Dualshock 3 no longer recharge

Well, I have this semi new ps3 controller for a few months, this controller presented a somewhat unusual problem at times, it "locked" some battery/signal lights that it is on and remained that way until fully discharged, it took a whole day before he hung up and I was able to recharge from scratch again. this problem has already happened with other controls as well. so today the controller refuses to recharge, the lights don't even appear when the cable is connected, and that same cable is in perfect condition and recharges other controls. researching I found solutions about resetting through the input next to L2, or solutions that involve technical knowledge to disassemble and remove screws and tamper with the battery, I don't particularly want to risk doing something like this because I've had bad experiences trying to fix electronic things without any knowledge about the area. any light of what to do?

Have you tried connecting it to a PC? Mostly just to rule out it isn't a counterfeit controller, those are sadly really common nowadays and sometimes almost indistinguishable from the real thing. It should read as "PLAYSTATION(R) 3 Controller" under devices on Windows if it's the real thing, though I am unsure if fakes have managed to perhaps falsify even this information nowadays. Might be best to look up a fairly recent guide on how to tell if a Dualshock 3 is genuine or not.

If you're sure it's real, all I can suggest is reseating or replacing the battery. I know you said you're not comfortable with that, but if you watch a few videos and read a few step by step guides (preferably with photos) beforehand, it shouldn't be too hard. I'm a complete amateur when it comes to electronics/hardware as well, but I've managed to open up some Dualshock 2s and other devices in order to fix them or replace something before, after making sure I was pretty confident I knew what I was doing, what was what, what went where, etc. etc. Of course, it may not even be the battery at fault, but it's worth trying if you've already exhausted other options.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Well, I have this semi new ps3 controller for a few months, this controller presented a somewhat unusual problem at times, it "locked" some battery/signal lights that it is on and remained that way until fully discharged, it took a whole day before he hung up and I was able to recharge from scratch again. this problem has already happened with other controls as well. so today the controller refuses to recharge, the lights don't even appear when the cable is connected, and that same cable is in perfect condition and recharges other controls. researching I found solutions about resetting through the input next to L2, or solutions that involve technical knowledge to disassemble and remove screws and tamper with the battery, I don't particularly want to risk doing something like this because I've had bad experiences trying to fix electronic things without any knowledge about the area. any light of what to do?

Is it a Sony one or fake? I'd guess a fake one.

Have you tried maybe using different chargers to charge it?

If it still doesn't work maybe you'll just have to pick up another controller.

40 minutes ago, Cobbsquatch said:

Just plug in ya DS4, it's better in everyway.

They aren't nearly as sturdy as DS3's. If a DS4 is plugged in an falls off your leg, the connection port is (in my case) always damaged...meaning it will never charge up again. I've lost several DS4's that way. If a DS3 is plugged in and falls off your leg, you pick it back up and no problems. DS4's are way too fragile. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

They aren't nearly as sturdy as DS3's. If a DS4 is plugged in an falls off your leg, the connection port is (in my case) always damaged...meaning it will never charge up again. I've lost several DS4's that way. If a DS3 is plugged in and falls off your leg, you pick it back up and no problems. DS4's are way too fragile. 

I've had 2 DS4s since the PS4's launch develop stick drift. First was after about 4 years, but the second was after just 6 months of buying it (brand new). The launch controllers also had that issue with the rubber randomly peeling off the sticks.

Meanwhile, I have DS3s that are 13+ years old that still work perfectly fine aside from having 5-10 hour long battery lives now, and the D-pad on one of them requiring a bit more pressure to register inputs nowadays (probably just need to clean it).

Dunno what it is with DS4s, but I've been very disappointed with their quality. Had issues with Xbox One controllers as well to be fair, and don't get me started on Nintendo's recent controllers. Almost feels like they deliberately put time bombs in some of them nowadays to make you shell out for a new controller every few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobbsquatch said:

Just plug in ya DS4, it's better in everyway.

If Sony allowed the PS button to work when using a DS4 on PS3 I'd say 1000%. But the fact you can't makes it somewhat frustrating to use and basically means you need a DS3, at least as a PS button only controller.

• Like 2

It's very easy to get fooled by fake Dualshock 3 controllers, because that is what's selling nowadays. The real Dualshock 3 controller will always be better. I got scammed with a fake Dualshock 3 controller. The control sticks don't feel as smooth or comfortable, the button pressing feels off, and it doesn't handle as well as a real one.

Research and see if you can buy a real Dualshock 3 controller. Even a used one is far better than a fake new controller.

48 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

It's very easy to get fooled by fake Dualshock 3 controllers, because that is what's selling nowadays. The real Dualshock 3 controller will always be better. I got scammed with a fake Dualshock 3 controller. The control sticks don't feel as smooth or comfortable, the button pressing feels off, and it doesn't handle as well as a real one.

Research and see if you can buy a real Dualshock 3 controller. Even a used one is far better than a fake new controller.

I didn't have much choice so I bought a fake one. it lasted a few months, it's in perfect physical condition, what the fuck.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:26 PM, MidnightDragon said:

This is a good controller to use, but not cheap.

I also use the Hori FPS+ turbo controller. It works with PS3 & PS4 and has a hella long (15ft?) cable.