Theory for unlocking the level 99 trophies

Vern3r0z

So d2 resurrected has the feature to import save files from the original d2: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/diablo-2-saves-cross-progression-import-old-character-8017

This got me thinking. Theres this program/mod called hero editor for the original diablo 2 that lets you fiddle around with single player characters ( give them levels, items etc.). If anyone here has a copy of the original game you could try to make a character with the program that is like 1xp away from level 99, then import that save to resurrected on pc and then access that save through cross progression on the ps4/ps5. Then just kill couple of enemies on hell and you should get to level 99. I wonder if this would work, but i don't have the game on pc so cant test it. Or is this considered cheating or what ever?

I don't believe this will work because a D2: LoD character imported to D2R will be an offline character and cross progression only works for online battle.net characters. So you could theoretically only get as far as getting the hero edited character to the PC version of D2R. Unless something changes, I don't think you could then get it to console.

Edited by Vextens

Yeah, I don't see anyone gettin' the 99 level Hardcore one on console EVER: 4500 Baal runs where one misstake will make you have wasted 400+ hours. No thanks. No idea why they added a trophy like that. There were so many cool things they could have made with the trophies for the game and still make it really hard and grindy.  

Edited by Sturmhauser
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Its appauling i know, its Cuz they know how hard core fans of the original game sank years of their lives into the game , streamers will often almost boast about how they have over 50,000 hours in the game, so they probably figured why not make them suffer even more, atleast its not tied to the ladder system

im going for it, solo online mode, figured maybe i could find something worth trading  with someone along my journey, or i can just share stash it for another attempt, you gotta go extremely slow, im prepared for a long haul, the longest ever for any game or trophy, i will literally have to tip toe my way through this entire process, for me, theres no playing softcore until i finish the hardcore 99 trophy, which could quite possibly take…years, given my work schedule and real life issues that take priority over video games

Yeah I hear you man, was trying to do something like that too, got a skelemancer going for what you intended then looked at some of the hardcore fans math on gettin' to 99 without the "3 players" console command and the max xp from Baal, and it's an astronomical ammount of Baal runs

Edited by Sturmhauser

5 hours ago, Sturmhauser said:

Yeah I hear you man, was trying to do something like that too, got a skelemancer going for what you intended then looked at some of the hardcore fans math on gettin' to 99 without the "3 players" console command and the max xp from Baal, and it's an astronomical ammount of Baal runs

4500 baal runs is also factoring in end game gear with a 10% extra bonus xp gained anni small charm in your inventory which right now is unrealistic, now factor in that its hardcore and those things are way harder to get, fml

Im also going the summon necro route myself

currently level 27, doin chaos sanctuary runs, maxed out raise skeletons so far

But diablo just completely melts my summons in a blink of an eye still, just gona keep at it though, keep leveling in the sanctuary until they are strong enough to take him out but yes the pacing is unbearably slow, im already on like my 10th attempt cuz i kept trying to rush act 2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

4500 baal runs is also factoring in end game gear with a 10% extra bonus xp gained anni small charm in your inventory which right now is unrealistic, now factor in that its hardcore and those things are way harder to get, fml

Im also going the summon necro route myself

currently level 27, doin chaos sanctuary runs, maxed out raise skeletons so far

But diablo just completely melts my summons in a blink of an eye still, just gona keep at it though, keep leveling in the sanctuary until they are strong enough to take him out but yes the pacing is unbearably slow, im already on like my 10th attempt cuz i kept trying to rush act 2

Hey man. Just a quick suggestion for you, as I went with a Summon Necro myself. I started out as Bone Spear/Spirit & Corpse Explosion Necro till NM, as the summons don't get good until NM or Hell. I have my Summon Necro in Hell now around lvl 80. You will need to use a Respec at Akara if you go the bone route and then switch to summon in NM, but it's worth it IMO. Summons in Norm are pretty bad. The Bone Necro in Norm is crazy good, rips through mobs no problem, just need lots of mana pots. Just a thought for you!

33 minutes ago, Entrepreneur9535 said:

What about grinding to 98 then do the 5. Quest in A5? Is it always 1 lvl up? 

From what I gather the Barbarian Ancients quest always gives a flat amount of exp. It looks like it's worth 40 million on Hell mode. The reason that this typically turns into a level up is because around level 70 which is when I'd say you naturally fight them on Hell mode you need approximately 30 million exp to level up. So you can technically save it for level 98 and it will save you 13.7% of the 291 million experience you need to get to 99. But this means you can't grind against Baal up to level 98.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can confirm that the Ancients quest is not a flat level -- I did it in Hell difficulty at level 80 or so and only got a fraction of a level.

If someone could find an exploit that lets you repeat that quest, it would make the level 99 trophy trivial. But such a glitch seems unlikely (someone would have found it on PC by now). In online play, there are supposedly some glitches that let you fight Baal even without beating the Ancients (so saving that quest for level 98 is a real option). But like Vextens said, saving it isn't really an option if you're going for level 99 in offline mode, since it locks you out of Hell Baal.

4 hours ago, intec-_- said:

Hey man. Just a quick suggestion for you, as I went with a Summon Necro myself. I started out as Bone Spear/Spirit & Corpse Explosion Necro till NM, as the summons don't get good until NM or Hell. I have my Summon Necro in Hell now around lvl 80. You will need to use a Respec at Akara if you go the bone route and then switch to summon in NM, but it's worth it IMO. Summons in Norm are pretty bad. The Bone Necro in Norm is crazy good, rips through mobs no problem, just need lots of mana pots. Just a thought for you!

Summons are alright you just have to kept casting curses but yeah, theyre pretty useless against diablo right now, i mean he just obliterates them and Yeah im aware of the respec aspect and have given it some thought and its on the back burner for now if i feel like i hit a brick wall and cant progress anymore

im going to keep grinding CS runs so i can get more points dumped into skeleton mastery, and see how that works, like i said im only level 27 right now and my gear is still very lack luster

im prepared to stay in normal and milk the xp until i think its level 40-45 in baal runs until it fizzles out, and then go into nightmare and stay there til about i think its level 75 and then enter hell

thats the plan thus far anyways

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Summons are alright you just have to kept casting curses but yeah, theyre pretty useless against diablo right now, i mean he just obliterates them and Yeah im aware of the respec aspect and have given it some thought and its on the back burner for now if i feel like i hit a brick wall and cant progress anymore

im going to keep grinding CS runs so i can get more points dumped into skeleton mastery, and see how that works, like i said im only level 27 right now and my gear is still very lack luster

im prepared to stay in normal and milk the xp until i think its level 40-45 in baal runs until it fizzles out, and then go into nightmare and stay there til about i think its level 75 and then enter hell

thats the plan thus far anyways

Not a bad plan man! Also, I'm a fellow CT resident, nice to see another! Later 

9 hours ago, Vextens said:

From what I gather the Barbarian Ancients quest always gives a flat amount of exp. It looks like it's worth 40 million on Hell mode. The reason that this typically turns into a level up is because around level 70 which is when I'd say you naturally fight them on Hell mode you need approximately 30 million exp to level up. So you can technically save it for level 98 and it will save you 13.7% of the 291 million experience you need to get to 99. But this means you can't grind against Baal up to level 98.

Precisely.

45 minutes ago, intec-_- said:

Not a bad plan man! Also, I'm a fellow CT resident, nice to see another! Later 

Cheers!

Like some, I played the original off and on for years, i recently made a single player character to revisit the game back when they first announced the remaster in february, to refresh my memory and so i started in softcore but i literally played each difficulty mode until the xp just ran out on its own

you can stretch normal out until i think its the early 40s but by then youre just better off moving to nightmare anyways cuz the xp slows way down by then

i was just more so doing it to see if any gg items would drop in normal, spoiler alert..not so much!

nightmare you can milk it all the way to 75, all the while just trying to get better gear with each passing run

so thats my plan, slow and steady until it hurts, moving at a snails pace until im forced to go onto ng+ and ng++

55 minutes ago, Entrepreneur9535 said:

Maybe its a way to play classic D2 without LoD. I remember it Was easier to reach 99 than LoD

The only time reaching lvl 99 was ever easier than it is now was in the early pre 1.10 LoD patches.  Farming the cow level in 1.09 gave an enormous amount of experience, but it was nerfed in the 1.10 patch well over a decade ago.  Getting to 99 in classic is nearly impossible without botting 24/7.  There is no way to play the 1.09 patch in Diablo 2 Resurrected either as its only possible to revert to old patches on PC in Diablo 2 classic at this point.

Reaching lvl 99 is not impossible in players 1 games either, but it only makes sense to do that if you actually like the game and are committed to finding all the uniques/sets/runes and that sort of thing.  This game was meant to be the sort of game you play forever which is why the experience cap is so high.  You would get to level 99 long before you found all the high runes (assuming you don't cheat with stash duplication to cube high runes you never found legit) or most of the uniques from treasure class 87 (the highest class of drops).  Even finding a windforce was extraordinarily difficult if you played self found only.  Leveling up characters was just something that came naturally when trying to build out characters with the best items in the game.

The devs did mention something about looking into adding the players command to single player console games, but farming efficiently in a players 8 game by yourself is not very easy with many characters or builds.  Enemies get like 450% more life in 1.10+ on players 8 and also deal almost 50% more damage so keeping your minions/mercs alive is more difficult as well.

Edited by Elegy

Hi all, I just did not want to create a new topic for this, but since somebody already wrote in here about level 99 and classic (mode in D2R):

When going for the level 99 HC trophy with an offline Necromancer, does somebody in any way get any profit from playing D2 classic mode in D2R instead of playing D2LoD mode?

3 hours ago, Geridian said:

Hi all, I just did not want to create a new topic for this, but since somebody already wrote in here about level 99 and classic (mode in D2R):

When going for the level 99 HC trophy with an offline Necromancer, does somebody in any way get any profit from playing D2 classic mode in D2R instead of playing D2LoD mode?

Classic will be slower to 99 than in LOD in the current patch, as it appears to be similar to 1.14D. Classic was only faster in 1.09 and earlier patch. Current patch, 1.14D in D2, not Dr2, the classic server chars don't even hit 99 during ladder seasons, as they require 30,000+ Chaos runs. 

I would strongly suggest not playing classic if you plan on going for 99. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2021 at 9:29 AM, Alos88 said:

Is it worth saving the quest for then, knowing this? I thought Baal was the only thing that gave good experience by that point.

I only played the original version on PC but I think they didn't change this, so no - there's no point in doing this. That would be too easy because everyone would lvl up until 98 and then go for the Ancients. They only give a certain amount of experience and that's all.

As for Baal himself, from what I remember people usually focused on the minions before him and then went to the next run. The amount of exp wasn't worth it according to the time you needed to defeat him. The best thing was the drop and that's it but not the exp itself. If there wasn't a sorc in a team then it would take too long (sorceress' static field always did a great job on tough bosses). I think they didn't change the exp system but you have to ask the people who own this version. I just read about it because I loved the original but since there is an incredible amount of time and luck needed then I won't go after the plat. To get to a 99th lvl on HC you have to play it very safely, possibly with a skilled and trusted group of people.

I have a question for you guys - is hammerdin still the best build or did it change? Cheers!

Edited by The-Smiths-85
Corrections.

On 07/10/2021 at 10:03 AM, Elegy said:

You would get to level 99 long before you found all the high runes (assuming you don't cheat with stash duplication to cube high runes you never found legit) or most of the uniques from treasure class 87 (the highest class of drops).  Even finding a windforce was extraordinarily difficult if you played self found only.

That's why they've implemented the trading system. There was a site (I think it still exists) called D2jsp where people traded items and runes were used as a currency. Is the trade option still available in this version?

WF was a great item but that kind of Amazon was mostly good on PVP. I did find a Cham rune once in Arcane Sanctuary on hell difficulty and had like 94th lvl or something so it's not THAT hard. People always farmed runes either on cow level or from certain chests as they have a much higher chance for the drop (the ones with a specific glow around them). I got the Cham from one of the chests in Arcane's Sanct but it's not Zod so the only wise thing was to exchange it for two Vex's etc. You just check the item's level and then search for an area with that level. Then you farm chests and kill the uniques in that area. But you probably know this.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 8:34 AM, The-Smiths-85 said:

That's why they've implemented the trading system. There was a site (I think it still exists) called D2jsp where people traded items and runes were used as a currency. Is the trade option still available in this version?

Yes d2jsp is still alive and well and is the sole reason why my necro is decked out head to toe with completed charms in my inventory and complete merc setup

• Like 1

https://d2.maxroll.gg/guides/summoner-necromancer-guide

This is an excellent guide for a summing necro. However to get through hell quickly, to farm XP hardcore you need high end gear which is very expensive.

If you can get your hands on graverobbers grand charms they are great for your skeles. Out of all the items on the suggested build they are relatively cheap on trading sites. Homunculus and Arm of king Leoric are also great additions and provide great buffs to summoners. If you can get Raise Skeleton and Skeleton Mastery to around L40 you are tearing through hell, Hell Diablo and Baal go down very fast.

If you manage to get Call to Arms as alternate weapons for the Battle Cry buffs and an Infinity Polearm for your merc for the L12 conviction Aura Hell Diablo and Baal die in seconds. Again, VERY expensive build.

Coincidently this is the build I am using for hardcore (minus enigma am too scared to telestomp on Hell Hrdcore). I am serious about getting to L99 hardcore. I have been using P2PAH to pay real money for items. Often traders do not have items listed, you can ask if they can get it for you and they usually can get them for you relatively quickly.