Exponential Growth of Easy & Fast Plats

Unknown_v2_0

Stacking plats is really not impressive, anyone can boot up a horrible ten minutes game and achieve that. I really wish most of these games didn't even have trophy sets or just bronze ones. I think of trophies in general as a memory keeper for what you achieved in games, looking back at your set after a few years feels really good. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

So this guy is NOW rank #48 on the leaderboards.

In the end, all that effort to reach the top of the leaderboards just wasn't worth the goddamn time...

This man was top 5 if I remember correctly. by comparison, there is another website with a rarity/difficulty leaderboard, and one of the guys stopped hunting almost a decade ago, but remains in the top 10 to this day

On 2/12/2022 at 11:33 PM, AJ_Radio said:

In the end, all that effort to reach the top of the leaderboards just wasn't worth the goddamn time...

He will go down faster over time as more easy games come into existence.

The top 3 has been changing quite a bit this past month. Presumably because each person seems to be secretly hoarding a ton of easy plats and having a binge weekend and getting about 50 platinums in a short space of time.

According to Ikemenzi's stats, last month he earned 6793 trophies, just in that month alone. That's about 225 trophies a day. He was quite far behind, almost at no4 and then suddenly 500,000 points came out of nowhere and VERY far ahead at no1 now.

Presumably these guys are "late syncing" is what I will call it.

Playing a ton of games legit on an offline console for a period of time, giving their opponents a false sense of lead which causes them to slow down (aka play actual games) thinking they have a comfortable lead.

And then one day when the timing is right, a rival just syncs their console and then BOOM, 50 platinums, back in the lead. Sneak attack!

If that kind of behaviour continues, eventually we might not even know who is in the lead, what with all this syncing fragmentation.

Edited by enaysoft

13 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

The top 3 has been changing quite a bit this past month. Presumably because each person seems to be secretly hoarding a ton of easy plats and having a binge weekend and getting about 50 platinums in a short space of time.

According to Ikemenzi's stats, last month he earned 6793 trophies, just in that month alone. That's about 225 trophies a day. He was quite far behind, almost at no4 and then suddenly 500,000 points came out of nowhere and VERY far ahead at no1 now.

Playing a ton of games legit on an offline console for a period of time, giving their opponents a false sense of lead which causes them to slow down (aka play actual games) thinking they have a comfortable lead.

And then one day when the timing is right, a rival just syncs their console and then BOOM, 50 platinums, back in the lead. Sneak attack!

If that kind of behaviour continues, eventually we might not even know who is in the lead, what with all this syncing fragmentation.

In Ikemenzi's case, the late syncing issue wasn't really his fault.  He has just played too many games for the site to handle and every so often profile updating just breaks for him - I only really know about it because I saw a couple of the previous threads in site issues section of the forum, most recent one here and I believe it's only been fixed in the past couple of days:

19 hours ago, ff4eternity said:

Stacking plats is really not impressive, anyone can boot up a horrible ten minutes game and achieve that. I really wish most of these games didn't even have trophy sets or just bronze ones. I think of trophies in general as a memory keeper for what you achieved in games, looking back at your set after a few years feels really good. 

I see you just finished Metal Gear Solid 2, which I'll be playing pretty soon. But yeah, stacking has gotten pretty bad.

32 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I stopped caring a couple years ago honestly. Now I just gradually chip away at my backlog, I'm down to around 50 games but it'll be a long time before I finish all of them, if that will even be possible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 11:33 PM, AJ_Radio said:

As of today no 52

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 6:33 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Well.

You might be playing with the stated goal of working up the leaderboards, ostensibly you're more likely playing your games for fun. If you're having fun, then working your way up the leaderboard as a result is gravy. Even if you can't compete with the top 50 some-odd people due to not participating with easy multi-plat games, there is still movement in your scoring. Both goals have been covered.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 0:42 PM, Jelly Soup said:

Well.

You might be playing with the stated goal of working up the leaderboards, ostensibly you're more likely playing your games for fun. If you're having fun, then working your way up the leaderboard as a result is gravy. Even if you can't compete with the top 50 some-odd people due to not participating with easy multi-plat games, there is still movement in your scoring. Both goals have been covered.

I did have that goal in mind back when I started several years ago. Nowadays in order to even climb the leaderboards at all you have to play absolute crap. Your typical EZPZ shovelware game that originated on Steam, made its way to PlayStation, and was developed by some hack who crapped it out of his garbage over the weekend.

Quality >>>> Quantity

I have my fair share of crap. Those Sound Shapes stacks and some of those boring walking simulators look rather ugly on my profile now. Orc Slayer and Energy Cycle were two trash games best left in the past. Terminator Salvation was trash too, and that was considered a 'trophy whore' game back in the old days of trophy hunting.

Things like First Achievers and Fastest Achievers mean more to me now. I'm still the #1 fastest in Wolfenstein 3D, some other games I'm within the top 10 - 20 in the fastest achievers across thousands of 100% achievers and tens of thousands of game owners.

Today I'm just more concerned with playing the games I want to play, and having fun while I hunt for all the trophies.

• Like 4

On 3/13/2022 at 11:12 AM, Nelson_ said:

Just Shovelware selling trophies that are not even games.

Me supporting lazy people who do not want to work? nope not happening.

I want to toss about again that this doesn't apply to all or even the majority of the quick plat games. Most are legitimate games, and good ones, that had easy trophy lists added by the publisher to push sales. The difference is worth pointing out to so as to not paint will meaning creators with the same brush as people with less scruples.

On 3/15/2022 at 5:57 AM, Jelly Soup said:

I want to toss about again that this doesn't apply to all or even the majority of the quick plat games. Most are legitimate games, and good ones, that had easy trophy lists added by the publisher to push sales. The difference is worth pointing out to so as to not paint will meaning creators with the same brush as people with less scruples.

Sorry but i can't agree there, we got enough Zippy, Break, Breakthrough, Summer ice, Chickens, Pigs, Sheeps, Cows and many many others i lost count off being released almost daily. Shovelware been growing at a fast pace since around middle of 2021. Yes doesn't apply to all but majority of the quick plats are Shovelware by now.

Edited by Nelson_

unfortunately, Sony's hands are tied behind their back on this, if they start removing games or denying games from the Store, people would start to attack them, Sony are in the spotlight now when they are on top, everybody is looking for a reason to hate on them or to cheer their fall, look at the many "Sony hates indies" articles that come back every few months even tho the PS4 was literally attack by people for how much it supported indie games, calling it the "indiestation", if they started to deny some of those games, that's what you would see, articles saying Sony hates indies

if I was in charge, I would do a purge of the PSNStore games and set new high QA standards, but that would be bad PR, and companies can't afford bad PR over a niche thing like trash games selling 1-2k copies for pp that buy their way in trophy hunting

On 3/14/2022 at 9:57 PM, Jelly Soup said:

Sony is no different than Steam now. Steam is practically a graveyard of useless shovelware games. Granted, a lot of them will probably never make it to Sony consoles, but it's quite the change from the PS3 era when quality control was far more strict.

There's a lot of good point and click games, Metroidvanias like Axiom Verge 2, visual novels, etc that are basically swept under the rug. Granted, most of the player base for these games is on Steam. Believe me, I checked. Trine 2: Complete Story, a game I just finished, has a far bigger playerbase on the Steam platform than on the PS4.

Good stuff like Rogue Legacy 2, which will probably never see a Sony release, deserves some recognition. Instead, shovelware games that hack developers made in a quick weekend purely to sell money are far more popular in this community. It's been a problem since 2018 - 2019, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

• Like 1

Edit: You know what, no. These constant threads about the same damn thing are getting cyclical as hell and are always the same damn people complaining the same damn things in the same damn way. I'm out.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ. I assume you posted your response to me in a sort of angry tone @Jelly Soup because you basically edited the damn thing hours before I even got a chance to read it.

You know what you were getting when you saw this thread. Did I trigger you? Because if I did then I'm sorry. I'm not going to reconstruct my post if someone takes a little offense because frankly I'm sick and tired of people in this damn community getting angry at me over something as trivial as trophies... for a hobby that we've invested decades into.

Whatever. Sorry for wasting your time.

8 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Jesus Christ. I assume you posted your response to me in a sort of angry tone @Jelly Soup because you basically edited the damn thing hours before I even got a chance to read it.

You know what you were getting when you saw this thread. Did I trigger you? Because if I did then I'm sorry. I'm not going to reconstruct my post if someone takes a little offense because frankly I'm sick and tired of people in this damn community getting angry at me over something as trivial as trophies... for a hobby that we've invested decades into.

Whatever. Sorry for wasting your time.

Wasn't angry at all. I typed out whatever it was, left the computer, came back and saw I left something important out, clicked edit and suddenly realized how ridiculous it is to rehash this same argument with the same people again and again and again and.........so I decided on the spot to extradite myself.

It's strange. I don't really care about people platting easy games on the one hand. If people want to spend their dollars (literally) on plats, whatever. I may judge them, but I do so silently for the most part.

But on the other hand, I've really cut back on my eazy peazies over time. I've defended Rat games before, and I still contend they have some pretty good games. But I don't bother with them nearly as much anymore. In fact, seeing a plat percentage of 80+% is usually a turn off (and it would be even lower, except that Kemco RPGs tend to have relatively high plat percentages, but I like them). That's a shame, too - games like Metagal are pretty good, and not at all easy...but their plats are terribly boring (though I think the sequel is tougher).

Edited by starcrunch061

19 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

It's strange. I don't really care about people platting easy games on the one hand. If people want to spend their dollars (literally) on plats, whatever. I may judge them, but I do so silently for the most part.

But on the other hand, I've really cut back on my eazy peazies over time. I've defended Rat games before, and I still contend they have some pretty good games. But I don't bother with them nearly as much anymore. In fact, seeing a plat percentage of 80+% is usually a turn off (and it would be even lower, except that Kemco RPGs tend to have relatively high plat percentages, but I like them). That's a shame, too - games like Metagal are pretty good, and not at all easy...but their plats are terribly boring (though I think the sequel is tougher).

The problem is they're infesting the store to the point where actual good games that get a decent trophy list are basically skipped over unless you know specifically what you're looking for.

It's just another Steam platform now. Lots of good games, but an absolutely horrible amount of utter garbage. In fact I blame Steam itself for making shovelware popular to begin with.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The problem is they're infesting the store to the point where actual good games that get a decent trophy list are basically skipped over unless you know specifically what you're looking for.

It's just another Steam platform now. Lots of good games, but an absolutely horrible amount of utter garbage. In fact I blame Steam itself for making shovelware popular to begin with.

These people making shovelware need to get a dam life already

On 23/03/2022 at 1:23 PM, starcrunch061 said:

See there's a very important part in your post that most people will over look - 

"I've defended Rat games before, and I still contend they have some pretty good games." 

Rata does have some very good games under their publication branch and people need to remember that these games are independently developed but published by Rata. I'm not going to sit here and defend cash grab easy shovelware games but there's some decent hidden gems in the mountainous piles of shit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing is that those 100 yen shovelware games that went into JP Store weeks ago now cost 165 yen cause it's selling well, congratulations on the people who supported the garbage while living in denial and Sony laughing at it.

8aqgwXj.jpg

• Like 2