Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

5 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

?? This is The Witness in a microcosm!

It is also my inner voice trying to make sense of any of my prior drafts of video game reviews, as well as what I look like when trying to explain LOST or Survivor or the history of Rock and Roll to Mrs Gonzo.

Hahaha I just pictured y'all's living room with her seated on the couch and you wildly gesticulating with easels holding up pictures of Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, and a schematic for the electric guitar. That is a fun topic?

My favourite review from you, my guy. I'm so glad you liked it (...ish ?). 

Thanks bro? I'm really glad you enjoyed it. And I also appreciate the added -ish?

... and the next step after that is Return of the Obra Dinn...

I'll just leave my bank card here, y'all do your thing?

47 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

The Sniper missions were the shit - and the idea of giving them a multi-player option?? Fuck yes!! Along with Rocket League, add Hitman 2 to the list of games where if anybody needs a helping hand, I'm on board. Shit was a blast! Shoutout to @Heather342 incidentally, we may have knocked those missions out in record time!

That was a good time ?. It had been a while since I'd done the MP missions, and I'd forgotten how to mark targets ?. Would have been helpful as we weren't in voice chat lol. But hey, we still managed it without stepping on each others toes! I'd also forgotten that my MP character's sniper isn't levelled up as good as 47, so that wobbly rifle aim was challenging, especially on Hantu Port when I was trying to hide that guard behind the shutter door. That was some kick ass teamwork when you saw what I was trying to do and helped knock the guy into the hiding spot ?

I'm pretty excited for you to play Hitman 3. Also there was good news that IOI are making new missions and levels for Hitman 3 (and hopefully new trophies! ?)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Heather342 said:

That was a good time ?. It had been a while since I'd done the MP missions, and I'd forgotten how to mark targets ?. Would have been helpful as we weren't in voice chat lol. But hey, we still managed it without stepping on each others toes! I'd also forgotten that my MP character's sniper isn't levelled up as good as 47, so that wobbly rifle aim was challenging, especially on Hantu Port when I was trying to hide that guard behind the shutter door. That was some kick ass teamwork when you saw what I was trying to do and helped knock the guy into the hiding spot ?

I like how the MP snipers aren't quite as slick as 47... he's just that good?

And yes!! Dude I don't know if you felt it but I gave you an enthusiastic high five, that was such a cool moment! I remember being pressed for time and asking if we could knock it out in fifteen minutes or something like that, and we ended up finishing them with time to spare. I found myself wishing it had taken a little longer, it was indeed a good time!

8 hours ago, Heather342 said:

I'm pretty excited for you to play Hitman 3. Also there was good news that IOI are making new missions and levels for Hitman 3 (and hopefully new trophies! ?)

I'm trying to make myself finish a few other things before starting up Hitman 3... like eating your vegetables first as a kid. If I time it right, I'll finish it and be sad, then new DLC will come out and I'll be like ?☹️????????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Hitman 2 pulls off a dope trick that you don't see very often - it doesn't try so hard to reinvent the wheel, rather it makes a remarkably organic progression that comes off as effortless, and yet feels like everything. Much like how when a mechanic does a good job, you initially don't actually notice anything, it all feels like business as usual... after a while though, it becomes evident how much smoother everything runs.

That's totally true - of both the technical stuff, and the missions themselves!

It's pretty remarkable how much H2 treats H1 as just the baseline, and immediately starts upping the ante with bigger maps, more targets, and just weird additions that felt so much more complex - like in Mumbai, having the other assassin there, or not knowing who then target is... or in Whittleton creek, having the whole evidence gathering part... it felt like they just slowly added stuff, to the extent that the initial missions (while still great) started to feel almost basic...

I remember thinking as I went into the Bank level... oh, only one target, pffft. This'll be easy... then having to get that noisemaker out of the vault, and getting smoked like 15 times ?

Speaking of the plot, things take an interesting turn, and leads me to one of the few criticisms I have for Hitman 2. The sharp, cinematic cutscenes are sorely missed. The Max Payne style images we're treated to are not at all a bad thing, but the first game spoiled us - and as my wife would say, the story is gettin juicy!!

Yeah.. that was a shame. I mean, kudos to them for knowing which stuff to lose when they the studio got gutted - obviously I'd rather have less spent on cutscenes than the levels, but it was jarring after such high-quality cut scenes in H1.... luckily, they are back in H3! ?

I like how 47 has become more animated in this one. Watching him bartend on Haven Island, for example, just gave me unspeakable joy - not because I'm a bartender and I thought "WOW HE DOES THE THING I DO TOO" necessarily, but because it was one of the rare times he seemed to enjoy himself while doing something other than snapping someone's neck!

Haha- my favourite "written" moment of all of the trilogy is in H@ - the Bank again, when you do the interview! He is the most deadpan sociopath you could ever meet, and yet the interviewers are just like... "O...Kay..." :huh: - they should be fleeing in terror from that dude! If I was giving that interview, I'd have immediately set the building on fire and been like "This Bank is forfeit! Run people!"

Bruh. I legit can't wait to get into Hitman 3!

??

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha- my favourite "written" moment of all of the trilogy is in H@ - the Bank again, when you do the interview! He is the most deadpan sociopath you could ever meet, and yet the interviewers are just like... "O...Kay..." :huh: - they should be fleeing in terror from that dude! If I was giving that interview, I'd have immediately set the building on fire and been like "This Bank is forfeit! Run people!"

My favourite one is when you're doing the real estate house tour in Whittleton Creek. Going round all the rooms giving the tour with generic boring descriptions, then unlock that bedroom where a murder took place and suddenly 47 is getting veeeeerrrrry detailed about the direction of blood splatter on the walls ?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's pretty remarkable how much H2 treats H1 as just the baseline, and immediately starts upping the ante with bigger maps, more targets, and just weird additions that felt so much more complex - like in Mumbai, having the other assassin there, or not knowing who then target is... or in Whittleton creek, having the whole evidence gathering part... it felt like they just slowly added stuff, to the extent that the initial missions (while still great) started to feel almost basic...

Oh absolutely - even if I hadn't finished the Paris mission countless times, I feel I could do it with my eyes closed after mastering the missions in H2! I forgot to mention the other Assassin- what a great wrinkle that was, being able to outsource the gig?

I remember thinking as I went into the Bank level... oh, only one target, pffft. This'll be easy... then having to get that noisemaker out of the vault, and getting smoked like 15 times 1f602.png

Broooo I had the exact same thought! Especially since it isn't a particularly large level, you feel like you're gonna breeze right through. I ended up really enjoying that one (well shit, which one didn't I enjoy)! Also I'd like to make a Chris Griffin-esque observation and blurt out "I liked running around in the bunny outfit!"

Yeah.. that was a shame. I mean, kudos to them for knowing which stuff to lose when they the studio got gutted - obviously I'd rather have less spent on cutscenes than the levels, but it was jarring after such high-quality cut scenes in H1.... luckily, they are back in H3! 1f609.png

Well said! They definitely made the right decision, and with all the turmoil the studio experienced at the time, it's a wonder we got a game at all, much less such a good one! Haha I felt weird mentioning it, as it's very much like complaining that your butler doesn't smile enough or something like that, but I'm overjoyed to hear that H3 sees them return!

36 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

My favourite one is when you're doing the real estate house tour in Whittleton Creek. Going round all the rooms giving the tour with generic boring descriptions, then unlock that bedroom where a murder took place and suddenly 47 is getting veeeeerrrrry detailed about the direction of blood splatter on the walls 1f602.png

Oh my God I can't believe I forgot to mention either of those... comedic gold!!

I love how in the interview when you give the responses in the correct order they're like "You're hired!! Here's access to the entire bank!!"

Even the generic room descriptions start off funny, like how a living room has easy to access exits?

EDIT: In honor of this being my 444th post

jay-Z-444-DISTRACTTV.jpg

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 2

Damn Dude - you are really knocking it out of the park with these reviews......

..... Every time I seem to turn my head to the side for a moment, the minute I turn back a new one seems to appear!

I want to say thanks as well - because I've loved having something to come and have a read of after having to deal with something particularly frustrating in Yakuza 3 so having a welcome little break and an awesome review to read has absolutely helped!

They've all been awesome - OBVIOUSLY-  so  it's definitely a nice reminder that I need to get my act together a bit and get writing again.

Instead of just hanging around playing Koi-Koi in virtual Japan every single bit of allotted free time I have at the moment!

On 02/01/2022 at 10:16 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #14: Parappa the Rapper

The rhythm is in sync, the rhymes are on time

tl9G9gSx8BnafIWSCBPK63svxuXS2vFy.jpg

You have no idea how much I enjoyed reading that one - especially as I was absolute pigeons arse at that game (do they have arses?)...... Ahem maybe best not to dwell on that part.

Long story short (for once ?,) I sucked at this game..... Like, really sucked. It's hard to even quantify the absolute sucktitude that I was capable of in this game - but I did enjoy playing it..... Reading about the other levels was a real joy though, because I never managed to get past even the second level, I had fun trying though..... And I will, as many others will always remember the whole "KICK, PUNCH, IT'S ALL IN THE MIND" from that opening level. 

I do think some of the hip-hop in this game is essentially what someone's Dad thinks hip-hop music is. That or someone just stumbled across a bunch of bootleg VHS tapes of GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling) from the local flea market, heard some of the Glow girls doing their raps and thought that was what all Hip-Hop was :lol:

On 01/01/2022 at 2:03 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Oh I'm not opposed! That's just for fun. My favorite celebrity comparison I've gotten is as follows:

"You look like Johnny Depp.. but not in a movie, like when he's at a gas station or something and lookin kinda busted, like a normal person."

.....thanks, I guess..

I didn't have the camera one in mind, but the second I saw it I knew that was exactly the correct one. Almost as if Marty turned his head to me and started talking about Ogloc the Orc!

I could think of worse comparisons than Johnny Depp I'd totally take that - even if it was Johnny Depp locked in The Viper Room at the height of the early 90's surrounded by nothing but white powder....

Still I thought I'd necro this specific reply of yours to show you the famous person most people seem to think I look like.... I guess there are worse options, but the one I get most often is Dan Hawkins from the band The Darkness..... Thank goodness it isn't his brother Justin though, I wouldn't take that well.

The-Darkness-2015-10-25-SOM-RCD-140-Edit-2.jpg

Dan is the one on the right - and  I can definitely see the similarity, to a point - if ever I post a picture of myself on the site (for whatever reason that might be,) then you can always do the whole comparison thing.... I mean that is literally exactly what my hair looks like right now same hair colour and everything, especially now that I've cut it a little shorter than it was, beef up that guys shoulders and yeah it wouldn't look too dissimilar to me at all.....

I prefer the Michael J. Fox comparison though - just because I really like it, so let's go with that, and pretend you haven't seen this one.... Yes? ?

On 03/01/2022 at 9:38 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #41: The Witness

You realize the sun doesn't go down, it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

shot_2015.09.16__time_13_00_n37.0.0.png

As tempting as it is to unpack every single thing you mentioned about The Witness.... Which was great by the way - and I really love that you loved it.... The thing that is really shouting out at me is...... "Why haven't I played this yet?"

I know I'll like it - I love puzzle games - yet I just haven't committed to this one yet and I absolutely should.

You have given it a huge lift up the waiting list though....... Yourself, Gonzo and Doc have done such a great job of selling the twists and turns of the adventure that you can have with this game!

On 04/01/2022 at 11:29 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #44: Dex

I've become the volts to lead the revolt

dex-ps4-001.jpg?w=775&h=436

Another Awesome review with this one man!

I'm glad that you and I seemed to be practically on the same page with this one..... I really loved the game for what it is.... I'm guessing you didn't feel the Strange Days vibe that I did though or you probably would have mentioned it.... I don't know why it specifically reminds me of that film but it does.

I'm glad you mentioned the fact it's absolutely littered with cliched tropes and storytelling - yet it really kind of plays up to that - it knows it's not really doing something wholly original, but it really excel with what it does do. Those cliches don't really hamper the experience too much I don't think. 

At least you did bother to actually finish the game - a lot of trophy hunters wouldn't bother to, but it is very strange the way the platinum pops about ten minutes before the end and you kind of think..... Why not just delay a little bit further? Strange one that one.

I do get what you mean about the endings too - I felt pretty similar myself, but as you alluded to in my thread, when that's one of your main gripes, the game probably has done something right, if all you want is more from it.

If you dug that hacking mini-game by the way, you should have a fun time with bits of NieR:Automata, they have practically the same hacking system, so that bit will seem really familiar to you.

On 06/01/2022 at 7:50 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Hundo #12: Hitman 2

One cocksure fox in a house of hens

Cmpi6xmWjNaLEwr8eUCl5zOv.png

B=but....... Smevz, why didn't you even once mention the gross naked man from Haven Island with his dangly minging skin tags and dangly coco pop moles.... I don't know if you have Coco Pops in the US, but they are just rice cereal with chocolate on them...... That dude was practically covered in them though - so gross..

Nah seriously though that was an absolute blast to read - I love how much fun you had with Hitman 2..... It's such a great game, and  a pretty solid time commitment too, yet it doesn't really feel like a problem does it? You're just kind of happy to be along for the ride.

I'm glad you had fun with the Sniper Maps.... Those can be really fun when you play through them with a friend.... Glad you and @Heather342 managed to have a pretty memorable time even if you didn't play it all that long. That's awesome! 

I remember when I loaded up The Last Yardbird one and my friend who'd already played them was like "Right, Rob are you listening?...... Now you just have to kill the targets...... " To which just as he was saying targets I'd shot a gardener in the face and sent him flying through a hedge to which he was like "I said the targets!" How was I to know who specifically was a target ?..... We had loads of fun on that, and it's a mode that really doesn't feel like a tacked on component it just feels like a worthy alternative to the main game which itself if awesome.

So many great levels in Hitman 2 - I think Mumbai might take my favourite from that game, but like you alluded to, it isn't as if there are any that are bad or that you don't end up liking to some degree. For as much as I rag on Haven Island quite a lot(I think it's a bit too flat,)  I love the fact it's got some huge underground part of the map that you could so easily miss seeing entirely, like a little mini Sapienza... I LOVE SAPIENZA..... SORRY NOT SORRY.  :lol:

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #27: The Suicide of Rachel Foster

She was sixteen, another young angel with clipped wings

The-Suicide-of-Rachel-Foster-review-imag

That is a tough one when real life experiences start to cloud how you think of a specific game - I did actually read the spoiler part for once, because I thought it was important to do so...... I'm sorry to hear about real life events being the thing that got you writing about this one. Even sorrier that you even have to experience them, nobody should have to find something like that about their friends....

I've gotta take my hat off to you for putting yourself on the line and bringing it up though - because it's obviously incredibly important in conveying exactly how you feel about this game.

I've got a recommendation though - if you got enjoyment to a point (tough to say you love a game like this, isn't it)  from The Suicide of Rachel Foster then you ought to take a look at The Town of Light if you get a chance, it's not dealing with a similar subject matter, but it does handle something you specially mentioned which is this......

But I just can't help taking issue with downplaying something of that kind of severity. At least one character gotta be like "yo, that's fucked up."

Although no character in that game really does that (there really are only one or two "characters" anyway).... It does make you, yourself do that, and the game is not afraid to go incredibly dark and in depth with it and make it abundantly clear that what went on in the real life Volterra Asylum that the game takes place in is absolutely abhorrently wrong.... I really gotta give that game credit for how certain aspects made me feel when I played through it.

Oh and play it in Italian with subtitles for the best experience too. 

Great review of Rachel Foster though..... I'm still probably going to play it at some point even if I now know the twist - I might have forgotten some of the specifics of it by the time I get around to it too!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Damn Dude - you are really knocking it out of the park with these reviews......

..... Every time I seem to turn my head to the side for a moment, the minute I turn back a new one seems to appear!

I want to say thanks as well - because I've loved having something to come and have a read of after having to deal with something particularly frustrating in Yakuza 3 so having a welcome little break and an awesome review to read has absolutely helped!

They've all been awesome - OBVIOUSLY-  so  it's definitely a nice reminder that I need to get my act together a bit and get writing again.

Thanks so much, man! After the Witness review, it kind of became a challenge I gave myself, to see how many days in a row I could write a review - the writing bug bit me, and I felt that I have so many reviews to get done that I may as well take advantage!

This last one was a close call, as I posted it at literally 11:59pm my time, and my work week starts up today, so the run is likely over, but it's been fun! The only thing is that I didn't want to be annoying, like "okay we get it, enough already!" so I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed them, that means a lot?

Instead of just hanging around playing Koi-Koi in virtual Japan every single bit of allotted free time I have at the moment!

Hey. Virtual Japan needs you!

You have no idea how much I enjoyed reading that one - especially as I was absolute pigeons arse at that game (do they have arses?)...... Ahem maybe best not to dwell on that part.

They have to have asses - have you seen the sidewalks and windshields that have fallen prey to pigeons? That certainly didn't come out of their mouths!

Long story short (for once 1f606.png,) I sucked at this game..... Like, really sucked. It's hard to even quantify the absolute sucktitude that I was capable of in this game - but I did enjoy playing it..... Reading about the other levels was a real joy though, because I never managed to get past even the second level, I had fun trying though..... And I will, as many others will always remember the whole "KICK, PUNCH, IT'S ALL IN THE MIND" from that opening level. 

I do think some of the hip-hop in this game is essentially what someone's Dad thinks hip-hop music is. That or someone just stumbled across a bunch of bootleg VHS tapes of GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling) from the local flea market, heard some of the Glow girls doing their raps and thought that was what all Hip-Hop was :lol:

I LOVE GLOW. Thank you Netflix for making me aware of that gem!

I wasn't very good at it either, and even though I managed to get the platinum I'm not convinced I mastered anything, or figured out how freestyling is supposed to work in that game!

And definitely agreed, some of the beats have this Fisher Price baby's first sampler feel to them, and some of the raps were like Rappin' Rodney level of cheese (everybody thought they could be a rapper for a moment in the 80s?). For whatever reason though, it just made it all the more charming to me!

I could think of worse comparisons than Johnny Depp I'd totally take that - even if it was Johnny Depp locked in The Viper Room at the height of the early 90's surrounded by nothing but white powder....

Still I thought I'd necro this specific reply of yours to show you the famous person most people seem to think I look like.... I guess there are worse options, but the one I get most often is Dan Hawkins from the band The Darkness..... Thank goodness it isn't his brother Justin though, I wouldn't take that well.

The-Darkness-2015-10-25-SOM-RCD-140-Edit-2.jpg

Dan is the one on the right - and  I can definitely see the similarity, to a point - if ever I post a picture of myself on the site (for whatever reason that might be,) then you can always do the whole comparison thing.... I mean that is literally exactly what my hair looks like right now same hair colour and everything, especially now that I've cut it a little shorter than it was, beef up that guys shoulders and yeah it wouldn't look too dissimilar to me at all.....

I prefer the Michael J. Fox comparison though - just because I really like it, so let's go with that, and pretend you haven't seen this one.... Yes? 1f44d.png

Holy shit you're Hyde!! I knew you were cool?

Sorry though, the Marty McFly comparison stays - these things are non-returnable, non-refundable, all sales are final type deals!

As tempting as it is to unpack every single thing you mentioned about The Witness.... Which was great by the way - and I really love that you loved it.... The thing that is really shouting out at me is...... "Why haven't I played this yet?"

I know I'll like it - I love puzzle games - yet I just haven't committed to this one yet and I absolutely should.

You have given it a huge lift up the waiting list though....... Yourself, Gonzo and Doc have done such a great job of selling the twists and turns of the adventure that you can have with this game!

I do hope you play it! I know you're a puzzle fan, but I myself am not and I still really enjoyed my time with The Witness. It's so well done, and the gradual shift over the course of the game that gets you like "the fuck is going on here??" plus the couple of twists you stumble upon makes for an incredible experience. Let me know when you play it! I'd be happy to be an ear for when you get frustrated and need to vent, or need to share something when the game fucks with your head?

I'm glad that you and I seemed to be practically on the same page with this one..... I really loved the game for what it is.... I'm guessing you didn't feel the Strange Days vibe that I did though or you probably would have mentioned it.... I don't know why it specifically reminds me of that film but it does.

I'm glad you mentioned the fact it's absolutely littered with cliched tropes and storytelling - yet it really kind of plays up to that - it knows it's not really doing something wholly original, but it really excel with what it does do. Those cliches don't really hamper the experience too much I don't think. 

So I fibbed a bit when I referenced your review- I also remembered your Strange Days reference, which is why I left that out. I wanted to be as far away from unintentional plagiarism as possible! I get a lot of Strange Days, as well as Hackers - that 90s sci-fi boom is generally well represented in Dex... which is fine with me, cuz I love that stuff!

It's definitely not the most original game you'll ever play, but it doesn't act like it is, which makes all the difference. It's just a good time?

At least you did bother to actually finish the game - a lot of trophy hunters wouldn't bother to, but it is very strange the way the platinum pops about ten minutes before the end and you kind of think..... Why not just delay a little bit further? Strange one that one.

I do get what you mean about the endings too - I felt pretty similar myself, but as you alluded to in my thread, when that's one of your main gripes, the game probably has done something right, if all you want is more from it.

If you dug that hacking mini-game by the way, you should have a fun time with bits of NieR:Automata, they have practically the same hacking system, so that bit will seem really familiar to you.

I can't imagine not wanting to see this game through to its conclusion! I wonder why they didn't feel the need to add another trophy for finishing it... maybe it came down to that or the prostitute one, and they were like "well I guess there's no trophy for finishing the story then, the whole reason we made this game was so that you could bang a few prostitutes!"

Ah, NieR... perhaps one day we shall meet.

B=but....... Smevz, why didn't you even once mention the gross naked man from Haven Island with his dangly minging skin tags and dangly coco pop moles.... I don't know if you have Coco Pops in the US, but they are just rice cereal with chocolate on them...... That dude was practically covered in them though - so gross..

Hahahaha and he's all walkin around with an open bathrobe! I wish I had given one of the maids emetic poison so I could pretend she was vomiting after having seen him walk by?

We have Coco Pops! We call them Cocoa Krispies here though (the deliberate misspelling means that we're coooool). That reminds me, I had this regular who was a funny dude but totally racist, he was talking with somebody about Mexicans (which I don't think he realized that I am) and was saying "we have those back in New York, except we call them 'Puerto Ricans.' Have you ever laughed at something against your own will? I really hate how much that made me laugh!

...where was I? Oh yeah, Coco Pop skin boy! Yeah, bluh?

I'm glad you had fun with the Sniper Maps.... Those can be really fun when you play through them with a friend.... Glad you and @Heather342 managed to have a pretty memorable time even if you didn't play it all that long. That's awesome! 

I remember when I loaded up The Last Yardbird one and my friend who'd already played them was like "Right, Rob are you listening?...... Now you just have to kill the targets...... " To which just as he was saying targets I'd shot a gardener in the face and sent him flying through a hedge to which he was like "I said the targets!" How was I to know who specifically was a target 1f602.png..... We had loads of fun on that, and it's a mode that really doesn't feel like a tacked on component it just feels like a worthy alternative to the main game which itself if awesome.

How were you supposed to know the gardener wasn't another hitman in disguise??? He should have been thanking you, that gardener could've brought down the whole operation if you didn't intervene! Sheesh, the lack of appreciation with some people...

I really liked it too! It had an almost arcadey feel with the points, and when I accidentally hid my first body?? Aw man, that was such a game changing moment!

So many great levels in Hitman 2 - I think Mumbai might take my favourite from that game, but like you alluded to, it isn't as if there are any that are bad or that you don't end up liking to some degree. For as much as I rag on Haven Island quite a lot(I think it's a bit too flat,)  I love the fact it's got some huge underground part of the map that you could so easily miss seeing entirely, like a little mini Sapienza... I LOVE SAPIENZA..... SORRY NOT SORRY.  :lol:

Don't you ever apologize for lovin Sapienza!

?IF LOVIN SAPIENZA IS WROOOOONG?

?I DON'T WAANNA BEEE RIGHT?

Interesting! I really liked Mumbai too, the city had such a cool look to it, and the isolated areas like the train yard and the movie set in that building were dope! Haven Island was really cool too I definitely got Sapienza vibes off of that one too - exotic locale with a mansion that has an underground lab... it's like Sapienza Redux!

That is a tough one when real life experiences start to cloud how you think of a specific game - I did actually read the spoiler part for once, because I thought it was important to do so...... I'm sorry to hear about real life events being the thing that got you writing about this one. Even sorrier that you even have to experience them, nobody should have to find something like that about their friends....

I've gotta take my hat off to you for putting yourself on the line and bringing it up though - because it's obviously incredibly important in conveying exactly how you feel about this game.

Thank you! It was something I felt weirdly strongly about, though I'm sorry for spoiling the story - I wish I had thought of a way to describe what bothered me about it without revealing so much!

I've got a recommendation though - if you got enjoyment to a point (tough to say you love a game like this, isn't it)  from The Suicide of Rachel Foster then you ought to take a look at The Town of Light if you get a chance, it's not dealing with a similar subject matter, but it does handle something you specially mentioned which is this......

Although no character in that game really does that (there really are only one or two "characters" anyway).... It does make you, yourself do that, and the game is not afraid to go incredibly dark and in depth with it and make it abundantly clear that what went on in the real life Volterra Asylum that the game takes place in is absolutely abhorrently wrong.... I really gotta give that game credit for how certain aspects made me feel when I played through it.

Oh and play it in Italian with subtitles for the best experience too. 

Ooh... *makes note*

Great review of Rachel Foster though..... I'm still probably going to play it at some point even if I now know the twist - I might have forgotten some of the specifics of it by the time I get around to it too!

I hope so, it's still a good game and worth your time! I feel bad now, I totally ruined it?

Part of why I wanted to review this one, spoilers and all, is that you and Doc had voiced an interest, and I didn't like the idea of you guys playing it, and possibly having a similar reaction to mine, and having it reflect oddly on me. Does that make sense?

Well, back to the box for me?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Thanks so much, man! After the Witness review, it kind of became a challenge I gave myself, to see how many days in a row I could write a review - the writing bug bit me, and I felt that I have so many reviews to get done that I may as well take advantage!

This last one was a close call, as I posted it at literally 11:59pm my time, and my work week starts up today, so the run is likely over, but it's been fun! The only thing is that I didn't want to be annoying, like "okay we get it, enough already!" so I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed them, that means a lot1f601.png

That's a real hot streak! Wish I could borrow myself some of that motivation from you right now - I have loads of things I want and need  to write, and zero motivation..... I can't even face writing a review of The Wolf Among Us (I'll go force myself after writing this post,) Copanele got one out faster than me, and I finished it all the way back in 2021...So I need to get my pigeon ass in gear ?

^^ That bit I put in bold - I can fully identify with that one - that's usually something I worry about too if I am on a bit of a run of releasing a lot of reviews which admittedly hasn't been for quite some time now, then I usually try and leave a day between them.... In all honesty though, I don't think you or I have to worry about an overabundance (or what we think is an overabundance) of reviews being annoying for people. It certainly wasn't for me, like I said I loved having those as a welcome distraction to take the edge off. So I was incredibly grateful for your awesome hot streak.

I LOVE GLOW. Thank you Netflix for making me aware of that gem!

I wasn't very good at it either, and even though I managed to get the platinum I'm not convinced I mastered anything, or figured out how freestyling is supposed to work in that game!

And definitely agreed, some of the beats have this Fisher Price baby's first sampler feel to them, and some of the raps were like Rappin' Rodney level of cheese (everybody thought they could be a rapper for a moment in the 80s1f602.png). For whatever reason though, it just made it all the more charming to me!

I was really gutted when they cancelled Season 4 of GLOW on Netflix - I've never really dabbled too much with the actual wrestling show that GLOW is inspired by outside of watching a documentary about it..... It's funny really because womens wrestling has really taken off in a huge way in the last few years, so a show like that might have done better in the current climate.

I'm more than a little convinced that Parapper is actually Poochie...... But when he was a child (puppy I guess) .... Would certainly make a few things make a bit more sense.

Hahahaha and he's all walkin around with an open bathrobe! I wish I had given one of the maids emetic poison so I could pretend she was vomiting after having seen him walk by?

Oh man! That would made such a funny video - and then just slowly zoomed in on one of the little danglies as it cut to a shot of her throwing her guts up. Yeah that guy really takes it for gross Hitman characters, he's right up there with the Meat King from Hitman:Contracts ?

We have Coco Pops! We call them Cocoa Krispies here though (the deliberate misspelling means that we're coooool). That reminds me, I had this regular who was a funny dude but totally racist, he was talking with somebody about Mexicans (which I don't think he realized that I am) and was saying "we have those back in New York, except we call them 'Puerto Ricans.' Have you ever laughed at something against your own will? I really hate how much that made me laugh!

That's pretty tone deaf of them to not be able to kind of notice  that the people around him might not take that wisecrack too well.......

...... Although saying that - yes, I do know exactly what you mean about laughing against your will.

My friend Paul makes me laugh like that far too often - he's the kind that in the pursuit of a laugh will usually go too far, and sometimes what he says is just really tough to not laugh at even when you know you shouldn't, which usually makes you laugh harder.....

Sorry though, the Marty McFly comparison stays - these things are non-returnable, non-refundable, all sales are final type deals!

That can stay - I like it anyway, so I wouldn't be scrabbling around asking for a refund.... Even if there was one available.

Interesting! I really liked Mumbai too, the city had such a cool look to it, and the isolated areas like the train yard and the movie set in that building were dope! Haven Island was really cool too I definitely got Sapienza vibes off of that one too - exotic locale with a mansion that has an underground lab... it's like Sapienza Redux!

If you ever play Blood Money, then you'll see the level that heavily inspired Whittleton Creek (another one I really like)  and also I believe one of the Sniper missions The Last Yardbird, heavily reminded me of the wedding level in Mississippi - that's another great level in that game.

Thank you! It was something I felt weirdly strongly about, though I'm sorry for spoiling the story - I wish I had thought of a way to describe what bothered me about it without revealing so much!

Don't be..... I chose to read them after all, so it isn't like you didn't give a spoiler warning so I'm perfectly cool with it.

..... which leads me to this....

Part of why I wanted to review this one, spoilers and all, is that you and Doc had voiced an interest, and I didn't like the idea of you guys playing it, and possibly having a similar reaction to mine, and having it reflect oddly on me. Does that make sense?

I know exactly what you mean - that's why I was a little anxious to hear your thoughts on Dex as well....

Whilst I can't speak for Doc.... I'm fairly sure that I would have had some of the same issues that you did with how Rachel Foster handles some of its plot, knowing what I know now about it.  I could probably see past it, but it definitely wouldn't be something I could ignore. I will play it at some point though - so we'll have to see how I actually end up reacting to it. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:46 PM, rjkclarke said:

That's a real hot streak! Wish I could borrow myself some of that motivation from you right now - I have loads of things I want and need  to write, and zero motivation..... I can't even face writing a review of The Wolf Among Us (I'll go force myself after writing this post,) Copanele got one out faster than me, and I finished it all the way back in 2021...So I need to get my pigeon ass in gear 1f602.png

Thanks! Bruh if only we could bottle the feeling of motivation...

I've been dragging my feet on reviewing that game as well - I don't know why, I really liked the game, but was never driven to write about it I guess. With Copanele writing a great one, then you with one waiting in the wings, I might end up waiting on that one a little longer??

Edit: Welp, guess I changed my mind on that one...

^^ That bit I put in bold - I can fully identify with that one - that's usually something I worry about too if I am on a bit of a run of releasing a lot of reviews which admittedly hasn't been for quite some time now, then I usually try and leave a day between them.... In all honesty though, I don't think you or I have to worry about an overabundance (or what we think is an overabundance) of reviews being annoying for people. It certainly wasn't for me, like I said I loved having those as a welcome distraction to take the edge off. So I was incredibly grateful for your awesome hot streak.

Thanks man.. I guess people like us need to hear that. There's always gonna be that annoying Wormhorn voice telling you all these negative things that aren't true (and then probably being like BYYYEEEEEEEEEEEE), it's just a matter of learning to consistently be like "Oh shut up Wormhorn, you always say stuff like that." Makes me very happy to hear that you enjoyed the output though, so thanks very much for that!

I was really gutted when they cancelled Season 4 of GLOW on Netflix - I've never really dabbled too much with the actual wrestling show that GLOW is inspired by outside of watching a documentary about it..... It's funny really because womens wrestling has really taken off in a huge way in the last few years, so a show like that might have done better in the current climate.

Same. I really enjoyed that show, and before seeing that on Netflix I had no idea it existed- once I knew of it though, I was fascinated. Also Marc Maron's character's daughter is the voice of Tifa in the FFVII remake, how cool is that?

I'm more than a little convinced that Parapper is actually Poochie...... But when he was a child (puppy I guess) .... Would certainly make a few things make a bit more sense.

What a fall, man.. he was so positive and hopeful in his youth, always talkin about how you "gotta believe," then he grew up to have this... attitude, and always bein in people's faces. A damn shame.

If you ever play Blood Money, then you'll see the level that heavily inspired Whittleton Creek (another one I really like)  and also I believe one of the Sniper missions The Last Yardbird, heavily reminded me of the wedding level in Mississippi - that's another great level in that game.

One of the first thoughts I had playing The Last Yardbird was that it looked like it would've been such a cool level to be able to run around in. I was more than consoled by the fact that I could shoot people in the head and watch their bodies fly completely out of view, while people standing right next to them remained none the wiser.

Don't be..... I chose to read them after all, so it isn't like you didn't give a spoiler warning so I'm perfectly cool with it.

..... which leads me to this....

I know exactly what you mean - that's why I was a little anxious to hear your thoughts on Dex as well....

Whilst I can't speak for Doc.... I'm fairly sure that I would have had some of the same issues that you did with how Rachel Foster handles some of its plot, knowing what I know now about it.  I could probably see past it, but it definitely wouldn't be something I could ignore. I will play it at some point though - so we'll have to see how I actually end up reacting to it. 

That's a good point, and thank you for pointing that out, but upon re-reading I kind of cringed over how many spoilers I blurted out. That's something I never do, and I know you're the same way. Oh well, what can you do?

Whenever you do get around to it, I'd be very curious to see what you think!

Edited by YaManSmevz
Because I'm indecisive
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

That's a good point, and thank you for pointing that out, but upon re-reading I kind of cringed over how many spoilers I blurted out. That's something I never do, and I know you're the same way. Oh well, what can you do?

Funny you should say that - that one was one of the few I did stop reading at the ‘warning point’ ?

I’m not particularly sensitive to spoilers in most games (a lot of the time, I find I can enjoy a game more if it’s been spoiled, weirdly!)… but walking Sims pretty much live and die on the narratives, and since I have that one ready to start soonish, I did try to steer clear of them there!

6 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

One of the first thoughts I had playing The Last Yardbird was that it looked like it would've been such a cool level to be able to run around in. I was more than consoled by the fact that I could shoot people in the head and watch their bodies fly completely out of view, while people standing right next to them remained none the wiser.

That Last Yardbird one made me feel the same - I love the sniper levels, but would be cool to run around in them too!

Don’t know if you played the “Patient Zero” campaign in the first game, but they actually did a sniper mission in that - of the Colorado map - and it totally proved the viability of having a level work as both a Sniper level, and a standard level!

Of course, the true curse of Hitman, is that for every level, you end up thinking of 3 that you’d like to see… I still live in hope that, someday, we’ll see an “airport” map… think about it - the shops, the hangers, the baggage areas, security… Just think what 47 could do as a TSA security guard… I shudder to think what a ‘body cavity search’ would end up being in his hands…?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Funny you should say that - that one was one of the few I did stop reading at the ‘warning point’ 1f602.png

I’m not particularly sensitive to spoilers in most games (a lot of the time, I find I can enjoy a game more if it’s been spoiled, weirdly!)… but walking Sims pretty much live and die on the narratives, and since I have that one ready to start soonish, I did try to steer clear of them there!

Whew! Okay, good.. I'm glad to hear the warnings were sufficient, I would feel terrible about just ruining it for everybody!

That Last Yardbird one made me feel the same - I love the sniper levels, but would be cool to run around in them too!

Don’t know if you played the “Patient Zero” campaign in the first game, but they actually did a sniper mission in that - of the Colorado map - and it totally proved the viability of having a level work as both a Sniper level, and a standard level!

Y'know, I started the Patient Zero campaign but ended up more engrossed in the main story and forgot about it... I think I'll be remedying that with 3. I'm still flabbergasted at how much content 3 has, incidentally!

Of course, the true curse of Hitman, is that for every level, you end up thinking of 3 that you’d like to see… I still live in hope that, someday, we’ll see an “airport” map… think about it - the shops, the hangers, the baggage areas, security… Just think what 47 could do as a TSA security guard… I shudder to think what a ‘body cavity search’ would end up being in his hands…1f602.png

Funny story - the last time my wife and I traveled, I saw this weird looking bald dude walking between offices. I was in the midst of finishing HM 2016 and my first impulse was to yell out something like "somebody's doing something!!" then grab my wife and get the hell out of there?

I'd fuck with an airport level mad heavy! Word is there's a DLC in the works, so you never know...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Y'know, I started the Patient Zero campaign but ended up more engrossed in the main story and forgot about it... I think I'll be remedying that with 3. I'm still flabbergasted at how much content 3 has, incidentally!

The Patient Zero campaign is actually really good, but playing that last level now.... during pandemic times.....hits a little bit too close to home lol! ?

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 10:08 PM, YaManSmevz said:

xcept Beast. Sorry Beauty doesn't like you bro... maybe it's cuz you're a little bitch, ever think of that??

I never thought I'd end up with more than one Telltale game in the collection, but I'm really glad I got this one. I'm starting to second guess my reluctance to play The Walking Dead.. and also have I heard correctly that The Wolf Among Us 2 is in the works?? Count me in?

Hahah not a fan of ol' Beasty eh?

Play TWD man, you won't regret it (unless you don't like games with zombies in and people dying all the time, in which case you'll totally regret it)

Sold that one didn't I lol

Looking forward to TWAU 2 too!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Hahah not a fan of ol' Beasty eh?

Haha I hadn't thought about it since I'd played it, but I remember Clarkie mentioning it in his thread and I was like "ooh yeeaah, that's right... yeah, fuck that guy!"

Nothing like the dude bein like "Where's my chick? You seen my chick?? TELL ME IF YOU SEE HER, OKAY??" and the girl bein like "yeah could you not tell him, please?" to make you think "wow, this is super healthy..."

18 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Play TWD man, you won't regret it (unless you don't like games with zombies in and people dying all the time, in which case you'll totally regret it)

Sold that one didn't I lol

Looking forward to TWAU 2 too!

Wait... Zombies? People dying??

That's hardly the image I have for The Walking Dead!!

*storms out*

Seriously though, you're probably right.

To the PS Store!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Haha I hadn't thought about it since I'd played it, but I remember Clarkie mentioning it in his thread and I was like "ooh yeeaah, that's right... yeah, fuck that guy!"

Nothing like the dude bein like "Where's my chick? You seen my chick?? TELL ME IF YOU SEE HER, OKAY??" and the girl bein like "yeah could you not tell him, please?" to make you think "wow, this is super healthy..."

Haha yes indeed, not the healthiest relationship in the world. It was an interesting interpretation of all those characters though, and I believe you said that you hadn't heard of Fables the comic before? I hadn't either tbh, thought it was just an original idea they'd come up with.

5 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Wait... Zombies? People dying??

That's hardly the image I have for The Walking Dead!!

*storms out*

Seriously though, you're probably right.

To the PS Store!!

I know right?! 

I went into TWD thinking it was going to be about rainbows, bunnies and daffodils so imagine my surprise! lol

Whenever there is a great deal, get them. You'll enjoy them. (2 and 3 were free with PS Plus I think btw)

• Like 2

Platinum #45: Grim Fandango

Todo llevamos dentro un muerto que acompaña/Que aparece cuando la noche llega y el sol se apaga

1-thumb.jpg

That was a real treat to read.... Thank you for that!

Reading that you loved this game made me so happy!

Especially how much you liked Glottis. Glottis made me quite literally laugh out loud so many times throughout the times I've played this game. The bit near the end with the whole "MANNNY.......... I'M FRIGHTENED" never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Curse of Monkey Island was the first time I ever heard of Grim Fandango, when I was younger.

A skeleton (although it's actually Manny,)   appears in that game sat at a table wearing a badge saying "Ask me about Grim Fandango" I thought that was such a cool little thing to pique someone's interest in another game. 

full23.gif

I love that you love this game....... If you want a more modern Tim Schafer point-and-click game at some point in the future, check out Broken Age, it's really good too, and check out the documentary about it, after you've played it. He put a whole lot of love into that game. It does have some really obtuse puzzles in it though, and a speedrun trophy for completing the game in an hour. Aside from that though - I absolutely love that one.

Your guess is as good as mine, as far as why they felt the need to have tank controls through the whole game for a trophy though.

I'm not decrying challenge, but rather how out of place, overly opaque, and genuinely unrewarding it is here.

Spare a thought for those of us who played these sorts of games before we had access to the internet - I'm surprised I don't have nightmares about that damn evil goat from Broken Sword to this day :lol:

Although saying that, all of those weird and opaque puzzle solutions are something hat I usually tend to really like, as modern point-and-click games do have a habit of really oversimplifying things more than I think they need to sometimes.

I'm really happy that even almost twenty-five years later people can still have a wonderful time with a game like this!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #45: Grim Fandango

Todo llevamos dentro un muerto que acompaña/Que aparece cuando la noche llega y el sol se apaga

1-thumb.jpg

Nice!

Glad you enjoyed Grim Fandango - that's a game I hold in very high regard, but being a white kid from Scotland, I'd really have no idea if it was culturally iffy - it's nice to know it isn't, even this many years later, when the spinning blades of the "problematic-seeking-juggernaut" are so much sharper and more deadly!

There's something I'd be genuinely interesting in asking you now, as a new player who has only just finished the game, and didn't have the legacy nostalgia as baggage, actually, (and it's something where I suspect I am something of a heretic, as far as fans of the original goes...)

...you mentioned the two main issues with the game:

As far as flaws go, the graphics are very much of their era. They scream that garish blocky look with tacky colors that 90s games are now famous for, and then when you throw in the tank controls (necessary for a trophy), it's very much a trip to 1998.

The early 3D graphics, and the tank controls. I, agree, those are the two biggest hinderances to the game nowadays - I think most people would agree... why they added that trophy I'll never know, but tip-top trolling Tim Schafer:awesome:) - however, I would actually go a little further, and would say I thought they were a hinderance even back then

While I agree that:

The story is so charming that it's hard to care what it looks like. 

I do wonder...

...do you reckon if Grim Fandango had exactly the same story / puzzles / writing/ gameplay... i.e. was exactly the same game, but was not 3D - if it was pixel-art, like Day of the Tentacle, with a more traditional click-to-walk-to and interact interface do you think it would be better? 

The thing is... as much as I love it, I kind of do. I actually think Day of the Tentacle has aged a lot better than Grim (or Full Throttle, for that matter) has, despite being older, simply because that style is perennial, whereas the early 3D Grim had, or the weird faux-3D parts of Full Throttle - which might have seemed more impressive at the time, actually makes them less approachable now?

I kind of feel like Grim, as compared to Date of the Tentacle, has the same issue Final Fantasy VII does, as compared to Final Fantasy VI...

...VII was mad impressive at the time of release because it was using the latest tech, but because it was an early adoption of it, the visuals had a shelf-life of five minutes. Now, it survives on the strength of the other aspects - in spite of its visuals, rather than as a result of them, if that makes sense?

Just interested whether a new player feels the same!

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

On 1/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, rjkclarke said:

Especially how much you liked Glottis. Glottis made me quite literally laugh out loud so many times throughout the times I've played this game. The bit near the end with the whole "MANNNY.......... I'M FRIGHTENED" never fails to bring a smile to my face.

MAAAANNYYY YOOOUUU PROOOMIISED!!

I love that you love this game....... If you want a more modern Tim Schafer point-and-click game at some point in the future, check out Broken Age, it's really good too, and check out the documentary about it, after you've played it. He put a whole lot of love into that game. It does have some really obtuse puzzles in it though, and a speedrun trophy for completing the game in an hour. Aside from that though - I absolutely love that one.

Hmm... *takes note

Spare a thought for those of us who played these sorts of games before we had access to the internet - I'm surprised I don't have nightmares about that damn evil goat from Broken Sword to this day :lol:

Although saying that, all of those weird and opaque puzzle solutions are something hat I usually tend to really like, as modern point-and-click games do have a habit of really oversimplifying things more than I think they need to sometimes.

I could only imagine! There were so many moments where I know if I had played back then, I would've been stuck on for quite a while.

That's not at all to say that I wouldn't prefer this over something with a difficulty easy enough to feel insulting, of course. I wish I could explain the sentiment better, it could well just be me but there were some things that felt excessive rather than difficult - like I shudder to think how long I would've been trying to figure out where that sign was supposed to go!

On 1/17/2022 at 0:45 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

There's something I'd be genuinely interesting in asking you now, as a new player who has only just finished the game, and didn't have the legacy nostalgia as baggage, actually, (and it's something where I suspect I am something of a heretic, as far as fans of the original goes...)

...you mentioned the two main issues with the game:

The early 3D graphics, and the tank controls. I, agree, those are the two biggest hinderances to the game nowadays - I think most people would agree... why they added that trophy I'll never know, but tip-top trolling Tim Schafer:awesome:) - however, I would actually go a little further, and would say I thought they were a hinderance even back then

Hmm! I can't disagree with that sentiment, tank controls have always been kinda weird. I remember it taking a bit for me to get the hang of the controls in the OG Resident Evil games, and it certainly wasn't because tank controls felt ahead of their time or anything like that?

I do wonder...

...do you reckon if Grim Fandango had exactly the same story / puzzles / writing/ gameplay... i.e. was exactly the same game, but was not 3D - if it was pixel-art, like Day of the Tentacle, with a more traditional click-to-walk-to and interact interface do you think it would be better? 

The thing is... as much as I love it, I kind of do. I actually think Day of the Tentacle has aged a lot better than Grim (or Full Throttle, for that matter) has, despite being older, simply because that style is perennial, whereas the early 3D Grim had, or the weird faux-3D parts of Full Throttle - which might have seemed more impressive at the time, actually makes them less approachable now?

I do think it would've been better off with a more simple art style, but I did get a fair bit of nostalgia from its 90s computer game look, in spite of not having played it before! It really took me back to the mid to late 90s, but objectively speaking? I think GF definitely would've maintained that much more charm with pixel art.

I kind of feel like Grim, as compared to Date of the Tentacle, has the same issue Final Fantasy VII does, as compared to Final Fantasy VI...

...VII was mad impressive at the time of release because it was using the latest tech, but because it was an early adoption of it, the visuals had a shelf-life of five minutes. Now, it survives on the strength of the other aspects - in spite of its visuals, rather than as a result of them, if that makes sense?

Yes, this makes perfect sense, and is a great observation! VI was 16-bit at the peak of its powers, so it was unquestionably better at mastering its look than VII was.

I remember reading about how the 80s and 90s had such loud colors and tacky designs because there was such a boom in the technology for printers and stuff like that, and designers were drunk on these new looks that they were suddenly capable of harnessing.. which then proceeded to be dated with the quickness! I wonder if it's just a natural thing for creators to concern themselves with being the first to come out utilizing the new tech as opposed to the best.

How I wish I could see the look of FFVII through the eyes of someone who hadn't been there - would they be like "How cool, this is what games looked like then" or "Get the fuck out of here with your goofy ass blocks..."

• Like 3

Funny you just wrote a review on Grim Fandango, I just finished DrBloodMoney's review on a similar game, Flipping Death! ?
It's always fantastic to play a game where you've lived with the culture the game presents. I mean, I bloody loved Dingodile's Aussie antics in Crash 4!

I've looked at the gameplay and I can see what you mean with the dated graphics, being from 1998 and all. At the same time though, it does give it that nostalgic charm; I actually played some point and click games when I was really young on the family computer, man these types of game just have that 'charm' to them. I best describe it as something that can be played at your own pace. With point and click games, you decide how fast to go, where to go, and when to do things. I suppose this is true for ANY game where you have control, but it feels different; with other games, usually you have linear levels to traverse with a clear goal. I suppose then that perhaps an open-world game would fit this category, I mean you can technically do things at your own pace there, but point and click games are like the middle-ground of these two things; they're linear, and there isn't always a clear goal. Because of this, I always felt like you can just appreciate each room and environment a lot more. Ironically enough, with open world games, there's SO much to see that sometimes it's hard to appreciate details unless you really look hard. I will say though, Fallout has managed to grasp me in an open-world setting due to some incredible lore... but I digress! ?
May I also suggest the Pixar film Coco, a story about the Day of the Dead, it seems to have taken a lot of inspiration that this game did, you might like it a lot!

And also I'm really late to this, but Australia also has Coco Pops. ?

• Like 2