marketing that hooked some 'gullible idiots' by implying it's a better game than it was, they outright said 'this is how it is' and sure enough, this is not how it is.

Whilst yes, I certainly think we as consumers should learn considering how prevalent this has been in modern gaming, I can't outright hold the customer at fault completely.

Whilst we've had FO76, Anthem and others, their marketing wasn't as outright misrepresentative as Cyberpunk, which feels weird to think about, because I guess Cyberpunk is technically a better game than those ?

Edited by JohnCenaSong-
  • Like 4

There is a reason I never pre-order games. I buy a game after I can see what it is about and how it performs. I will buy this game probably next year or the year after, after all problems are solved. Remember Star Wars Battlefront 2? That game had an absolute shitstorm of criticism over it. I bought it 3 years after release and absolutely enjoyed it, no problems whatsoever. 

There is nothing wrong with pre-ordering, but people have to realize pre-ordering is like investing. You invest into a game hoping it will be an amazing game. And like all investments it is risky businesses. Sometimes, investments fail.

Just now, DaivRules said:

I don't know about one of the best games in this generation, I haven't played it but all I've heard about it is it's a buggy mess that crashes hard drives. And we're talking about every company out there and all the people who bathe themselves in constant ads for their products.

then learn something you dont know. thing is 2077 is in 10x worse state, and just worst game basically

and its not only about promises, did you even watch video? they rip off many thing they showed us. and CDPR literally didnt showed real state of the game. whole PR company is shadiest i ever saw. 

other companies? ok lets see for example. Avengers? they showed pretty same thing we get + there was open beta for everyone. Anthem? same here. Fallout 76? same here. Breakpoint? same here. or lets remember simple downgrades. r6 siege\division\watch dogs was hated for downgrading graphics. BUT there was only first showcase with false graphics. all other showcases towards to release date(even years of waiting) were with real graphics + first two were also with open betas. 

but 2077? we didnt know about real state of the game until release date

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cauvuh_Lakrwa said:

And like all investments it is risky businesses. Sometimes, investments fail.

you totally right. but on most cases you can predict what you will get, before release date. but no one could predict such disaster

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

And yet people still blindly gave their money. That's the definition of risk.

did you even read my examples? this 2077 situation is one of the kind. also its first time when Sony delete game from store. and i think most ppl wouldnt preorder CDPR game next time

Edited by Voland44
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voland44 said:

did you even read my examples? this 2077 situation is one of the kind. 

So you're saying that other games allowed people to experience the game through a Beta environment, so people could be informed about what they were going to get before giving over their money.

And this game didn't allow players to know anything about what they were actually buying but people gave their money anyway. And people didn't question that at all.

On 19/01/2021 at 6:50 AM, Lordidude said:

Probably the best thing that C2077 has done is waking Crowbcat from his hiatus so he can create his Magnum Opus.

The video essay covers not only the insane amount of bugs but also the blatant lies and promised features that were never realized.

Enjoy.

Love this channel ?? just this cyberpunk mess to make him return from his slumber.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

So you're saying that other games allowed people to experience the game through a Beta environment, so people could be informed about what they were going to get before giving over their money.

yeah, thats why Early Access is even a thing. there no problem if ppl know for what they paying for. especially when they can try them for free in open betas, if we talking about AAA games

8 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

If they are ever going to learn a lesson, they already have.  From here lawsuits will settle, the game will get fixed, we know what they're capable of for next time. 

CDPR is a brand, where did you pull all this wisdom from? Not like you actually know what's playing under the hood so these are all baseless assumptions. They had success in the past but that has nothing to do with their current state. Face the facts, they are evident. Did you watch the video?

Edited by PeachXHime