Mastery Challenge DLC

Finally completed it myself yesterday and must give credit to both the guide & excellent tips in this forum chat.

Overall, this was painful to say the least.

Some of the challenges are pretty good & I enjoyed the process of developing a strategy to get the Gold i.e. try new approaches, get a bit further each time, learn what to do next, etc.

Some of them though are broken. If I fail to get Gold due to a mistake I made then that's fair but when the game itself does its best to sabotage your run it is not. Glitches I encountered include enemies hiding inside a rock face, enemies spawning in out of map areas, enemies suiciding randomly, attack animations not playing (& me burnt to a crisp as a result), barrels exploding as the trial loaded, etc. One I experienced on a melee trial was the enemies not even attacking & just shouting "yellow dog" at me. Difficult to get stun kills!

Restarting a trial does not always reset it properly. You need to log out of the game and reload e.g. "Templebrough Fort - Trial of the Wolf" - a restart resulted in half the barrels exploding which made that objective much more difficult

By far the hardest for me was the "Odin Mine Hideout" Raven trial.

Eternal thanks to 1) Xilanaz suggested approach on how to take out the "suicide enemy" (whilst I knew what he was doing & rushed that area to kill him before he killed himself. However, when you've already been spotted by the other archers it results in the loss (or none spawning) of another enemy & ruins your run. Or at least thats how it appeared for me. Taking him out using platform = full compliment of enemies.2) Argandalf's guide & BestUsername--- for the weak spot exploit discovery. You saved my sanity!

Origins & Odyssey were both superb games & can't recall any issues with them. Was really hyped for Valhalla but my experience started with a world wide game breaking glitch, other missions that would not start/finish & amusing (if sloppy) visual glitches (underwater hares, horses on roofs, cows upside down, pig floating in mid air). Most of impacting glitches have been addressed but it has tarnished my overall enjoyment. C'est La Vie.......

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Future trophy achievers rejoice.

Ubisoft has announced that they have reduced the gold requirements for the Odin Mine Wolf challenge, so it seems they knew it was a mess. Reading the comments, they might have not fixed the enemies killing themselves, just the scoring amounts.

Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 5:31 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I’ve played most Assassin’s Creed games except for Chronicles and Valhalla. I’m an experienced veteran, and Valhalla just looks to be more of the same that I’ve already seen in Odyssey and Origins. 

I’m sure in time, Ubisoft will patch these challenges to make them more accessible for the average player. To be frank they were never good about implementing a challenge that was actually good. In the older games the 100 percent sync requirements were clearly racked on. You obviously didn’t get 100 percent sync in Assassin’s Creed III, which I regard as having the worst story missions. 

I don’t jump headfirst into games like you guys do. I’ve definitely waited on my games because I realize more and more they’re practically unfinished at release. 

There was the drinking minigame in Watch Dogs 1 that everyone regarded as hard. Ubisoft nerfed it so it would be a lot easier. If they don’t make the challenges somewhat easier in the near future, I will be honestly quite surprised.

I think you need to get over yourself tbh and not be so quick to dismiss others. I've played every AC game and been a fan for over a decade. Have the plat and 100% in all of them. I know the lore and characters inside out so I can tell you that Valhalla is mechanically broken.

You cannot judge a game by "how it looks". Video games is an interactive medium. You're also not actually listening to the complaints - it's not about "accessibility for the average gamer" (Who are you to define who is an average gamer or not?)  The game is extremely buggy. This includes the core mechanics and things not working as they should. A.I. killing themselves and insta detecting the player with eyes in the back of the head is not a challenge. That's a bug that needs to be fixed. Also, ACIII 100% sync was easy; what the hell are you talking about? The only difficult one was the one with the ship and the storm which could be avoided if you just don't upgrade the ram. The optional constraints were very good at first,  they only started to become a bit silly (and incidentally easier) later on.

Reading the complaints on here I 100% believe them and I won't even start the challenges until these bugs are fixed. Until then I'm moving on to games that I don't have to micro manage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I think you need to get over yourself tbh and not be so quick to dismiss others. I've played every AC game and been a fan for over a decade. Have the plat and 100% in all of them. I know the lore and characters inside out so I can tell you that Valhalla is mechanically broken.

You cannot judge a game by "how it looks". Video games is an interactive medium. You're also not actually listening to the complaints - it's not about "accessibility for the average gamer" (Who are you to define who is an average gamer or not?)  The game is extremely buggy. This includes the core mechanics and things not working as they should. A.I. killing themselves and insta detecting the player with eyes in the back of the head is not a challenge. That's a bug that needs to be fixed. Also, ACIII 100% sync was easy; what the hell are you talking about? The only difficult one was the one with the ship and the storm which could be avoided if you just don't upgrade the ram. The optional constraints were very good at first,  they only started to become a bit silly (and incidentally easier) later on.

Reading the complaints on here I 100% believe them and I won't even start the challenges until these bugs are fixed. Until then I'm moving on to games that I don't have to micro manage.

You waited until weeks later to make a response towards me?

This is an opinion. I think I have just as much right to comment as you. Just because I haven't gotten around to two Assassin's Creed games doesn't mean my opinion is less valid than yours. I compared this with Days Gone challenges and people freaked out at me over it.

Where in these games do you have to micro manage? Ubisoft generally makes them where you don't have to do any real micro managing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

This is an opinion. I think I have just as much right to comment as you. Just because I haven't gotten around to two Assassin's Creed games doesn't mean my opinion is less valid than yours.

@AJ_Radio - come on man - think about what you are saying.

If one person has literally played the game in question to completion, and the other person hasn't played it at all, then yes, one opinion is less valid than the other. 

• Like 2

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

@AJ_Radio - come on man - think about what you are saying.

If one person has literally played the game in question to completion, and the other person hasn't played it at all, then yes, one opinion is less valid than the other. 

I've played enough Ubisoft games to know they're rather formulaic. I already know what Assassin's Creed Valhalla is about because I watched it thru YouTube and Twitch.tv livestreams.

There's little doubt I will get to it. I've been rather burnt out on open world games. Odyssey, Mafia: Definitive Edition, Need for Speed Rivals, Black Flag, I need a break from them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I've played enough Ubisoft games to know they're rather formulaic. I already know what Assassin's Creed Valhalla is about because I watched it thru YouTube and Twitch.tv livestreams.

There's little doubt I will get to it. I've been rather burnt out on open world games. Odyssey, Mafia: Definitive Edition, Need for Speed Rivals, Black Flag, I need a break from them.

Me too - I'm in virtually the same exact position as you - but I'm not gonna start arguing that my opinion on a game I haven't played yet is as valid as someone who has played it, just because I know about other games.

By that rationale, I could say I have a more informed and nuanced opinion of Super Meat Boy than you, since - despite my never having played it and you having the platinum- I have more total games played than you and therefore I just 'know games better'. ? :facepalm:

39 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

You waited until weeks later to make a response towards me?

This is an opinion. I think I have just as much right to comment as you. Just because I haven't gotten around to two Assassin's Creed games doesn't mean my opinion is less valid than yours. I compared this with Days Gone challenges and people freaked out at me over it.

Uh, I've only just returned to Valhalla to complete the DLC so never fully read this thread (if at all). I wanted to start the mastery challenges but I remember reading on the official forums that they currently have problems so came to psn profiles to check. I only saw your post at the time I responded. Your 'opinion' will be valid once you've played it. 

Where in these games do you have to micro manage? Ubisoft generally makes them where you don't have to do any real micro managing.

In VALHALLA there is a lot of micro managing. You would know that if you've played it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Me too - I'm in virtually the same exact position as you - but I'm not gonna start arguing that my opinion on a game I haven't played yet is as valid as someone who has played it, just because I know about other games.

By that rationale, I could say I have a more informed and nuanced opinion of Super Meat Boy than you, since - despite my never having played it and you having the platinum- I have more total games played than you and therefore I just 'know games better'. 1f602.png :facepalm:

Ubisoft games tend to be formulaic. I mean sure, Odyssey and Valhalla were developed by two different divisions within Ubisoft. I expect Valhalla to basically pick up where Origins left off. 

I honestly don’t care much for the other Ubisoft franchises. Assassin’s Creed is the one series I’ve stuck with, even since the original game back in 2007. 

10 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

In VALHALLA there is a lot of micro managing. You would know that if you've played it. 

I’ve already seen this on Twitch.tv and Youtube. Honestly the micro managing isn’t all that bad. 

I’m not shelling out money and hacking away at this game for a solid month or two just to prove my point to you. 

24 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I honestly don’t care much for the other Ubisoft franchises. Assassin’s Creed is the one series I’ve stuck with, even since the original game back in 2007. 

hey man - if they ever did get it together to do a new Prince of Persia, that IP could easily be a powerhouse again.
This is really the ideal time for them to do it, since Assassins Creed has largely moved away from the style that they originally worked in, which kinda ate PoP’s lunch.

Now there’s a space for it, I’d imagine the right approach could see the Prince come back with a Kratos style soft-reboot revival that could totally work.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

• 5 months later...
On 15/06/2021 at 9:14 PM, Deluziion90 said:

Already posted this on the ps5 version so for all the stackers be aware:

Be aware that cross save really messes up the new 2 trophies.

I've earned the first gold medal on the ps5 version and made a cloud save to check if the ps4 version also popped which ofcourse didn't pop.

I replayed an easy level which I already had gold on my ps4 version and again no trophy.

Replayed a new level and achieved a gold medal no trophy.

I think you actually need to start the whole questline on the ps4 seperate from the ps5 version -_-....

Not the whole quest line. For anyone reading and wants to know, all you need to do is play one mastery challenge on PS5 and one mastery challenge on PS4 and get gold medal in them for the 'first gold mastery' trophy. Don't use cross save as it needs to be fresh.

Then for the 'True Master' trophy make a manual save before your last challenge then get the gold medal. Upload that manual save to ubi cloud and boot it up on the other version. Replay the last challenge and get gold again.  In short, you only need to replay the first and last challenge to stack. My advice would be to make sure the last challenge is a nice, easy one otherwise you'll have to play an annoying one twice.

Anyway, I'm glad I waited until the bugs were fixed.   It was still as horrible as everyone said with NPCs getting stuck behind walls and other inaccessible areas meaning I had to restart whole challenges on perfect runs.  Plus the broken A.I. detection ruins otherwise well designed stealth levels. However, I didn't encounter any suicidal enemies and the bear challenges, at least, had some room for error. I'm not sure why Ubisoft would release this mastery  DLC - all it does is highlight the game's faults. They're tolerable in the main game where you can simply move on and/or improvise when things go belly up but the mastery DLC demands perfection from players while failing to provide it in its A.I. and core mechanics.

• Like 1