rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

9 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Yes, yes it is! xDGood guess!

Well, I had to go look after you said that, and yes you have played Hustle Kings, you've got a whopping 5%.... and I have a gargantuan 6 % 1f606.png..... I can't imagine that will change anytime soon, I just could not get on with that game. Any game where the pool balls feel like they're made of concrete, did not translate to a particularly fun time.  The funny thing is, even though we have such tiny completion percentages for that game, we still have an A rank haha.

Sometimes when you know, you just know. You know?

Only 1% behind you? I'm impressed with myself haha

OMG we have an A rank too?! Geez that's crazy.

9 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Exactly! I'm sure plenty of us will be discussing that in the future too once I actually throw that first list of games together to write that little thing about GREAT GAMES, BAD TROPHY LISTS, and you know the other side of that one too!

I really like the game Killer Is Dead, but it is probably one of the least enjoyable grinds to a platinum, as it ends up being one long money grind as you've pretty much done anything that had satisfying gameplay before that point.

Absolutely! Think it'll be a really interesting feature and will generate a lot of good discussion! 

Never played Killer is Dead, but don't like the sound of a long grind. They are never good in a game no matter how good the game is. Long grinding is only good in Skateboarding lol

10 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I don't blame her, if anything that original RE game definitely instils the fear in you that every single animal or plant you come across might be potentially lethal 1f602.png

Haha absolutely true! It's a remake of my favourite RE game so of course I had to start her with that one, and it gave her at least a glimpse of how old school RE was. Don't get me wrong, she enjoyed RE1R definitely. Of course overall, I think she will have an easier time and potentially more fun in a way with RE2R with how that game was remade. Though Mr.X might be a problem lol

Don't worry pal! I'm here to correct your mistake.....

..... what I think you meant to say was.... xD

Haha! Quite!

So much this! I really feel you on that one... That was the exact situation I found myself in on Professional Difficulty on RE4 recently, I had like 6 full heals and more ammo than I would ever have needed going into the final boss fight. Poor Mr EyeMouth didn't stand a chance..... Bloody merchant made a pretty penny out of me in that playthrough, trust me haha!

Haha, well yeah but he would fleece anyone. He knows exactly where to be at exactly the right moment will all the goods you need. I mean, how does he know where to be? How does he carry all that inventory with him? What is he doing with the money? lol

I'm hoping it gets some nice little trophy lists out there for games that pretty much stand no chance of getting the full remake or remaster treatment..... Be a nice way for a new audience to experience some of those obscure yet awesome games. Weird little esoteric games like Silent Bomber for example, that game was very cool, and actually ran so well for a PS1 game, but it's one I couldn't ever see getting a remaster.

Syphon Filter has actually held up fairly well. I mean the running animations are a bit awkward, the main guy runs like he's crapped himself, and is desperately trying to stop something falling down his trouser leg, but other than that it does play quite decently. Good chance you might enjoy that one!

Likewise, it'd be good to see a game that both @DrBloodmoney and I are pretty fond of, in Shadow of Memories. That game is so odd, but it's one I'd quite like to be able to add to my trophy list.

I wouldn't say no to the OG Resident Evil Trilogy either, might give me an excuse to finally play Nemesis. Despite the fact his tinny voice still REALLY UNSETTLES me even now

Yeah of course that would be wonderful. Obviously I'm here getting excited about big games like RE, FF etc but yeah games that have no chance of any remakes or continuations of franchises/stories etc would be really cool to get platinums for to give new people a reason to try them out. Could generate interest in a new game if possible. Either way it would be nice to show off that game on your trophy list. :)

I did play a Syphon Filter back in the day, can't remember which (There was more than 1 right?) but yeah would be cool defo. 

Haven't heard of Shadow of Memories. If that pops up, I'll need more info about it please lol

Either way, you have to play RE3: Nemesis. I know it's old school nowadays of course but it's still a classic. A fantastic game which to me still holds up. Nemesis was an awesome enemy. 

It's one of those series where it kind of has to be all or nothing almost. They have such a rich tapestry of lore in them, and a weirdly confusing continuity that does make perfect sense if you play all the games, that just putting up one would be a bit of a shame! But yes, I hope for one at some point, as they just don't seem likely to get remasters. My fingers and toes are crossed 1f606.png

Keep them all crossed for as long as you can! Might get painful if you do it for too long lol Here's hoping it comes to pass for you, even if it is just one game. It'd be better than nothing!

• Like 1

On 28/05/2022 at 8:39 AM, The_Kopite said:

Only 1% behind you? I'm impressed with myself haha

OMG we have an A rank too?! Geez that's crazy.

Yes! Our completion rate for that game truly is epic....  ?I'll settle for the A Rank.... Something is going to have to happen to really want to make me touch that game again, and I'm not even sure a server closure warning would do it ?

Never played Killer is Dead, but don't like the sound of a long grind. They are never good in a game no matter how good the game is. Long grinding is only good in Skateboarding lol

It's a really good, but really weird game. It's made by the same team and creative mind behind Lollipop Chainsaw and No More Heroes, and others.  It's one of the perfect examples of trophies extending the life of a game in an altogether bad way. I don't think any less of the game for it, but it's a shame when you have unfortunate trophy lists like that in games!

Haha absolutely true! It's a remake of my favourite RE game so of course I had to start her with that one, and it gave her at least a glimpse of how old school RE was. Don't get me wrong, she enjoyed RE1R definitely. Of course overall, I think she will have an easier time and potentially more fun in a way with RE2R with how that game was remade. Though Mr.X might be a problem lol

That's funny actually, I think Resident Evil Remake, is actually my favourite Resident Evil game.... So your favourite is the original, and mine is the remake haha ?..... I'm glad she enjoyed it, there's a good chance she might very much enjoy the Resident Evil 2 Remake also, from what I've seen of the gameplay it looks lovely and fluid, so it'll probably feel a whole lot more modern for her. Like I said, just Shoot Mr X's Hat off so he feels naked and runs away ashamed haha.

Haha, well yeah but he would fleece anyone. He knows exactly where to be at exactly the right moment will all the goods you need. I mean, how does he know where to be? How does he carry all that inventory with him? What is he doing with the money? lol

Maybe he's Ada dressed up in a big coat and false accent, she just puts it in an item box somewhere, that are conveniently linked together.... That's an explanation haha. Would also explain why there's no item box available in Resident Evil 4..... she's hogging them to herself.

Yeah of course that would be wonderful. Obviously I'm here getting excited about big games like RE, FF etc but yeah games that have no chance of any remakes or continuations of franchises/stories etc would be really cool to get platinums for to give new people a reason to try them out. Could generate interest in a new game if possible. Either way it would be nice to show off that game on your trophy list. :)

I think that's more where I'm at.... I'd be pretty excited to see games I already love show up there, of course... I just think it'd be a great opportunity to breathe some new life into some games that have become a little bit forgotten, or lost to time somewhat. Not everyone keeps all their old consoles, or is too young to have played them at the time, so I'm very much excited at the idea of awesome games finding themselves a newer audience and appreciation.

I did play a Syphon Filter back in the day, can't remember which (There was more than 1 right?) but yeah would be cool defo. 

Haven't heard of Shadow of Memories. If that pops up, I'll need more info about it please lol

Either way, you have to play RE3: Nemesis. I know it's old school nowadays of course but it's still a classic. A fantastic game which to me still holds up. Nemesis was an awesome enemy. 

There's 3 Syphon Filter's that I can think of, without checking anyway. So I expect you played one of the 3, the second one starts off in a Hospital if that rings any bells?

Shadow of Memories is really bizarre, but it's a game that I rather liked. I have always been a sucker for very odd and unusual games that don't even have particularly conventional gameplay, If it did come up on PSPlus Premium, you can be sure Doc and I would probably be trying to encourage as many folks as possible to play it.

Well if I don't play that one, I'll definitely play the Remake version of 3.... at least in that one Nemesis isn't as terrifying haha xD

3 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Thanks for the shoutout!  Glad you finally got around to playing Hellblade.  It was a fantastic little game, too bad the sequel won't be coming to PlayStation.

My pleasure man! Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm glad I finally played it even if it took me a while, it was definitely worthwhile, even if I did feel more than a little emotionally drained afterwards.

I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure how exactly I feel about the sequel not coming to PlayStation..... I'm sure if it's available on PC you can let me know how awesome it is! I'll either watch a playthrough of it, or just play it if I ever buy another Xbox console. The thing is, I'm not even entirely sure it needed a sequel, or a prequel, wherever it ends up being in Senua's personal timeline.

I know there's enough wiggle room for them to do one, but I don't think I would have been surprised if there hadn't been one. Either way I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

My pleasure man! Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm glad I finally played it even if it took me a while, it was definitely worthwhile, even if I did feel more than a little emotionally drained afterwards.

I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure how exactly I feel about the sequel not coming to PlayStation..... I'm sure if it's available on PC you can let me know how awesome it is! I'll either watch a playthrough of it, or just play it if I ever buy another Xbox console. The thing is, I'm not even entirely sure it needed a sequel, or a prequel, wherever it ends up being in Senua's personal timeline.

I know there's enough wiggle room for them to do one, but I don't think I would have been surprised if there hadn't been one. Either way I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

I agree, I’m not sure this is a game that really needed any more content.  It will come to PC given that Microsoft treats both Xbox and PC as one ecosystem, so there’s that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

I agree, I’m not sure this is a game that really needed any more content.  It will come to PC given that Microsoft treats both Xbox and PC as one ecosystem, so there’s that.

I do worry if they set it after the first game, or even before then they run the risk of just turning Senua into a misery sponge, which I don't really like to see happen to any character. Poor old Bentley from the Sly Cooper games kind of got that unfortunate fate.

I think that might be a case where I'll default to your take on it when you inevitably get to playing Hellblade II I think! So don't be surprised if I send you (probably) annoying messages when you're playing it. 

I'm off to post up a review in a minute as it happens.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Yes! Our completion rate for that game truly is epic....  1f609.pngI'll settle for the A Rank.... Something is going to have to happen to really want to make me touch that game again, and I'm not even sure a server closure warning would do it 1f602.png

lol from the sounds of it, I doubt a server closure would tbh, though overall your completion percentage for all trophies is so high, maybe one day you will be tempted haha

It's a really good, but really weird game. It's made by the same team and creative mind behind Lollipop Chainsaw and No More Heroes, and others.  It's one of the perfect examples of trophies extending the life of a game in an altogether bad way. I don't think any less of the game for it, but it's a shame when you have unfortunate trophy lists like that in games!

O ok, interesting. Never played Lollipop Chainsaw or No More Heroes either but I know of those games and their unique styles. Ah yes that is a definite shame, and sounds like a good game to talk about for that particular subject area!

That's funny actually, I think Resident Evil Remake, is actually my favourite Resident Evil game.... So your favourite is the original, and mine is the remake haha 1f602.png..... I'm glad she enjoyed it, there's a good chance she might very much enjoy the Resident Evil 2 Remake also, from what I've seen of the gameplay it looks lovely and fluid, so it'll probably feel a whole lot more modern for her. Like I said, just Shoot Mr X's Hat off so he feels naked and runs away ashamed haha.

Haha well the Remake gets extremely close to the original for me, but the nostalgia plays a big part for the reminder and the awesomely cheesy live action intro and the wonderful Shakespearean dialogue and voice acting haha. The Remake of RE1 is a wonderful game in it's own right. Love how the backgrounds looks, how detailed they are and how impressive the atmosphere is in that game. It's my 2nd favourite RE game. 

There is a trophy if I remember correctly for shooting Mr X's hat off haha 

Yeah she will enjoy it I'll bet. All the autosaves will help lots too.

At the moment, helping her get through the end of Cat Quest to platinum that. She is excited by the prospect of us playing CQ2 together and earning trophies together.

Maybe he's Ada dressed up in a big coat and false accent, she just puts it in an item box somewhere, that are conveniently linked together.... That's an explanation haha. Would also explain why there's no item box available in Resident Evil 4..... she's hogging them to herself.

Damn, you know I reckon you've cracked it! Bet Leon did as well and he was enjoying just standing around, doing some purchasing from his love interest lol 

I think that's more where I'm at.... I'd be pretty excited to see games I already love show up there, of course... I just think it'd be a great opportunity to breathe some new life into some games that have become a little bit forgotten, or lost to time somewhat. Not everyone keeps all their old consoles, or is too young to have played them at the time, so I'm very much excited at the idea of awesome games finding themselves a newer audience and appreciation.

Yes absolutely. I'll bet a lot of people share your opinion. Just hopefuly Sony get it right, in terms of pricing individually for people who do not want to sign up for the highest tier. Also in terms of the quality of the games they put up, as there are issues with them using PAL 50Hz versions and whatnot, and also hopefully pursuading as many other companies as possible to implement trophies on these games.

Sadly Sony have a split history of getting things right and ballsing up other things. We will see how this plays out.

There's 3 Syphon Filter's that I can think of, without checking anyway. So I expect you played one of the 3, the second one starts off in a Hospital if that rings any bells?

Shadow of Memories is really bizarre, but it's a game that I rather liked. I have always been a sucker for very odd and unusual games that don't even have particularly conventional gameplay, If it did come up on PSPlus Premium, you can be sure Doc and I would probably be trying to encourage as many folks as possible to play it.

Well if I don't play that one, I'll definitely play the Remake version of 3.... at least in that one Nemesis isn't as terrifying haha xD

It doesn't to be honest but who knows which one I played. I remember enjoying it for what that's worth lol don't think I finished it however.

I can imagine that you and Doc would, so I look forward to your combined selling pitch to others for the game haha

Got RE3R sat on the shelf, haven't been able to start it yet. Absolutely from what I've heard Nemesis isn't as terrifying though no. Seems to have been quite scripted which is sad for me but we will see.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:00 PM, rjkclarke said:

If you want to read the almost opposites day version of my review, from someone who isn't as much of a fan of point-and-click adventures and doesn't like claymation, then I'll leave a link to @realm722's review of it. If you wanted to see where both of us sit on it. I'll leave it here.   There are a lot of very valid points in that review, which is why I mentioned in mine how whether or not you enjoy this or not will more than likely come from how inclined you are towards claymation and point-and-click adventures.

I have been so swamped with sports for the last month that I didn't get much of a chance to check out many threads other than my own but good read! I think your enjoyment of the game will come down to visual preference. After reading your glowing review I went back and read my own and thought I was a jerk lmao. I honestly had no idea that Napoleon frigging Dynamite voiced the villain. I was gonna fault myself for forgetting so many details but then I realized it's nearly been a year since I've played it(Aug 2021) which.. holy crap time evaporates man. 

On 5/28/2022 at 0:05 AM, rjkclarke said:

My mole people (sound designers) brethren and sisteren (is that a word? It is now) absolutely did themselves proud with the sheer scale of the sound design found within this game, and this is saying nothing of the incredibly crisp quality of it. Not only is the foley work spectacular, the ways the voices in Senua’s head are handled are terrific. It’s the relentlessness of them, that do such a tremendous job of making you question how Senua is even able to move forward at times, especially when coupled with how subtly lucid and peaceful the moments where she hears a friendlier voices tend to be.

You actually made me curious to look up if it was a word and it is lmao, though it's spelled "sistren" which makes sense given its inverse is "brethren". Your review affirms everything I've ever heard about Hellblade. Gameplay is serviceable while the story and experience are sensational. I've avoided it for the longest time as the gore elements with graphics of that fidelity tend to not really be in my wheelhouse but I should give it a brief watch on YouTube to see if it's my speed.

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Do I recommend Steins Gate 0? I think so – just be aware that you’re going to have a few very unusual twists and turns in the story. I feel like your enjoyment of this is more up to the person rather than making a blanket statement that someone would, or indeed wouldn’t like it.  It feels a little lousy to say it, but I think I said it best when I was discussing it with one of my best friends earlier that it goes a little too heavy into “stock anime trope” territory in a few places, so whether that bothers you or not is ultimately up to you. As it’s a visual novel, the trophies aren’t much of a talking point, but with liberal use of saving you’re never likely to miss anything.

I thought it was really interesting you reviewed Steins Gate as I never would have guessed you'd played it! I've gotta congratulate you on your diverse taste. I always try to play push myself to play outside of my comfort zone but a super wacky anime visual novel is where I'll draw the line. My only experience with the franchise is that through one of my fave YouTubers/streamers Joseph Anderson and he QUIT playing the game midway thru cuz....

Spoiler

he literally could not stomach the plot line of eating more vegetabels would change the gender of one of the characters lmao

Glad I could finally catch up, keep up the great work! :D

• Like 2

First and foremost, sorry to hear about your Great Uncle. These things really do like to happen in bunches sometimes?

Secondly, sheesh. Two pages later... and two reviews I initially missed! I didn't learn my lesson the first time, it seems.. well, time to catch up!

On 5/5/2022 at 9:36 AM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #351

LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)

L96abef.png

Dude I've got a buddy who tried to get me into Lego games back in the PS2 days, crazy they're still thriving like they are! Maybe at long last I'll keep an eye out...

On 5/8/2022 at 6:06 PM, rjkclarke said:

LHcaf7da.jpg

Platinum #33

WSC Real 2011 (PS3)

I've likely said this before, but I love your love of snooker! Mad props for the insane patience you have with these games, man... they terrify the shit out of me. I suck so hopelessly at mere open world pool mini-games?

On 5/15/2022 at 0:00 PM, rjkclarke said:

Armikrog (PS4)

Lf6c0ee.png

Dang man, for whatever reason I can't crop these for shit today?

I'm intrigued! From the soundtrack to Rob Paulsen and Jon Heder to that claymation style. I'd never even heard of this, but this might be another one for me to watch out for in a sale.

Unfortunately there isn't a new sale every two weeks or anything, so I'll just hope for the best.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:03 PM, rjkclarke said:

Resident Evil 4 (PS4)

Lce5d69.png

Excellent work! Maybe it is a good thing I put off Res 4, I wasn't gonna be able to compete with this??

I really liked how you talked about RE villains being a high point til 5, it wasn't something I'd really thought about before. Obviously I can't speak for 6 but you know what I mean! Also I do remember marveling at how such a seemingly short amount of time there was between Leon's first day on the job in a small town's police force and him being a special agent doing two story flips out of windows.

Fighting Umbrella just does things to a man, I suppose!

I'm not sure I 100% agree with your take on the controls, as I don't feel they necessarily added to the atmosphere, but on the other hand if this reissue(master?) of the game came equipped with squeaky clean controls, I do think it might feel overly sanitized.

One of my favorite things about Resident Evil's music in general is the typewriter room themes! That brief moment of serenity, especially recognizing that brevity in the moment, is such a brilliant addition!

Dang. A lot I wanna talk about but then I fear that when I finally get around to writing about this I'll be out of material??

On 5/25/2022 at 6:06 PM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #173

Steins;Gate (PS3)

Laae9c1.png

Ah, where the visual novel love began!

In all likelihood this isn't one I'll check out, but I always appreciate having a good idea for a story (that intro does sound like a solid hook) and managing to keep that energy going properly. Also appreciate female characters who are given writing that goes beyond "check out these luscious melon breasts LOOK AT EM!!" I can't remember what writer/director it was, but he was being praised for writing strong female characters and merely responded something along the lines of "yeah, because I write them as people."

Hmm... Roman Polanski? Woody Allen? I'm sure it was one of those guys?

On 5/27/2022 at 9:05 PM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #353

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)

L3e44a9.png

So I read this...

The line “I learnt the hard way.... a life without loss, is one without love” resonated with me so much more than I wanted it to. That REALLY hurt!

...and I think I was sold there. I do love me some bleak-but-beautiful! And mental supervisor approved to boot?? Come on, now.

I really appreciate how deeply this seems to delve into how mental illness actually feels - whatever it may be, there's a common link of not always being in charge of your thoughts and not always knowing how to stop them, and I like how this game seems to go about that.

Also:

There is something very specific in Hellblade that I am eternally grateful for – and to some it might not seem like a worthy talking point, but I think it is. That is, that I’m so very glad that Senua is not conventionally attractive – I’m not suggesting she’s ugly either, she isn’t, not at all. I have a feeling that the developers probably were aware that if she was incredibly attractive, or indeed overly sexualised, then people might feel sympathy for – what they might deem, the wrong reasons. Instead they choose to tell her story in a way that paints her as incredibly strong and endearing despite, her obvious struggles, what she looks like is ultimately not that relevant, but in a good way.

I love this. I know sex sells and all that, but for somethin like this it would be reeeaaaaallly out of place, and this was absolutely the right call.

This sounds wonderful, and I'm absolutely about it.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:23 PM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #176

Steins;Gate 0 (PS4)

1L2d9694.png

Not sure I'm as about this one though. However! Anything that can elicit a comparison to Amadeus can't be THAT bad!

This is another one that sounds like it tackles mental health really well (what a coincidence! Did you hear that there was a challenge for that??), and I think the fact that it portrays feelings of unsociability and the like so well, and yet is ultimately a bit fumbled, is to say the least a bit disappointing.

Whew! As usual, you are killing it! Sorry for typing up a novel again, I'm really gonna try and do a better job of keeping up?

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 7:05 AM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #353

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)

L3e44a9.png

This game man...this goddamn game.

I can't believe how much I loved it really. It's one of a kind, definitely niche, but my god it hits like a truck. Or well like Surtr when you mistime your dodge xD 

To call Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice an experience is quite frankly an understatement. Let’s get this out of the way first; this game really isn’t for everyone. Even taking its shorter length and limited gameplay out of the equation entirely – it really does ask a whole lot from you as a player on an emotional level. The line “I learnt the hard way.... a life without loss, is one without love” resonated with me so much more than I wanted it to. That REALLY hurt!

That is completely true. This game is not for everyone. But for the target audience...wow it really does ask a lot indeed.

That being said – I think Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice, is so worth peoples time, as both a game, and as an experience overall. You notice, I keep using the word experience? Mainly because there’s a little part of me that doesn’t quite feel comfortable saying “I had a wonderful time with this” or words to that effect.

Honestly, Hellblade was one of the reasons why I called my trophy checklist "Collection of trophies and experiences" (second one being NieR, go figure xD ). There's some games that simply transcend the "he he i press buttons and satisfaction comes from beating boss" mode.

And yeah...I had a wonderful time having my feelings punched by this game ?

I had read in a few places about how limited the gameplay is in Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, before playing it. To be perfectly honest – I think this is a wholly unfair criticism. Whilst on a surface level, there is very little in Hellblade that quite reinvents the wheel gameplay wise, I’m not quite sure it should either. Yes, you could argue the combat is a little basic, but it is functional, smooth and quite satisfying once you get a sense for parry timing.

There were parts of the game where I found myself genuinely questioning whether there was any real point to the combat. However, I’m going to fall back to the Douglas Adams quote I love so much of “I’d rather be happy, than right, any day.”

Take it from me, there is a point to the combat – from a narrative and thematic perspective, this game would absolutely suffer without it, and part of its core message would be so much less impactful.  The more you think about it, the more it works. Even down to the visual elements to it. Each defeated enemy doesn’t visibly die, they just dissipate. It seems like a small thing at first, but this game directly deals with the impact of failing mental health upon a person. Those demons you battle momentarily disappearing, only to reappear further on, stronger and more powerful, is by its very nature, an incredibly potent metaphor. Unfortunately, it’s a crushingly sad one too. No matter how hard you fight against The Darkness, unfortunately sometimes it always finds a way to come back.  It’s painful, it’s so thought provoking, but it is brilliant.  

It took me a while to realize that the combat is part of the narrative.

To keep it brief, Senua does struggle with the enemies in the beginning, and by the end she starts to pulverize them. But, as pointed out by the final battle, they keep coming no matter what. So my interpretation was...she can never defeat them, ever. She does get stronger though.

So yeah, the combat matters. It is simplistic but it gets its job done.

There’s a section of gameplay which is not strictly a puzzle, but it is a fascinating one to play nevertheless. The Blindness Shard Trial – I must say it was my personal favourite. You’re tasked with navigating almost complete darkness, with only a voice as your guide. It is one of the most perfect examples of how the visual (or lack thereof) and audio elements combine to form such a memorable part of the experience. It makes you as a player; hypersensitive to every individual noise and every tiny sliver of vision you’re afforded. It’s one of the finest examples in the game of how synchronised you sometimes feel with Senua’s actions. That slight nagging doubt of “do you trust the voice?” It works incredibly well. I also thought the section of the game involving Valravyn (God of Illusion) were very well designed, the use of environmental manipulation puzzles were rather satisfying to unravel

Oh god yes that Trial was fantastic! I usually have issues with horror games and horror IN games but that kind of psychological dread kept me on the edge without driving me away xD 

I'd say this Trial and the Fenrir section were my favorite in the game.

Having the camera directly behind Senua, yet at a slight distance was a deliberate element that I thought was fantastic. For me, there were times during my time with Hellblade, where I thought my mere presence as a player was an intrusion upon something. I can only surmise that this was deliberate intent from Ninja Theory. It’s an incredibly subtle and brilliantly unconventional use of film-making techniques. On occasion, Senua will look directly at the camera, not slightly to the side of it, not slightly past it, straight into it. As if she’s staring straight at you, as if she’s addressing you directly. It gave me such an odd feeling, as if I was intruding on a very personal moment, yet it gave me a pang of guilt. The frightened and uncertain look in her face, just compounds that feeling. It’s exactly what I meant earlier, about how the audio and visual elements of Hellblade synergise so fantastically well together.   

The devs did it on purpose. I was messing around with the camera, just to notice that Senua was looking DIRECTLY at me. Or, well, at the player. God damn that was a nice touch, made me feel like the main voice in her head.

It would be wrong of me not to mention how spectacularly the game handles motion capture and voice acting, another near perfect marriage of the audio and visual. To me the thing that makes it so very impressive, is that Melina Juergens (Senua) hadn’t voice acted or performed motion capture before taking the role. Take a second or two to get your head around that if you’ve played the game.

She is clearly an abundantly talented lady. She manages to voice act incredibly well, giving a layered performance where she does such a nuanced job of displaying the anguish, pain and suffering that has permeated Senua’s entire being for years and years. It has a real pay off too, when so much of that long-caged emotion is just set free almost instantaneously.

Juergens also motion captures Senua’s facial expressions brilliantly. Whether she’s scared, devastated, pained or occasionally quite lucid and euphoric, she absolutely excels at getting you, the player, to fully understand where Senua is at mentally.

That's what shocked me too! She is a developer if I am not wrong, so being able to act and mocap like that...mad respects to her :D 

Crikey that was a hell of a cathartic one to write up, but more than a little emotionally draining! Much like the game itself I suppose.

Yes indeed it was !

So glad you got to play this amazing game. I 100% agree with all you wrote, i could easily quote the entire post and say "Yes that is what I felt as well". 

If someone asks me why I consider videogames art, I'd push Hellblade as one of the examples.

• Like 2

I just want to smugly point out that I got @rjkclarke tuned in to playing Hellblade ?

Seriously, Hellblade is quite an experience.  For me it was one of the first games that I deliberately chose to play on PlayStation over PC, kind of starting my own struggles with choosing platforms and sticking with them.  The audio over headphones is simply fantastic, what a memorable experience. 

• Like 2

Dude - that was an ace Hellblade write-up - I kept meaning to post my congrats beyond just a rep point... but then @Copanele came along and prettym uch ate the lunch of everything I was going to say ?

All I can add is...

I used to be someone who never thought playing with headphones was any different to playing with room audio...

...then I played Hellblade!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Haha! Point away man! It's not a lie.

You might be smugly pointing something out again in the near future anyway1f609.png1f602.png....

As I quite literally reinstalled Dishonoured before sitting down to write this reply. So with any luck (and I'll need some for By My Hand Alone) I'll be throwing your name in a tag at the bottom of that review too. After all we've been talking about us both going back to the game for probably close to a year at this point, and you beat me to it! Now you've got me pumped to actually revisit those smelly Dunwall Trials, so erm.... thanks I guess xD

I've definitely got to find a pair of headphones that are both good and compatible with my PS4 controller, I might have to dig through some of my older sound equipment and see what I can find, because I'd love to play that with the audio through headphones like it's recommended. Even though it was very immersive even through surround sound.

Great description though - memorable experience, because that really is so true, with Hellblade, we seem to all be in agreement on that one.

You've totally got "By My Hand Alone".  And I expect you to dominate my positions on the leaderboards!

Speaking of headphones, when I got my PS5 I went out and bought a pair of the PlayStation branded wireless headphones and found them painful to wear and of low quality.  I remembered that I had a pair of those nice Bose wireless bluetooth headphones that you see everyone wear on airplanes, and they worked great wired through my controller.  I haven't felt a huge urge to upgrade from those when I need them.  So hopefully you'll be surprised by what you have lying around.

• Like 1

You did a very dangerous thing by posting this comment - well not dangerous, more you coaxed me into looking up what it would actually take to get the hundo in Hustle Kings, and you know what? I might be psyching myself up for it... If I'm particularly good at any type of game, I'd feel pretty comfortable saying it's Pool and Snooker ones, plus I believe it's the only game with Snooker DLC's that I don't have a 147 in, so I wouldn't mind actually doing it.

So I guess thank you maybe? Or not depending on whether I actually go back to it or not.

Haha o no. Wait I'm going to see a review or rant in the future about this game and my name is going to be right at the top of it lol 

Oh yeah, forgot about the Snooker DLC's. That'll 'cushion' the blow of having to play the game again if you do lol

You're welcome, maybe?

Great points you make to be fair - although I think the cheesier than Wallace and Gromit's trip to the moon line delivery is one of the reasons I actually prefer the remake haha! Oh and Lisa Tevor.

Yeah, actually it's probably just the inclusion of Lisa Trevor, I've played that game a fair few times and there hasn't been a single time when she hasn't creeped me out a fair bit.

Oh it's got some fantastic cheesyness in it too! 

Yeah, the inclusion of Lisa Trevor was an extra plus point for the remake, absolutely. Though they killed me on one of my no save runs so yeah theres that.........

That's what I like to hear! You two are going to enjoy Cat Quest II a whole lot I think. I'm hoping that they put Llama's in Cat Quest III. Or just anything, games need more Llama's in them FULL STOP. 1f602.png

Llama's are in Cat Quest II? (Damn I can't think of a witty pun right now.....) I didn't realise! Well she has platinumed the first one now so we will definitely be looking to play the 2nd one soon. Definitely think we will enjoy it a lot.

We can only hope!

They have an annoying habit of doing that Pal 50Hz thing. It's the same reason why for us over here in the UK the PS4 version of Code Veronica is a pain in the backside to platinum, as you practically have to be a Pro Speedrunner because of all the things the PAL version has in it that works against you for saving time.

So it's actually the better experience to play the PS3 version, so I'm led to believe.

Yeah seemingly in Japan it's now the 60Hz ones or some kind of better version of 50Hz. It's confusing. Sony make things needlessly difficult and confusing all the time sadly. 

Yes I've read all about the RE:CV platinum difficulties. It's why I haven't bought the game on PSN Store even when it's gone down to less than a fiver. It's offputting sadly which is a shame but I'll likely get it eventually. Yes I believe you are correct, the PS3 version works better but no platinum. 

You can bet if Shadow of Memories does get added to PS+ Premium, that Doc and I will be all over the forums dressed like this....

Pics or it didn't happen (when Shadow of Memories gets added)

It's the tinniness to Nemesis' voice, from the voice modulation they put on the voice actor that probably scared me the most. I know it isn't as prominent in the new version.

I'm sure you'll be getting it down from the shelf once you've put RE2 Remake to bed, I assume?

I would have thought most people would be most scared of Nemesis (like Mr. X) because of him appearing out of nowhere and constantly chasing after you, so it's interesting that you said that. 

That's a good guess and you'd think that'd be the case, but no I would rather leave 3 for a few games later at least and have got Dissidia FF and Lost Sphear lined up. Lost Sphear hopefully will be a platinum in the future but a lot of tracking of stuff to do so got lists ready. (Am I the only one who does this I wonder?) Dissidia FF I don't know if it will be a platinum, we will see. I know there is an MTU trick that makes the platinum a bit easier and quicker in some regards so hopefully that will still be working when I get to it. Fingers crossed.

Once RE2R is knocked off for 250, I'll have a lot of platinums I can pop on PS4, PS5 and Vita too! lol

What's your next game that you have lined up? (If you have said in a previous post, then apologies if I have missed it)

Also did you get to watch the State of Play? RE4R looks really great, though I wish they'd have done Code Veronica to be honest. VR2 modes for that and RE Village are cool too. Check out The Callisto Protocol again, I reckon you'll really like the look of that one! Also FFXVI looks really great but as always, I have my concerns (for myself, my own enjoyment) regarding the potential battle system but we will see!

• Like 1

Just writing here to Congrats with you for the Amazing list and profile!

And the Incredible Thread so many Reviews and discussion, i won't have the patience to write down so much everytime, really impressive personally O.o 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

And the Incredible Thread so many Reviews and discussion, i won't have the patience to write down so much everytime, really impressive personally O.o 

I second this! I can only hope one day I'll be this good at writing about the games I enjoy.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

You've totally got "By My Hand Alone".  And I expect you to dominate my positions on the leaderboards!

Speaking of headphones, when I got my PS5 I went out and bought a pair of the PlayStation branded wireless headphones and found them painful to wear and of low quality.  I remembered that I had a pair of those nice Bose wireless bluetooth headphones that you see everyone wear on airplanes, and they worked great wired through my controller.  I haven't felt a huge urge to upgrade from those when I need them.  So hopefully you'll be surprised by what you have lying around.

Thanks for the faith, although I don't think I'll be dominating anything ? - because I don't have a whole lot in myself right now ?...... That was unwise of me to come back to the game after like 6 years and think... Hmm, what shall I do first? Bonfires, nah EXTREME Bonfires, yeah that sounds like a wonderful ideas.

I'll say this much, I blinked into a lot of walls, and mistimed a whole load of jumps, but I'll play some more later, I've just gotta get that muscle memory with Blinking and Blink distances back.

I shall have a dig around tomorrow for some headphones that might work. One of my friends said and did almost the same thing you did about those PS5 headphones and he was a lot happier as a result, so that's good to hear another +1 for just ignoring the PS Branded ones.

4 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Haha o no. Wait I'm going to see a review or rant in the future about this game and my name is going to be right at the top of it lol 

Oh yeah, forgot about the Snooker DLC's. That'll 'cushion' the blow of having to play the game again if you do lol

You're welcome, maybe?

I see what you did there haha! ?

Your name might well be ?, I genuinely hadn't thought about the game for quite a while, then I looked into it, and saw that it doesn't take anywhere close to as long as I thought it did, and you can do the majority of the trophies offline, it did pique my interest a little I must say. Especially as all the DLC only comes to £7.99 how bad can it really be. I guess we'll have to find out haha!

4 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Oh it's got some fantastic cheesyness in it too! 

Yeah, the inclusion of Lisa Trevor was an extra plus point for the remake, absolutely. Though they killed me on one of my no save runs so yeah theres that.........

This is also true.

She may have killed me in one of my no save runs as well, It's quite a risk vs reward fight the one with her. It's easy to just get completely launched off the map like Team Rocket.

It was actually Hunters that probably killed most of those runs for me. Just when you think you're safe one jumps up and turns your throat into a waterfall of blood ?.... Think that's why I dreaded running into them in Resident Evil Revelations 1.

5 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Llama's are in Cat Quest II? (Damn I can't think of a witty pun right now.....) I didn't realise! Well she has platinumed the first one now so we will definitely be looking to play the 2nd one soon. Definitely think we will enjoy it a lot.

Unfortunately not, sorry to get you excited.... I just really like Llamas. So it was purely wishful thinking that there'd be Llama based involvement. You'll still have a great time with the game though - even if it is an unfortunately Llama free one.

Now I've said Llama too many times it's literally lost all meaning xD

Yeah seemingly in Japan it's now the 60Hz ones or some kind of better version of 50Hz. It's confusing. Sony make things needlessly difficult and confusing all the time sadly. 

Yes I've read all about the RE:CV platinum difficulties. It's why I haven't bought the game on PSN Store even when it's gone down to less than a fiver. It's offputting sadly which is a shame but I'll likely get it eventually. Yes I believe you are correct, the PS3 version works better but no platinum. 

That's progress at least I suppose haha!

It's a funny one with Code Veronica. The PS3 version just is the better version it's also a true HD remaster, instead of just an upscaled port, so I think I'd be more inclined to play that one anyway. I'm not too fussed if it doesn't have a platinum. So long as Steve isn't on a trophy icon we're all good! ?

I would have thought most people would be most scared of Nemesis (like Mr. X) because of him appearing out of nowhere and constantly chasing after you, so it's interesting that you said that. 

No that part didn't bother me too much when I saw my friend playing some of it (might have if I'd been playing it myself) - it was just the STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS - and that horribly metallic tinniness that really freaked me out, I think because it's so inhuman. It is actually very good though.

(Am I the only one who does this I wonder?) Dissidia FF I don't know if it will be a platinum, we will see. I know there is an MTU trick that makes the platinum a bit easier and quicker in some regards so hopefully that will still be working when I get to it. Fingers crossed.

Once RE2R is knocked off for 250, I'll have a lot of platinums I can pop on PS4, PS5 and Vita too! lol

No, I don't think you're the only one. I've done it occasionally with RPG's, depends how organised I'm feeling and how good the in-game tracking is for those things. I had a spreadsheet in use for NieR: Replicant recently, and that was super helpful. I also have some saved somewhere for Star Ocean: The Last Hope, but I'm a little too chicken to go near that offensively long and grindy game right now. I am planning to just end up chipping away at it eventually until I'm done, but I haven't gone back to do my New Game Plus playthrough yet!

You'll probably be at about 275 the week after you hit 250 at this rate, or more even.

6 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

What's your next game that you have lined up? (If you have said in a previous post, then apologies if I have missed it)

I didn't mention it so no need to worry. At the moment I'm kind of flitting about between things. In a sort of cleanup mode. I went back to the Dunwall City Trials from Dishonoured last night, for the first time in 6 years, and I'm also planning to mop up my last trophy on Limbo, and throw some smaller shorter indie games into the mix whilst I'm doing a bit of cleanup on older things. So that's where I'm at gaming wise. 

6 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Also did you get to watch the State of Play? RE4R looks really great, though I wish they'd have done Code Veronica to be honest. VR2 modes for that and RE Village are cool too. Check out The Callisto Protocol again, I reckon you'll really like the look of that one! Also FFXVI looks really great but as always, I have my concerns (for myself, my own enjoyment) regarding the potential battle system but we will see!

I've caught bits and pieces of State of Play, I didn't watch the whole thing, more just looked at trailers here and there. I do think it's a little bit of an oversight skipping over Code Veronica, it isn't like its non-canon or anything.

Callisto Protocal does look very good, it'll be weird if it ends up releasing at a similar time to the Dead Space remake. I didn't look at the Final Fantasy one, I got myself really excited in the build-up to FFXV and I'm not going to do that to myself again, for the game to release feeling unfinished, and unpolished. I'm not saying it will, but NFTENIX.... SORRY Square Enix, are a company I really struggle to have much faith in anymore.

I do hope the RE remakes stop with Resident Evil 4 though - that's about the last one they can get away with remaking. I am quite interested in the remake of 4 though I must say. It looks Leon is a bit more thoughtful and reflective judging by that tiny little snippet. I'm not the biggest fan of his character in 4, so anything that isn't "Generic Action Hero" I'm kind of onboard for.

3 hours ago, Sora9427 said:

Hey! Thank you so much! That is incredibly nice of you to say - you've also got an awesome profile yourself by the way!

The thread definitely has been a really awesome and fun thing to have going on. There's certainly a fair few of both reviews and discussion that's for sure! Here's to many more. I actually have almost finished writing my latest review.

You hit upon a funny point actually, about having the patience to write down so much. I do worry I've written TOO MUCH sometimes, but I usually just write until it feels like a natural place to stop, and I've said all I want to say about a particular game.  

Thanks again for stopping by though - you managed to put a big old smile on my face!

3 hours ago, Billie__227 said:

I second this! I can only hope one day I'll be this good at writing about the games I enjoy.

And so did you Billie! Seriously, you're too kind!

I've gotta say though - you are already very good at writing about the games you enjoy! Very, very good in fact. You've got an uncanny ability to be able to get across all of the things that really stood out for you about a game, and why those specific things spoke to you so much, or didn't speak to you at all. 

It's going to sound cheesy as hell, but for me writing is a pretty good way of expressing myself, or at least feeling like I have the freedom to. And whenever you have an update in your own awesome thread, you always find a way to make it read in such a genuine way, as if you're just freely expressing yourself, and that's awesome to see, That really isn't something that seems to come naturally to too many people either, so that is an awesome thing!  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Hey! Thank you so much! That is incredibly nice of you to say - you've also got an awesome profile yourself by the way!

The thread definitely has been a really awesome and fun thing to have going on. There's certainly a fair few of both reviews and discussion that's for sure! Here's to many more. I actually have almost finished writing my latest review.

You hit upon a funny point actually, about having the patience to write down so much. I do worry I've written TOO MUCH sometimes, but I usually just write until it feels like a natural place to stop, and I've said all I want to say about a particular game.  

Thanks again for stopping by though - you managed to put a big old smile on my face!

Oh Thanks even if mine it's not as impressive it's a pretty normal one after 6-7 years :P 

Damn, i'll check it out i guess when you put it out, i always kinda lurked here checking out what you play since it's such a nice list, really weel done especially sinc ei see like 50% of the recent one being an Image, the name of the game done, that's it; what is even the point in checking thsoe out iu wanna read the opinion of the player on the game not chekcing an image list! So yours is really a great job in this regard! 

Well if it's natural to you than it's great personally i write too much down when i sit and it's not that the problem ti's that the discussions become text of wall and i don't feel like replying most of the times :P It's incredible you can and repaly to ALL posts too aside the reviews! 

Oh Glad i did and after writing here i kinda want to Make a thread myself, i have one but kinda to be "Redone" i want to make more of a Tracking Backlog/Progress done list + Reviews (i plat like 3-4 games per year anyway in the last years) and your sure is inspiring! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

Oh Thanks even if mine it's not as impressive it's a pretty normal one after 6-7 years :P 

You've got some really awesome games on there, you really do! Plenty that I should have played by now but haven't yet, like Gravity Rush, for example - and the variety of different types of games is awesome too, I always love seeing that.

Lots of Tomb Raiders too! Some of the things I enjoyed writing about most last year was going through all six of my Tomb Raider Platinum's, those were real fun ones to write about!

You've also got quite the sea of Kingdom Hearts games! Although your username is a bit of a giveaway maybe that you like the series ?....

.....Those Kingdom Hearts games are some of the ones I'm struggling to get a start on when reviewing my older platinum's. I can't decide whether to do it in the order I played them or to go in the order they go in the Kingdom Hearts timeline. Oh well, at some point I'll have to do one, it's been a year of this thread already and there's so many game series I love that I've not even really scratched the surface of in the here yet.

Damn, i'll check it out i guess when you put it out, i always kinda lurked here checking out what you play since it's such a nice list, really weel done especially sinc ei see like 50% of the recent one being an Image, the name of the game done, that's it; what is even the point in checking thsoe out iu wanna read the opinion of the player on the game not chekcing an image list! So yours is really a great job in this regard! 

I keep going back and forth on that review to be honest, I think it's a really great game, and I'd like as many people to play it as possible, so I'm trying my hardest to make sure the review doesn't read too boring or gushing from me either. Evoland is such a great time, but I'll erm, get to that soon I suppose when I put it up!

I think that's half the fun of these threads, is that you can write however much you do or don't want to, and it's entirely up to you. I always wanted mine to be filled with as many reviews as I can, I just seem to take longer to actually write them these days xD. After a while it does give you that sense of freedom that you can just basically write whatever length you're comfortable with because it's your space to do it in.  So I'm really glad to read you've been enjoying some of my mammoth walls of texts.

Well if it's natural to you than it's great personally i write too much down when i sit and it's not that the problem ti's that the discussions become text of wall and i don't feel like replying most of the times :P It's incredible you can and repaly to ALL posts too aside the reviews! 

The discussions can certainly start snowballing that's for sure! But I love that, the amount of odd discussions we've all had in here over the last year is pretty funny really.

I think I'd feel a little bad if I didn't at least reply to practically every post in here if I can, but that's just me.  I'm sure there's been one or two I've accidentally missed, but I always try to if it's possible. It does take a while to reply sometimes, but it's nice to be able to, as I've gotten to know plenty of really awesome people as a result of it, I think. That can only be a good thing.

Oh Glad i did and after writing here i kinda want to Make a thread myself, i have one but kinda to be "Redone" i want to make more of a Tracking Backlog/Progress done list + Reviews (i plat like 3-4 games per year anyway in the last years) and your sure is inspiring! 

Thank you!

If it's something you want to do then you absolutely should. After reading this bit again, I actually went and checked out your thread in its current state, and I'm going to have to have a look and read back through that in some more detail, later on. We actually have pretty similar layouts to how we've put our older Platinum's onto the first page of our threads funnily enough. 

If you decide to make a new one though, or even breathe some life into the old one, you can be sure I'll be popping into check it out whenever I get a chance.

Edited by rjkclarke

5 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

You've got some really awesome games on there, you really do! Plenty that I should have played by now but haven't yet, like Gravity Rush, for example - and the variety of different types of games is awesome too, I always love seeing that.

Lots of Tomb Raiders too! Some of the things I enjoyed writing about most last year was going through all six of my Tomb Raider Platinum's, those were real fun ones to write about!

You've also got quite the sea of Kingdom Hearts games! Although your username is a bit of a giveaway maybe that you like the series 1f602.png....

.....Those Kingdom Hearts games are some of the ones I'm struggling to get a start on when reviewing my older platinum's. I can't decide whether to do it in the order I played them or to go in the order they go in the Kingdom Hearts timeline. Oh well, at some point I'll have to do one, it's been a year of this thread already and there's so many game series I love that I've not even really scratched the surface of in the here yet.

I keep going back and forth on that review to be honest, I think it's a really great game, and I'd like as many people to play it as possible, so I'm trying my hardest to make sure the review doesn't read too boring or gushing from me either. Evoland is such a great time, but I'll erm, get to that soon I suppose when I put it up!

I think that's half the fun of these threads, is that you can write however much you do or don't want to, and it's entirely up to you. I always wanted mine to be filled with as many reviews as I can, I just seem to take longer to actually write them these days xD. After a while it does give you that sense of freedom that you can just basically write whatever length you're comfortable with because it's your space to do it in.  So I'm really glad to read you've been enjoying some of my mammoth walls of texts.

The discussions can certainly start snowballing that's for sure! But I love that, the amount of odd discussions we've all had in here over the last year is pretty funny really.

I think I'd feel a little bad if I didn't reply to practically every post in here if I can, I'm sure there's been one or two I've accidentally missed, but I always try to if it's possible. It does take a while sometimes, but it's nice to be able to, as I've gotten to know plenty of really awesome people as a result of it, I think. 

Thank you!

If it's something you want to do then you absolutely should. After reading this bit again, I actually went and checked out your thread in its current state, and I'm going to have to have a look and read back through that in some more detail, later on. We actually have pretty similar layouts to how we've put our older Platinum's onto the first page of our threads funnily enough. 

If you decide to make a new one though, or even breathe some life into the old one, you can be sure I'll be popping into check it out whenever I get a chance.

OH WOW what a huge reply, now i feel bad if i don't reply properly xD

Well Thanks, i like basically all genres (I Only "Dislike" Fighting game but mostly because i'm super bad at them and stealth games because i'm for "Brute" approches :p) so i'll play pretty different games.

I see it's pretty much the same for you too! The only one i don't really see are racing games (But there are few good ones so...) and Visual novels but maybe you arent' a fan of them much? 

Ah, yeah i Enjoied my Time on the TR Trilogy on Ps3 and i Played TR since i was a Kid on Ps1 :P I Have already to play Rise of the TR and Rise of the TR too, if it wasn't for the Annoying Online i would happily re-play TR Reboot Too, i loved it on Ps3 but fuck that level 60 i won't repeat it. 

Well as you said my name pretty much says i'm a fan of the Series doesn't it :awesome: Well you have like 300+ Reviews to do it would be incredible you have them all wrote down! I would say to go with how you played so maybe they are more chronological correct in Clicking it on the Main page? Not that it changes much! I Think i have the Reviews down for KH2 and maybe KH for sure i haven't done it for KH3 maybe i will in the Future especially since i loved it too! :3

Evoland, i've heard of it name wise but that's it, maybe i'll check!

Well yeah in the end it'0s your personal space and so you should write as much as you like, i enjoy going back at times and reading what i was thinking or what i was doing with some games after all :P That's why i don't see the point in just mere images. At that point i'll just go to my profile directly.

Ah well it's always nice talking with people about your passion, gaming, or something else that's for sure! And if some strange ones come out it's interesting!

I Mean you're pretty fast for the amount of replies you give it's impressive, i wouldn't be able too, you've got great patience to sit and reply to everything and glad it leads to good discussion and knowing people that's great ^_^

Well it's a layout i got from some old people no longer on the site and that i like, back then tehre were some great Lists here. Maybe i'll just revive that thread it's not needed to do another one from scratch. I Enjoied going back and seeing what i was doing 1 year ago in DQ i would like going back to the Weekly stuff properly. And Thanks :D

Oh it will be a pleasure having you checking it out that's for sure!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

OH WOW what a huge reply, now i feel bad if i don't reply properly xD

Well Thanks, i like basically all genres (I Only "Dislike" Fighting game but mostly because i'm super bad at them and stealth games because i'm for "Brute" approches :p) so i'll play pretty different games.

I see it's pretty much the same for you too! The only one i don't really see are racing games (But there are few good ones so...) and Visual novels but maybe you arent' a fan of them much? 

No need to feel bad haha - reply, don't reply, in as much detail as you like, it's all good!

I'm sure plenty of people who read this thread would be too polite to tell me, that sometimes I go into too much detail anyway, so perhaps I just don't know when to shut up haha ? - that is almost certainly the case!

Fighting games are the games you'll see less often on my profile too (I can only think of 2 out of about 400 games) a bit like you I don't truly dislike them, I'm just not particularly good at them. I respect the hell out of those that are though, makes me look at my gaming claws that just about pass as hands with shame sometimes xD I do like a stealth game or two though, I can't lie haha.

Yeah, I definitely like to flit around from genre to genre pretty much. I like racing games more than my profile would probably suggest, considering I don't have too many on there. Ironically I used to be huge into FPS games too, but you can barely find any true FPS games when scouring my list, but I'm hoping to at least slap Titanfall 2 on there in the near future.

Visuals Novels, I'm partial to them every now and then, but I've got to really be in the mood for them. But when I get into them, I usually REALLY get into them. Like when I played VA-11 HaLL-A, and I ended up reading the entire thing in one 36 hour sitting OOPS ?

11 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

Ah, yeah i Enjoied my Time on the TR Trilogy on Ps3 and i Played TR since i was a Kid on Ps1 :P I Have already to play Rise of the TR and Rise of the TR too, if it wasn't for the Annoying Online i would happily re-play TR Reboot Too, i loved it on Ps3 but fuck that level 60 i won't repeat it. 

Yep!  Tomb Raider reboot on the PS3 is a little brutal with that online grind, I hate to say it. It wasn't even particularly bad online either, just long, and definitely made you question why it even needed to be included.

14 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

Well as you said my name pretty much says i'm a fan of the Series doesn't it :awesome: Well you have like 300+ Reviews to do it would be incredible you have them all wrote down! I would say to go with how you played so maybe they are more chronological correct in Clicking it on the Main page? Not that it changes much! I Think i have the Reviews down for KH2 and maybe KH for sure i haven't done it for KH3 maybe i will in the Future especially since i loved it too! :3

Yeah that is one downside to starting a trophy checklist where you plan to also review all of your old games when you already have 299 platinums, or 312 however many it was when I started the thread haha. I reckon I've got it cut down to about 260-ish left to review, but I've not done any actual maths on that one. That's just a guess, could be more could be less :dunno:

Yeah it probably makes more sense to just go chronologically with how I played the Kingdom Hearts games - especially as going Kingdom Hearts timeline order it'd just be overly confusing for anyone who isn't familiar with the series. So good idea on that one, thanks! I'll have to give your KH reviews a look myself.

19 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

Well yeah in the end it'0s your personal space and so you should write as much as you like, i enjoy going back at times and reading what i was thinking or what i was doing with some games after all :P That's why i don't see the point in just mere images. At that point i'll just go to my profile directly.

Absolutely! It's funny actually when you go back to look over some old games, your opinion can sometimes drastically change on them. Or at least soften, or harden I suppose depending on the game. There's been a few times where I ended up having a deeper appreciation for certain games after going back to look at them, and then others where I think, "oh that really wasn't as good as I remember it"

Like you said, it is nice to look back and be reminded of what you were thinking at that particular time, when I was looking through the thread for something about a month or so ago, I stumbled across a post where I was really excited about Agents of Mayhem, and then I platinumed it, reviewed it and decided I practically hated it haha.

24 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

I Mean you're pretty fast for the amount of replies you give it's impressive, i wouldn't be able too, you've got great patience to sit and reply to everything and glad it leads to good discussion and knowing people that's great ^_^

Well it's a layout i got from some old people no longer on the site and that i like, back then tehre were some great Lists here. Maybe i'll just revive that thread it's not needed to do another one from scratch. I Enjoied going back and seeing what i was doing 1 year ago in DQ i would like going back to the Weekly stuff properly. And Thanks :D

Oh it will be a pleasure having you checking it out that's for sure!

Cheers, although sometimes I'm not too quick, even if I mean to be, I get distracted quite easily with gaming or religiously binge watching films and TV so sometimes I end up leaving it longer than I'd like to ?

It's probably similar to a lot of layouts that I saw myself and liked the look of. and I also thought, yeah I'd like one that looks like that! . There's quite a few formatting things I've been inspired by here and there over the last year in the checklist section, there's a lot of folks who have got some really visually appealing stuff going on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Thanks for the faith, although I don't think I'll be dominating anything 1f606.png - because I don't have a whole lot in myself right now 1f602.png...... That was unwise of me to come back to the game after like 6 years and think... Hmm, what shall I do first? Bonfires, nah EXTREME Bonfires, yeah that sounds like a wonderful ideas.

I'll say this much, I blinked into a lot of walls, and mistimed a whole load of jumps, but I'll play some more later, I've just gotta get that muscle memory with Blinking and Blink distances back.

I shall have a dig around tomorrow for some headphones that might work. One of my friends said and did almost the same thing you did about those PS5 headphones and he was a lot happier as a result, so that's good to hear another +1 for just ignoring the PS Branded ones.

Oof...you'll get there.  On PC I started with Backalley Brawl as I thought it was regarded as the hardest trophy, wanting to attempt to the toughest shit first as I am also full of wonderful ideas.  For PS4 I started with Daredevil because I found it the most difficult challenge, especially on a controller.  I'd start with the normal Bonfires ?  It is tough coming back to it 6 years later, but don't get discouraged.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

No need to feel bad haha - reply, don't reply, in as much detail as you like, it's all good!

I'm sure plenty of people who read this thread would be too polite to tell me, that sometimes I go into too much detail anyway, so perhaps I just don't know when to shut up haha 1f602.png - that is almost certainly the case!

Fighting games are the games you'll see less often on my profile too (I can only think of 2 out of about 400 games) a bit like you I don't truly dislike them, I'm just not particularly good at them. I respect the hell out of those that are though, makes me look at my gaming claws that just about pass as hands with shame sometimes xD I do like a stealth game or two though, I can't lie haha.

Yeah, I definitely like to flit around from genre to genre pretty much. I like racing games more than my profile would probably suggest, considering I don't have too many on there. Ironically I used to be huge into FPS games too, but you can barely find any true FPS games when scouring my list, but I'm hoping to at least slap Titanfall 2 on there in the near future.

Visuals Novels, I'm partial to them every now and then, but I've got to really be in the mood for them. But when I get into them, I usually REALLY get into them. Like when I played VA-11 HaLL-A, and I ended up reading the entire thing in one 36 hour sitting OOPS 1f602.png

Yep!  Tomb Raider reboot on the PS3 is a little brutal with that online grind, I hate to say it. It wasn't even particularly bad online either, just long, and definitely made you question why it even needed to be included.

Yeah that is one downside to starting a trophy checklist where you plan to also review all of your old games when you already have 299 platinums, or 312 however many it was when I started the thread haha. I reckon I've got it cut down to about 260-ish left to review, but I've not done any actual maths on that one. That's just a guess, could be more could be less :dunno:

Yeah it probably makes more sense to just go chronologically with how I played the Kingdom Hearts games - especially as going Kingdom Hearts timeline order it'd just be overly confusing for anyone who isn't familiar with the series. So good idea on that one, thanks! I'll have to give your KH reviews a look myself.

Absolutely! It's funny actually when you go back to look over some old games, your opinion can sometimes drastically change on them. Or at least soften, or harden I suppose depending on the game. There's been a few times where I ended up having a deeper appreciation for certain games after going back to look at them, and then others where I think, "oh that really wasn't as good as I remember it"

Like you said, it is nice to look back and be reminded of what you were thinking at that particular time, when I was looking through the thread for something about a month or so ago, I stumbled across a post where I was really excited about Agents of Mayhem, and then I platinumed it, reviewed it and decided I practically hated it haha.

Cheers, although sometimes I'm not too quick, even if I mean to be, I get distracted quite easily with gaming or religiously binge watching films and TV so sometimes I end up leaving it longer than I'd like to 1f602.png

It's probably similar to a lot of layouts that I saw myself and liked the look of. and I also thought, yeah I'd like one that looks like that! . There's quite a few formatting things I've been inspired by here and there over the last year in the checklist section, there's a lot of folks who have got some really visually appealing stuff going on.

Oh i'll try to reply proprerly, i feel bad otherwise :P I'll probably just reply during the Weekends still since i don't have much time in the Week so if you don't see any reply for a while that's the reason ;) 

I Mean i don't think so, in the end it's a nice reading what you write down and it's up to the people to reply or take it all i personally don't mind :D

Well, Glad to find somebody else like me for fighting games! I Have only P4 Arena and Under night i think, Tekken 7 too, because Tekken and Under Nights are easy even if you aren't good at the genre, Persona i don't care, it's Persona :3 Well you have Patience to write down i'm sure you have patience to stealth around, i like the Direct approach to fight :awesome: 

Well i get you, i like racing games too but recently there are good ones? Sadly not really, i only have NFS  Hot Pursuit to play and i want GT 7 when it comes down on price but that's it. I get you on the Fps side too, i used to play a good lot of them but nowadays are pretty much either boring or all the same ones. Enjoy Titanfall 2 i have it too to play, i'm not that excited because of the speedrun trophy honestly.

Ah I see you have to get into them, understandable after all it's like reading an interactive story, you have to feel the need for it :P I Absolutely recommend you the 2 Ace Attorney trilogy on the genre! Being investigation games are pretty interactive with searching around to solve the Mistery and Take it to the court to prove the innocence of your client! 

They just put it there to force the people to play the Online which was in itself forced and not needed but well with Square.... The Stupid thing is thatr they put it back in the PS4 version too, what's the point! Couldn't they do like AC where they removed the Online in the tirlogy -_-

Oh well you're mostly done i would say, you miss a good number but compared to overall what you have i'm sure you'll write them all down in the next months! I have like 50+ Revivews to write down too, whenever i'll feel like it i'll write some. 

Yeah even if who doesn't know the game or doesn't want to understand will sadly say it's a mess, i see so many stupid comments not understanding the 3Rd one why? Because they skipped CoM and BBS which are not at all spin off but really important :( I'm curious to read you reviews on them then! 

For Me maybe i'll write down the 3Rd one one, day, i just know i'll write like a 10k+ lines of a review and that's why i still haven't xD

Indeed, opinion can change with time in better or worse so it's nice seeing what was our thinking some years or months ago! I Mean i even "tried" it because i originally started Fallout 3 and got super bored and annoied after 2 hours, then after 2 years i decided to start again and give it another go and now it's one of my favourite open world ever for example :P 

Well about that game i think it's normal, many peopel were excited being form the SR people but then it's awful xD I actually have it to play, probably enver will as you said it's dissapointing i already know that without playing.

I Mean respect for you too to dedicate so much into something i can't aside from gaming and even here recently i can get super into for 2-3 hours not much unlike some years ago, i just lose focus, really you have great mind in that regard! And you are really fast to reply don't worry as said i'll write in the weekend anyway so take your full time to reply no need to hurry tomorrow :D 

Yeah there were some great layouts to inspire from during the years tht's for sure! I Like yours and mine, i'll try and update it :P 

• Like 1