The "Band" Games

Dreakon139

I'll level with you all, the Guitar Hero series has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. I haven't played ANY of the recent iterations of it but I was addicted during it's golden age on the PS2. I watched as the various companies rose and fell, Red Octane, Harmonix, Activision, the Band Hero's, Guitar Hero's, Rock Band's... I never got into them (as much as I wanted to) due to lack of people to play with locally and not wanting to spend $100's of dollars on plastic instruments.

My situation hasn't changed all too much since the PS2 days, though I'm making more money and I'm living on my own. So... now that these games are starting to get a bit past their prime, I'm debating looking into getting something like this for cheap. Hopefully.

There are a lot of games like this out there though. Band Hero (whatever the heck that was) seemed short-lived, Guitar Hero started implementing other instruments just to confuse me and Rock Band seems to be the staple.

If I wanted to "get into" these band games... how would you recommend I go about it? I don't see the bundles at Gamestop these days anymore, so I'd probably have to either find it online somewhere (eBay perhaps?) or buy the instruments seperately. If possible though, I'd much prefer a big bundle with everything brand new for a reasonable price.

Would Rock Band 3 be the way to go? Are there any new iterations of Rock Band or band games in general I should just save my money and wait for? If Rock Band 3 is "as good as it gets", how is the online? Populated? How are the trophies? That kinda stuff.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: After strolling around on eBay looking for Rock Band 3 bundle PS3, I've come to the conclusion this won't be as easy as I thought. Not only do supplies seem sparce, but the few on there are $100+. Sad. :( I'm still curious though what band game is the best out there nowadays though, so discuss!

Although the game never caught my ionterest enough to look into them (I think it is because I used to play actual guitar for 20+ years, and am afraid these games would just be a cheap "Are you serious...what a joke?" type of feel to them).

At any rate, I have seen "Rock Band" bundles quite often at WalMart....not sure if they have or include everything you need, or if those are even the types of bundles you are referring to....but the box is big as hell so I would assume they include everything.

Just an observation from seeing the bundles on the shelf, not any familiarity with the game/bundles themselves.

Although the game never caught my ionterest enough to look into them (I think it is because I used to play actual guitar for 20+ years, and am afraid these games would just be a cheap "Are you serious...what a joke?" type of feel to them).

As someone who has never touched a real guitar, the little plastic ones that make sounds go on the TV certainly do get my jolly's off. :)

hmm...depends what you like, and how far you wanna go with this stuff, but off my head i can think of 3 games, depending on interest:

1- If you arent the BEST at guitar, and dont really intend to learn at all, or you just want to mess around, I would say Rock Band 2. it has a very wide range of songs to purchase, it has all the instruments, and its really fun. Also, if you want to do Rock Band 3, but arent too good, play this.

2- If you want to possibly learn to play real guitar, but arent that good as of now (and have a guitar), buy Rocksmith. I dont have this game, so i cant say much outside reviews...but it works with a real guitar, and seems to be a good guitar-teaching game. Its easy to play, has some good rock songs, and has minigames...but its more for learning to play guitar, nothing else.

3- If you are good with guitar or any of the other instruments, want a Rock Band kind of game (with the range of music and such), and want a music game that is more realistic, then get Rock Band 3. This has Pro mode, which is like Rocksmith with the real strings/notes instead of colored buttons..but the guitars for that are expensive. This would be for if you wanna really take playing these instruments somewhere

...also, i feel the need to note: DONT buy these games with the intent to plat them easily or anything...its possible, but a bitch to do (except for Rocksmith it looks like).

As someone who has never touched a real guitar, the little plastic ones that make sounds go on the TV certainly do get my jolly's off. :)

I have to admit they look fun....but I wish I knew someone that actually played it close by so that I could give it a try first. I just am not too sure about purchasing the game and the peripheral for a game I am not sure if I would like or not.

2- If you want to possibly learn to play real guitar, but arent that good as of now (and have a guitar), buy Rocksmith. I dont have this game, so i cant say much outside reviews...but it works with a real guitar, and seems to be a good guitar-teaching game. Its easy to play, has some good rock songs, and has minigames...but its more for learning to play guitar, nothing else.

That's an interesting idea. If I would have to spend $100+ on some silly Rock Band game anyways that would be a bitch to get people over to play anyways... might as well learn something from it.

Perhaps... :P

Forget the other games. Get Rocksmith if you're gonna dish out the money, especially if you already own an electric guitar. Otherwise, if you're gonna drop a lot of money for a guitar, it might as well be one that does something for you outside of the game. Maybe you don't really want to learn the electric guitar, but in my opinion, I don't see why people would play a simplified version when they can do the real thing. Rocksmith seems to be the perfect outlet for it.

. Maybe you don't really want to learn the electric guitar, but in my opinion, I don't see why people would play a simplified version when they can do the real thing.

Here's my question. Then why play Madden, MLB The Show or any other sports games. But back on topic. Rock Band 3 is the way to go imo. Good songs easy to learn and u can DL the songs from the previous RB games onto it.

I of course don't know what instrument(s) you are the most interested in but i can tell you that if you want to play drums and are not looking for anything that complicated, i suggest Rock Band 2 or 1. I found the tracking in those games to be way better than in the Guitar Hero games, also, you have a crap tonne of DLC lying at the palm of your hands if you get bored with the on-disc songs :)

Of course it's in the end your choice and your choice only, these are merely my findings as i've played a lot of those games :)

I'll level with you all, the Guitar Hero series has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. I haven't played ANY of the recent iterations of it but I was addicted during it's golden age on the PS2. I watched as the various companies rose and fell, Red Octane, Harmonix, Activision, the Band Hero's, Guitar Hero's, Rock Band's... I never got into them (as much as I wanted to) due to lack of people to play with locally and not wanting to spend $100's of dollars on plastic instruments.

My situation hasn't changed all too much since the PS2 days, though I'm making more money and I'm living on my own. So... now that these games are starting to get a bit past their prime, I'm debating looking into getting something like this for cheap. Hopefully.

There are a lot of games like this out there though. Band Hero (whatever the heck that was) seemed short-lived, Guitar Hero started implementing other instruments just to confuse me and Rock Band seems to be the staple.

If I wanted to "get into" these band games... how would you recommend I go about it? I don't see the bundles at Gamestop these days anymore, so I'd probably have to either find it online somewhere (eBay perhaps?) or buy the instruments seperately. If possible though, I'd much prefer a big bundle with everything brand new for a reasonable price.

Would Rock Band 3 be the way to go? Are there any new iterations of Rock Band or band games in general I should just save my money and wait for? If Rock Band 3 is "as good as it gets", how is the online? Populated? How are the trophies? That kinda stuff.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: After strolling around on eBay looking for Rock Band 3 bundle PS3, I've come to the conclusion this won't be as easy as I thought. Not only do supplies seem sparce, but the few on there are $100+. Sad. :( I'm still curious though what band game is the best out there nowadays though, so discuss!

Eburkulosis would be a good person to ask on this, as I know he's worked his way to the plat on a few of the music games. if he doesnt catch this thread beforehand, I'll ask him to post his thoughts for you.

Mad Catz is getting ready to release a new set of bundles for Rock Band 3 - not sure how much they'll be, but they'll be all Pro instruments - and this is directed to Azakos: All of the Pro instruments can be used as MIDI instruments - so they can be used outside of the game if you really want to - Keyboard, Drums and Guitar [Which is a 6-string].

People seem to forget that little tidbit of information regarding the PRO instruments. They also seem to forget that RB3's Pro training modes are essentially teaching you to play the instruments as well.

You can also use any MIDI Keyboard/Drum kit with it if you had one - there's a MIDI adapter made specifically for that. Not sure if it comes in one of the bundles or not, though.

Rocksmith only caters to the guitar - nothing else. Good if that's all you care about really learning, and were planning to buy a guitar anyway.

As far as trophies - you're going to need all of the instruments if you want that Platinum [And they'll need to be Pro for a lot of them] - the same can be said for pretty much any of the band games.

In regards to the Guitar Hero side, you'll need the World Tour drums to get it's platinum - you can't get it with any other drum kit, except maybe the ION DrumRockers - but I am unsure if they actually work with GH.

None of the games are ridiculously hard - just expensive [Although some of the GH trophies can be a pain.]

Basically, everything CNM said is pretty much spot on.

Rock Band 2 [Which I play] if you just like the genre, but don't care too much about learning to play.

Rocksmith if you're interested in learning the Guitar and either already have a guitar available, or were planning to get one eventually.

Rock Band 3 [Which I'll be getting eventually] if you're interested in learning Guitar/Keyboard/Drums, and don't necessarily want to shell out for a real guitar/piano/drum set + lessons.

I would definitely say go the Rock Band route, though - since you're a fan of the original Guitar Hero titles - Harmonix is the one behind those, as well as two of my personal favorites: Amplitude and Frequency.

They're better games - and they have FAR more music to choose from, plus any DLC songs you buy can be played on any of the games, with the exception of The Beatles, and RB3's PRO songs. Not to mention being able to export most songs from previous games [1, 2, Lego, Green Day] into the new one - though there's a handful that didn't make the transition due to licensing issues.

Here's my question. Then why play Madden, MLB The Show or any other sports games.

Good question; I don't like sports games either, lol. The same mindset applies.

Mad Catz is getting ready to release a new set of bundles for Rock Band 3 - not sure how much they'll be, but they'll be all Pro instruments - and this is directed to Azakos: All of the Pro instruments can be used as MIDI instruments - so they can be used outside of the game if you really want to - Keyboard, Drums and Guitar [Which is a 6-string].

There is a difference in sound quality. But the real important factor is they're not as cool.

Rocksmith only caters to the guitar - nothing else. Good if that's all you care about really learning, and were planning to buy a guitar anyway.

In the original post it seemed like he wasn't into the other instruments. That's why I recommended Rocksmith, as well as the fact that it has guitar lessons and really helps you through the learning process.

Rock Band 3 is the way to go. Here's why.

1. Forget price - all these games and their peripherals are expensive to some degree. If price is an issue. Stop reading.

2. Rock Band 3 has a real guitar as well. I'd pick this over Rocksmith purely based on a greater Rock Band 3 library which brings me to my next point.

3. Rock Band Network has the greatest library of music. Also, all Rock Band games songs lists can be imported into Rock Band 3 including RB2, Beatles RB, GreenDay, Lego, etc. (I think you can simply rent these games and use the import code - provided nobody else has used it - which might not be that far-fetched)

4. I still can find RB3 guitars at most every Best Buy and Game Stop. Not sure what kind of stores you have in your neck of the woods.

At any rate you WILL spend a bit of money. I still regularly buy DLC songs. They still come out with new great stuff every Tuesday.

There is the traditional Online Co-op (I think they did away with competitive rock battles)

Of course there are online leaderboards and after you finish each song you are compared with your friends score on that particular song.

The community is still pretty active but if you are wanting to play content beyond the on-disc library, all players must have that particular song (whether its a DLC song or an imported song) for it to work.