DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

9 hours ago, ShinySpidey said:

I know this is an old message, but I'd like to share my experience. Bloodborne was my first Souls game. Some friends of mine gave it to me for my 22nd birthday. In that period I knew something about Dark Souls and I was fascinated by it, but I thought "too much effort for me". I couldn't say the same about Bloodborne, back then I barely knew it was FromSoftware's but I thought it was my time to play it. Well, I tried to play Bloodborne but I only felt frustration. I was stuck in Central Yarnham, I kept dying and I couldn't get the hang of it. I dropped it. "What a stupid game", I thought. Fast forward 1 month and I felt like I should have tried one more time. Nope, I reached Cleric Beast and I was stuck once again. Well, maybe it's a good game, but not my cup of tea.

Fast forward to August 2020 (7 months after my birthday) and I finally beat the game. I used save scumming to avoid the path to bosses every time I died, but I eventually understand the basics of the game and its unexplained mechanics. Then I beat Dark Souls Remastered, now Elden Ring and I think these are my favourite games ever, or at least, genre.

The learning curve is steep, but once you learn the basics, it's just a matter of try and repeat until you'll eventually "git gud".

Dude - I know that feeling actually!

My first one was Demon’s Souls - I hadn’t played, or even really heard of the Kingsfield games before it, and I didn’t know much about it as, like you, I got gifted it.

Man, I hadn’t played a game like it before, and I must have spent longer trying to get though the first area of Boletaria (level 1-1) than most games took me to complete at that point ?

There’s something about the pacing and rhythm of those games which is still unusual now, but was pretty much completely foreign to me then - and all the mechanics (bonfire / reapawning enemies/ soul-form etc.) were just alien!

I dropped it like 3 times, before finally biting the bullet, and just powering through… and ended up loving it, but it’s basically the same “WTF is this nonsense game?!?!” feeling first off. Guess that’s just the Souls-Christening we all go through ?

The only thing I really dislike about Bloodborne even now is the fact that when you die, blood vials aren't replenished. It's just stupid because the more you die the more you are punished and sometimes this forces you to farm blood echoes to buy the blood vials. Other than this, it's a masterpiece.

Totally agree. That mechanic was in Demons Souls, but they dropped it in Dark Souls, and aside from Bloodborne, it’s never really resurfaced. A silly concept, as all it does is dissuade people from doing the very thing the games encourage - repeating fights, and learning through attrition!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I'd been wanting to check out this list for a while now, but had been putting it off. I just read your Persona 4 Golden review and I agree with pretty much every point you made. It's criminal that game isn't more famous.

Did you end up playing Persona 3 since that post?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yuber6969 said:

I'd been wanting to check out this list for a while now, but had been putting it off. I just read your Persona 4 Golden review and I agree with pretty much every point you made. It's criminal that game isn't more famous.

Thank you, sir!

4 hours ago, Yuber6969 said:

Did you end up playing Persona 3 since that post?

? No, not yet...

...I haven't played much on the Vita for over a year actually, not really sure why. I did play through the original Persona (good, but very dated now!) and some of the second one, but I think I held off on P3, as there were some rumblings a while back about a possible remaster.... not sure if anything ever came of that actually - I need to look into that to see if there was any nuggets for reality, or if it was just wishful thinking! ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

1f633.png No, not yet...

...I haven't played much on the Vita for over a year actually, not really sure why. I did play through the original Persona (good, but very dated now!) and some of the second one, but I think I held off on P3, as there were some rumblings a while back about a possible remaster.... not sure if anything ever came of that actually - I need to look into that to see if there was any nuggets for reality, or if it was just wishful thinking! 1f64f.png

Not sure if you heard that Persona 4: Arena Ultimax getting ported to the PS4 was leaked before Atlus announced it. The same guy that leaked it claimed that Persona 3 Portable is coming to PS4 as well. I played that one on the Vita, and found it's gameplay to have balancing issues (though many disagreed with me). The story however, was on par with 4 and 5. I'll keep you updated if I find out more. In the unlikely event that we don't get a port/remaster, it's still totally worth your time though! Probably the most emotional of the later 3 games.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yuber6969 said:

Not sure if you heard that Persona 4: Arena Ultimax getting ported to the PS4 was leaked before Atlus announced it. The same guy that leaked it claimed that Persona 3 Portable is coming to PS4 as well. I played that one on the Vita, and found it's gameplay to have balancing issues (though many disagreed with me). The story however, was on par with 4 and 5. I'll keep you updated if I find out more. In the unlikely event that we don't get a port/remaster, it's still totally worth your time though! Probably the most emotional of the later 3 games.

You know, I don't often play the "wishing game" - since most of the games I've loved the most, have been the ones that snuck up on me, and I didn't see coming :ninja:....

...but Persona 3 in a nice, lavish remaster is high on that "I hope, I hope, fingers crossed" list!

• Like 3

Damn good sir, that Elden Ring review really hit all the high notes xD to find its place as the 2nd best game in the list too, that's no small feat! So, SO glad that Miyazaki nailed it again with this game.

And yes, I have to say as well...in terms of "open world-ness", Elden Ring just sent the competition to shame. Not only speaking as a fan, but...considering the alternatives, the only time I got so invested in an open world was the first time I played Skyrim (until I unlocked all cities) and the first island of Kephallonia in AC Odyssey. After that, the games started to drag on, while Elden Ring remained fresh (and only pissed me off in the Haligtree section, but that's on me!). So yeah, game deserves all the accolades.

For me, I think Elden Ring will be the best game I will play this year, solely because we compared notes through that status update while discovering stuff, as intended. Just how many other games can get you in that particular state nowadays? :D 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Destructor-8 said:

What a brilliant review dude! The amount of effort you put into this was fantastic especially as you brought up many details that contribute to a game that offers an amazing amount of enjoyment & satisfaction.

Thank you mate, I really appreciate that!

Truth be told, I was a bit iffy on that one, as the scope of the game is so big, talking specifics was a bit difficult, so it's all kinda broad-brush overview... but then, I'm scared to spoil anything in a game that could easily be the best one people play this year, so was leery about saying anything too detailed!

It really is amazing knowing how far From Software has come especially when you go back before the Souls games, plus the part where you mentioned about it being a destination was very true. I think having played many From Software games before the Souls games makes you realise that point even more so especially since the series brought in many new players to From Software games. The game being open world was something that I was definitely interested in & considering the fact that I was very close to starting Bloodborne very recently, I just had to play Elden Ring instead & it's definitely one of the best games I've ever played. The other thing that you mentioned about the open world never feeling like it repeated itself is exactly what I thought as well. It didn't at any point feel like that & I would say at times it was as if I was in a different game almost. The world design is amazing & done so well.

It's weird thay managed to do that - must have taken such an effort - and I'll bet all other developers of open-world games are weeping in their beer now - with the numbers Elden Ring sold, they must be thinking "Shit... thanks for raising the bar, asshole! now we gotta compete with this?!"

The quests in Elden Ring at times were a little similar to the ones in 3D Dot Game Heroes although in that game it was a lot easier to completely miss something since you had to do certain things in a particular order before you cleared each temple in the game. I think Zelda had stuff like this at times. I'm not sure if you remember it but there was even a quest in 3D Dot Game Heroes where you had to talk to a developer team between each temple so that you would eventually make a new From Software game within the game lol.

I do remember that - that was cool!

That was really well done but it was very easy to miss if you played it naturally. I'm glad you compare it to Zelda also since both of these games offer you that experience that you can get a lot of replay ability from it. I'm glad you rate this game so highly & I also look forward to trying out Bloodborne very soon.

I actually think Bloodborne is probably the best one to try right after Elden Ring - it's different enough in style, that the smaller area and more linearity won't feel ike a downgrade - just a different experience! Hell of a game, Bloodborne, I'm confident if you dug Elden Ring, you will more than like Bloodborne too!

22 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Damn good sir, that Elden Ring review really hit all the high notes xD to find its place as the 2nd best game in the list too, that's no small feat! So, SO glad that Miyazaki nailed it again with this game.

Thank you sir!

And yes, I have to say as well...in terms of "open world-ness", Elden Ring just sent the competition to shame. Not only speaking as a fan, but...considering the alternatives, the only time I got so invested in an open world was the first time I played Skyrim (until I unlocked all cities) and the first island of Kephallonia in AC Odyssey. After that, the games started to drag on, while Elden Ring remained fresh (and only pissed me off in the Haligtree section, but that's on me!). So yeah, game deserves all the accolades.

You know - I've hesitated to recommend it to you specifically, given it's not necessarily in your wheelhouse, given the lack of combat etc., but post Elden Ring, you might want to think about having a look at Outer Wilds. Yes, it's a pure exploration / mystery game, but I think it warrents more attention in a post-Elden Ring world, as it's maybe the only big open world where I think the depth of mystery, the attention to detail, and the really fascinating level of "You get out what you put in" to the exploration really competes!

Totally different style of game, and doesn't have any of the Souls-ian stuff to draw you in... but maybe...?

For me, I think Elden Ring will be the best game I will play this year, solely because we compared notes through that status update while discovering stuff, as intended. Just how many other games can get you in that particular state nowadays? :D 

Haha - it's true  - I looked at that thread we had going, and it's like 135 posts long, mostly with some variation of "Holy shit, what was this thing?!"

Takes a special kind of massive to support that kind of confusion, and still be awesome at the same time! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoastedPeanut said:

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Rainbow Moon! I've had an up and down experience with it myself, but I've pretty much wrapped up the 100%. All I've got left is hitting level 500 and racking up 100 hours of game time

That one is in the next batch, so hopefully (work busyness notwithstanding) should be up some point next week! ?

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 10:05 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

You know - I've hesitated to recommend it to you specifically, given it's not necessarily in your wheelhouse, given the lack of combat etc., but post Elden Ring, you might want to think about having a look at Outer Wilds. Yes, it's a pure exploration / mystery game, but I think it warrents more attention in a post-Elden Ring world, as it's maybe the only big open world where I think the depth of mystery, the attention to detail, and the really fascinating level of "You get out what you put in" to the exploration really competes!

I might be the millionth person who was thinking "hmm I don't think I have the energy for Outer Worlds right now".

But then I re-read and saw OUTER WILDS. Nice reading skills Copanele, 19/5 would Math again.

Now that I checked some footage WITH THE PROPER NAME on youtube... I have to say I am intrigued. I am not going to buy it right now (sudden irl game called Outer Apartment Furniture occupies my mind...and wallet xD ), but it's on the "totally gonna buy this one in the future" list. 

• Like 4

G'day Doc! Man, it's been a hot minute since I've perused the forums. Congrats on hitting the 1,000 comment milestone, not many threads on this site make it that far, but that's a heck of a lot of documentation of your experiences for sure! I saw your post a month back, and don't worry, your effort on here hasn't gone unnoticed! I can definitely relate to the feeling that writing can be a bit of a slog sometimes, especially since I've been dealing with assignments, but it's great to see you're back at it!

Top notch work with Elden Ring mate, that's a mighty completion right there. I've seen memes of people being paranoid from trickery that they'd even hit chests several times to ensure they wouldn't get baited. Reminds me of the Reaper in Persona 4 Golden! If I'm correct, I believe even that thing randomly popped out of chests as well! ?.......... Still debating getting a Vita just for it, but knowing my luck Atlus is gonna port the damn thing the moment I put a good chunk of money into it!

But in any case, it would seem that Agent 47 rises triumphant evermore... that sly spy truly can take care of any foe!

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 4

I thought I'd better jump in and post something before you end up posting the next batch, and I have to write a gargantuan post about all the awesome reviews that you will have dropped all at once, thankfully I have three to mention this time, so for me it might be relatively short.

BUT FIRST....... It's awesome to have you back writing more regular reviews, it really is!  I can totally get why you'd give yourself a break for a bit though, you more than deserved a rest and recharge after the absolute truckload of awesome reviews you've given us in the last year. 

Nice to have three more!

On 14/04/2022 at 10:34 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

L4eec22.png

Midnight Deluxe

I really enjoyed reading this!

I know this might seem like an odd thing to single out for some people, as a lot of people tend to just see one thing with this game. A review like this, is absolutely the upside to not talking about trophies all too much in your reviews. Purely because you reviewed this for what it is, a game. I appreciate that, because outside of the fact I know it has pretty simple trophies, I've never really had all that much inkling as to what exactly was going on in it.

I think you're one of the only people I've seen on this site to take a crack at actually fairly reviewing this without the whole "LOL EZPZ PLATINUM" thing getting in the way, like it does for some. Nice to see that it has a slight build in difficulty, that's pretty important in a puzzle game I find, even if it isn't a particularly complicated or difficult one like this. 

It's interesting that both this and 36 Fragments of Midnight seem to have a bit of uniformity to them from a design standpoint, in a multitude of areas. I'm assuming you'll be covering Birthday of Midnight at some point, so it'll be interesting to see if that bleeds into that games design too.

Great to read about City Connection - one of these days I really feel as if I need to pick some of those up, so many of those games I've never played, and it seems fascinating to be able to delve into them on a modern console. Especially when as you've mentioned in previous ones too, that the games themselves usually remain fairly intact, when being ported to modern consoles. I like that, as it'd essentially feel like playing a bit of history, or one of those interactive museum exhibits!

Lf29caa.png

Elden Ring

Absolutely fantastic love letter to this game man!

This is one that I've pretty much always been sure that I'd play in the future, and to read what a wonderful experience you had with it, definitely tells me that I've got something really awesome to look forward to, whenever it is I actually get around to playing this!

This oddly makes me even more excited for Hitman 3, as this awesome game failed to dethrone it, so that game must be something truly very special. Judging by both your time with it and Smevz, I think that's going to be a real fun one!

I'm so tempted to just pull loads of bits of that review out and comment on specific areas, but I feel like if I did, I'd be here all night, but I'll do a couple, because I can't resist! xD.

Most  games deal with vast open worlds in this manner. The world is vast, but individual parts of design are seen repeated all over the land - the same building, the same ruin, the same set of walls in the same formation.  It may not be to the game's detriment necessarily, but is almost always noticeable. Here, I struggle to see it. While I am certain Elden Ring must use this trick in some capacity, over the course of over 150 hours of exploration, I became aware of re-use of level pieces a sum total of once. Several mine entrances appear to use the same Elevator shaft, with the same layout of platforms around the jagged rock face surrounds. 
That was it. That was the only part of a world so massive that I am fully aware I have missed countless locations even after 2 playthroughs, where I noticed the seams. That is virtually unheard of, in gaming.

Bloody hell man! That is some impressive feat, for a game that big, to have so few noticeably reused assets. I don't personally mind that too much anyway, it's just part and parcel with open world games sometimes. But wow, that is so impressive for them to create a world so varied, that an Elevator shaft is the glaring thing you notice of a reused asset.

That is a painstaking attention to detail that must have gone into that, and it almost gives me a MIND= BLOWN type of expression just thinking about that haha! MUST RESIST URGE TO BUY! 

n terms of the narrative - or to be specific, the world building and lore which provides the backdrop upon which the minimalist direct narrative is lent its grandeur - Elden Ring is interesting. Much hay was made of the involvement of A Song of Fire and Ice author, professional procrastinator and South-Park-Confirmed penis obsessive George RR Martin, in the crafting of the lore of The Lands Between in which Elden Ring takes place. The general set up of the world is genuinely interesting - alien and convoluted and strange, with a vast history to be uncovered in fractured splinters and curious fragments, though I have trouble genuinely seeing the influence Martin had. Having played the game, it feels far closer to the lore style Miyazaki displayed in previous Souls games than anything on display in A Song of Fire and Ice (or Game of Thrones.) While I'd hesitate to accuse FROM of "stunt casting", and simply involving RR Martin as a crowd-drawing name, I do suspect his involvement was more to the extend of providing Miyazaki and his team with a fresh set of jumping off points, to ensure they did not grow stale, or find themselves repeating themes, than as a genuine writing or creative lead. The FROM lineage is simply too strong and too apparent for his influence to be felt. 

This is no great loss, I might add. Whatever the machinations and delineations of the creative process, the final product here is fascinating and very strong. I hesitate to delve into specifics - what constitutes a spoiler in a Souls game is debatable - however, given that discovery of the lore elements forms a driving factor in the player engagement, I simple elect to discuss the game in a broad sense. There is lore, it is good, and - like previous souls games - virtually all detective work on the part of the player is rewarded. The lore has been worked out in such a way, that while little is directly handed to the player, each piece they uncover does fit into the grand jigsaw correctly - they only have to do the work to figure out how.

It's great to see that the lore still maintains a very rich high quality to it, doubly impressive when you consider the sheer scope of the game...... The George RR Martin thing, I'm personally not too bothered about, the minute I saw people going nuts that he was involved my intitial reaction was *cough* stunt casting *cough* or the writing equivalent of that, so it's funny you specifically mentioned that specific phrase ?!

It felt like something that was done just to give a bit more publicity and shine to the game. There's nothing wrong with that, and certainly if more people jumped in who wouldn't have done otherwise, then in the end that's no bad thing, to use Martin's name to get more eyes on the game.

I'll try really hard when I play it not to message you out of the blue like a fanny, saying things like "WHAT DID YOU THINK OF THIS PART" or something equally inane probably ?! It should be fun to be able to have a more open discussion about it in future though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I started to watch your list and i would fulfill Point 3 on your list and start Yelling at you ???
Seeing DkS2 so high in your list of awesomness feels like a betray ?

But its your 100% Accurate Scientific list ?

A nice idea though, with much effort so my respect for the hard work ?

• Like 1

Just now, Durandart said:

I started to watch your list and i would fulfill Point 3 on your list and start Yelling at you 1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png
Seeing DkS2 so high in your list of awesomness feels like a betray 1f602.png

Haha - you mean... Best Souls? ?

What can I say, DS2 is my favourite of the whole series... Twin-Blades for the win! ??

Just now, Durandart said:

But its your 100% Accurate Scientific list 1f609.png

A nice idea though, with much effort so my respect for the hard work 1f642.png

Thank you sir, I really appreciate that ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha - you mean... Best Souls1f61d.png

What can I say, DS2 is my favourite of the whole series... Twin-Blades for the win! 1f450.png1f44d.png

Thank you sir, I really appreciate that 1f601.png

Beast Souls? ?
Yeah, everyone has his favourite, i read your full articel for DkS2 and it is exactly like you said ": is almost immediately followed with a hasty "they're all great though!"  ?

i played so much souls but cant even remember the DlC The Crown of the old Iron king xD Exept Fume Knight, the bastard ?

I'm looking forward for more New Scientific Works ;)

Keep up the good work ?

• Like 1

It’s been a while since I left a decent comment behind – I have been saving up some thoughts that are nearly finished cooki- oho! Here they are!

Apotheon (yeah we’re going back a few... just coz I haven’t commented doesn’t mean I’m not reading ?).

Doc, you are added to what is becoming quite a long list of Checklisters that have played this game and regaled at length in support of Apotheon. Surely you can’t all be wrong – I’ve just got to add it to The List now.

The artstyle truly does leap off the screen and as a fellow fan of the Greek mythos, there’s more than enough there in that game for me to pick it up, I think.

Control

This baby is burning a hole in my dashboard.

To play ASAP or to play when I get a PS5... nah I can’t wait that long. 

You point out that the map system is woeful but juuuust adequate enough that you would keep attempting to use it instead of following the environmental directions; I will try to remember this when I play it.

Don’t. Use. The Map. 
Ok I think I got it.

I am very much excited to see the visual strengths and the depth of the lore that Control received praise for. 

I’ve actually seen VERY little of this game (maybe a forgotten trailer here or there), so most of what I imagine Control will look like is based on a quick scouting of the PSNP trophy guide with extrapolated imagery based in your own review, and I have to say, I am excited. It has a lot of ingredients to be a sleeper-hit for myself.

Dead Cells’ DLC

On the flip side of you getting me hyped for most games, occasionally it backfires! ?

Your Dead Cells DLC compares it to Dishonoured 2, Transistor and Dark Souls. I am looking forward to ALL OF THAT except for the Dishonored games. I am a little worried about em. I’ve got them but they don’t look so much like something that is in my wheelhouse. I’ll start Dishonored 1 in about a month’s time – no matter what – but my hype metre is petering out a bit. Can you help me moisten the appetite if you have the time?

Elden Ring

That’s quite the opus (x2!! FromSoftware leaving a mark and you leaving such a chunk of heart behind on the thread for it).

The bit that really stood out to me was that this is like a Greatest Hits for FromSoft and not so much like a brand new album. That sounds PERFECT for exactly what I want to get out of Elden Ring when I get to playing it myself as I’ve only played Bloodborne. 

Better still I am intrigued how one can go from a fleshed-out castle to an icey blizzard to a desert oasis to something else in one sitting and have all of those biomes blend together in a natural way, but if you say it is so, then bring it on.

It is a shame that there is no overt narrative though (a shame for me, that is, because FromSoft fans don’t seem to care/they seem to enjoy the communal acts of piecing the lore together in these games). I was a believer in the GRR Martin hype and to see that I won’t get much out of that is a letdown.

Mark of the Ninja

...are you praising another Klei game? ?

Yeah, I’ll buy it now. Convinced! I needed a review from a trusted source. I’ve had it recommended a few times by people that I do not consider to be good judges of games and the trailer is a bit sub-par, but yet, an old (definitely “pre-Science Checklist” old) post from yourself about hidden gems mentioned it so, well, as review requests are your specialty... why not?

Thank you ?

The Swapper

Seriously, this has to stop. You add games to The List literally at a 2:1 rate relating to how fast I can get through them. I have neither the time nor the money. You are tearing my family apart!

the-room-you-are-tearing-me-apart-lisa.g

The Longest Road on Earth

Will you use this for the MHA Community Event? The trophy rarity (98+%) just makes me shudder a little bit... I will order colourful cocktails, I will point out shirtless dudes for my wife if they run by, and I will publically admit that I will pre-order a game if I truly trust the developer, but I don’t think that I am secure enough in myself and how I may be perceived by the world if I was to have a 98 percenter on my PSN profile. Am I iNsAnE ? Put me on the couch again Doc, I'm ranting in public again.

• Like 2