What has been your most favourite racing game?

DaveMcDamage

Nothing ever quite hit the highs of Need for Speed: Most Wanted on PS2. Hell, the entire PS2 generation of arcade racers has never been matched. As much as I still play racing games, it's honestly been since then that I found something I truly love. Most racing games now are very samey and get boring after awhile, or rely so heavily on rubber banding that they just become annoying. This era, knew how to create a racing game that you didn't want to put down until it was finished and even then you probably still played it. Need for Speed to Burnout to Midnight Club to hell fucking NASCAR! were all top tier, even Gran Turismo 3 and 4 were better than they are now. And nothing evoked that high more for me than Most Wanted...coming off of how amazing Underground 1 and 2 already were, Black Box created a true masterpiece with this game, they hit the true pinnacle of Arcade Racing Games to me. I played it again a few months back and had a blast with it...proving that it's not just nostalgia goggles, the game really is just that good. 

And this goes for modern NFS games which are shells what this used to be. I think Most Wanted showed me that it was so good because the driving mechanics were so incredibly tight. I honestly think with the emergence of drifting becoming a staple of racing games now, it ruined the mechanic for me. Drifting was technically a thing in Most Wanted, but it wasn't what turns were based around, you could still go at ultra high speed and hit a turn by breaking a little, nailing it and going right back to it. I think devs now think drifting creates a sense of skill while driving...and I guess it does in a way, but it's also far less fun to me. I far and wide prefer the tighter mechanics of this era of racing games. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

Grid & Grid 2 were great in the PS3 era. 

As far as newer games are concerned, I really liked Dirt 4 for its challenging and realistic rally races. Dirt 5 was underwhelming in comparison - especially on the PS4. It was exponentially better on PS5 with the 120hz framerate option & it utilized haptics really well. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 0:19 PM, IvoryRose88 said:

I liked Split Second the most. I thought it was just flat out fun as hell and i loved the idea of building up super meter to set off huge track changing events. Too bad company went out of buisiness.

Split Second is my absolute favorite racing game ever and it's not even close. All the pertinent info was on the back of the car so you didn't need to look away from the action to see what place you were in or anything. They even set it up for a sequel! I don't know why nobody has copied their formula since.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...