Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

On 5/1/2024 at 6:14 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Little Nightmares. What a cool fucking game. I love how well it captures the vibe of a child's nightmare, they seriously nailed it. The floating quality the screen gets at times, the Brothers Quay-esque villains running around, and the incredible tension - I really did yelp like a little girl more than once while making a narrow escape in this thing!

Dude!

Same same!

I don’t know what it is - I’ve played scarier games, read a tonne of gross novels, watched the most f-ed horror movies committed to film…

…but for some reason, every time one of those piano-teacher’s necks extended unnaturally, it makes the bass drop in my stomach!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StraightVege said:

Indeed. I also appreciated many aspects of the first Little Nightmares, but my gameplay frustrations with the controls, camera angles, and finicky item interactions really soured the overall experience for me, unfortunately. As a result, earning the "Hard to the Core" trophy was more irritating than it needed to be.

Yeah, I feel that for sure... there were plenty of annoying moments just during regular gameplay, so I've been seriously dreading Hard to the Core. Can't get any completions dragging our feets tho!

The outstanding sequel, on the other hand, is one of the best horror games I've ever playedthat hospital level is amazing, seriously. If you're loving the original, then you're in for a real treat with the follow-up, my friend!

Word! I'm taking my time with the sequel, it's seriously fantastic. I only just finished the school, which was so fucking cool, I absolutely loved it. The controls are cleaned up so nicely and little features like not having to carry keys are SUPER appreciated! Telling myself to knock out Hard to the Core before going any further, but.. it's so good!

I do wonder if the upcoming third game will reach the same heights, considering that it's being developed by a different studio.

Oh fuck, I didn't know that. Fingers crossed on that one...

Hope this month goes well for you; have fun!

Thanks a lot, homie😎👊

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don’t know what it is - I’ve played scarier games, read a tonne of gross novels, watched the most f-ed horror movies committed to film…

…but for some reason, every time one of those piano-teacher’s necks extended unnaturally, it makes the bass drop in my stomach!

Hahaha dude my sentiments exactly! It just captures that tension so well, like it taps into a primal part of our brains or something. You really do feel like a lost little kid, and you're just trying to jump from suitcase to suitcase wh- oh fuck, it's coming after me FUCK IT'S GONNA GET ME AAAAHHHHHH

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

Oh fuck, I didn't know that. Fingers crossed on that one...

Yep, Supermassive Games is taking the reins this time around, and while I was quite fond of Until Dawn, I'm not sure if they're the right fit for a series like Little Nightmares. It remains to be seen, but I really hope they surpass expectations, of course.

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

like it taps into a primal part of our brains or something. You really do feel like a lost little kid, and you're just trying to jump from suitcase to suitcase wh- oh fuck, it's coming after me FUCK IT'S GONNA GET ME AAAAHHHHHH

Haha, that feeling of being pursued by a ghastly aberration and having it breathing down your neck is just so uncomfortable, in a good way. As a child, I occasionally had bad dreams of being chased by indiscernible creatures, and I guess LN evokes those same sensations of an encroachment on my personal space pretty well. At this point, I'm rather desensitized to horror games, so if they can even provoke a little anxiety and unease, they've succeeded better than most.

It's hard to believe I used to find that goofball Scissorman from Clocktower intimidating back in the day; the menagerie of abominations to be eluded in these games are on an entirely different level, which I couldn't have imagined at the time. Sure, the "stalker" type enemies in titles like Outlast and Alien Isolation might be more unpredictable sometimes, but the precisely crafted chase sections in LN are far more effective on me. Maybe the magic is lost after you get caught one or twice, but those first encounters are always thrilling nonetheless.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, StraightVege said:

It's hard to believe I used to find that goofball Scissorman from Clocktower intimidating back in the day;

Aaahhh fuckin Clock Tower!!

What a corny ass game, yet I remember it with such an obscene fondness, to the point where someone else knowing it exists makes my day😂

That fuckin part where Scissorman faxes you... so fucking dumb, and yet it sent a chill down 13 year old me's spine. I knew full well how stupid it was, and yet.. it just hit different somehow, I have no idea🤣

42 minutes ago, StraightVege said:

Sure, the "stalker" type enemies in titles like Outlast and Alien Isolation might be more unpredictable sometimes, but the precisely crafted chase sections in LN are far more effective on me. Maybe the magic is lost after you get caught one or twice, but those first encounters are always thrilling nonetheless.

Well put. Speaking of which, Isolation is another one I've been putting off for sometime, I don't know why...

f240f9ff-2526-4981-98db-61ea021ea4df_tex

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

That fuckin part where Scissorman faxes you... so fucking dumb, and yet it sent a chill down 13 year old me's spine. I knew full well how stupid it was, and yet.. it just hit different somehow, I have no idea🤣

Wow, I remember that nonsense like it was yesterday! It gets even sillier, though, because this infamous and terrifying serial killer is easily defeated by... lightly tossing a sheet over him.

What a nerd! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Well put. Speaking of which, Isolation is another one I've been putting off for sometime, I don't know why...

Isolation is a game I love, but hesitate to recommend. It's loooooong dude, like, really long. The first Alien is my favourite film of all time (with Back to the Future second, so nice gif! haha) so Isolation is like a dream come true for me. But I know people that bounced off of Isolation hard due to its length and them being bigger fans of Aliens over Alien (which is like, blasphemy to me) so yeah, proceed with caution! 

But if you vibe with it, then its a great time, and scary as fuck!

1 hour ago, Platinum_Vice said:

I've only ever heard of Clocktower and I understand it to be a classic that any survival horror fan should play, so thanks for this heads up cause I will definitely nab these when they hit PS5.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Whaaaaaat???

I'm so intrigued... and feeling a slight fear that it will not have that unique charm I remember it having.

But that means that it's still scaring me all these years later, so hooray!

9 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Isolation is a game I love, but hesitate to recommend. It's loooooong dude, like, really long. The first Alien is my favourite film of all time (with Back to the Future second, so nice gif! haha) so Isolation is like a dream come true for me. But I know people that bounced off of Isolation hard due to its length and them being bigger fans of Aliens over Alien (which is like, blasphemy to me) so yeah, proceed with caution! 

I'm staunchly in the Alien camp too, in fact a friend of mine and I somehow still have this Alien vs Aliens argument every once in a while. So the idea of basically living out that experience via video game sounds fantastic to me!

9 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I've only ever heard of Clocktower and I understand it to be a classic that any survival horror fan should play, so thanks for this heads up cause I will definitely nab these when they hit PS5.

It is, though I do worry it's a "Had to be there" type game. Very much of its time! Of course, that won't stop me from coppin it once I have a PS5😂

• Like 3

18 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

You mean even after you heard my tales of the Sevastopol during the winter backlog challenge of 2021, you still haven't played it yet?!?! 😱 Outrageous!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

You mean even after you heard my tales of the Sevastopol during the winter backlog challenge of 2021, you still haven't played it yet?!?! 😱 Outrageous!

Ah, the Alien OG! As a matter of fact yes, that is the precise reason for both me buying it and approaching it with such trepidation🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Ah, the Alien OG! As a matter of fact yes, that is the precise reason for both me buying it and approaching it with such trepidation🤣

I mean, even though I spent most of my playthrough extremely tense, it is one of my favourite games I've played in recent years. But of course it has to be played in the dark, and with headphones for maximum stress value 😜

• Like 2

Yeah, I platinum'd Alien: Isolation on my original American account, and it was really great. I agree with what was said about its length; it is almost unacceptably long. It makes up for it with its tension and atmosphere, though. I'll certainly go for it again down the line.

On the topic of Alien itself, I personally believe the original movie is the best one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CelestialRequiem said:

On the topic of Alien itself, I personally believe the original movie is the best one.

Yes, it IS the best one. I even like Alien 3 more than Aliens. Don't get me wrong, Aliens is a good film, but it's a good action film, NOT a good Alien film. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Yes, it IS the best one. I even like Alien 3 more than Aliens. Don't get me wrong, Aliens is a good film, but it's a good action film, NOT a good Alien film. 

I’m with you m’dude - In fact, I go further, I think of the original four movies, Aliens is actually the weakest - it’s very well made, but just doesn’t have the juice that the others ones do

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m with you m’dude - In fact, I go further, I think of the original four movies, Aliens is actually the weakest - it’s very well made, but just doesn’t have the juice that the others ones do

Ooh I don't know about that... I really don't like the fourth one at all haha. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...